Author Topic: Whew! Lack of sales for a new book was making me start to panic.  (Read 733 times)  

Offline swolf

• View Profile
I have a program that I use to keep track of my sales, where I copy and paste the daily KDP report into it and it parses the numbers and shows the results.  I published a book under my main pen name a week ago, which I had been working on and off on for the past few months.

So, I published it, and watched the numbers. First day, no sales.  That's odd for this pen name, but okay, the tectonic plates of self-publishing are shifting, so I need to adjust.  Next day, no sales.  Same for the next and the next and the next.  A week goes by, and zero sales.  Zip.   Something is seriously wrong.  Has my readership abandoned me?  I'm thinking I'm going to have to pull out some phone numbers and try to get my old day job back.

Finally, today I noticed what the problem was.  Since I'd been working on the book for so long, I'd forgotten I'd already added it to my sales program.  So I'd added it again at the bottom.  So the program was putting all the sales in the first entry, and the second entry was getting nada. 

I can breath again.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 07:21:29 AM by swolf »

Online Desmond X. Torres

• Kingston, Ontario Canada
  • Transplant from The Bronx to Canada
    • View Profile
Re: Whew! Lack of sales for a new book was making me start to panic.
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2014, 07:41:43 AM »
I'm holding my breath by proxy over here!
So, you're getting sales or what?
Sheesh!  ;D
Crawley House: A tale of The Hauntings of Kingston

If you're new and need some guidance on setting up Mailchimp, I have a thread on it here at Kboards:http://www.kboards.com/index.php?topic=165780.msg2374500#msg2374500

Offline SB James

• View Profile
    • SB James Doing the Write Thing
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2014, 07:45:37 AM »

I can breath again.
So can I  :o
As someone ready to release a new book, I was looking at that and thinking all kinds of foul things!
Glad you cleared it up! :)
« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 07:47:09 AM by SB James »

Author and Artist
SB James | WordPress | Twitter | Facebook | Goodreads | Pinterest | Google+ | Website

Online Mark E. Cooper

• Essex, England
    • View Profile
    • Impulse Books UK
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2014, 07:50:13 AM »
is this program something shareable/usable by the rest of the community? It sounds useful.

Offline swolf

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2014, 08:25:23 AM »
I'm holding my breath by proxy over here!
So, you're getting sales or what?
Sheesh!  ;D

Yes, it's actually my best seller so far this month.

Offline swolf

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2014, 08:32:01 AM »
is this program something shareable/usable by the rest of the community? It sounds useful.

I've tried sharing it in the past, and it didn't go too well, with people having trouble installing it and getting it to run.  It works for me, but I haven't taken the steps to polish it for others.  It's written in Visual Studio C#, so if anyone has that and wants to play around with it, I don't mind sharing the source code.

Buy Scrivener for Windows or Mac