Author Topic: Problem with free wi-fi in a bagel shop in Atlanta  (Read 2115 times)  

Offline mlewis78

• New York, NY
  • Member #3406
    • View Profile
Problem with free wi-fi in a bagel shop in Atlanta
« on: May 05, 2014, 10:52:54 PM »
I went away May 1-4 for my nephew's wedding in Atlanta.  I was offline the entire time.  I took my Kindle Fire HDX (8.9") but left my heavy ipad2 at home.  My hotel charged about $15/day for wi-fi/internet, so I did not get it.  I had breakfast Sunday at a bagel shop (Einstein's bagels that are nothing like NY bagels) that supposedly has free wi-fi.  I got onto their wi-fi, which was called "bagel.net".  My fire showed as being on wi-fi, but I was unable to access the internet, so my email, facebook and NY Times apps would not show any more than they did on May 1 at home.  I asked one of the employees, but they only told me to get the password or code from the tv screen in the shop.  The screen only said bagelnet, which is the name of the wi-fi network.  I don't think that was a password, and my fire did not ask for a password.

Has anyone else had a problem connected to internet with their fire hdx while away from home? 

When I got home, I got right on my wi-fi network and my email updated.  At the Atlanta airport on Sunday, there was a charge for internet at the gate, so I could not get on there either.  I was suprised about this, because at LaGuardia when I left NYC, they had free ipads with internet all over the place -- gate and in restaurants near the gate.  I think this was supposed to be an incentive to order food through the ipad.  Most people were using their own phones, laptops or ipads, but I did check email on one of their ipads.  When I saw all the ipads at LaGuardia, I figured this was a standard airport service, but they had none in Atlanta (this was my first air travel in 7 years).
New York, NY
Flutist, Legal Services Professional
Readers:  Paperwhite 2 (2013), Fire HD6 (2014 pink), 2012 K4(black), K4(silver), KFHD 7", K3 that won't charge, Kindle DX (US), Sony PRS-350, B&N Nook STR and Bookeen Cybook Opus

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Laugh Loud. Run Fast. Be Kind.
    • View Profile
Re: Problem with free wi-fi in a bagel shop in Atlanta
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2014, 03:55:44 AM »
Often, with the public spots run by a restaurant or something, you can connect easily, but have to go to their home page and check a box and sign in before you can actually do anything.  Some work better than others. :( Honestly, I don't think it's an issue with your Fire, but rather with the way they're network is set up and, sadly, the person you asked was clueless and unhelpful.

In the airport, the people using their own iPads or other tablets were probably using their own cell service and not any free public hotspot.

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis 2016
AquaKindle
Godric's Hollow (Basic)
S7Edge (KApp for Android)
Galaxy (KApp for Android)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR

Offline cinisajoy

• Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2014, 08:47:43 AM »
I bet I know what happened.  Sometimes you have to long press or try again.  Also if it is showing you are on, click on the browser.  That may bring up the page you need to check.
And then there are some places that even though it says free internet, the internet only works with certain devices.   I learned that at a pizza place.  My fire would not connect but my cheap tablet would.
http://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,216185.msg3013849.html#new

Please help our friend and fellow kboarder Craig Hansen.

Offline Seamonkey

• Fountain Valley, CA
    • View Profile
    • TV Clubhouse
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2014, 10:21:15 AM »
I use wifi at various places and results can vary, from day to day, even on the same networks.  Bringing up the browser can sometimes produce that magic place where you have to type in agree or some other word or check a box.. and even then it can take awhile to actrually give you internet access.

Other times it works just fine.  YMMV for sure.

Even at home now and then I am "connected" to my wifi but there's an x over the icon..  annoying if I'm upstairs wanting to check email before emerging from bed and not wanting to come downstairs where it may connect or may require unplugging and plugging the box.

(Make your own reading bar)

SeaSnork on Words with Friends

Offline Betsy the Quilter

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
  • Administrator
  • Alexandria, VA
  • Love all, moderate all, to quote my friend Harvey
    • View Profile
    • Betsy True Designs
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2014, 03:45:02 PM »
Sometimes restarting the device helps, too.

Betsy
Goodreads Goal -- 75 books

Joined 10/27/2008  | Miss you, Harvey, Jeff & Dona!
Harvey Chute (1962-2015), KB Founder

Proud Owner: Oasis/Voyage/Touch/Basic/K1/Fire HDX
Betsy True Designs Facebook | My Store

Offline mlewis78

• New York, NY
  • Member #3406
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2014, 11:55:32 PM »
Thanks, everyone.  Occasionally at home, I lose the internet connection on my fire hdx, even though wi-fi is on, but usually if I reboot my router it works.  It's not as much of a problem with my ipad2.

The bagel shop people were busy waiting on customers, so I didn't try to take up much of their time (except to buy something to eat and tell them I couldn't get online).

(BTW, I was pleased to get back to my NYC bagel shop on Monday (where I take them out to eat at home).  The man who waited on me told me that our bagels are better here because of the water.  I think the recipe has something to do with it, though.)
New York, NY
Readers:  Paperwhite 2 (2013), Fire HD6 (2014 pink), 2012 K4(black), K4(silver), KFHD 7", K3 that won't charge, Kindle DX (US), Sony PRS-350, B&N Nook STR and Bookeen Cybook Opus

Offline Meemo

• NW Florida
  • KB Member #43
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2014, 09:58:00 PM »
Thanks, everyone.  Occasionally at home, I lose the internet connection on my fire hdx, even though wi-fi is on, but usually if I reboot my router it works.  It's not as much of a problem with my ipad2.

The bagel shop people were busy waiting on customers, so I didn't try to take up much of their time (except to buy something to eat and tell them I couldn't get online).

(BTW, I was pleased to get back to my NYC bagel shop on Monday (where I take them out to eat at home).  The man who waited on me told me that our bagels are better here because of the water.  I think the recipe has something to do with it, though.)

Speaking as an Atlanta native, you probably should've gone somewhere for biscuits - preferably with gravy.  ;)  I've never had bagels in NY, or anything else for that matter (have only passed through JFK a few times) but I wouldn't go there and order biscuits. I'd most definitely get bagels in NY tho.

We flew through ATL last week and had free wifi on our concourse. I had no problem connecting on my phone, DH had trouble connecting at first.
Kindling since August 2008, 1st gen Oasis, PW2, 2 Fire HD6s, iPad Mini

Offline mlewis78

• New York, NY
  • Member #3406
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2014, 11:14:16 PM »
Speaking as an Atlanta native, you probably should've gone somewhere for biscuits - preferably with gravy.  ;)  I've never had bagels in NY, or anything else for that matter (have only passed through JFK a few times) but I wouldn't go there and order biscuits. I'd most definitely get bagels in NY tho.

We flew through ATL last week and had free wifi on our concourse. I had no problem connecting on my phone, DH had trouble connecting at first.

Two hours after the egg/cheese on bagel at Einstein's, I was at the airport and bought Bojangles fried chicken breast with biscuit and fries.  Didn't finish the chicken or fries, because we boarded sooner than I expected, but the biscuit was wonderful (no gravy) and I finished it.
New York, NY

Offline Meemo

• NW Florida
  • KB Member #43
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2014, 09:04:28 PM »
Hmm I didn't notice a Bojangles on the concourses we were on - may have to see if we can find one on the way home. My mom loved Bojangles and I'm pretty sure I remember her especially loving the biscuits. But I don't think I've ever eaten at one.
Kindling since August 2008, 1st gen Oasis, PW2, 2 Fire HD6s, iPad Mini

Offline mlewis78

• New York, NY
  • Member #3406
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2014, 09:23:44 PM »
Hmm I didn't notice a Bojangles on the concourses we were on - may have to see if we can find one on the way home. My mom loved Bojangles and I'm pretty sure I remember her especially loving the biscuits. But I don't think I've ever eaten at one.

This was the first Bojangles I'd ever been in.  It was close to my gate (Delta - Terminal T).  Thee was also a nice shop there that had ILI leather wallets and bags.  I was tempted to buy something but didn't.
New York, NY