Author Topic: Getting music back by returning to factory settings  (Read 765 times)  

Offline WestPointer1968

• Goose Crek, SC
    • View Profile
Getting music back by returning to factory settings
« on: March 17, 2014, 11:53:29 AM »
It has been suggested that I return my original Kindle to factory setting in order to get my music functioning again.  I understand that I will have to download EVERYTHING I now have on the device.  Will I download from the Cloud or must I be on my account at Manage My Kindle?  I love getting my emails, but don't remember how easy or difficult this was to set up.  Would rather go without the music than without the emails.  Suggestions pls!

John

John

Offline The Hooded Claw

• Oklahoma
  • Card-carrying melodrama villain
    • View Profile
    • All about me....<hee hee>
Re: Getting music back by returning to factory settings
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2014, 03:24:04 PM »
I haven't had an original Fire, but I believe on my hdx, there is an option in settings to "restore all settings to factory defaults." With any Android device, there will be an option to do a "factory reset." (That may not be the precise language). These are two different things. The second one scrubs your device of all the stuff you've downloaded, as you mention. Doing the second one would mean you'd have to reinstall your apps, plus any books or videos you've downloaded. Are you sure which one you want?

Setting up your email account again should just be a matter of choosing your email provider and typing in the login and password. Not onerous unless you want to do work email with security or some such. I've never done that, so can't advise about it.

(Make your own reading bar)
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."  - Albert Einstein

Online Betsy the Quilter

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
  • Administrator
  • Alexandria, VA
  • Love all, moderate all, to quote my friend Harvey
    • View Profile
    • Betsy True Designs
Re: Getting music back by returning to factory settings
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2014, 04:50:12 PM »
What there is on the HDX is "Reset to Factory Defaults."  That's the only option on the Fire, and as I recall, it's pretty much the same language on all of the Fires.

As I recall from the last time I did it, I had to reinstall all of my apps and music, etc.  I think the last time I de-registered and re-registered, the content remained on the device.

John, you wil be able to redownload from the cloud.  All content available for the Fire will be available from the cloud, just as it is now.

As Claw says, setting up email is not difficult and fairly straightforward for most email addresses.

Betsy
Goodreads Goal -- 75 books

Joined 10/27/2008  | Miss you, Harvey, Jeff & Dona!
Harvey Chute (1962-2015), KB Founder

Proud Owner: Oasis/Voyage/Touch/Basic/K1/Fire HDX
Betsy True Designs Facebook | My Store