KB Featured Book
The Awakening (Book 1 Bloodmane Chronicles)
by Sara Brooke

$4.99
Kindle Edition published 2014-11-25
Bestseller ranking: 127921

Product Description
Everything she knows . . .

Renda Bloodmane is a quiet librarian, who lives a quiet life, in a small quiet town in Florida. Her days consist of going to work (which she loves) and watching old Hollywood movies with her dog Jane (which she also loves). Her life is just fine, if a tad on the dull side. So, when her best friend from college, Bobbie Trillo, invites her to visit her family in Georgia, Renda decides a vacation is in order. Bobbie has moved back in with her mother and brother after her parents’ divorce. Things aren’t going well for her mother, and Bobbie needs Renda’s friendship and support.

Everything she believes . . .

Renda soon discovers that there is a lot more going on in the Trillo household than meets the eye. The moment she sets foot in the Trillo home, Renda starts seeing ghosts everywhere she turns. But one very unique ghost stands out from the rest. A sinfully attractive man named Cole...

Author Topic: Kindle Unlimited: the scoop threads merged... :)  (Read 75794 times)

Offline MJWare

• View Profile
    • MJ Ware - Stories for Kids
Kindle Unlimited: the scoop threads merged... :)
« on: July 16, 2014, 01:54:03 AM »
Looks like Amazon just started (at least I've never seen it before) Kindle Unlimited: $9.99 for unlimited access to Prime books?

Anyone know how we are going to get paid for these books? Is it just like another borrow? I can't imagine it would be, or they'd loose money on the deal?

(My Select title seem to be auto-enrolled)

UPDATE: The original link has been removed, so here's a cached copy (thanks to Julie):
http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:6jL66Zad7zIJ:www.amazon.com/gp/kindle/ku/sign-up/ui/rw/about+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

UPDATE 2: Here's a link to the KindleUnlimited Youtube ad (thanks to Karen McQuestion):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnVNbYdo2FU

UPDATE 3: It looks like the service is really live now:
https://www.amazon.com/Kindle-eBooks/b/ref=ARRAY(0xa6e16ea0)?_encoding=UTF8&ie=UTF8&node=9578129011&pfShowFeatures=&ref_=ku_lp_rw_dp_pb&ref_=ku_lp_rw_dp_pb&tag=viglink20273-20
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 02:56:34 PM by MJAWare »

Online Herc- The Reluctant Geek

• Australia
    • View Profile
    • The Reluctant Geek
Re: Kindle Unlimited?? Anyone have the scoop?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2014, 01:57:04 AM »
Do you have a link or something? This is a game changer if it's real. All I can find is Kindle Freetime unlimited, which is for kid's books.

Online Elizabeth Ann West

• Ledyard, CT
  • Our doubts are traitors...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2014, 01:57:26 AM »
Look like someone doesn't like Scribd

Jane-of-all-trades, mistress to none!
Elizabeth Ann West | LoveToReadEbooks.com

Offline MJWare

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2014, 01:57:47 AM »
Do you have a link or something? This is a game changer if it's real. All I can find is Kindle Freetime unlimited, which is for kid's books.
Yeah, that might be helpful!
https://www.amazon.com/Kindle-eBooks/b/ref=ARRAY(0xa49855e8)?_encoding=UTF8&ie=UTF8&node=9578129011&pfShowFeatures=&ref_=ku_lp_rw_dp_pb&ref_=ku_lp_rw_dp_pb

Looks like it includes some audiobooks too.

• Australia
    • View Profile
    • The Reluctant Geek
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2014, 02:03:52 AM »
OMG. The people at scribd and oyster just got reamed. It was always going to happen once the all you can read services got going, but I thought Amazon would just buy them out.

d*mn. I wonder if it's open to indies, and what the royalties are.

Can someone with books in prime see if their books are available through unlimited. Us non-US folk can't use it yet.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 02:08:21 AM by Herc- The Reluctant Geek »

Offline DTW

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2014, 02:07:46 AM »
Brilliant.

Also, the ADSers are going to lose their rectal matter over this.  Should be extremely amusing.

+1, big fan, would like again.

Offline MJWare

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2014, 02:08:55 AM »
It looks like the only book I have that's included in the program is my title In KDP Select.

Honestly, if it pays the same rate, I'll put a couple more books into Select.

There's only 600,000 titles available now, but  it's not only indies.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 02:11:14 AM by MJAWare »

Offline Catherine Gardiner

• UK
    • View Profile
    • Catherine Gardiner
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2014, 02:15:23 AM »
Cool. Just checked and my book is on page 14 (or 4 in just pics search) of teen horror.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 02:17:42 AM by Catherine Gardiner »

• Australia
    • View Profile
    • The Reluctant Geek
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2014, 02:18:31 AM »
Scribd and Oyster are tiny by comparison and I've gotten good numbers from them. Amazon Unlimited has the potential to be HUGE.

All the book nuts will take out a membership and gorge till their brains pop, which makes Select pretty much a necessity for those wanting to turn a dollar.

Wow. Just wow.

Online Zelah Meyer

• England
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2014, 02:50:46 AM »
Currently, Scribd pay full purchase price for a read.  Amazon don't pay full purchase price for a borrow.  I'm surprised that they have auto-enrolled people without telling them the terms for this, unless they're planning to pay the same as they do for a borrow.  Though, how they figure that out if the way of calculating the pot split has changed, I don't know.

I'm up for multiple outlets, so if it were open to non-select authors then I'd sign up.  But since, to be honest, I can't think of subscription services without thinking of musicians being paid cents (or fractions of cents) per play, subscription makes me a little bit twitchy.  So, I'm definitely not going to go exclusive for it!*

I'll be watching this with interest though to see what it does to the market.

*To be honest, I would avoid exclusive like the plague anyway.  To give one company 100% of your business is to give them 100% control over what they decide to pay you!

Offline Frank Tayell

• Writing Must Come First
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2014, 02:52:11 AM »
The Monthly sales widget has changed. It's got a KU/Koll column now.

As a reader, I'm a bit miffed that this is only available in the US.

Frank Tayell | blog | web | twitter

Online AnnChristy

• The sinking east coast.
  • I is a writer.
    • View Profile
    • Ann Christy
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2014, 02:56:17 AM »
It looks like the book I released yesterday is in it as well. Also, WOOL Gathering is on page four of the hits so that might be good for NaNo Young Writers, since that is the charity we're giving the money to!

Be happy! Read more books! Silo 49: Going Dark now FREE everywhere!
Ann Christy | website | facebook | twitter | goodreads

Offline Frank Zubek

• ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2014, 02:57:21 AM »
a few questions...
Is this going to replace Prime?

Or be an additional service? ( I doubt a portion of even the most active readers will want to spring for an additional 9.99-- Netflix got stung a few years ago when they split up the DVD home delivery and the streaming services. Of course, they have since then recovered from that but it was ugly for a bit)

A number of readers still enjoy getting a portion of their books for free and throwing them on their To-Be-Read pile ( a number of them never get around to reading everything ON that pile but they enjoy the fact they were able to get a huge pile of freebies. I doubt they'd spring for 9.99 a month_)

I wonder if was born, developed and approved from the Hachette event?
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 03:00:11 AM by Frank Zubek »

Online Colin

• West Wales, UK.
  • Tough on cliches. Tough on the causes of cliches
    • View Profile
    • The Electronic Book Company
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2014, 02:59:51 AM »
Look like someone doesn't like Scribd

I was thinking the same.
 :)

Offline Scragga

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2014, 02:59:58 AM »
Amazon will need content to make this work, so they'll need to match scribd, at least in the begining. How it changes from there, only time will tell.

One problem I can see is that the pool of cash for select may need to be spread further, which will reduce the $/borrow people get at the moment.

I would say that this means Scribd and oyster were more successful than expected and forced Amazon's hand.

Online MitchHogan

• Sydney, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Mitchell Hogan - Fantasy and Sci-fi author
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2014, 03:14:19 AM »
So peoples books have been auto enrolled and they've no idea what the terms are or how they'll be reimbursed? I'm surprised they have not communicate to authors how this will work.

Mitchell Hogan | Author Website

Online Colin

• West Wales, UK.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2014, 03:18:09 AM »
So peoples books have been auto enrolled and they've no idea what the terms are or how they'll be reimbursed? I'm surprised they have not communicate to authors how this will work.

Exactly.

It would have be nice if they'ed given authors and e-publishers a bit of a warning. I'm going to be extra busy updating guides and I expect a minor deluge of emails from my 100+ authors asking what does Kindle Unlimited mean. It doesn't look very professional to have tell them that I have no idea.. not until Amazon give the heads-up. :o

Oh well....

Online Colin

• West Wales, UK.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2014, 03:24:44 AM »
Just checked on several browsers and the "Kindle Unlimited" link is no longer showing. Maybe they're doing a bit of live testing and they will announce/explain their plans.

Offline ʬ

• serial offender
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2014, 03:38:42 AM »
This is going to be bad.  I hope it fails.

Online Lady Vine

• Eye right books. Eye like two reed. Bye my books.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2014, 03:52:56 AM »
I can't see them paying borrow royalties on these books, so that's even less money going to the author on books over $2.99.

Well, it's not my problem. As long as they keep this exclusive to Select, they can knock themselves out.

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Whovian Christmas
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2014, 04:15:46 AM »

My guess is that part of your publishing agreement addresses their legal permission to include your books in such a program.  If I was an author, I'd go read that right now and if I don't want to be part of this program, I'd find out if there was a way to opt out.

I know a LOT of readers who are going to really really like this!  FWIW, though, I'm not seeing much of anything on the page linked. So it's not a full-fledged program offered to all customers yet.

My guess is it's an expansion of the Kindle Owners Lending Library and that Prime members will get it for a lower monthly subscription price than non-prime folks.

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Gryffindor (HDX7)
A TARDIS (PW2013)
The Doctor (HDX8.9)
MAXX (KApp for Android)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR

• Australia
    • View Profile
    • The Reluctant Geek
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2014, 04:22:46 AM »
It looks like they've pulled the page, but now we know it's coming. Wow. Times, they certainly are a changin', and fast.  :o

Online Quiss

• Canada
  • spits infinitives
    • View Profile
    • Chris Reher Author page
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2014, 04:32:05 AM »
My guess is that part of your publishing agreement addresses their legal permission to include your books in such a program.  If I was an author, I'd go read that right now and if I don't want to be part of this program, I'd find out if there was a way to opt out.

This. If this is an extension of what we signed up with in terms of KOLL, Amazon doesn't have to check with us about anything.
In that case, these unlimited borrows will just share the KOLL monthly pot of cash. So if this program takes off in a big way, each share of that will shrink accordingly. Welcome to the 15-cent royalty.
         NEW:

author website | facebook

• Australia
    • View Profile
    • The Reluctant Geek
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2014, 05:06:18 AM »
But then people will simply not put their books into KULL and the scheme will collapse. They will need to at least offer 35% until Scribd and Oyster die. And if Apple or Google sees a gap, they could start up their own.

I wonder what the big 5 publishers think of this. It must look like madness from their point of view.

Offline Frank Zubek

• ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2014, 05:15:03 AM »
I wonder what the big 5 publishers think of this. It must look like madness from their point of view.

I think the old guard at the paper boy club in New York are scared. And of course that gets passed down to the many authors who have contracts with them.
Fear, unfortunately, has a way of stalling the inevitable. History itself proves that.