Author Topic: Advice/Help  (Read 824 times)  

Offline Suzsmarmie

• View Profile
Advice/Help
« on: June 09, 2014, 09:26:04 AM »
Just looking for some thoughts on my KF 8.9HD. The battery monitor in the top corner says it is plugged in and charging, but when I click on the battery app itself, I have to wiggle the cord before the app says "charging". I'm using Battery HD Pro. The question is could it be the charging cord as opposed to the port where the cord is plugged in. I've had both the Kindle and the cord since March of 2013...right; just out of warranty for the Fire. I have the Amazon power fast charger.  Has anyone experienced this and if so, did replacing the cord work? It's not a huge deal, but it's really really annoying when I have the darned thing plugged in to charge and it's lying to me...lol..

Thanks all!

Online Betsy the Quilter

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
  • Administrator
  • Alexandria, VA
  • Love all, moderate all, to quote my friend Harvey
    • View Profile
    • Betsy True Designs
Re: Advice/Help
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2014, 01:27:06 PM »
Just looking for some thoughts on my KF 8.9HD. The battery monitor in the top corner says it is plugged in and charging, but when I click on the battery app itself, I have to wiggle the cord before the app says "charging". I'm using Battery HD Pro. The question is could it be the charging cord as opposed to the port where the cord is plugged in. I've had both the Kindle and the cord since March of 2013...right; just out of warranty for the Fire. I have the Amazon power fast charger.  Has anyone experienced this and if so, did replacing the cord work? It's not a huge deal, but it's really really annoying when I have the darned thing plugged in to charge and it's lying to me...lol..

Thanks all!

I would certainly try another cord, as all cord plugs are not identical and you may find one that fits more tightly.  That being said, I don't think the basic problem is the cords but the Kindles.  I had similar problems with charging both my HD7 and HD8.9; the HDX 7 and 8.9 are greatly improved--I have no issues charging them--and am using many of the same cords I used with the HDs.

Betsy
Goodreads Goal -- 75 books

Joined 10/27/2008  | Miss you, Harvey, Jeff & Dona!
Harvey Chute (1962-2015), KB Founder

Proud Owner: Oasis/Voyage/Touch/Basic/K1/Fire HDX
Betsy True Designs Facebook | My Store

Offline cinisajoy

• Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2014, 04:32:02 PM »
When I got my Fire the cord was broke.  Amazon gave me credit to buy a new cord.  Note I bought the fire second hand but it had never been used.
http://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,216185.msg3013849.html#new

Please help our friend and fellow kboarder Craig Hansen.

Offline maryjf45

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2014, 02:43:32 PM »
The cords seem to go before the devices. I have three cords that sometimes don't work well, two of which were cellphone chargers. I think they get broken inside and work depending on which way the wire is bent.

Offline Suzsmarmie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2014, 02:56:52 PM »
I think it may be the cord; I did use my charger from my first Kindle Fire (not the hd), and it worked better; it just wasn't as fast, since it isn't the "power" charger. I just can't seem to bring myself to spend the money for a new HDX 8.9; darn, that seems like a lot, especially when my current 8.9 is just 14 months old; yeah, just 2 months out of warranty. That's why I was hoping it was the cord and not the port. Cord I can fix; port, not so much...lol.  To most people, it would probably be a minor annoyance; things like that make me nuts trying to figure out what's wrong. As always, I appreciate you all taking time to give me your best guesses.

Thanks!!!

Offline cinisajoy

• Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2014, 03:21:23 PM »
I think it may be the cord; I did use my charger from my first Kindle Fire (not the hd), and it worked better; it just wasn't as fast, since it isn't the "power" charger. I just can't seem to bring myself to spend the money for a new HDX 8.9; darn, that seems like a lot, especially when my current 8.9 is just 14 months old; yeah, just 2 months out of warranty. That's why I was hoping it was the cord and not the port. Cord I can fix; port, not so much...lol.  To most people, it would probably be a minor annoyance; things like that make me nuts trying to figure out what's wrong. As always, I appreciate you all taking time to give me your best guesses.

Thanks!!!
Call Amazon customer service.   They may send you a new cord.
http://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,216185.msg3013849.html#new

Please help our friend and fellow kboarder Craig Hansen.

Offline Suzsmarmie

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2014, 07:40:22 PM »
I might just do that. I don't want to take advantage, but I did call them about the charging problem back in December. When I called them, they said they would make a note in my account that I had called before the warranty ran out. How much difference that would make, I don't know.

Offline HappyGuy

• Central FL
  • With God, nothing is enough for anything.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2014, 05:44:21 AM »
You might want to try installing a different battery app just to see if maybe the app is bad. Try several different cords also.
"From the lips of infants and children you have ordained praise..." Psalms 8:2

Member 342

Offline Seamonkey

• Fountain Valley, CA
    • View Profile
    • TV Clubhouse
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2014, 10:34:42 AM »
It would make me nuts, too.  Since they made a note, I'd suggest calling them.  Good luck!

(Make your own reading bar)

SeaSnork on Words with Friends