Why not Join Amazon Kindle Unlimited 30-Day Free Trial?

Author Topic: Yikes!! Morning freak-out!  (Read 869 times)  

Offline pagegirl

• View Profile
    • Paige Rion
Yikes!! Morning freak-out!
« on: March 30, 2014, 07:25:01 AM »
My cover reveal for my first novel was today. So, I wake up and go to check some of the sites to see the posts and to my horror they all have the wrong bio. Apparently there's another Paige Ryan and the tour host assumed we were one and the same!  :o  My book is a new adult romance and the other Paige's bio talks about vampire books and the occult. Sheesh!
  :-X (<<<<I don't even know what that face means but it looked appropriate.)

Now that I've had my morning freak-out and contacted 40 bloggers--yes, 40!--I wanted to come on here and vent.  Goodreads also had us as one and the same, which freaked me out more than the blogs, but they actually fixed the problem within minutes. Make me wonder though, if with every new release, this will happen on Goodreads and they'll lump my book with hers or vice versa.

Have any of you ever had this problem? Surely I'm not the only one with a duplicate author name.

PS- if you PM'd me yesterday about a guest post, I'm going to reply asap

Offline Rick Gualtieri

• NJ
  • Renaissance Geek
    • View Profile
    • RickGualtieri.com
Re: Yikes!! Morning freak-out!
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2014, 07:30:30 AM »
Ugh, sorry to hear it.  Next time make sure you send out a bio with all of your info rather than letting people just go to Amazon and grab it.  That should save you some heartache in the future.

Making fantasy fun again, one corpse at a time
Rick Gualtieri | Website | Twitter | Facebook | Bill The Vampire on Facebook | YouTube

Offline pagegirl

• View Profile
    • Paige Rion
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2014, 07:38:48 AM »
I know, not very smart of me. She didn't ask for it though, so I assumed that she didn't put bio's with her cover reveals.
*sigh*

Offline KateDanley

• View Profile
    • KateDanley.com
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2014, 07:39:57 AM »
Oh no!  I am so sorry that this happened to you!  What a headache...  I know this is unwanted news, but looking into my crystal ball (and remembering some threads on this topic from ages ago), I can see that this is going to be a continuing issue as your publishing career grows.  *insert the sound of wind chimes and a cawing crow*  Have you considered adding a middle initial to your author name?  Or calling yourself "Page" instead of "Paige" (you wouldn't have to change a thing on your website.  Great graphic!  And dropping the "i" it still totally works!)?  Or picking up a pen name?  As awful as it is, it is an understandable mix-up, and I'm afraid it will just get worse over time.  If either of your careers skyrocket, there have been known to be lawsuits over use of the same author name.  Readers get grumpy that they thought they were getting one author and got another.  You'll start getting reviews asking where the vampires are.  It's just messy.  All that said, this sort of headache is no way to start a Sunday morning.  Get thee some coffee and the funny pages! 
« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 07:41:48 AM by KateDanley »

Kate Danley | Website | Facebook | Blog | Newsletter | Instagram

Offline Danni

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2014, 07:59:49 AM »
Specify on your next tour to only use the attachments you provide. Some bloggers save files and when my girl sends them the info for a tour, instead of using all the data we provide, they sometimes pull the old bio from their files. So sorry, but hopefully they got all your links correct.

I agree with Kate that as an idea, you could tweak your name just a little so going forward, there won't be a mix-up. It's much easier to do if you aren't published yet.  Something to keep in mind is a lot of new adult romance authors use first and middle initials if you wanted to consider that as well.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 08:03:00 AM by Danni »

Offline EliseInAZ

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2014, 08:07:57 AM »
Sorry this happened to you!

I Googled my name before setting up a website, blog, etc. to make sure I wouldn't run into any of this confusion. Elise is such an unusual name, I haven't known too many others in my life. Imagine my surprise when the first Elise Stone that came up was an Off-Broadway actress in New York (where I was born). It was at that point that I decided to use my middle initial in my author name to make sure it was unique. Since that time, some upstart architect in the Midwest has assumed top billing for the Elise Stone name. There are a couple of others who make the first page of the Google search.

However, if you put in my middle initial and search for Elise M Stone, you get me.  :)

Mystery, romance, and adventure in the Desert Southwest.
Elise M. Stone | Blog

Offline pagegirl

• View Profile
    • Paige Rion
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2014, 08:26:58 AM »
I know this is unwanted news, but looking into my crystal ball (and remembering some threads on this topic from ages ago), I can see that this is going to be a continuing issue as your publishing career grows.  *insert the sound of wind chimes and a cawing crow*  Have you considered adding a middle initial to your author name?  Or calling yourself "Page" instead of "Paige" (you wouldn't have to change a thing on your website.  Great graphic!  And dropping the "i" it still totally works!)?  Or picking up a pen name?  As awful as it is, it is an understandable mix-up, and I'm afraid it will just get worse over time.  If either of your careers skyrocket, there have been known to be lawsuits over use of the same author name.  Readers get grumpy that they thought they were getting one author and got another.  You'll start getting reviews asking where the vampires are.  It's just messy.  All that said, this sort of headache is no way to start a Sunday morning.

Ugh! Ugh! Ugh! Do you really think I should change it? I'd have to probably pay my cover artist to change the name on my cover, along with my author logo. It would be a lot of work for her to do for free, since there's several files she'd have to change it on. Then the bloggers who are going to host on the tour in April/May will need to know of the change, etc. Now, I don't know what to do!! What a nightmare.

Offline KateDanley

• View Profile
    • KateDanley.com
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2014, 08:56:24 AM »
Ugh...  I TOTALLY feel you.  But honestly?  If I were in your shoes, I would make the change.  Do a search on Google and Amazon to make sure the name you want to change to isn't taken, and then set the wheels in motion.  It's a hassle, but will help your sales and sales platform in the long run.  The cover artist shouldn't charge you anything for such a simple change.  The logo (depending upon what you do) may be more of a big deal.  And then the blogger fun... But it will be worth it.  I promise!

Offline Sarah M

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2014, 09:01:47 AM »
I'm sorry that happened, I can totally sympathize. 

I made a ton of mistakes on my cover reveal info, including accidentally sending the wrong blurb to the tour director, complete with grammar mistakes galore. *wince* What I had to start doing was attaching the OFFICIAL blurb and the OFFICIAL author bio in separate Word documents to keep things straight.   

Offline Cherise

• Spokane, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2014, 09:05:29 AM »
You will need to get a new domain name for your website, too, so check that first as well.

Sucks, but I agree you should do it.

Offline Danni

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2014, 09:25:49 AM »
It's kind of nice that you're not an established author having to deal with this, so you can weigh the pros and cons.

FYI: Giving bloggers an updated file with revised information is no biggie. My event organizer has done this before when I gave her updated information, and she'd send a revised html file to the bloggers.

I'm curious if the other author will continue to publish since they haven't been active on their website or facebook page since early 2013. If they stay inactive, the only negative aspect I could see would be someone looking for you and buying their book by accident, or vice versa, and it impacting reviews. If they suddenly publish a slew of books this year that hit the top 100, that could get a lot of vampire fans buying your books. Or vice versa, say you hit big and fans pick up those vampire books thinking you wrote them.

Just note that some authors who have experienced 'same name' have experienced problems with readers confusing them and buying the wrong book and writing a review thinking that the author they like wrote it. I'm curious if an author can do anything if someone begins publishing using their name, but I think that it's only a bigger problem when they mirror their branding in an obvious ploy to confuse and steal readers.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 09:28:20 AM by Danni »

Offline pagegirl

• View Profile
    • Paige Rion
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2014, 09:42:01 AM »
I think that it's only a bigger problem when they mirror their branding in an obvious ploy to confuse and steal readers.

That would really suck.

Offline SunshineOnMe

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2014, 09:53:19 AM »
I'm so sorry this happened to you! I'm sure it will get straightened out. I personally don't think any damage was done, if anything it added to your mystique. :)

Online Becca Mills

• California
    • View Profile
    • The Active Voice
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2014, 10:00:05 AM »
Having an author name that doesn't duplicate anyone else's is a good idea. I did some searches on "Becca Mills" before I chose it.

Offline Sapphire

• Omaha NE
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2014, 10:02:01 AM »
I'd guess the charge from your cover artist will be much less than you think. Get that middle initial in there!

Offline pagegirl

• View Profile
    • Paige Rion
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2014, 10:39:00 AM »
Do you think a middle initial would be enough?

Offline pagegirl

• View Profile
    • Paige Rion
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2014, 10:47:19 AM »
Also, I'm not ral good with this kind of stuff, but if I have to change my domain, is there a way to transfer web traffic?

Offline KateDanley

• View Profile
    • KateDanley.com
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2014, 10:55:29 AM »
Also, I'm not ral good with this kind of stuff, but if I have to change my domain, is there a way to transfer web traffic?

It should be super easy!  Whatever site you used to purchase your domain should have something called domain forwarding.  You just type in the URL you want your domain to go to, and VOILA! 

And I did a little more research on this and found a legal site which talks about the risks and realities of two authors having the same name.  It might be useful as you weigh your options.

http://forum.freeadvice.com/copyrights-trademarks-39/can-2-authors-same-name-run-into-legal-problems-476790.html

Offline pagegirl

• View Profile
    • Paige Rion
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2014, 11:03:21 AM »
Thank you so much, Kate! I really appreciate it. What a headache! I think I am going to go ahead and change it. I'm taking this as a "God wink" and thinking that this little incident is a warning. I'm going to change the spelling to "Paige Rion."

Thank you so much everyone for your input and feedback  :)

Offline Andrew Butcher

• Northampton, England.
    • View Profile
    • Andrew Butcher Official Author Website
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2014, 11:23:51 AM »
What a stressful start to your day! My situation isn't as bad as yours, but I can I understand some of your frustration.

There's another author called Andrew Butcher, and the librarians on Goodreads keep putting my books under his profile and I keep having to change them to appear on mine. Haha. Also, the iTunes store associates my books with his, and every now and then another website will mix up our bios and books.

For small websites, I mostly ignore it, because this other Andrew Butcher doesn't appear to be writing anymore (hasn't released anything in a while) and he writes in a different genre. I hope that once readers look a little further into the books and our profiles, they will realise we are different writers.

I do have the concern that one of my readers will buy his books thinking they are mine, but I want to keep writing under my name, so I can only try my best to separate our info.

From what I can find about this other Paige Ryan, she doesn't seem very established and hasn't released a book in about a year. I'd keep your name as it is if I were you and just try to make yourself THE Paige Ryan. Your readers will get to know you for your genre anyway. I doubt many will think those other books are yours. Also, a lot of your readers, who enjoy adult romance, probably won't jump from that to vampire/occult books (unless they already like both genres). Some would, if they really loved your writing, but most would probably wouldn't. I just don't think that, at the moment, the issue of readers confusing you with the other author will affect sales much.

It may become annoying having to keep contacting Goodreads and other websites though.

I don't like the idea of changing the spelling of your surname to something unconventional like 'Rion'.

Imagine if your books take off and someone is telling their friend about you, pronouncing 'Rion' as 'Ryan' or possibly even 'Ree-on'. Their friend will go home and search your name the way they think it would be spelt, based on how their friend said it. They'd search probably ' Paige Ryan.'

Strange spellings just equal effort for some people. I'm like, 'Who's that author I was going to search for? They had a weird name ... It was spelt differently, like the letters were mixed around or something ...' and then I give up and never search for them. Or I attempt it and spell it wrong and fail ... and give up.

I honestly don't think the legal issues of this have any stock to them. It's your birth name (I'm assuming). It's your legal name.  Surely you are allowed to legally publish work under your legal name. Also, how can you know for sure that a 'Paige Rion' hasn't published something somewhere in the world?

I hope this is helpful.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 11:27:20 AM by Andrew Butcher »
Author of the contemporary fantasy Lansin Island Series. Read about visions, witches, ghosts, and murder, as a larger mythology is steadily unravelled.
Andrew Butcher | Author Website | Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Goodreads | Google+ | Youtube | Newsletter

Offline Cherise

• Spokane, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2014, 04:43:00 PM »
I agree with Andrew that changing the spelling of your name won't be enough to fix this. I recommend your first two initials and your last name, which is common in NA.

Offline CindyCarroll

• Southern Ontario
    • View Profile
    • Cindy Carroll - Author
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2014, 07:25:57 PM »
So sorry this happened to you.

I have the same issue. When I first registered my domain (1999) there was no other Cindy Carroll author. When I launched my website (2005) there wasn't another one then either. But in 2006 another Cindy Carroll self published a book. Just the one. There hasn't been another one since then so I've been lucky that way. I thought about adding a middle initial or taking a pen name. But I'd been promoting myself under my name for years. In the end I decided to add a logo to the cover of all of my books to differentiate them from her one book. When I release a new book I have to be the first one to add it to Goodreads or it will get added under the wrong name.

It's not an easy situation to deal with.