Author Topic: Fire HDX 7" wifi disconnects?  (Read 1547 times)  

Offline Speaker-To-Animals

• View Profile
Fire HDX 7" wifi disconnects?
« on: May 13, 2014, 10:42:46 AM »
I picked up a 7" HDX over the recent sale and I'm finding it disconnects regularly from wifi. The display shows that it's connected, but pages stop loading. Sometimes it seems to reconnect after trying to load for 5 or 10 seconds. Sometimes it requires turning wi-fi off and back on at which point it's fine. This is on 5 ghz if that makes any difference.

I've tried the usual stuff, I'm a network person in my evil day job. The router is fine. We have other tablets, laptops, Roku, TIVO, etc attached plus I had it do it once on another router at work. I've reset the HDX twice. I've found a lot of comments elsewhere that this is a common problem, but before I sent it back I'm wondering if anyone here has had the problem and found a fix?

Offline bssterl

• View Profile
Re: Fire HDX 7" wifi disconnects?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2014, 07:27:04 PM »
I have a similar problem.  I regularly lose connection to my network and toggle wifi on the HDX to restore the connection.  It seems like the network was stable after a factory reset, so I'm wondering if it could be related to an app.  I don't want to reload all my apps & books so I haven't tried again.  It seems to disconnect when it goes into a power save mode, or when I'm playing a game or reading a book.  I haven't noticed it disconnecting while downloading a file, browsing the web or streaming. 
« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 07:36:52 PM by bssterl »

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2014, 08:09:56 AM »
It could be some kind of energy saving disconnect because I never have a problem when I'm actively surfing, but having a horrible fit of nostalgia for my youth, I got a sub to Marvel Unlimited and I've been binging on the last mumble-mumble years of comic books I missed. They take me about ten minutes to go through an issue at which point, I need to download another. That might be just long enough to trigger some kind of energy saving mode and just frequent enough to annoy the heck out of me.

Offline VydorScope

• USA
  • "Perseverance over skill, every time"-- V. Trigili
    • View Profile
    • My Novels
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2014, 04:44:30 PM »
Odd I have not had this problem, but I have a 7" HD. I would call Amazon at this point and see what they say.
Vincent 
"INDESCRIBABLY ALLURING" -- S.M. Reine
My Author Website | Pinterest | Facebook | Twitter | My Deviant Art Gallery

Offline bssterl

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2014, 08:40:03 PM »
I didn't notice this with my 7" HD - only my 7" HDX.

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2014, 06:25:52 AM »
We have an HD for our daughter and I liked it so much I got the HDX. No problems on the HD and we're going berserk on the freetime unlimited, so I am doing a lot of downloads.

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2014, 10:50:00 AM »
FWIW I switched to the non-secure connection and haven't had a problem since.

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

Offline WagsWife

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2014, 12:37:27 PM »
I have the same issue with my 8.9 LTE HDX.  Like you, it does not turn off when I'm actively browsing, however it routinely drops the WiFi when I pause for a few minutes.  It drives me crazy. Interestingly enough, we had to get a new modem from Comcast a few months ago, and the WiFi (on the HDX) stopped dropping.  A couple of weeks ago, that new modem burned out and had to be replaced...since then the dropping has started again :/

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2014, 05:35:57 PM »
Nix that. Nothing but disconnects tonight. I surrender, back to Zon it goes. I just wish the regular fire hd was still on sale.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk

Offline maryjf45

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2014, 06:42:12 AM »
My new 8.9 HDX doesn't automatically reconnect to my home WiFi, and I have a bit of trouble getting it to connect, unlike my 8.9 HD. It says the WiFi is on, but it isn't.  I suspect it's a power-saving thing gone wrong - such a pain. Unlike some people, I found no noticeable difference in power usage with my HD whether I had the WiFi on or off.
You could be having app problems. I go into device settings, click on applications, click on the "all applications" line to get "running applications", to see what's running in the background. I also uninstall apps that I only need occasionally. The 1mobile app, especially, as it's always running and trying to update apps and push its site. These apps that keep running behind the scenes, whether on computer or device , steal computing power and slow things down, or worse, cause problems.

Offline Vin DeLoach

• North Carolina
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Author Page
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2014, 06:32:09 AM »
I've had the same issue with my 7" Kindle HDX that I got at Christmas. Its the only device in our house that regularly loses its WiFi connection, and it seems to happen when I have paused active use and then pick it up again. It's aggravating to have to turn WiFi off and back on a couple of times a day.
Vin DeLoach | Facebook Page

Offline LauraElizabeth

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2014, 08:47:38 AM »
I began having this problem a couple of months ago. I would have to do a hard restart several times per day.

I erased everything off my kindle and the problem went away for about a month. Now it is happening again. I have the 64GB but have <14 GB being used. Surely that is not too much????

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2014, 08:02:48 AM »
I also have a Galaxy Tab 4 7" and I had no problems whatsoever until I turned on power saving and then I had the same the problems as the Fire HDX. I turned off power saving and it's been fine. Unfortunately, I don't think there's any way to turn the power saving features off on the Fire and the HDX already has issues with the battery running down when its idle.

Offline LauraElizabeth

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2014, 10:00:30 AM »
I called CS about this again today and they are sending a replacement. I am thankful but dreading it as well. We are very restricted on bandwidth here (except between 2am-7am) so a new device or reset to factory seems to take forever to get moved back into.