NetGalley

Author Topic: Why I had to delete my book from Google Play Books  (Read 13796 times)  

Offline Jim Johnson

• Alexandria, VA
  • Storyteller and Cat Minion
    • View Profile
    • Ineti Press
Re: Why I had to delete my book from Google Play Books
« Reply #100 on: June 11, 2014, 11:45:27 AM »
I'm grateful for this thread. I'll be starting publishing this summer and now I know to stay the heck away from GP.

Offline Lady Vine

• Eye right books. Eye like two reed. Bye my books.
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: June 11, 2014, 12:39:13 PM »
I'm grateful for this thread. I'll be starting publishing this summer and now I know to stay the heck away from GP.

And this right here is why this is a bad idea. Sure, for some authors Google brings in more money than Amazon, but for the majority, this isn't worthwhile. Google's market share is simply too small to pull this off. All they'll end up doing is losing publishers, and their catalogue will forever remain small. Indies barely give them a second thought as it is.

I'm selling multiple books a day on Google, so I'm excited for their growth. But the minute they start costing me money, I'm outta there. I'm willing to bet this will be the response of the vast majority of indies.

Offline AriadneW

• Auckland, New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: June 11, 2014, 02:00:38 PM »
I am in the process of removing my best selling book from there this morning after reading all these comments. I love the idea of Google Play/Books, and I'm happy to leave up the books that don't sell a huge amount because if they were dropped in price, I don't think it would make that much difference. I was prepared for discounting, but not the risk of it being set to free.

Ariadne Wayne | Blog | Facebook | Twitter

Offline AriadneW

• Auckland, New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: June 11, 2014, 02:04:07 PM »
The last time I read the Amazon TOS, I believe that in the part about price matching it was stated Amazon would match the competitor's price if the competitor price was set for more than a certain number of days. For example, if GP puts the price on your book to $0 for, say, only three days, it is unlikely that Amazon will match the $0 price. But if it went on for more than a week, then it would be price matched.

Amazon price match really quickly. I took part in a promotion on iBooks that required me to drop the price to 99c and even though it was a great opportunity, I hesitated knowing that Amazon would follow suit. I set the price the night before the promotion on iBooks as agreed thinking I'd sort out the rest the next day, and Amazon had already matched it the following morning. They move really fast when they want to. ;)

Ariadne Wayne | Blog | Facebook | Twitter

Offline WDR

• Massachusetts
  • To boldly split infinitives
    • View Profile
    • Official Website of William D. Richards
« Reply #104 on: June 11, 2014, 04:48:59 PM »
Amazon price match really quickly. I took part in a promotion on iBooks that required me to drop the price to 99c and even though it was a great opportunity, I hesitated knowing that Amazon would follow suit. I set the price the night before the promotion on iBooks as agreed thinking I'd sort out the rest the next day, and Amazon had already matched it the following morning. They move really fast when they want to. ;)

Yes, the key being the promotion was on the iBookstore. Apple and Amazon watch each other very closely.
Aggadeh Chronicles Book 3: Oracle: 11%
William D. Richards | Official Website | A Writer's Chronicles | Patreon

Offline alawston

• London
  • London-based writer and actor
    • View Profile
    • Andrew K Lawston's intermittent blogular adventures
« Reply #105 on: June 12, 2014, 08:12:55 AM »
Yes, the key being the promotion was on the iBookstore. Apple and Amazon watch each other very closely.

Yes, Amazon took months to spot that my 0.77 short story collection was priced at 0.65 on Kobo. The instant I experimented with the price on iBooks, though...

Broadly comic writer working across as many genres as he can. Acting done.
Andrew Lawston | Facebook | Twitter

drno

« Reply #106 on: June 12, 2014, 02:45:55 PM »
Unbeknownst to me, of course, I discovered this morning that Google had listed my best earning historical romance for FREE. Yes free. They were paying me based on my list price of $5.18 but they have it free. Obviously, to me this wasn't about the money I was earning from those free sales but the ramifications this might have, especially if Amazon got ahold of that price.

I promptly took it down from Google. Yes, maybe I would have left it up if Amazon would also pay me for FREE copies based on the price I listed with them but that's not the case.

Why didn't you unpublish from Amazon and use every promo site to target readers to the Free Google listing. You could've made a mint. Maybe??

Offline FictionalWriter

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: June 13, 2014, 07:58:34 AM »
Why didn't you unpublish from Amazon and use every promo site to target readers to the Free Google listing. You could've made a mint. Maybe??

And have to start over with my book on Amazon when it's all said and done? Not worth it in the long run. Plus the readers I wouldn't have targeted would have been p*ssed as they paid $4.99 or $3.99 for it.

Offline Mark E. Cooper

• Essex, England
    • View Profile
    • Impulse Books UK
« Reply #108 on: June 14, 2014, 12:29:15 AM »
If you don't want Amazon to price match a GP price promo, I think the title you use might be one fix. I heard this on SPP yesterday.

My book: the 123 series #1

on  GP might be:

My Book: 123 Chronicles book 1

I haven't had a problem using GP with 25% added for discounts, but my book 1s are free already so that might account for it. I DO watch my sales pages, but I always do anyway in case there are problems. It's part of my daily ritual to check all is well each morning. Anyway, it worked for Johnney B Truant and SPP.

Offline rwillmer

• View Profile
« Reply #109 on: June 16, 2014, 06:45:43 AM »
Interesting. I check Luzme against actual prices regularly (admittedly not every day, I'd have no time to write if I did that!), and it's always been spot on. The alerts work great too. I wonder why it's flaky for some.

It includes all the platforms in your signature (apart from Smashwords own store, which doesn't discount anyway), and Google Play as well. It also checks stores on a per-country basis.

If any of the kboard folk see any problems with prices on Luzme, it would be great if you would let me know so I can check out what's wrong. I can't fix problems I don't know about!

Thanks!

Offline Authorius

• View Profile
« Reply #110 on: June 16, 2014, 12:11:33 PM »
I'm too tired to read this whole thread, but I'm just gonna jump in here to say that I've heard of people over-pricing their books at Google play to counteract any price cuts they give...this always made me nervous, so I have never given in to the temptation to publish there.  Now I am SO glad! 

I've heard about how much people make at Google...there's no way in freaking hell I would ever risk my Amazon income for peanuts at Google.  who cares if they pay you full royalty on a book they give away, if it destroys your income at THE major retailer?  Sorry Google, you're not Amazon.  And if you keep messing with your authors, you never will be.  I've held back, waiting, to see if Google policies will improve.  Obviously, they won't.  This is exactly what I feared could happen, and because of it, I will never publish at Google. 

Thank you for sharing, OP. 

Offline Quiss

• Canada
  • spits infinitives
    • View Profile
    • Chris Reher Author page
« Reply #111 on: June 16, 2014, 01:48:10 PM »
If any of the kboard folk see any problems with prices on Luzme, it would be great if you would let me know so I can check out what's wrong. I can't fix problems I don't know about!

Thanks!

I just did a search for my name.
The Catalyst shows the $3.99 at iTunes Canada, but it's available at Amazon.CA and Kobo for $3.95
When I click on Sky Hunter, I get the cover for Flight to Exile and links for both books.
Although Delphi Promised and Rebel Alliances are listed as my books, the actual results page only shows the number of pages for the book. No cover, no prices.
Quantum Tangle doesn't show up at all
Why are the cover images so blurry?

Well, you asked :)
        NEW:

author website | facebook

Offline Lisa Grace

• Florida, USA
  • Me
    • View Profile
    • Lisa Grace
« Reply #112 on: June 16, 2014, 01:53:55 PM »
Here is the thing. Amazon is more like a flea market than a retailer for most self publishers.

No I have not lost my mind.
You are a vendor.   You are using Amazon to sell your product.  Here is where the flea market comes in.
At a flea market, you pay a set price for your space.  At Amazon, you pay a percentage of what you sell.  Either way, you pay for your space.  Now to continue.  Flea Market is the draw not Fred's stuff.  Amazon is the draw not Craig's burn dinner books. 
People go to flea markets/Amazon to look for stuff.  If they find and like your stuff great.
Flea markets have contracts as does Amazon.
Would you sell as much from your front porch or your own website?
And remember y'all signed the contracts.

I've called Amazon a virtual flea market in many posts in the past, so I agree 100% with your assessment.

Angel books in movie development
Lisa Grace - Where Good Meets Evil | author website | facebook | twitter | google+ | Youtube

Okey Dokey

« Reply #113 on: June 16, 2014, 02:02:04 PM »
Contracts with the Amazon flea market?
I don't think so.

Offline Jan Strnad

• Los Angeles CA USA
  • Under the Endeavor
    • View Profile
    • OneLastTime.org
« Reply #114 on: June 24, 2014, 05:24:26 PM »
Re: de-listing at Amazon to take advantage of a free-on-Google deal:

You really think it's be worth it to lose your rankings on Amazon?

Once you drop below a certain point (like, off the top 100) ranking doesn't seem to make much difference as far as I can tell. People won't page through a lot of screens to find a book, so I'm not sure what difference your rank makes if you're on page 40 or page 90 or page 206.

If anyone has insights into the importance of rank, I'd love to hear them!

Providing strange stories to discerning readers since 1972
Jan Strnad | Facebook | Author Page | Website

Offline Cherise

• Spokane, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: June 24, 2014, 08:31:41 PM »

If I'm understanding you correctly, you're saying that Google is purposefully discounting books in order to trigger Amazon price-matching, in order to cause authors to remove their books from Google Play, in order to demonstrate that Amazon's practices are damaging Google financially.

I'm not sure that they are that Machiavellian. If so, what they are doing is unconscionable, devastating the incomes of self-publishers to advance their own corporate agenda.

I'm hoping that they simply haven't thought things through, that they're looking at their own store and thinking, "We're taking care of authors by paying them their full royalty even when we give their books away," and not considering the ultimate impact.

When I first got here to KBoards in spring of 2012, no one sold on Google Play because of this practice.

TK's recent Google Play thread brought us all back to Google Play. This thread is likely to scare us all off again.

This is not new behavior, on Google's part.

Offline Cherise

• Spokane, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: June 24, 2014, 08:37:16 PM »
I suggest that you re-read your KDP contract, you signed up to never having a book on another retailer that is lower than Amazon (in the EU this is illegal).

Every. Vendor's. TOS. Says. This.

Not. Just. KDP.

Offline SB James

• View Profile
    • SB James Doing the Write Thing
« Reply #117 on: June 24, 2014, 08:50:09 PM »

Every. Vendor's. TOS. Says. This.

Not. Just. KDP.
Quite true. I just saw this on Nook's TOS also.

Author and Artist
SB James | WordPress | Twitter | Facebook | Goodreads | Pinterest | Google+ | Website

Online Jill James

• Biggest Little City in the World
    • View Profile
    • Jill James, romance writer
« Reply #118 on: June 25, 2014, 10:32:00 AM »
But if Google Play discounts, I didn't have the price lower. Actually, I have it higher on GP than anywhere else.
Ghostly Deceptions: 8%

Ghostly Perceptions: 1%
A Little Sweet. A Little Sexy. A Lot Happily-Ever-After.
Jill James | blog | website | Facebook | Twitter | newsletter

Offline rwillmer

• View Profile
« Reply #119 on: June 25, 2014, 11:50:18 AM »
I just did a search for my name.
The Catalyst shows the $3.99 at iTunes Canada, but it's available at Amazon.CA and Kobo for $3.95
When I click on Sky Hunter, I get the cover for Flight to Exile and links for both books.
Although Delphi Promised and Rebel Alliances are listed as my books, the actual results page only shows the number of pages for the book. No cover, no prices.
Quantum Tangle doesn't show up at all
Why are the cover images so blurry?

Well, you asked :)

Thanks for the reply!

Right, I've fixed the incorrect connection of Sky Hunter/Flight to Exile.

Regarding the missing prices and books, I suspect you needed to wait for the dynamic checks to complete. When you search for a book which I don't know about yet, lots of active searches get kicked off to try to find it, but that takes time to complete.

I'm seeing lots of prices in Canada for your books. Does that look better for you?

The frequency of the price checking for a particular book depends on what people are searching for; much though I'd like to, I can't check every book of the 1.5 million in my database every day in every country. So it's weighted by various factors: the paying customers come first (of course!), then the active readers, then everyone else.

The book covers come from the book stores; if you could point me at an example, I can check to see whether I'm picking up an image that's  too small.

all the best
Rachel

P.S. You might like to know that at least one Luzme user has some of your books on their watchlist...

Offline Briteka

• View Profile
« Reply #120 on: June 25, 2014, 12:51:22 PM »
Agreed. Seems a bit heavy handed. Surely they're aware of Amazon's policy regarding price and their market share.
Do they really think Amazon authors would go along with this?

I probably would go along with this.

It's a bad policy, and I haven't gotten to the end of this thread yet, nor have I heard of this happening before, but if Play were to do this to a select few of my books, I'd probably be happy with it.

1.) I know how well free books sell on Play. I have a lot of Permafrees up to compare with paid sales. The increase in sales on Play would probably overcome any lost sales on Amazon.

2.) I probably wouldn't mind having some more free books charting on Amazon.

But I'm obviously not everyone, and for people that have just a couple books out, this could be a killer. Still, at least ONE person would probably go along with this. :P

Offline trp

• View Profile
« Reply #121 on: June 21, 2015, 10:03:46 AM »
Just wanted to check and see if this was still going on. Apologies if this is addressed in another thread.