Author Topic: Writing about designer babies  (Read 302 times)  

Offline Sam Rivers

• Planet Earth
  • Sci Fi Writer
    • View Profile
Writing about designer babies
« on: February 28, 2014, 06:50:20 AM »
http://www.parentdish.co.uk/2014/02/28/genetically-modified-babies-with-three-parents-could-be-born-in-uk-2015/

My family has a Mitochondrial Disease that affects me and my brothers and sisters. So this article was especially interesting to me.  There is no cure, but this may be a way of preventing the diseases from being passed along.  Since the genetic disease is passed on only from the mother, my youngest sister has girls that could pass it on.

When I read this article, it gave me some ideas to incorporate into my science fiction series.  Of course, science fiction is quickly becoming reality, so you could incorporate it into other types of fiction too.  Designer babies could result from this medical procedure.

I thought I would pass this on to you and maybe you could see some use for it in your stories.

Offline vrabinec

• View Profile
Re: Writing about designer babies
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2014, 07:00:49 AM »
This has been getting incorporated into sci-fi for decades. Lots of good books out there with cautionary tales.

Bedrich Pasek VIII | Website

Offline Deke

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2014, 07:14:00 AM »
Can't remember the author, but I read a great story a decade ago about babies designed not to need any sleep.  And this week there is news of both baby-designing, and a gene that some folks have that compressed the usual 8-hour sleep cycle into 4 hours. Those sci-fi writers sure are smart.

Dale Kutzera | Website

Offline Going Incognito

• It's always the quiet ones...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2014, 01:30:26 PM »
Just read about the two mom/ one dad mix in my paper this morning, and then saw it here.

On the other note, if I'd had a baby that didn't sleep I don't think I would have survived. Nap times help with moms sanity.

Buy Scrivener for Windows or Mac