Kindle Forum banner

Kindle DX Review by Wired Magazine

14K views 33 replies 12 participants last post by  cheerio 
#1 ·
http://www.wired.com/reviews/product/pr_0609_kindle_dx
Supersized Kindle DX Makes E-Reading Easy for a Supersized Price

Another Kindle? It seems that it was only four months ago that we saw a new version of Amazon's e-reader. In fact, it was only four months ago the Kindle 2 arrived on February 9. What's the June release have that the February one doesn't?

Size seems to matter to the folks at Amazon. While the Kindle 2 has a 6-inch (measured diagonally) e-ink screen - roughly the area of a mass-market paperback book - the DX's 9.7-inch screen resembles a page from a typical hardback. Put another way, the DX flaunts 2.5 times more display space. More text on a page means more lines and, if you prefer, a bigger font, without having to turn the page as often. What does that mean for you? It's easier to read via the DX.

Best of all, the DX was engineered not to feel big. Virtually the same thickness as the Kindle 2, the 19-ounce heft won't tax your wrists. Its keyboard is actually a little smaller than the Kindle 2's, so almost all of the DX's front surface is covered by the screen. This feels less gadgety, more tablety. It's very comfortable to hold, and as with the Kindle 2, the DX becomes invisible once you become entranced by an author's spell.

The reader's appearance is further streamlined by its absence of buttons on the left-hand side of the unit; the controls to turn pages have migrated exclusively to the right side. Even though I'm a righty, and do most of my page turning from that side, I do miss the Kindle 2's Next page button on the left, which I use when reading in bed, head propped up by my right arm. With the DX, I find myself reaching across the page with my left hand to turn the screen, giving me a sense of the difficulties that southpaws may face with the DX. Amazon's suggested fix is using the DX's controls to invert the page image, and flipping the unit so the keyboard is on top. But that gives lefties an upside down QWERTY.

Battery life is similar to Kindle 2. In line with Amazon's claims, my test unit went four days with the wireless on before a warning message appeared. I assume that, as with the other model, you can go almost two weeks if you turn off the wireless.

The most glaring hindrance of the DX is its price. It costs $490 - more than the original Kindle cost at its launch 19 months ago. Even Apple, which operates on a premium pricing philosophy, typically introduces its improved models at the cost of the previous one. You'd expect the DX to come in at $400, with the Kindle 2 tariff (which remains at $370) dropped to $300. That's plenty for a device that sends you directly to the manufacturer to buy books.

By elegantly supersizing the Kindle - and ramping up its ability to read files - Amazon has improved the best all-around e-reader available. But the hefty price tag doesn't fit Jeff Bezo's stated philosophy of getting the best value for his customers.

WIRED Big-screen device that's even more readable than the original Kindle. PDF support is a welcome addition.

TIRED High cost of admission. Pivot mode has hair trigger. Southpaws will find the reader cumbersome.

#3 ·
Review is from June which does not include the new international version

#5 ·
I agree with his review entirely. I ended up sending my DX in and exchanging for the K2i. I'm a lefty, and I missed having the navigation buttons on the left, and the constant shifting of orientation was, well, disorienting. I'm much happier with my small and cheaper K2. It would have been great if I weren't planning to travel with it or if I was right-handed.

#7 ·
I'm right-handed and I really miss the navigation buttons on the left side of my DX.  I tend to read while doing other things that require my right hand so I hold the Kindle in my left - turning pages is a little challenging.  (I don't like rotating the device - the balance is off with the keyboard at the top).

#8 ·
Andra said:
I'm right-handed and I really miss the navigation buttons on the left side of my DX. I tend to read while doing other things that require my right hand so I hold the Kindle in my left - turning pages is a little challenging. (I don't like rotating the device - the balance is off with the keyboard at the top).
Ya, I'd say you are right on, since I'm right handed too, but I got used to it, and I think its good for the brain when you train it to do things its not accustomed to.

#9 ·
Never really thought about dominate hands being a factor wit a Kindle

#11 ·
being how 90% of people are right handed, I guess I am prejudice towards it and forget about left handers

#13 ·
I wish the price would start to fall on these so i could upgrade

#17 ·
I am right handed as well.  I also enjoy reading while doing other things.  Like drinking coffee, cooking, driving.....kidding, ect.  BUT here is what I do, which I prefer to do because it gives me the extra strength and support that I need to hold the slight weight of the DX.  I hold it on my left forearm, with my fingers reaching the buttons from behind and around the DX.  Can you picture what I mean?  This is how I would hold another book if I were reading an actual book and my right hand was busy.  And thats not to say that at times, even with my right hand I hold it this way anyway, for the extra support. :)

#18 ·
SunshineTart said:
I am right handed as well. I also enjoy reading while doing other things. Like drinking coffee, cooking, driving.....kidding, ect. BUT here is what I do, which I prefer to do because it gives me the extra strength and support that I need to hold the slight weight of the DX. I hold it on my left forearm, with my fingers reaching the buttons from behind and around the DX. Can you picture what I mean? This is how I would hold another book if I were reading an actual book and my right hand was busy. And thats not to say that at times, even with my right hand I hold it this way anyway, for the extra support. :)
Yea, I can totally picture, as I do some of the same. My left hand has gotten quite adept at it too.

#19 ·
I'm left-handed and the locations of the buttons didn't bother me at all. I will mostly read the DX while it is in its Oberon cover. I will hod it just  like a hard cover book. Just like with a book, I will use my right hand to "flip" the page.

I wouldn't let this be a show-stopper.

#20 ·
barth said:
I'm left-handed and the locations of the buttons didn't bother me at all. I will mostly read the DX while it is in its Oberon cover. I will hod it just like a hard cover book. Just like with a book, I will use my right hand to "flip" the page.

I wouldn't let this be a show-stopper.
Not a show stopper, but a definite consideration. The buttons on the left, plus the heavier weight, higher price tag, and the larger size all combined to convince me the DX wasn't the right choice for me.

#21 ·
Eventually newer version will change, hopefully a lower price and a lighter unit

#23 ·
Personally I have a K2 bu that is because it fitted my needs, DX had extra features I wouldn't use

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.