Free Parenting Tips AppFree Parenting Tips App

Author Topic: 11 Things You Don't Know About Bargain Ebook Buyers (via Bookbub Unbound)  (Read 3776 times)  

• Ontario, Canada
  • I should probably be writing...
    • View Profile
Saw this on Twitter yesterday and figured it might be useful to some folks around here.

BookBub attended BookExpo America last week, joining tens of thousands of authors, publishers, and other industry players at the largest book trade show in the world. While there, we presented exclusive survey data* on bargain ebook buyers, seeking to explain who they are, what they read, and how this translates into value for authors and publishers.

Slideshow link:
http://www.slideshare.net/BookBub/the-bargain-ebook-buyer-35403774

Or

Summary:

The Bargain Ebook Buyer from BookBub

1) They're Power Readers

Almost 60 percent of the bargain ebook readers we surveyed consume at least a book a week, and about 1 in 10 said they read a book or more a day. On the other hand, only 5 percent of the general American public reads a book a week.

2) They Read Everywhere
Virtually all those we surveyed said they read in their down time -- before bed, while traveling, and at home during the day. But perhaps most surprisingly, 45 percent said they read while at work, suggesting that the most voracious readers don't let anything get in the way of their latest book.

3) They Primarily Read On Tablets
While over half the readers we surveyed said they primarily use a Kindle or Nook device, many also read on Apple or Android mobile platforms. And around 60 percent said they prefer tablets -- a number that includes devices like the Kindle Fire and Nook HD.

4) They Don't Just Read Ebooks
While we found that most bargain readers consume fewer print books than they once did, they don't exclusively read ebooks. Over 60 percent of those we surveyed said they also read hardcovers, and almost three quarters said they still read paperbacks.

5) They Are Genre Readers
Most bargain readers said they primarily consume genre fiction. And while their tastes vary across a wide spectrum, the majority indicated that they prefer either mysteries, thrillers, or romance.

6) Their Median Income Is Above Average
The majority of the bargain readers we surveyed earn more than the US median household income of $51,017. Readers in general tend to be more affluent than the average American, and our data suggests that bargain readers are no different in this respect. What sets them apart is the number of books they read -- an expensive habit no matter your income.

7) They Buy Full-Priced Ebooks
While bargain readers are price sensitive, most don't exclusively download discounted books. Over three quarters said they also buy full-price titles, supporting the idea that many of them have disposable income and are willing to spend it on books they love.

8) They Try New Authors
The vast majority of the readers we surveyed said they've discovered a new author through an ebook price promotion. Anecdotally, we've found that BookBub readers use discounts as a discovery tool, trying new authors that they otherwise might not have read.

9) They Read the Books They Download
Bargain readers don't just hoard ebooks and let them lie dormant on their devices. Most of those we surveyed said they read the discounted titles they download, suggesting that not only do they experiment with new authors, but that they value and absorb this content.

10) They Become Loyal Fans
Over 60 percent of the readers we surveyed said they've purchased other books by an author they discovered through an ebook price promotion. So once you hook a reader with a discount, they're often in it for the long haul.

11) They Recommend Books They Like
Almost two thirds of those we surveyed said they've recommended a bargain book to a friend. This suggests that not only do bargain readers become long-term fans of the authors they love, but that they help build even larger audiences by spreading the word to their communities. They're influencers.

*Note: BookBub collected data on thousands of readers across multiple randomized surveys. While the responses come from our own subscribers, we believe that they are representative of the typical bargain ebook reader.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2014, 07:52:38 AM by AdamGeen »

Joliedupre

Thanks for sharing this information!  :)

Offline scolby

• Somerville, MA
    • View Profile
That's really interesting. I wonder if those trends are unique to BookBub readers or if they're indicative of bargain book readers on the whole. I'd like to see more data about that.

Contemporary fantasy, cranked to 11.
Scott Colby

Offline Joe_Nobody

• Texas (east and west)
    • View Profile
    • Joe Nobody Books
Thank you for posting this. I can't say it surprised me in any way, more like it confirmed long-held suspicions.
Bookbub is winning for a reason(s), and their utilization of information like this is no doubt part of that equation.

Offline John Brown

• View Profile
    • johndbrown.com
Thanks!!
John Brown | author website

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
  • Member #1600 since January 15, 2009
    • View Profile
I didn't take part in the Bookbub survey, but for what it is worth, that presentation exactly describes both my husband and me as readers.
A book, I think, is very like a little golden door.
That takes me into places where I've never been before.
It leads me into fairyland or countries strange and far.
And, best of all, the golden door always stands ajar. - Adelaide Love

Online SevenDays

• PNW
  • Imagine something cool and witty here.
    • View Profile
Cool! I find Bookbub's blog (Bookbub Unbound) super-useful. If there's one thing they excel at, it's knowing/understanding their readers.

Alex A. King | Website

Offline deanna c

• Orange County, CA
  • Where's the coffee?
    • View Profile
    • Website
Thank you for sharing! Terrific info...

DeAnna Cameron | Website | Facebook | Twitter

Offline belindaf

• New York
    • View Profile
    • Belinda Frisch, Author
Saw this yesterday on Twitter and figured it might be useful to some folks around here.

Excellent link, thanks!

Belinda Frisch | Twitter | Goodreads

Offline cinisajoy

• Texas
    • View Profile
I didn't participate either but this fits me almost to a T.  Only the income was off.
http://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,216185.msg3013849.html#new

Please help our friend and fellow kboarder Craig Hansen.

Offline Caddy

• Novels For Adults Who Color Outside the Lines
    • View Profile
    • Caddy Rowland: Slice of Life
Thanks for posting this. Very interesting and helpful. I LOVE bookbub.
ALSO WRITING HOT GAY M/M ROMANCE UNDER SIBLEY JACKSON

The Gastien Series: Sometimes the "impossible" is possiblebut the cost can be extremely high. | There Was a House:They better be damn good. There will only be one chance. | The Avengement Series: Karma really can be a b*tchespecially when it scores a willing partner.

Offline C. Gockel

• Chicago, IL
    • View Profile
That's really interesting. I wonder if those trends are unique to BookBub readers or if they're indicative of bargain book readers on the whole. I'd like to see more data about that.

I actually find I have higher sell-thru rates with ENT promos--it's just for an ENT promo I typically only get about 1K downloads of my permafree and with BookBub I get 20K.

I write books about Change, Chaos, and Loki
C. Gockel | facebook | tumblr | website

Offline ricola

• she's singing! love to all!
    • View Profile
Eeek.  Not my readership at all. :(  I hope PNR skews younger/kidsier.

Offline KL_Phelps

• View Profile
quite interesting

Offline Vaalingrade

• View Profile
    • The Descendants
Not all that surprising. People who bother looking on deals for and/or free content are people who have a lot of extra time and are willing to dredge to hidden pearls. When they find those pearls, they are most appreciative and more likely to become a viral type fan purely because they see the value in the truly god stuff.

AKA: Vaalingrade | Twitter: @ParadoxOmni [I mock the mockable]
The Descendants - An Original Bronze Age Superhero Web Serial

Offline Lisa Grace

• Florida, USA
  • Me
    • View Profile
    • Lisa Grace
They described me.
I bring a book with me (or my Kindle) everywhere. On vacations, my fear in the past has been: Did I bring enough books with me? (We tend to go to fairly remote location(s). Now with a Kindle, it's: Did I remember my charger? And will the power be on long enough to keep my Kindle charged? So I still find myself still lugging along several paperback/hardcovers...just in case. I'm glad my NEO runs on batteries. :)

Angel books in movie development
Lisa Grace - Where Good Meets Evil | author website | facebook | twitter | google+ | Youtube

Offline Maria Romana

• NC, USA
  • ...should be working on WIP...
    • View Profile
    • Research Triangle Publications
Just in case anyone missed this point, it's important to keep in mind that this was a survey of BookBub's subscribers, not ebook readers in general. I'm not saying it's not super-valuable information (it is), especially if you read through the whole report, but don't freak out if these stats (older, wealthier, female, etc.) don't match your target demographic. What it really tells you is that if these people are your target demographic, a BookBub ad will really pay off for you, and if not, don't expect as much from it.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2014, 04:46:41 PM by Maria Romana »

Offline ensisk

• U.S.
    • View Profile
Great post, thanks for the info!

E. Nathan Sisk | author website | blog

Offline Gertie Kindle 'a/k/a Margaret Lake'

• Florida
  • Remembering Jeff and Harvey
    • View Profile
Sure, those of us who consume several books a week have to either find bargains/freebies or go bankrupt. Long before ebooks, I haunted library sales, thrift shops, and used book stores.

My buying habits haven't changed, although my reading habits have somewhat changed. I usually had a book going in every room in the house, plus car and work. Now, if I want to read in different rooms, I have to carry my kindle or fire from room to room. My car book is on my phone. All that means is I don't read as many books a week as I used to but I still look for those bargains and freebies. I like to indulge myself once in a while by spending the day in bed and reading one or two books straight through.

Please visit my website to browse my virtual bookshelf.
Margaret Lake | website | twitter | youtube | facebook

Offline VydorScope

• USA
  • "Perseverance over skill, every time"-- V. Trigili
    • View Profile
    • My Novels
It might be Bookbub subscriber focused, but it matches what I would expect if it was industry wide.
Vincent 
"INDESCRIBABLY ALLURING" -- S.M. Reine
My Author Website | Pinterest | Facebook | Twitter | My Deviant Art Gallery

Offline cinisajoy

• Texas
    • View Profile
Bookbub is for bargain hunters so yes that survey is probably fairly accurate for all bargain book hunters. 
At least 4 readers have chimed in that it fits even though we were not in the survey.
http://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,216185.msg3013849.html#new

Please help our friend and fellow kboarder Craig Hansen.

Online Bob Stewart

• View Profile
    • Street Car Mysteries

I think the one area where legacy publishers still have an impregnable advantage is with general, or literary, fiction. Launching as an independent  writer outside of a genre would be pretty difficult as things stand. Imagine an unknown Kurt Vonnegut doing a freebie promo on BookBub of one of his quirky novels. He'd be eviscerated in the reviews....

Online Betsy the Quilter

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
  • Administrator
  • Alexandria, VA
  • Love all, moderate all, to quote my friend Harvey
    • View Profile
    • Betsy True Designs
I'd say that the description in the OP reflects what I've seen among KBoards members over the last five and a half years.

Betsy
Goodreads Goal -- 75 books

Joined 10/27/2008  | Miss you, Harvey, Jeff & Dona!
Harvey Chute (1962-2015), KB Founder

Proud Owner: Oasis/Voyage/Touch/Basic/K1/Fire HDX
Betsy True Designs Facebook | My Store

Offline WasAnn

• I is me.
    • View Profile
This just reaffirms my belief that even with the increases in pricing, BB is always worth it.  :D

Offline abishop

• Ottawa
    • View Profile

I think the one area where legacy publishers still have an impregnable advantage is with general, or literary, fiction. Launching as an independent  writer outside of a genre would be pretty difficult as things stand. Imagine an unknown Kurt Vonnegut doing a freebie promo on BookBub of one of his quirky novels. He'd be eviscerated in the reviews....

I hope you're wrong, because launching as a self-published general/literary fiction writer what I'm planning to do soon, so wish me luck!  [Relatedly, Vonnegut is one of my favourite authors and a big inspiration for me as a writer.]

Adam Bishop | Web | Twitter