Author Topic: Bookmarq.net Promotional Thread (MERGED)  (Read 17729 times)  

Offline MyraScott

• South Carolina
  • Ideas are worth nothing until implemented
    • View Profile
A simple works-every-time formula to help writers and publishers sell more books

1. Write a friggin' awesome book that people can't put down until they are finished and can't stop talking about to all their friends and love so much that they write fanfiction to fill the empty hole in their lives until the next book comes out.

2. Tell the world about it.

3. Profit.

Works every time.  Implementation may be a little tricky, but if you get it right, it is foolproof.

I have nothing to sell you.  I share this magical formula out of the goodness of my heart.  Go forth and prosper.

Offline books_mb

• Germany
    • View Profile
A simple works-every-time formula to help writers and publishers sell more books

1. Write a friggin' awesome book that people can't put down until they are finished and can't stop talking about to all their friends and love so much that they write fanfiction to fill the empty hole in their lives until the next book comes out.

2. Tell the world about it.

3. Profit.

Works every time.  Implementation may be a little tricky, but if you get it right, it is foolproof.

I can top that:

Step 1. Collect words
Step 2. ?
Step 3. PROFIT

You're welcome!

Online Monique

• California
    • View Profile
    • Written by Monique
Following this link, I read the thread from July. I even read the signature for the OP, PaigeDoyle, as I was trucking through all the posts. It included a detailed little bio about his marketing experience.

I came back to this thread and read the signature for the OP, Conrad.Murray. It includes a detailed little bio about his marketing experience. A really familiar bio...

I went back to the PaigeDoyle thread, but at some point while I was reading, it was changed. Shame.

Either way, Mr. Conrad: Are you also Mr. Doyle?

Now don't get me wrong, many of us don't use our real names on the forums, or as authors, or on the internet in general. Nothing inherently wrong with that. And also nothing particularly wrong with getting a bad start and starting over with a new account.

However, due to nature of your selling services here and the requirement of trust and honesty involved, I think it would be best to cleanly admit the nature of this new account. In the spirit of honestly and open communication.

M.W

Paige Doyle's existence is suspect. His Paige Doyle Associates does not exist as far as the internet is concerned.

Whether they are the same person or not, this entire thing is highly suspect.

Monique Martin | author website | facebook | twitter

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Let's go NATS
    • View Profile
thread locked while moderators discuss . . . .

EDIT by Betsy :):  We're still in discussions but are merging Bookmarq.net threads as author service providers may have only one thread.

After threads are merged, we will be reviewing the thread to see if it can be reopened after some pruning.  Thanks for understanding

« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 07:49:36 AM by Betsy the Quilter »

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)
S7Edge (KApp for Android)
Galaxy (KApp for Android)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR

Offline dgaughran

• Dublin
  • Let's Get Digital
    • View Profile
    • David Gaughran
Bookmarq.net
« Reply #79 on: August 07, 2014, 01:15:05 AM »
Okay, here's what concerns me.

1. The attitude of your "employee" in the other thread when touting for business.

2. Claims on your site which can't be backed up, e.g. the books you have written on marketing (there's nothing under your name I can find on Amazon) or the claims to be "an industry leading figure in book marketing" when you appear to have no professional experience in book marketing - http://linkd.in/1ot0OWx

3. You also talk about "publisher and author clients." Who are they? Most sites would be trumpeting their clients, but I can't see mention on yours.

4. You provide a range of services on your site, with no prices at all. This is a major red flag.

5. I'm not sure if Paige Doyle is a real person. The bio link on your site leads to a broken page: http://bookmarq.net/author/newpaige/ The only real reference on the internet to a "Paige Doyle" that works at Bookmarq is a LinkedIn page which says Paige Doyle works at Paige Doyle Associates. This company doesn't seem to exist. Another red flag.

6. "Paige Doyle" has one person in his Google+ circles. That person is Conrad Murray.

7. You are selling reviews with apparently no care for the ethical side of this.

8. For a "marketing expert" the Bookmarq site is pretty shoddy. Broken links abound, and the Alexa score is terrible. There is also zero engagement anywhere. No comments on the posts. A grand total of ONE Facebook Like, SIXTEEN Twitter followers, and no engagement whatsoever on either platform.

9. I can find no reference to a forthcoming book from Knopf by Conrad Murray.

Is that enough? Do I have to keep going?

Betsy: if we can't protect the members here from shady operators, what's the point?

Post moved from metadata thread by Conrad to the services thread by Conrad for bookmarq.net, which was merged with another thread for bookmarq.net. --Betsy
« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 04:09:36 PM by Betsy the Quilter »

David Gaughran | mailing list | blog | website | facebook | twitter
LET'S GET DIGITAL 2 Free for purchasers of the 1st edition! Instructions here

Offline Betsy the Quilter

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
  • Administrator
  • Alexandria, VA
  • Love all, moderate all, to quote my friend Harvey
    • View Profile
    • Betsy True Designs
Betsy: if we can't protect the members here from shady operators, what's the point?

David,

I have no problems with asking tough questions about a business--and there are two (soon to be one, I think) business threads for bookmarque.net.  Questions in those threads about the business would be appropriate.  These questions would probably do more good if asked in that thread where credentials were provided. Edited to add:  That way members could see the original statements by the business.

This was originally in a thread about metadata...surely that is a legitimate discussion here on KBoards?  If you don't think the information provided about metadata has value--by all means poke holes in it.  That's a fair discussion no matter who starts the thread.

Finally, again, if you have questions about whether a member has multiple accounts, you protect the forum by asking the admin team to look into it.  We have our ways.  I do wonder, though, if you think two members are the same person, AND you think that person is shady, do you expect confronting them in a thread is going to make them do a facepalm and confess?  That's not been my experience.

Thanks,

Betsy
KB Mod

Edited to reflect post move from the metadata thread to this one. --Betsy
« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 04:08:16 PM by Betsy the Quilter »
Goodreads Goal -- 75 books

Joined 10/27/2008  | Miss you, Harvey, Jeff & Dona!
Harvey Chute (1962-2015), KB Founder

Proud Owner: Oasis/Voyage/Touch/Basic/K1/Fire HDX
Betsy True Designs Facebook | My Store

Offline Conrad.Murray

• London
  • Editing, production and marketing agency leader
    • View Profile
    • bookmarq.net
Bookmarq.net
« Reply #81 on: August 07, 2014, 05:41:08 AM »
Okay, here's what concerns me.

1. The attitude of your "employee" in the other thread when touting for business.

2. Claims on your site which can't be backed up, e.g. the books you have written on marketing (there's nothing under your name I can find on Amazon) or the claims to be "an industry leading figure in book marketing" when you appear to have no professional experience in book marketing - http://linkd.in/1ot0OWx

3. You also talk about "publisher and author clients." Who are they? Most sites would be trumpeting their clients, but I can't see mention on yours.

4. You provide a range of services on your site, with no prices at all. This is a major red flag.

5. I'm not sure if Paige Doyle is a real person. The bio link on your site leads to a broken page: http://bookmarq.net/author/newpaige/ The only real reference on the internet to a "Paige Doyle" that works at Bookmarq is a LinkedIn page which says Paige Doyle works at Paige Doyle Associates. This company doesn't seem to exist. Another red flag.

6. "Paige Doyle" has one person in his Google+ circles. That person is Conrad Murray.

7. You are selling reviews with apparently no care for the ethical side of this.

8. For a "marketing expert" the Bookmarq site is pretty shoddy. Broken links abound, and the Alexa score is terrible. There is also zero engagement anywhere. No comments on the posts. A grand total of ONE Facebook Like, SIXTEEN Twitter followers, and no engagement whatsoever on either platform.

Is that enough? Do I have to keep going?

Hi David.

Your Questions, My Answers. I hope this deals with this once-and-for-all

1. Q: The attitude of your "employee" in the other thread when touting for business.

A: Paige put up an article which is actually a promo for a decent author marketing package which costs $70 a year. You list your books on the "reviews exchange" and you will likely get three independent reviews. We then push them on. Typically they generate a minimum of 100-200 booksales but if thought goes into the promotion it can be many times more. The sale is transactional so if you don't sell you don't pay.

Like all our packages it was fully priced and you were told what you would get, but because it was a marketing package a number of people on this forum jumped in and called him every name of a dog. There was even a threat of an online lynching - all of which were later removed. There are elements on KBoards - particularly in Writer's Cafe - which post frequently and scare others away. There are a lot of other people who don't post at all, hundreds who read posts and want to know stuff. Following my post yesterday I have had numerous on-topic questions, around 50 - none of which were posted to the boards. That suggests to me that there is an underlying culture of fear which even Betsy and her team cannot defray.

2. Q: 2. Claims on your site which can't be backed up, e.g. the books you have written on marketing (there's nothing under your name I can find on Amazon) or the claims to be "an industry leading figure in book marketing" when you appear to have no professional experience in book marketing - http://linkd.in/1ot0OWx
A I don't currently publish marketing books on Amazon. I see that your "Let's get Digital" sells at $5.03. The Cygnus books were subscription only and are the standard works for data product marketing. They initial in-depth reports sell at $2499 with seminars and briefings and the cut-down reports were (and are) sold at $999 off the shelf and and $799 to existing subscribers mostly to commercial clients. They go mostly to corporates who sell digital products (including books) online. My main clients for them in digital sales are corporates involved in gambling, gaming, the music business and photographic rights and illustration. I do three presentations a month on average to digital clients. I am a paid consultant to five British publishers, one American network publisher and one Australian publisher. Who they are or what I do with them has nothing to do with you.

See above. I don't need to trumpet my clients. Bookmarq.net is primarily about promoting authors - either unpublished, previously published or self-published. That is a different business to my consultancy for traditional publishers and authors.

That claim is absolute rubbish and easily knocked over with links to the pages.

We price everything and the entire business is based on fixed-fee or a transactional reward based on what you sell.

Here is the list of services we provide all detailed on the site:

Wordpress Hosting: See: http://bookmarq.net/wordpress-hosting/
Full design package: Package price: $399 plus $15/month hosting and support charges.
Assisted build and training: Package price: $199 plus $15/month hosting and support charges.
DIY: 14 day free trial. Package price: Free with $15/month hosting and support charges.

Managed Book Marketing See: http://bookmarq.net/marketing-services/
It starts at $70 for a year with all additional payments only based on sales results.

Editing Services See: http://bookmarq.net/self-publishing/editing-services/
from $0.035 per word to $0.08 per word.

We also provide the cost of each individual edit on the page line-by-line

Cover Design: See: http://bookmarq.net/self-publishing/professional-cover-design/
We don't price up because it depends on the job. Neither will your sister - who knows far more about this business than you do - neither will anyone else.

Finding a Publisher: See http://bookmarq.net/traditional-authors/
We charge $175 to review a 10,000 word sample.
We charge $199 to prepare and submit a professional presentation for to up to 10 agents in New York or London.

All our courses and training are priced. So why do you say we don't?

Paige doesn't do social media. Most people don't.

See above. It's highly likely I told Paige and others they should do Google+ to increase their visibility. It is also entirely likely they told me to feck-off.

Loads of people provide review services, Kirkus, Foreword and the more dodgily named Kindle Book Reviews. We now have 140+ book reviewers each of which were had selected and provide wonderfully independent reviews.

The way our review service works is the author pays $70 for unlimited access to post their books to the reviews exchange and the marketing package that accompanies it. So any of those 140 can pick a title and review it. Books normally get three to five reviews which are shared under Creative Commons so they can be used elsewhere. The marketing package means they then commit to pay us a proportion of the sales we can be shown to make for them, In a recent cross-publisher promotion we did we got in excess of 2m eyeballs and have currently sold 40,000+ books.

We lifted bookmarq.net out of Loyalty Technology BV and Bookmarq is a relatively new creation but which uses entirely the same packages as we used before.

I actually think the appearance is quite stylish.

We don't normally get comments on the posts because our posts are put out for comment first on other sites such as this one where they get massive engagement. I am sure that will build up over time.

A
You won't. Have you never heard of pen-names?

Have you anything else useful to ask or say??
« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 06:18:28 AM by Ann in Arlington »
Conrad Murray is a pre-eminent book marketer working for authors and publishers in the UK and the USA. He manages the editing, production and book marketing house, bookmarq.net. He is one of Europe's leading data marketers with a history of producing creative online sales promotions in extremely competitive consumer markets, notably music, law and the gaming industry. Conrad has written two books on marketing for Cygnus and his first novel (for Alfred A. Knopf) will be published in 2015.
Publisher of editing, production and book marketing site bookmarq.net
Conrad Murray | bookmarq.net

Offline BatCauldron

• Chap. Writer. Loud. Nostalgic. Ranty.
    • View Profile
Re: Bookmarq.net
« Reply #82 on: August 07, 2014, 06:07:44 AM »

Loads of people provide review services, Kirkus, Foreword and the more dodgily named Kindle Book Reviews. We now have 140+ book reviewers each of which were had selected and provide wonderfully independent reviews.

The way our review service works is the author pays $70 for unlimited access to post their books to the reviews exchange and the marketing package that accompanies it. So any of those 140 can pick a title and review it. Books normally get three to five reviews which are shared under Creative Commons so they can be used elsewhere. The marketing package means they then commit to pay us a proportion of the sales we can be shown to make for them, In a recent cross-publisher promotion we did we got in excess of 2m eyeballs and have currently sold 40,000+ books.

I just want to make sure I understand this correctly.

1. The author pays $70 to submit their book for reviews. They typically get 3-5 reviews. So in essence, the author pays $70 for 3-5 reviews?
2. You then take a percentage of any sales that you can show have resulted from those reviews?

Is that right?

Offline Conrad.Murray

• London
    • View Profile
    • bookmarq.net
« Reply #83 on: August 07, 2014, 06:31:20 AM »
Hi Bat Cauldron

Not quite. The reviews exchange is a package which enables you to submit a book for review like Net Galley.

That goes out to 142 reviewers currently. These are people we provide with their own blog free of charge. Typically 3-5, sometimes more, will decide to review. Nobody gets paid to review a book and they are all independent.

The reviews are owned by the reviewer but are licensed under Creative Commons. You can decide which reviews you want to use or include.

Reviews become part of the author promotion package which starts at $70. It is transactional so all fees are based on a commission of what you actually sell.

If you need to know more send me an email to conrad.murray@bookmarq.net
Conrad Murray is a pre-eminent book marketer working for authors and publishers in the UK and the USA. He manages the editing, production and book marketing house, bookmarq.net. He is one of Europe's leading data marketers with a history of producing creative online sales promotions in extremely competitive consumer markets, notably music, law and the gaming industry. Conrad has written two books on marketing for Cygnus and his first novel (for Alfred A. Knopf) will be published in 2015.

Offline BatCauldron

• Chap. Writer. Loud. Nostalgic. Ranty.
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 07, 2014, 06:36:07 AM »
Hi.

Thanks for clearing that up. One more question (in four movements) - how do you establish what sales have come about as a result of the reviews? Do you take a commission based on all sales? If so, for how long? The life of the book?

It's probably better to ask and answer any questions here to prevent any repetition from other KB members -- using up your time -- and to make sure everyone has visibility.

Thanks again for the response.

Offline Conrad.Murray

• London
    • View Profile
    • bookmarq.net
« Reply #85 on: August 07, 2014, 06:51:22 AM »
No problem.

It's not a review package. It's a marketing package.

A $70 submission gets you on the exchange. They may or may not review and you may or may not choose to use those reviews.

Reviews are provided under Creative Commons. What you use is up to you.

In respect of marketing we provide a page which confirms each sale we have delivered after it has occurred and trace these back to the original campaign so you only pay for what we sell. If you want how this works in detail I am happy to provide,

Offline Amber Rose

• View Profile
    • BookSignals
« Reply #86 on: August 07, 2014, 07:05:27 AM »
To me this seems to be a case of thou-protesting-too-much.

I have no idea whether Bookmarq.net is a legitimate and ethical service, but I do think that if I was running a business like that, then I would go out of my way to market my own books through the channels that I am promising to market other people's books. So I would sell on Amazon, and show how brilliant I am at doing that. I would have a huge Twitter following, a successful FB page, tons of reviews and testimonials that can be verified etc.

The beauty of online marketing/selling is that it can be quite transparent. For example, a lot of ppl on KBoards know that BKnights is - for the most part- a very good way of promoting books. It works so well, that people cannot shut up about it. For the time it does not work, there are no excuses made, and authors just accept what is.

So maybe all you need is some legitimate clients to sing your praises here, and then we can all analyse those authors genres, rankings, trends, etc and draw our own conclusions.

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
  • Administrator
  • Alexandria, VA
    • View Profile
    • Betsy True Designs
« Reply #87 on: August 07, 2014, 07:30:41 AM »
Conrad,

we don't allow starting a new topic to continue a conversation in a locked topic--there's not much point to us locking a topic if we allow that.  We are in discussions about the now several bookmarque.net threads and your metadata thread on how best to proceed from here. 

EDIT:  Several threads have been merged while discussions continue.  Some posts will be pruned.

You're welcome to PM me if you have additional questions.

Betsy
KB Moderator
« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 08:10:07 AM by Betsy the Quilter »

• Administrator
  • Alexandria, VA
    • View Profile
    • Betsy True Designs
Re: Bookmarq.net Promotional Thread (MERGED)
« Reply #88 on: August 07, 2014, 09:34:39 AM »
Conrad and Paige and other bookmarq.net staff--

You're welcome to promote your business and website here in the Writers' Cafe, but we ask that the same basic rules be followed as we have for authors in the Book Bazaar:  you may have one thread about your service and must post to it rather than start a new thread each time.  New threads about the service wil be removed.  Please bookmark this thread so that you can find it again to post to.  And, you may not make back-to-back posts to the thread within seven days.  All bookmarq.net staff will be considered one person for posting purposes--if any of you posts, all of you must wait seven days to post unless a non-bookmarq.net associate posts in the interim.  If someone responds (such as this post), you may reply but otherwise must wait seven days, thanks!

We anticipate unlocking this thread a bit later today after a final review.  Warning:  We expect civility on all sides.  Tough questions are appropriate and will be allowed to stand as long as they are civil.

EDIT:  Reopening thread.

Betsy
KB Moderator
« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 12:23:39 PM by Betsy the Quilter »

Offline ricola

• she's singing! love to all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 07, 2014, 04:02:11 PM »
Where do the audiences of these reviewers come from?  So you have a list of them?

A share in NetGalley is cheaper, and I can get dozens of reviews on blogs, Amazon, and Goodreads.

Offline Conrad.Murray

• London
    • View Profile
    • bookmarq.net
« Reply #90 on: August 07, 2014, 06:03:45 PM »
To me this seems to be a case of thou-protesting-too-much.

I have no idea whether Bookmarq.net is a legitimate and ethical service, but I do think that if I was running a business like that, then I would go out of my way to market my own books through the channels that I am promising to market other people's books. So I would sell on Amazon, and show how brilliant I am at doing that. I would have a huge Twitter following, a successful FB page, tons of reviews and testimonials that can be verified etc.

Amber Rose

My CV is fully available on LinkedIn and has been for the last few years. It includes a background going back 30 years which includes working for some major media brands including as a producer for the BBC and CNN and a solid unbroken history of 20+ years online marketing.

I invented a system for marketing Digital Products through Social Media around two years ago, set up a company, Loytech BV to sell it and successfully used it to promote bands in the music business and to get people to take up accounts in the gaming and gambling industry. Playtech which is the world's largest gaming business were our largest customer and we sold the IP on the gaming business to them earlier this year.

We already had a number of publisher clients who were using the system for promotion and continue to do so hence I formed bookmarq.net to deal with them in May. It essentially provides WordPress Hosting for writers but with a number of additional marketing tools available to them. I don't need to sell it - they come to us  - usually referred by other writers or publishers who use and like the service. We currently host around 1400 author websites at $150 a year and 150+ reviewer websites (free). We provide gateways to other services such as cover design, editing, training etc which are doing well.

I have written a couple of digital marketing manuals which along with training courses sell to corporate clients at prices which wouldn't work on Amazon.

Frankly I couldn't give a toss about the number of followers the corporate has on Twitter or the "friends" we have on Facebook. I have run a campaign across both in the last month which has generated 2m eyeballs and 48,000 coupon redemptions on books so far but I wouldn't imagine anyone who looked at it or bought would have a clue about our involvement.

So far I have written two pieces on KB, one which was a formula which simplifies what you need to think about if you want to market books which proved so uncontroversial no-one commented on it for ten hours and a second on metadata which no one has managed to disagree with. Neither were sales pitches.

I have a few ideas which I am still formulating about book marketing which I think may well benefit some people but I am nervous about the future of a market where there seem to be more writers than readers.

Offline ricola

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 07, 2014, 06:37:12 PM »
I read your post, and the reason I didn't comment was because it has so little substance.  It's full of generalities that everyone already knows and no one would disagree with.  That doesn't mean that you have anything of value to offer.  [edits because you edited]

No one here trusts you.  Why don't you pick one author you think will be a good fit for your model, give him or her the works gratis, and then let them tell the rest of us the results?  That would be worth a hundred hours of you trying to sell your services to us using vague terms that really don't much explain the how your service actually works.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2014, 03:53:48 AM by VMた »

Offline Erin Satie

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 07, 2014, 07:13:36 PM »
The thing that I find really bizarre here is that you're using these really, really top-shelf boasts (Millions of eyes! Forty thousand copies! Marketing secrets people spend thousands of dollars to read!) and then trying to sell us on peanuts (A wordpress site! Cover art! 3-5 reviews!).

When I want a glass of water, I don't fill up my bathtub. When I want to set up a website using a really popular and accessible platform, I don't go hunting for a high-powered marketing guru.

Though I have to say, the thing I find hardest to believe is the Knopf novel.

Offline dgaughran

• Dublin
  • Let's Get Digital
    • View Profile
    • David Gaughran
« Reply #93 on: August 08, 2014, 12:47:03 AM »
Let's sum things up about Bookmarq/Conrad Murray/Paige Doyle.

1. Conrad Murray has lots and lots of important clients, but he can't tell you who they are and his work leaves no trace on the internet, other than posts he writes. Funny that.

2. Conrad Murray has a book coming out with Knopf next year. Or so he says, because there is no mention of it anywhere on the internet. He then tries to say it's written under a pen-name. How convenient.

3. Conrad Murray claims to be doing giant promotional campaigns for huge companies, totally vague and unverifiable claims, and yet he's here trying to hustle business for cheap Wordpress hosting. Seems odd, doesn't it?

4. PaigeDoyle (who doesn't seem to exist outside Conrad Murray's head) claims that Bookmarq have an "award-winning iRabbit Reader Multiplication system." Isn't it strange that such an acclaimed award-winning system which has had success in three different industries has - you guessed it! - left no trace on the internet.

5. All of the links PaigeDoyle shared above are broken, e.g. http://bookmarq.net/public-schools-and-the-great-war-the-generation-lost-by-anthony-seldon-and-david-walsh-2/ & http://bookmarq.net/why-bm-blog/ & http://bookmarq.net/marketing-packages-overview/ - not a great sign Bookmarq knows what it's doing. When you click on the bio for Paige Doyle - http://bookmarq.net/author/newpaige/ - that link is also broken. And you are supposed to pay these guys for web design/hosting?

6. As for the "services" that Bookmarq is selling (and touting here across numerous threads), let's take Cover Design as an example. Here's their page - http://bookmarq.net/self-publishing/professional-cover-design/ - Note that it doesn't have one single example of a cover they have designed, or any price at all. Serious red flags.

7. In case you think I'm cherry-picking, here's the page on print formatting. Again, no prices, and very shady looking: http://bookmarq.net/self-publishing/professional-book-production/

8. Again, their "Managed Book Marketing" page has no prices for their services. Or no examples of clients they have worked with, or case studies, or anything really except a load of generalized guff, and then a form where you fill out your contact details. Uber shady: http://bookmarq.net/marketing-services/

9. They actually provide a service which claims to help you find an agent. First they squeeze you with money providing a "critique" (although I don't know how Conrad Murray's supposed experience in data marketing qualifies him to know what agents are looking for). This critique costs $175 per 10,000 words. Then they charge you $199 to write a query letter which goes to 10 agents, and each additional agent is charged at $10 a pop. Then they hilariously claim to be able to represent you in negotiations and finally hammer out the contract, and for this service, you will pay a "Price related to value of contract." This is so, so dodgy. Read about it here: http://bookmarq.net/traditional-authors/

10. Bookmarq has a "Rights Reversion Management" program where (for a fee, but they don't say how much) they will get your rights back from your publisher - despite the fact that Conrad Murray or Paige Doyle aren't lawyers and don't seem to know anything about book contracts. They will then republish the titles as e-books, and pay you 50% net. Wow. Sign me up! http://bookmarq.net/traditional-authors/rights-reversion-management/

11. They claim to be "book marketing professionals" but don't know the difference between a Facebook Profile and a Facebook Page.

12. Conrad Murray claims to have years of marketing experience, but then he names one of his products an iRabbit (famous sex toy). Really? That's too funny.

Run away, people.

Offline dgaughran

• Dublin
  • Let's Get Digital
    • View Profile
    • David Gaughran
« Reply #94 on: August 08, 2014, 01:10:56 AM »
And if that's not enough to convince you on what Conrad Murray is up to here, this is a brief history of his KBoards membership.

1. Joined August 1st.

2. Aug 2, posted to this cover design thread, offering his services: http://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,191164.msg2698769.html#msg2698769

3. Aug 2, posted to this Createspace thread, offering his services: http://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,191010.msg2698792.html#msg2698792

4. Aug 2, again touted for business in the cover design thread: http://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,191164.msg2698836.html#msg2698836

5. Aug 3, pimped his services in an editing thread: http://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,191044.msg2699482.html#msg2699482

6. Aug 6, started a thread on metadata, pimped his services at the end: http://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,188987.msg2702741.html#msg2702741

7. Aug 6, touted for business in a thread on pirates: http://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,191739.msg2702761.html#msg2702761

8. Aug 6, promoted his social media expertise (LOL!) and touted for business in this thread on social media http://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,191370.msg2703131.html#msg2703131

9. Aug 6, again touted for business in that same thread: http://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,191370.msg2703244.html#msg2703244

I can keep going. Is there really any doubt about this guy and why he's here?

Offline ricola

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 08, 2014, 04:00:50 AM »
Your prices for creating a query letter are extremely unethical never mind that you want a commission on the contract, and your "reversion rights management" is screamingly exploitative.

If you're not going to give someone on kboards the full treatment, why don't you at least outline what kind of campaign you've run on Facebook?  Just one campaign that you've run--who, how, what, and results.

Offline Courtney Milan

• View Profile
    • http://www.courtneymilan.com
« Reply #96 on: August 08, 2014, 05:32:41 AM »
I invented a system for marketing Digital Products through Social Media around two years ago, set up a company, Loytech BV to sell it and successfully used it to promote bands in the music business and to get people to take up accounts in the gaming and gambling industry. Playtech which is the world's largest gaming business were our largest customer and we sold the IP on the gaming business to them earlier this year.

Does this company have a website? The URL listed on Linkedin is loytech.com, but that domain is not active, and when you examine the history, it's clear that whoever registered that domain only registered it on September 2013 (in its current iteration). Your domain for your highly internet company was inactive between January 2012 and September 2013, when you claim to be in operation.

http://whoisrequest.org/history/loytech.com

If only there were a way to find out if Loytech as a company ever existed in the UK! It's not like companies have to be registered in the UK, or that registration information is public.

Oh. Wait. They do, and the registration is, and anyone can search for themselves here:
  http://wck2.companieshouse.gov.uk//wcframe?name=accessCompanyInfo
and figure out that your massive company...was not, in fact, a registered company.

We already had a number of publisher clients who were using the system for promotion and continue to do so hence I formed bookmarq.net to deal with them in May. It essentially provides WordPress Hosting for writers but with a number of additional marketing tools available to them. I don't need to sell it - they come to us  - usually referred by other writers or publishers who use and like the service. We currently host around 1400 author websites at $150 a year and 150+ reviewer websites (free). We provide gateways to other services such as cover design, editing, training etc which are doing well.

Wow. 1400 authors have switched hosting--and to you!--in three months! That's pretty impressive. Too bad you don't mention who they are. Naturally, as someone with a number of publisher clients, and as a legitimate enterprise that sold your IP to a huge company, you likely have a lawyer on retainer who advised you about things like your website terms and conditions: http://bookmarq.net/terms-and-conditions/

(Screenshot for posterity since these guys are scrubbing traces).

These appear to have been plagiarized directly from Bloomsbury's terms and conditions, changing only the name: https://www.writersandartists.co.uk/terms-and-conditions

And you've done so wholesale, even including terms like this:

where there are no biographies on your site.

I've been told to be "civil," but frankly, I'm not sure what that means in a case like this. Is it uncivil for me to call Connor Murray a "liar" when he has yet to make a verifiable claim, and not a single statement that he makes stands up to even the slightest scrutiny?

Is it uncivil for me to say that he is not running a legitimate business when his company is not registered, does not have a website record that tracks his claims, does not exist in the media in any form, has no verifiable clients or demonstrable successes, and plagiarizes its terms and conditions even when such plagiarism makes no sense?

Calling someone a "liar" and a "scammer" is surely uncivil when there is reasonable doubt. But being a liar and a scammer is also uncivil, and when people are in fact liars and scammers, labeling them as such is a matter of fact.

Courtney Milan                                                                                                                                                        <coming soon>
http://www.courtneymilan.com

Offline ricola

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 08, 2014, 05:36:37 AM »
FWIW, legal documents aren't protected under copyright and can't be plagiarized.  But as for the rest.....

Online MaryMcDonald

• View Profile
    • M.P. McDonald
« Reply #98 on: August 08, 2014, 05:42:13 AM »
I think David & Courtney have just schooled Conrad. *slow clap*  ;D

The Mark Taylor Series-Intense thrillers | CJ Sheridan Thrillers
M.P. McDonald | M.P. McDonald | Facebook | Amazon Author Page

Offline Courtney Milan

• View Profile
    • http://www.courtneymilan.com
« Reply #99 on: August 08, 2014, 05:47:14 AM »
FWIW, legal documents aren't protected under copyright and can't be plagiarized.  But as for the rest.....

(a) Plagiarism and copyright violation are not the same thing. That is why I used the word "plagiarized" and not words like "pirated" or "infringed." Plagiarism is copying without attribution.

(b) I don't know where you're getting your information, and don't know the rule in the UK, but in the US, the author of a legal document absolutely has copyright in that legal document. Fair use usually allows the wide dissemination of some legal documents for noncommercial purposes, but this? No. [ETA 2: In the UK, legal documents are also copyrighted: http://www.lawgazette.co.uk/news/legal-documents-bound-by-rules-of-copyright/38484.article]

ETA:

(c) In this case, the reason I cite it is to demonstrate the ongoing illegitimacy of the company, and the legal status is irrelevant. If you're plagiarizing your T&C, and not customizing them to your site, it's almost certain that you don't have counsel on retainer, and you aren't the massive business you represent yourself to be.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2014, 05:51:36 AM by Courtney Milan »

Courtney Milan                                                                                                                                                        <coming soon>
http://www.courtneymilan.com