Author Launch - turn-key sites for authors
KB Featured Book
Wish Granted! Tips, Tools, and Templates to Write a Winning Grant
by Holly Rustick

$1.99
Kindle Edition published 2017-08-22
Bestseller ranking: 95983

Product Description
INCLUDES BONUS FREE E-DOWNLOADS: TEMPLATES FOR GRANT WRITING!

Grant writing shouldn’t feel like a trip to the dentist. Take the pain out of the process with this innovative and fun, yes fun, guide. Learn all the inside tips and tools of the grant-writing trade in this easy-to-read and upbeat book.
This book is definitely for you if:
•You break out in a cold sweat when your boss mentions the word ‘grant’.
•You’ve been tempted to throw your computer against the wall while writing a grant.
•You happily tell stakeholders there’s plenty of grants out there … but haven’t the faintest idea how to write and get one!
•You think you can send out a bog-standard letter to a bunch of organizations and get funded.
•Your eyes glaze over when you’re presented with grant writing jargon and acronyms.
•Your organization’s grant success A-game has r...

Author Topic: What would you do with a tribe of I-only-read-on-paper fans?  (Read 543 times)  

Offline cperfumo

• View Profile
    • Cristian Perfumo - Novelas de misterio en la Patagonia
Hi fellow writers!

Let me start by saying that compared to the average indie writer who hangs around Kboards, I'm a rather unusual one. Don't get me wrong, I'm also trying to get my name out there, put my books in front to heaps of readers, grow my email list, etc. But there are two aspects in which I'm the odd one out here:

1) I write in Spanish
2) I have way more success in print than in electronic form.

(I'm sure there is a correlation between 1 and 2, as the ebook market in Spanish-speaking countries is lightyears behind the English-speaking world)

I have sold thousands of my self-published books in paper (old school style: I pay a printer, they send me boxes and boxes of the stuff and then I sell them in Patagonia, where I'm from). I have very, VERY, limited distribution (three bookstores and a shop at a regional airport). Yet, word of mouth has kicked in in that part of the world and readers seem to enjoy my books and I'm rather known in the area (nothing huge, but a rather nice situation. For example, every time I do a book launch, I'll sell well over 100 paper copies in a day. There were over 200 people in my last book launch in my hometown). Also, some of my books are used in schools (as in, that's one of the things the students have to read), and I've managed to score a couple of interviews in rather known magazines and radio shows in the region. So, in short, I've got that part of the world is pretty well covered.

Yet, all of that kind of doesn't translate to digital, where I am just one more guy in an ocean of authors (many of them waaaay better than me).

So, here is the question for you: I have an email list of about 300 very loyal subscribers (and growing). I'd say 200 of them are people who have never read a book in electronic format. I know if I asked them a favour (leave a review, for example), they'd do it. The problem is, these are people who don't even have an Amazon account. I would love to leverage this list to help me with my very meagre ebook sales. Do you think it's possible? How would you do it?

The only half-decent idea that I've had so far is to launch my next book as an ebook first and wait a bit before releasing it on paper (usually, I release them at the same time), and then hit the email list explaining that (a) you can read a book on a tablet or your phone!, and (b) this is what you have to do to get mine. That way, I'd probably "convert" some of my paper-only fans into e-fans with an Amazon account (who can later leave a review, their purchase counts for the algorithms, etc). The only downside I guess is that some of those people wouldn't go and buy the paper version when it's released.

Any thoughs/advice? Any ideas will be greatly appreciated!

Sorry for the humongous post!

Cheers

Cristian
Is any of your books translated into Spanish? Then try this ebook promotion service for Spanish-speaking people:

Offline dgaughran

• Dublin
  • Let's Get Digital
    • View Profile
    • David Gaughran
Re: What would you do with a tribe of I-only-read-on-paper fans?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2015, 02:39:46 AM »
One thing you could try is Amazon's Matchbook program, which allows you to set a special price for the e-book if they own/buy the paperback. You can set this price to free, so that if they buy the paperback they get the e-book for nothing.

You should check this program extends to customers in Argentina, but, if it does, it could be a cool way to get them to (a) open Amazon accounts and buy the paperback from Createspace instead and (b) start using e-books.

And if Matchbook isn't open to Argentine customers yet, or you didn't want to switch those offset sales to Createspace, you could try something like that yourself - i.e. offer them a free copy of the e-book version if they order the paperback. You could get them to verify their purchase by sending you a receipt or (and I prefer this) getting them to take a photograph of them holding your book, and you could then do something cool with those photos too.

You could also ask them to leave reviews on Goodreads, which doesn't (I think - I might be wrong) require them having an account at Amazon or anywhere else.

And then wait for the future to come! Amazon should be opening in Argentina/Chile in the next few years, and any time they enter a new market they radically transform it, so you should have a few more Amazon customers/digital readers down your way soon enough.

If it was me, I'd prefer offering the readers some kind of inducement, rather than punishing them by holding back one edition to try and force them towards another. That usually doesn't go down well.

P.S. I love Argentina and cry to myself every time I think of all the lomo I can't eat.

David Gaughran | mailing list | blog | website | facebook | twitter
LET'S GET DIGITAL 2 Free for purchasers of the 1st edition! Instructions here

Offline shimmering

• Cumbria
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2015, 04:32:36 AM »
Hey Cristian, It's good to read about your different perspective. I also sell more from my own similarly print-run based operation than I sell in ebooks.... (but on a rather smaller scale that what you have achieved)

I have to wonder: why do you want to change your current paperback readers into ebook readers?

You would probably (I guess, maybe you have already worked it out with the prices you would charge) make less cash from ebooks per sale, especially if you are selling paperbacks directly.

As a reader, I would get pretty annoyed if an author whose work I was buying started to get evangelical about the way I should be consuming their work. Especially if they did what you suggest and delayed publication in my preferred (paperback in this case) format as part of that mission. (Maybe it's just me....)

I guess then that the reason you are asking this is that you want to get more visibility from the sales you are getting, and are thinking that a way to do that would be through Amazon's rankings.

One thing I would consider doing (if you haven't already) would be to make the paperback available through Amazon using createspace. It can seem counterintuitive to do this when you already have boxfuls of books in the house, but if buyers (in, I don't know, Spain or somewhere) are put off making a purchase by expensive international postage then it could mean you are making sales you might not otherwise have made... I am in the UK and have set up paperback sales through the Amazon (.com) website using createspace so some buyers will not have to pay transatlantic postage.
If you already have the files for your printer, it is pretty trivial to set up a book on createspace. (and if you choose distribution options to sell through the createspace and amazon stores only and use the same size/format of book then you don't need a new ISBN.) That way you make the paperback available to worldwide spanish-speaking markets in a way that will possibly be easier for them and you than for you to post books across borders. The second advantage of doing this is that some of your paperback sales will then enter a magical algorithm and ranking system (albeit not the same one as for ebook sales I am pretty sure) which can lead to increased visibility on Amazon stores. It's an option anyway.

Again, I don't know whether you are doing this already (probably yes), but you should be set up as an Amazon Seller to sell the paperbacks from your print run through Amazon. I only have this set up on Amazon UK (but with the possibility to post worldwide), but they way it works for me is that Amazon sets standard postage costs depending on where the buyer is located (and presumably the seller... this is what you would need to check). And again I think sales of this type do get felt in a ranking change.

Hope that gives some ideas (although maybe all obvious) ... for me, a tribe of paperback readers are very much worth keeping ... Instead of wondering what to do with those readers, I'd maybe wonder about how to gather a second group of ebook readers from places in the world where people do read ebooks in Spanish.

Offline cperfumo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2015, 10:21:13 PM »
Hi David and Ian,

Thank you very much for your advice! I found it very helpful. I think you both are right in that my readers won't appreciate being forced to changing the format in which they consume stories.

Having said that, even though my books are available on CreateSpace (some of there still on Lulu, I have to get around to move them to CS), most of my readers are in Argentina. At the moment, Argentina has very funny rules in terms of spending money in foreign currency and I won't bore you with the details, but the consequence is that if you buy a book on CreateSpace with an Argentinian credit card, you end up being charged an extra 35%. Plus, you have to go to the post office at a special time to pick up your parcel delivered from overseas. In short, I think it's harder to get my paper-loving readers to buy from CreateSpace than to convert to e-reading :)

In any case, I couldn't agree more with Ian about my tribe being worth keeping. Absolutely! Those people are amazing! The last thing I want to do is inconvenience them. So I guess I'll have to keep growing my e-tribe for a little longer before I can make a dent on Amazon's algorithms.

Thank you again!

Cristian

PS: David, tell me about it! I've been out of the country for 9 years now, and every time I go back I think to myself "man, this is the best meat in the world!"
Is any of your books translated into Spanish? Then try this ebook promotion service for Spanish-speaking people:

Offline Marilyn Peake

• View Profile
    • Marilyn Peake: Author Website
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2015, 02:50:29 AM »
I agree with David and Ian's advice. I also enjoyed hearing about your experiences with book sales in Patagonia.

Marilyn Peake | Website | Twitter | Facebook | Newsletter | Wattpad

Offline cperfumo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2015, 05:49:53 AM »
It's my pleasure to share them with such a sharing bunch like everyone here!