KB Featured Book
No Direction Home
by Elizabeth Burns

$0.00
Kindle Edition published 2017-05-20
Bestseller ranking: 81281

Product Description
Hunter Grayson flits from job to job, relationship to relationship, continent to continent until thetragic death of her parents brings her back to her childhood home.While trying to figure out how to move forward, she meets wild, fun Natalya Haven, who quickly becomes the sister she never had. But when Natalya moves in, their friendship unravels.
A second tragedy sends Hunter to a small town in New Mexico, a town out of her own past. For Hunter, that's more than a coincidence, that's fate. Natalya's family will fill the void in her life. Natalya's parents will become her parents. She and Natalya's brother will fall in love. But nothing is ever that simple....

Author Topic: Kindle Unlimited: the scoop threads merged... :)  (Read 139589 times)  

Offline adanlerma

• Austin Texas
  • Samantha Lacroix Thrillers
    • View Profile
    • Felipe Adan Lerma
Re: Kindle Unlimited: the scoop threads merged... :)
« Reply #1075 on: July 31, 2014, 07:20:42 PM »
Yes, Apple buying booklamp was discussed in Writers' Cafe a few days ago, maybe last week. I have a friend who's father-in-law is one of the top people at Apple. This friend asked me last year if I had my books in I-tunes and said, if not I should because his father-in-law said they were making plans to make their books easier to find and download and want to go head to head with Amazon eventually. Guess who wins that battle? :) Apple has way more money.

Caddy, do you have a link to that thread? Thanks!
Thrillers merge with family fiction. | The Samantha (Sam) Lacroix series.
Short story prequel: Dirty Sixth Street, Austin | Short Novel: One Night in the Hill Country
Jack Daniels Kindle Worlds short: An Unforeseen-Conventional Morning
Codename:Chandler Kindle Worlds short: An Unforeseen Afternoon
Queen, the Serial Novel
Felipe Adan Lerma | Blog | YouTube | Facebook | Twitter | Google + | Audible | Amazon Author Page

Offline Davout73

• View Profile
« Reply #1076 on: July 31, 2014, 08:42:21 PM »
Okay. I see your example of home consoles, and I raise you your local cable provider.

Well, theres Always Dish, or U-Verse.  Or failing that, you ditch it and go online, pay maybe $40 a month for Netflix, Hulu, and maybe HBO.

But the I have Google Fiber, and after years of Time Warner I couldn't be happier.

See, I think Amazon could whiff along just fine for a few years while waiting for a substantial competitor to come along. They could afford to sink royalty rates while they did so. It's like the cable oligopolies right now. Sure, they're dinosaurs waiting to die, but you're stuck with them for now, and the rules they set.

But there's options (at least in most locales).

A Better example would be your local power of gas company. 

Dav

Offline WDR

• Massachusetts
  • To boldly split infinitives
    • View Profile
    • Official Website of William D. Richards
« Reply #1077 on: July 31, 2014, 09:01:27 PM »
So, with all the noise about Kindle Unlimited and the Amazon & Hachette war, did anyone notice the nuclear-tipped torpedo that Apple just brought to the fray?

We're all so worried about Kindle Unlimited possibly being Amazon's way of tightening the noose around the independent writers' necks, but maybe something better has just come along. How about a recommendation system that truly encourages book discovery? That's what BookLamp does. It could make the difference for bottom-list writers such as myself who would otherwise have no chance in KOLL or KU.

So, I've taken my opinion and put it out there about Apple's BookLamp acquisition and what I think it means for us. Especially bottom-list writers like me. :)

(Warning: I admit there is a little shameless self-promotion going on in my blog entry, but I think it helps get my point across...)
(And perhaps I was getting a little tired and punchy while I wrote it. Probably not my best work.)
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 09:05:40 PM by WDR »

Less than one
sale per day
William D. Richards | author website | blog | facebook | twitter | goodreads | google+

Offline wtvr

• North Aurora, IL
  • whatev
    • View Profile
« Reply #1078 on: July 31, 2014, 09:16:19 PM »
Great post! Glad to see somebody has some enthusiasm about the market in general, not just hoisting a banner!

Offline Mark E. Cooper

• Essex, England
    • View Profile
    • Impulse Books UK
« Reply #1079 on: July 31, 2014, 09:21:42 PM »
Its August here in merry ol' England. Results for the month are... 4 borrows in KU... wah, wah, wah... Silence. One clap. Mumbling amongst the audience, some laughter... Heckling now "Get off! Boo!"

Offline Caddy

• Novels For Adults Who Color Outside the Lines
    • View Profile
    • Caddy Rowland: Slice of Life
« Reply #1080 on: July 31, 2014, 10:07:30 PM »

I'm sorry, I don't. I typed in booklamp and it didn't come up. I guess you could look through the last several pages. It was within the last week. Sorry I'm not more help.
ALSO WRITING HOT GAY M/M ROMANCE UNDER SIBLEY JACKSON

The Gastien Series: Sometimes the "impossible" is possiblebut the cost can be extremely high. | There Was a House:They better be damn good. There will only be one chance. | The Avengement Series: Karma really can be a b*tchespecially when it scores a willing partner.

Offline Saul Tanpepper

• Morgan Hill, CA
  • 6 Gamers : 10,000 Undead
    • View Profile
    • tanpepperwrites
« Reply #1081 on: August 01, 2014, 10:01:07 AM »
Spec-Fic for All Ages    *  AMAZON  *  GooglePlay  *  iTunes  *  Kobo  *  B&N  *  Smashwords  *  Facebook  *  Website  *  Tweets  * 

FREE>

Offline adanlerma

• Austin Texas
    • View Profile
    • Felipe Adan Lerma
« Reply #1082 on: August 01, 2014, 10:27:25 AM »
So, with all the noise about Kindle Unlimited and the Amazon & Hachette war, did anyone notice the nuclear-tipped torpedo that Apple just brought to the fray?

We're all so worried about Kindle Unlimited possibly being Amazon's way of tightening the noose around the independent writers' necks, but maybe something better has just come along. How about a recommendation system that truly encourages book discovery? That's what BookLamp does. It could make the difference for bottom-list writers such as myself who would otherwise have no chance in KOLL or KU...

Thanks WDR, have bookmarked your linked post, looks interesting.

Like "could make the difference for bottom-list writers" -

That's me too, ha! (smiles)
Short story prequel: Dirty Sixth Street, Austin | Short Novel: One Night in the Hill Country
Queen, the Serial Novel
Felipe Adan Lerma | Blog | YouTube | Facebook | Twitter | Google + | Audible | Amazon Author Page

Offline adanlerma

• Austin Texas
    • View Profile
    • Felipe Adan Lerma
« Reply #1083 on: August 01, 2014, 10:30:46 AM »
It's here:

http://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,190651.0.html

Saul, Caddy, thank you for the responses - have bookmarked the thread, will try and catch up the posts later today.

I'm way behind usual stuff today, went to a SilverSneakers seniors' exercise class today with my wife, then grocery shopping - how'd the exercise make me feel? Well, I bought an oversize bagel and a huge cheese roll and already eaten the latter (lunch is still coming)  :)

ps - should add, this is for a link to a thread about Apple improving their ebook business
« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 10:56:03 AM by adanlerma »
Queen, the Serial Novel

Offline Nell Gavin

• Tulsa, OK
  • Threads: The Reincarnation of Anne Boleyn
    • View Profile
    • Nell Gavin
« Reply #1084 on: August 14, 2014, 03:48:44 PM »
There are millions of posts about Kindle Unlimited, and I just have one question without any idea of what keywords to put in to search for the information.

I noticed a KU sale(-ish) that appeared DAYS after the sale(-ish) date. In fact, I'd gotten others for later dates before this one displayed. Do these things not appear in KDP until after the reader reads past a certain number of chapters? And then display as of the download date?

Nell Gavin

Offline CraigInOregon

• Oregon
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Craig-Hasen.com
« Reply #1085 on: August 14, 2014, 04:20:54 PM »
Just wanted to point out that, in my emailbox today, Amazon announced that they were increasing the KU/KOLL pot for August from $2M to $2.5M, due to "high demand."

Translation?

Last month's pot resulted, apparently, in a payout of around $1.81 per borrow. I'm expecting this is intended to make sure it goes no lower than that, and probably they are hoping to nudge it back up over $2.00.

« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 04:27:20 PM by Betsy the Quilter »
I believe the road to hell is paved with adverbs, and I will shout it from the rooftops. -Stephen King

Offline CraigInOregon

• Oregon
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Craig-Hasen.com
« Reply #1086 on: August 14, 2014, 04:24:49 PM »
There are millions of posts about Kindle Unlimited, and I just have one question without any idea of what keywords to put in to search for the information.

I noticed a KU sale(-ish) that appeared DAYS after the sale(-ish) date. In fact, I'd gotten others for later dates before this one displayed. Do these things not appear in KDP until after the reader reads past a certain number of chapters? And then display as of the download date?

Nell,

My best guess... and it's only a guess... is this:

In KU, you can "borrow" a book at any time. That generates the date it was borrowed.

But in KU, you're not given a borrow credit/payout until the reader reaches 10 percent complete in their reading progress of the manuscript.

So it's a different dynamic. Conceivable, a KU subscriber could officially download your book today, August 14, on their Kindle. But if they don't open it and start reading until September 11, and they don't hit 10 percent complete until September 12, then you won't get the KU "borrow" share until September 12.

Also, if a reader "borrows" a book in KU but never reads it and decides to delete it a few weeks later, you get nothing for that at all. They never reached 10 percent complete, so it's not considered a "sale."

But at least with KU, there are no "returns" per se. No one will be buying your short story, reading it quickly, then returning it and demanding a refund because they "bought it by mistake." ;) If they read at least 10 percent of it, you get paid.

That's my educated guess.

I could be wrong.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 04:28:00 PM by CraigInOregon »
I believe the road to hell is paved with adverbs, and I will shout it from the rooftops. -Stephen King

Offline Herc- The Reluctant Geek

• Australia
    • View Profile
    • The Reluctant Geek
« Reply #1087 on: August 14, 2014, 04:28:02 PM »
It also seems that the initial download affects the book's ranking,so it can be confusing.

I had several books jump ranking early on in the program, but they didn't appear in my reports until a week or so later.

Edit: Corrections needed because it's early here and I haven't had any caffeine yet...

Offline lostones

• View Profile
« Reply #1088 on: September 07, 2014, 06:56:04 PM »
As long as i get my 75% I don't care lol But it better not be 75% of 5 cents ;)

Offline lostones

• View Profile
« Reply #1089 on: September 07, 2014, 06:59:46 PM »
I still don't get this.

1. Are you AUTOMATICALLY in the KU program by having your books on KDP? or do they need to be in select?
2. What percentage of sales do you get from the KU program? i.e if you are selling a book at $2.99 how much do you get?
3. What is the census? Yay or Nay?

Offline Sapphire

• Omaha NE
    • View Profile
« Reply #1090 on: September 07, 2014, 07:38:10 PM »
I still don't get this.

1. Are you AUTOMATICALLY in the KU program by having your books on KDP? or do they need to be in select?
2. What percentage of sales do you get from the KU program? i.e if you are selling a book at $2.99 how much do you get?
3. What is the census? Yay or Nay?
1- You are automatically in the KU program ONLY IF YOU ARE IN SELECT.
2- Everyone receives the same amount from a KU borrow REGARDLESS of the price of the book. The amount comes from a pool established by Amazon which is divided among all borrows. The amount is UNKNOWN until the middle of the following month. (History has shown this amount to be close to $2 but that history may or may not repeat itself.)
3- There is no consensus. Some writers love the program and dive in. Some hate it and run in the other direction. Some split their risk by putting some of their work in and keeping the rest out in order to go for wide distribution.

Offline Harmonious

• London
    • View Profile
    • Blackbird Digital Books
Re: Kindle Unlimited: the scoop threads merged... CAN'T OPT OUT!!
« Reply #1091 on: December 07, 2014, 02:42:03 AM »
Yikes. Is this new? So the only way of opting out is to go for the 35% royalty?

Can I opt my title out of Kindle Book Lending? . Titles in the 70% royalty option must participate in Kindle Book Lending and may not opt out.

https://kdp.amazon.com/help?topicId=A2JGI9S4FDM39Q

Online Perry Constantine

• San Diego
  • Action Fiction Author
    • View Profile
    • Percival Constantine - Action Fiction Author
Re: Kindle Unlimited: the scoop threads merged... CAN'T OPT OUT!!
« Reply #1092 on: December 07, 2014, 03:15:13 AM »
Yikes. Is this new? So the only way of opting out is to go for the 35% royalty?

Can I opt my title out of Kindle Book Lending? . Titles in the 70% royalty option must participate in Kindle Book Lending and may not opt out.

https://kdp.amazon.com/help?topicId=A2JGI9S4FDM39Q

This is something different from KU. Book lending just means that if you buy a Kindle book, you can let someone else borrow it for a maximum of fourteen days.

Offline Harmonious

• London
    • View Profile
    • Blackbird Digital Books
« Reply #1093 on: December 07, 2014, 04:31:55 AM »
Ah phew, OK, thanks...