KB Featured Book
The Mind of a Medium
by Tony Garrod

$0.00
Kindle Edition published 2017-01-29
Bestseller ranking: 1655883

Product Description
A fascinating look at consciousness, mediumship, psychics, spritualist circles, scientific theories, the paranormal and more.

As a developing medium, there are many questions we need answers to concerning our ability, but find that many of those questions have no answers no matter how hard we look.

In this book I describe different sides to becoming a medium and give some guidance as to what sort of circle may best suit an individual. I explain how different circle venues and the people who attend and run them can help or hinder progress in this field. I also explain the different techniques that various tutors use and discuss the experiences I've had with the mediums, tutors and lessons I've taken in the circles I've attended. I explain how connections are experienced, made and lost, and the ups and downs to connections made.

If you've read my first book, Fifty-one Percent, you will know that I like ...

Author Topic: 15,000 books in two months, 32,000 books first year. Advice for newbies!  (Read 69618 times)  

Offline bellabentley

• View Profile
    • XoxoBellaBentley
This is really awesome! I am loving this thread :). Major congrats to you!! I totally agree with your method. It's what I do, as well. :) Although my books are more like novelettes. However, I am moving toward releasing larger works in the fall. :) I have a question for you! I noticed you mentioned that you release a book every two months. I was wondering how many hours a day that takes from you and any tips to overcoming writer's block or when you don't "feel" like focusing. Thanks!! <3

Offline cblewgolf

• New Jersey
    • View Profile
    • Deep Rough
Kudos to you and your success.  Very inspiring!  I've started 2 series and can't wait to get them out there.
Thanks for sharing!

Offline anniejocoby

• View Profile
This is really awesome! I am loving this thread :). Major congrats to you!! I totally agree with your method. It's what I do, as well. :) Although my books are more like novelettes. However, I am moving toward releasing larger works in the fall. :) I have a question for you! I noticed you mentioned that you release a book every two months. I was wondering how many hours a day that takes from you and any tips to overcoming writer's block or when you don't "feel" like focusing. Thanks!! <3

Thanks for the question! I'm a fast, fast, fast writer. I guess I'm lucky that way, because once my fingers start to fly, the words just tumble out. Plus I can type about 90 WPM, which helps immensely. I can get 1500 good words out an hour. That doesn't count editing time, of course. So, I can basically write a 60,000 word novel, which is the very shortest I can do, in about 40 good hours. But that's assuming I don't have writer's block, but I just push through that.

As for writing when I just don't wanna...I either try to push through it, if I'm on deadline (I make personal deadlines), or I just watch television and veg if I have just finished a novel. Inevitably, if I am in a sour mood, I think that my writing is crap as I do it, but, I read through it when I'm in a better frame of mind, and it doesn't sound half bad.

Right now, I've been dealing with home stress - I had the flu, which kicked my butt, my husband and I have been fighting a lot, and he's dealing with depression, so I've been most unproductive as of late. Have to get back on track, which means 6000 words a day next week. I hate doing that, but it has to be done. :)
« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 04:53:43 PM by anniejocoby »

Two dollars! Two dollars! I want my two dollars!!!
Annie Jocoby website

Offline Sheluvspink

• ...Somewhere only we know..
    • View Profile
This is SOO Super encouraging thank you so much for sharing!!

Offline Phronk

• London, Ontario
    • View Profile
    • Phronk.com
This is the best story I've read in weeks!

Thank you thank you thank you for sharing.

Furthermore, thank you.

Offline CesarAnthony

• View Profile
Congrats.

Thank you for the tips.
I hope to one day have this kind of success.

Offline RN_Wright

• For new releases info: http://eepurl.com/PNaJz
    • View Profile
    • Book Page
Very inspiring! Thank you.

Offline SA_Archer

• View Profile
yay! Can you do a permafree?  If so, do it yesterday!  :)
I am trying to get Amazon to go permafree on my first collection. It is free everywhere else, but so far no dice. I do have 6 permafree episodes, but they don't move a bunch. I need to get it up on Google Play as free, and maybe that will make the difference with Amazon.

I think my serial format was too experimental and I don't get a lot of conversion onto the next collection. Like I had two big promos the past few weeks for my 99 cent first collection, which sold 150 copies. (A huge amount for me.) But the second collection which continues the story has only had 11 sales.

I am wrapping up the final book in that serial now, and switching to a novel series. It will be easier to promote and market with that, I hope.

Offline WrittenWordMediaTeam

• North Carolina
    • View Profile
    • Freebooksy

7) Fool around with different stuff until you hit your sweet spot. I mean, I'm allergic to marketing. Hate it. HATE IT. But it only takes a few minutes to apply to BookBub, and it's not that expensive when you look at the ROI. And Freebooksy - I'm a fan! A HUGE fan! They will literally take anyone, so, if BookBub turns you down, try them out! I have always had an AMAZING ROI with them, and they've been a great help to me, especially since BookBub keeps turning down any book of mine not named Beautiful Illusions.

<3 <3 <3

We're a huge fan of yours as well! :D
Chloe Kizer
Editorial Manager, Freebooksy & Bargain Booksy
http://freebooksy.com | http://bargainbooksy.com

Offline anniejocoby

• View Profile
I am trying to get Amazon to go permafree on my first collection. It is free everywhere else, but so far no dice. I do have 6 permafree episodes, but they don't move a bunch. I need to get it up on Google Play as free, and maybe that will make the difference with Amazon.

I think my serial format was too experimental and I don't get a lot of conversion onto the next collection. Like I had two big promos the past few weeks for my 99 cent first collection, which sold 150 copies. (A huge amount for me.) But the second collection which continues the story has only had 11 sales.

I am wrapping up the final book in that serial now, and switching to a novel series. It will be easier to promote and market with that, I hope.

Did you try actually writing Amazon at  https://kdp.amazon.com/contact-us ? If not, do that, and be sure and give them the link to your book where it is free on other channels. That should speed things up!  Good luck!

Annie Jocoby website

Offline christianem

• View Profile
Thank you so much for the super informative post. :)

Offline bellabentley

• View Profile
    • XoxoBellaBentley
Wow, thank you for sharing and replying to my question. :) I'm wishing you the best and hope you feel better! Isn't it nice to have writing to turn to sometimes when the outside world seems a bit off. I'm happy you have that :) <3 Thanks for inspiring me to write when I don't feel like it! One last thing!! LOL, do you outline? Or are you just a fly by the seat of your pants so to speak?

Offline LJ

• NH, USA
    • View Profile
Thank you, Annie! Thank you for sharing and congratulations!!!

Offline anniejocoby

• View Profile
Wow, thank you for sharing and replying to my question. :) I'm wishing you the best and hope you feel better! Isn't it nice to have writing to turn to sometimes when the outside world seems a bit off. I'm happy you have that :) <3 Thanks for inspiring me to write when I don't feel like it! One last thing!! LOL, do you outline? Or are you just a fly by the seat of your pants so to speak?

Definitely a pantser, LOL. I have NEVER outlined anything. I would think that would be too restrictive. I pretty much sit down and write, and then the ideas flow from there. I did try to do a sort of outline once, in that I wrote down what I wanted to have happen. But, of course, not much of what I wrote down actually happened, because the story usually takes twists and turns that I don't anticipate at all. It never cooperates with me, LOL.

It is funny, though. I always have a mini-panic right before I start a new story, just because I have no idea what to write about. I never have confidence that I will actually pull it off, but that goes away once I start. And I cannot think about the story in my head. It literally has to come as I write it, so I don't generally dream up plotlines as I'm walking the dogs or whatever. I know, it sounds weird, but that's how I roll!

And I would also like to say a HUGE "you're welcome" to the newbies and others who have said thanks. And, honestly, it's my pleasure to be able to pay it forward. It really is. I want EVERYBODY to be successful. I truly, truly do. So, thanks to everyone who said thanks to me. And it would give me no larger pleasure than for the newbies on this thread to write their very own success story on their one-year anniversary!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Annie Jocoby website

Online Philip Gibson

• Laos (Moved from Yorkshire)
  • Philip and Cookie the Dog
    • View Profile
    • Hashtag Histories
Thanks for all the excellent information. It's really helpful.

I have a question.

The book I am planning to take out of Select, publish on the other sites through D2D and make permafree currently has backmatter descriptions (+ cover images), and links to, my other books in the Amazon stores as well as my website. I assume I'd have to take these links out before submitting to D2D since the other sites won't want to display Amazon links. So how do you direct readers to your other books if no links are allowed? Do you just display the books' titles? Put in book descriptions? Cover images? Or just a link to your website?

Thanks

Philip

What if there had been social media during important historical events?
Philip Gibson | Hashtag Histories | Word By Word Graded Readers for Children

Offline anniejocoby

• View Profile
Thanks for all the excellent information. It's really helpful.

I have a question.

The book I am planning to take out of Select, publish on the other sites through D2D and make permafree currently has backmatter descriptions (+ cover images), and links to, my other books in the Amazon stores as well as my website. I assume I'd have to take these links out before submitting to D2D since the other sites won't want to display Amazon links. So how do you direct readers to your other books if no links are allowed? Do you just display the books' titles? Put in book descriptions? Cover images? Or just a link to your website?

Thanks

Philip

Apple is the only one who's picky about that. Nobody else seems to care. But, yeah, if you even MENTION the word Amazon in your book, Apple will kick it out and take 8 weeks to do so. Found that one out the hard way, let me tell you.

What you are talking about is another great reason to upload direct. Not sure what country that you are in, but if you upload direct you can tailor each book for that particular sales channel. It's a bit of a pain, though. On Nook, here is how I do it - I upload the books to get the link. And then I go in and edit the books to add the links in. You can do that with Nook without having to upload a new manuscript. With Kobo, it's trickier, as you actually have to upload a whole new book to them with the links added in. And, the problem with Nook is that when the book is free, you cannot upload direct, you must use an aggregator, so you can't add in links through D2D. So I just put in a blurb at the end telling them that the next book is available, and don't put in a link. I'm sure that I lose sales because of that.

All this is making me more motivated to buy a Mac so that I can upload direct to Apple. You can upload freebies to Apple. It's just that they make it so damned difficult. You have to download their software, and you have to use a Mac. I have found the hard way that renting an Apple, where you turn your pc into a Mac, doesn't work, because you have to have administrator privileges to download their software. I spent a good 8 hours trying just that, and finally threw up my hands in frustration. So, it does look like I soon will be getting a Mac.

Annie Jocoby website

Offline SA_Archer

• View Profile
Have you ever tried/thought about making the second book in the series perma-free instead of the first? Does that work? I'm just thinking that maybe if it's great enough, people will think to themselves, "Well, I need to buy the first book to find out how this story started" and then they'll buy #3 because they want to know how it ended.  Has anyone tried this before and what happened as a result?

I used to listen to The Self Publishing podcast, and they actually did this. With the second collection of their serial running for free they had a ton of sales on the first books. Now, they have a lot of advice that works amazing for them, and doesn't work at all for me. That being said, I thought I would share their results.

I think maybe if your series is not super-linear you could probably do this well. If each book stands strong on its own, then any book could be your gateway book, in theory. Some mystery series and romance series would be a good examples. Like, you could read any Miss Marple book and enjoy it, without having read any of the previous books. But you might want to go back and read them to see if any story thread carry through the series.

Just my two-cents. :)

Offline SA_Archer

• View Profile
Did you try actually writing Amazon at  https://kdp.amazon.com/contact-us ? If not, do that, and be sure and give them the link to your book where it is free on other channels. That should speed things up!  Good luck!

I just sent them the email. Thanks for the advice! I've got my fingers crossed that they will feel in a generous mood.

Online Evenstar

• Bristol, UK
  • YA and PNR
    • View Profile
    • Author Website
BTW, if anybody is curious - I just checked my Google Play sales. This month I have made....drum roll...about $8!!!!! Woo hoo! Time to buy me a Starbucks Latte!

Seriously, though, if anybody reads this thread and does well on Google Play, please post or message me. I cannot, for the life of me, figure out how to get traction there. Thanks!

Hi Annie
I make about $200 on google every month, with six books but two of them are free, so that's only from four books. I have no idea why I do so well on there though. I loaded them all up one day and haven't checked back since.

I think it's amazing that for about four hours work (it took me a while to work out their interface), that I consistently get paid by them for doing nothing more.  Which basically means that in the last four months (since I put my books up) I've made $800 just for that four hours work (after all the books were already written and loaded up everywhere else).

So I have to recommend google to others because it would make no sense for me not to. I have no idea why I do so well there though, maybe it's my genre? Maybe teenagers use googleplay a lot?

Online Evenstar

• Bristol, UK
  • YA and PNR
    • View Profile
    • Author Website
Hi, sorry, I have another question about switching from smashwords to D2D.  Would the old versions of my book merge with the new D2D version or would I lose all my reviews and basically be starting from scratch?

Offline SA_Archer

• View Profile
Annie,

I just got an email back from Amazon saying the price matching should be in effect in the next couple of days!

Thank you!

Offline anniejocoby

• View Profile
Annie,

I just got an email back from Amazon saying the price matching should be in effect in the next couple of days!

Thank you!

Yay! Good luck! And remember - when the downloads drop off a cliff, buy a Freebooksy ad to keep it up there. And good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!

Annie Jocoby website

Offline anniejocoby

• View Profile
Hi, sorry, I have another question about switching from smashwords to D2D.  Would the old versions of my book merge with the new D2D version or would I lose all my reviews and basically be starting from scratch?

Hi! Wow, you have done AMAZING on Google Play. So congrats to you! You've done nothing special over there at all? I'm impressed!

As for the question about D2D v. Smashwords. I think, but I'm not positive, but I think that it won't affect anything if you switch over. But I probably wouldn't switch if you aren't have problems with Smashwords. I always advice people not to start with them because of the headaches that inevitably ensue, but if you are already there with no problems I wouldn't bolt. If ain't broke, don't fix it. :)

Annie Jocoby website

Offline Perro Callejero

• View Profile
Thanks very much for being so generous with your experiences, Annie.  It's very kind of you.

7) You don't have to be Shakespeare. My first book was, and is, seriously flawed. I used soap opera plot points instead of delving into emotions, there wasn't a coherent story, and I threw in everything but the kitchen sink. Still, it ENTERTAINED enough to get me going. I will have to admit that my second series is objectively better - more coherent, more poignant, and there are actual themes in these books. Which is no doubt why that series has taken on a life of it's own, where I still have to constantly push my Illusions series. But, the bottom line is, to entertain. You don't necessarily have to have a Dickensian way with words as long as the readers keep turning the pages.

This point is one of the ones I appreciated most in your original post.  Probably one of the biggest struggles I've faced as a writer is my own self-doubt about the quality of my writing.  Getting a degree in Creative Writing didn't help with that, either--the workshop process is basically a fault-finding machine.  It's only recently, after writing for nearly 20 years, that I've started to shake off that self-doubt handicap.  I've basically decided that I'd rather be a hack writer than an excellent office drone.  So, my new mission is to flood the world with my words.

Offline anniejocoby

• View Profile
Thanks very much for being so generous with your experiences, Annie.  It's very kind of you.

This point is one of the ones I appreciated most in your original post.  Probably one of the biggest struggles I've faced as a writer is my own self-doubt about the quality of my writing.  Getting a degree in Creative Writing didn't help with that, either--the workshop process is basically a fault-finding machine.  It's only recently, after writing for nearly 20 years, that I've started to shake off that self-doubt handicap.  I've basically decided that I'd rather be a hack writer than an excellent office drone.  So, my new mission is to flood the world with my words.

So glad that I could inspire you about that! I mean, we ALL have self-doubt. I think that goes with the writer's temperament. Each and every book I think "welp, this might be the book that will force me to get a new pen name." And to think that you have actual rabid fans, and that they might be let down by what you write next, is paralyzing in a way. I'm feeling that way right now about my new book. It's a little bit different from my others, as the guy in this is an actual, gods-honest nice guy who is penniless. The girl is rich, though. I really like it, but am so afraid that my fans won't that I'm just going to make it free from the get-go so that I won't feel that I have cheated anybody.

So, you aren't alone. Just write, write, write, and eventually something will hit. Good luck!!!!!

Annie Jocoby website

Buy Scrivener for Windows or Mac