Need a new Case? Save $30 with code SPARKLE30 + Free Shipping at Case-Mate.com! Offer ends 12/15.

Author Topic: Kindle Unlimited: the scoop threads merged... :)  (Read 144023 times)  

Offline Michael Kingswood

• San Diego
    • View Profile
    • Michael Kingswood's Writing Blog
Re: Kindle Unlimited?? Anyone have the scoop?
« Reply #175 on: July 16, 2014, 03:20:23 PM »
Author's pay Bookbub to get on the mailing list. We don't have that opportunity with Amazon...yet. I would pay big bucks to goose the Amazon database to put my books under the nose of "also bought" readers.

But not just any author can get in Bookbub, and not whenever they want it.  They are choosey, just as Amazon is.  But Amazon doesn't charge us to be choosey.  So...

Yeah, not seeing the difference really.
Pericles: Glimmer Vale: Others:

Michael Kingswood | Blog | Twitter | Facebook | Google+

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: July 16, 2014, 03:21:29 PM »
That's it... AMAZON picks. You can't buy an ad. Bookbub is selective, but at least approachable.

Either way someone else is picking. 

*shrug*

Try sending Amazon some emails requesting more exposure.  Could work.  Maybe not.  But they don't charge us money for it, so...  ;)

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: July 16, 2014, 03:22:35 PM »
I'm seeing opinions ranging from "This is the indie apocalypse!" to "We survived the Lending Library, we'll survive this." I say let's wait and see. We still don't know much.

Word.

Wild speculation, wailing, rending of garments, and gnashing of teeth is premature.

Offline BillKosl

• View Profile
« Reply #178 on: July 16, 2014, 03:24:00 PM »
Living here in Omaha, I just had to get my hands on "Business Adventures" recommended by Old Man Buffet and the Gates boy. I saw the promo on my new Kindle late last night and started my 30-day free trial and downloaded said book. Got the confirmatory email with the wonderful surprise that I would be getting a complimentary 3-month Audible subscription.

Contacted Mayday, where the rep and the supervisor said that I was referring to unlimited free time for children. Went to the Twitter and @KindleHelp finally told me that the "test" was kaput. I still have the free book.

Offline wtvr

• North Aurora, IL
  • whatev
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: July 16, 2014, 03:25:41 PM »
I'm seeing opinions ranging from "This is the indie apocalypse!" to "We survived the Lending Library, we'll survive this." I say let's wait and see. We still don't know much.

How about: We are cannon fodder. Let's get this party started!  :D

Offline Karen_McQ

• Hartland, WI
    • View Profile
    • Karen McQuestion
« Reply #180 on: July 16, 2014, 03:29:11 PM »
My apologies if someone already posted this, but now there's a Youtube video for Kindle Unlimited: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnVNbYdo2FU

Karen McQuestion

Offline BillKosl

• View Profile
« Reply #181 on: July 16, 2014, 03:43:11 PM »

Offline Nicole Ciacchella

• Michigan
  • Mmm, coffee...
    • View Profile
    • Words Escape Me
« Reply #182 on: July 16, 2014, 03:44:14 PM »
I'm still not sure how to feel about this. I need them to define what they mean by "royalty". Are we talking the same royalty I get when I sell a copy of my book, or are we talking a sliding scale depending on how much money they put into the fund? Like Hugh, just thinking about subscription services makes me feel kind of anxious.

I doubt this slip was accidental as I'm sure they're trying to create buzz. I just wish they would have let us authors in on it first.

From a reader standpoint, though, I'd be all over this. I typically read 100+ books a year and I'd definitely try out a wide variety of books that I might not otherwise read. That could be good for authors, as long as the royalties are fair. I'm a Prime member and usually use my KOLL borrow, but given how much I read, getting one book a month has a negligible effect for me.

Add me to the list of people who'd love to see Amazon offer authors more marketing options. I've paid for ads on a variety of sites and would definitely be interested in marketing through Amazon. I love that they send e-mails to me with suggestions and would love to see them carry this sort of thing further.

Offline wtvr

• North Aurora, IL
  • whatev
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: July 16, 2014, 03:51:30 PM »
Does anyone know what that 600,000 number represents? I'm sure it's a threat to scribd and oyster, but what portion of Select does it represent? And if there are more than that in Select - a million? Why didn't it say a million?

Offline adanlerma

• Austin Texas
  • Samantha Lacroix Thrillers
    • View Profile
    • Felipe Adan Lerma
« Reply #184 on: July 16, 2014, 03:53:08 PM »
I'd definitely try out a wide variety of books that I might not otherwise read...

That's the big plus for me as a reader and a writer. Experienced it via Netflix (as a viewer) and have found it explosive for me as a reader on both Scribd and Oyster.
Thrillers merge with family fiction. | The Samantha (Sam) Lacroix series.
Short story prequel: Dirty Sixth Street, Austin | Short Novel: One Night in the Hill Country
Jack Daniels Kindle Worlds short: An Unforeseen-Conventional Morning
Codename:Chandler Kindle Worlds short: An Unforeseen Afternoon
Queen, the Serial Novel
Felipe Adan Lerma | Blog | YouTube | Facebook | Twitter | Google + | Audible | Amazon Author Page

Offline Bob Stewart

• View Profile
    • Street Car Mysteries
« Reply #185 on: July 16, 2014, 04:02:33 PM »
I have no idea how this will settle out, or who it will be advantageous for, etc., but I really don't think it's worth getting worked up about. What the lay of the land will be in 2016, or 2015, is anyone's guess. And trying to predict how books will be sold in 2020 would most definitely be a mug's game, for us and for Bezos.

Offline adanlerma

• Austin Texas
  • Samantha Lacroix Thrillers
    • View Profile
    • Felipe Adan Lerma
« Reply #186 on: July 16, 2014, 04:05:39 PM »
"Could Penguin Beat Amazon at Book Subscriptions?" http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2014-07-16/could-penguin-beat-amazon-at-book-subscriptions

Interesting article, whole other element I didn't even know about.

Anyone any idea what titles they control that might be a big draw?
Thrillers merge with family fiction. | The Samantha (Sam) Lacroix series.
Short story prequel: Dirty Sixth Street, Austin | Short Novel: One Night in the Hill Country
Jack Daniels Kindle Worlds short: An Unforeseen-Conventional Morning
Codename:Chandler Kindle Worlds short: An Unforeseen Afternoon
Queen, the Serial Novel
Felipe Adan Lerma | Blog | YouTube | Facebook | Twitter | Google + | Audible | Amazon Author Page

Offline dmac

• View Profile
« Reply #187 on: July 16, 2014, 04:10:53 PM »
While we are speculating about anything and everything, it pays to keep in mind that Amazon is about expanding their footprint. If there is no incentive for authors to sign up, then authors will not sign up.

See: Select. (I know many have issues with it, but it is still a very viable way to introduce a new author to a mass audience in a very short time. I am proof of that, and so are many others.)

There must be some incentive to pull authors away from Scribd and other channels with a similar distribution model. Anything that authors see as losing them money will not cause them to sign up. I am sure Amazon is fully aware of this and it will reflect in their incentives.

Offline Herc- The Reluctant Geek

• Australia
    • View Profile
    • The Reluctant Geek
« Reply #188 on: July 16, 2014, 04:17:23 PM »
We operate in a very fluid environment. Big changes can happen fast. The best that we can do is keep writing and getting good quality material out there. Everything else is, as they say here in Oz, urinating into the wind...

Offline MJWare

• View Profile
    • MJ Ware - Stories for Kids
« Reply #189 on: July 16, 2014, 04:19:18 PM »
Did you see that you got KBoards mentioned on Engadget?! :D
And TIME. :)

Dear Amazon,

Let me publicly apologize for inadvertently spoiling--please don't ban my account--the announcement of your exciting, and wonderful new program, Amazon Unlimited. Which I am positive will be wildly successful--please don't ban my account--for both readers and writers.

As a show of my sincerity--please don't ban my account--I would like to offer my first-born son to work in one of your huge, but employee friendly warehouses, where I am sure he will have the opportunity to learn valuable job skills.

In close, I hope you accept my sincere regret for letting the cat out of the bag--please don't ban my account--and that you don't harbor any ill feelings toward me.

You sincere and humble servant,
MJ Ware
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 04:40:43 PM by MJAWare »

Offline wtvr

• North Aurora, IL
  • whatev
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: July 16, 2014, 04:23:30 PM »
Sorry, too late. Drones on their way.

Offline GP Hudson

• View Profile
« Reply #191 on: July 16, 2014, 04:27:15 PM »
The way Amazon made their free promo less effective suddenly makes more sense.

Online Scott Reeves

• View Profile
    • Blog
« Reply #192 on: July 16, 2014, 04:37:20 PM »
Speaking as a reader, here is why I think this is a good thing. I browse the kindle store daily, or every few days, and constantly download samples of books I might be even slightly interested in reading. The only problem is, I rarely actually read those samples, because I don't want to begin sampling the book until I can actually BUY the book if I like it. I don't want to read a bit and then have to stop until I can buy the book. I'm on a limited book budget, and if there are books higher up on my "want to read" list, then the lower books are going to miss out until they work their way upwards. Thus, every day there are samples accumulating in my kindle app that I will probably never get around to reading OR buying.

Kindle Unlimited will change that. If I have unlimited access to any book, the "wait until I can afford it" barrier is removed. I'll start reading those samples, and if I pass the 10% mark, the author gets a payment. It's like being in a humongous library. I check out books in the library that I would never even consider paying for in a bookstore. And I actually read them. Just like on Netflix. I watch movies and TV shows on Netflix that I would never have watched if I had to pay for them individually.

So when the writer side of me looks at how the reader side of me views Kindle Unlimited, he thinks it's a good thing for writers.

Scott Reeves

Offline Ava Glass

• View Profile
« Reply #193 on: July 16, 2014, 04:52:16 PM »
Scribd's sub service apparently doesn't include erotica and very short works due to the payout system. Does Kindle Unlimited have similar restrictions?
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 04:53:50 PM by Ava Glass »

Offline MaryMcDonald

• View Profile
    • M.P. McDonald
« Reply #194 on: July 16, 2014, 04:53:13 PM »
I wonder if this is why royalties from ACX were cut? I'm not really sure how it fits into the mix and it may be unrelated--just something that crossed my mind. I wonder how they will pay for audiobooks listened to in KU? I mean, two dollars split between author and narrator isn't that great, but maybe there will be a big increase in listens? And how are they choosing audiobooks to include in the library? Do the ebooks have to be in Select? Do they have to have whispersync? Two of mine have whispersync, two don't--but they are all part of a series, so that could stink for listeners.

The Mark Taylor Series-Intense thrillers | CJ Sheridan Thrillers
M.P. McDonald | M.P. McDonald | Facebook | Amazon Author Page

Offline WDR

• Massachusetts
  • To boldly split infinitives
    • View Profile
    • Official Website of William D. Richards
« Reply #195 on: July 16, 2014, 04:56:06 PM »
If someone is going to buy your book, they are only ever going to buy it once.

So, if I am going to get paid the same proceed share from a regular sale when someone reads 10% of my book via the Kindle Unlimited, then I can be happy with that. In fact, I would encourage such a program. (But if I am paid a lesser share of the sales proceeds, then I'd be upset, because the program just cost me a portion of my income.)

That reader can then read my book as many times as desired, because in my mind (and bank account) it is the same as if they purchased my book.

Aggadeh Chronicles Book 3: Oracle: 11%
William D. Richards | Official Website | A Writer's Chronicles | Patreon

Offline Perry Constantine

• Japan
  • Action Fiction Author
    • View Profile
    • Percival Constantine - Action Fiction Author
« Reply #196 on: July 16, 2014, 05:05:54 PM »
Here's the thing though. In a few years, you're not going to have a choice. Subscription services are essentially money for nothing continually while actual ownership is a one time transaction. Businesses have vanishingly little reason to actually let you keep stuff anymore.

Agreed. Even when you buy a digital product, you aren't buying the product, you're buying a license. A license they can screw with any time they like. In the long run, this kind of thing is bad for consumers, bad for content creators, and only good for the guys at the top of the food chain. I've said before there will probably come a time when Amazon starts undercutting indie writers to maximize their own profits. I fear this is the beginning of that.

An unlimited subscription service and the same royalty rate won't be sustainable. The rate will drop.

Offline wtvr

• North Aurora, IL
  • whatev
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: July 16, 2014, 05:11:17 PM »
An unlimited subscription service and the same royalty rate won't be sustainable. The rate will drop.

Of course it will drop. There will probably be a decent start point to gain traction, and then it will inexorably slide toward exactly what you're afraid it will be.

Don't let that stop you from getting in on the boom, though. And when you strike Texas Tea, do a little jig alla way to the bank.

Offline Colin

• UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: July 16, 2014, 05:21:22 PM »
In the style of Ali G: Dis 'as caused massive speculation across da nation.

Good night fellow speculators.   :)

Offline Hugh Howey

• Jupiter, FL
    • View Profile
    • Hugh Howey
« Reply #199 on: July 16, 2014, 05:22:11 PM »
Here's something I would like to see added to any subscription service: Complete transparency to the reader on how much they just contributed to the author, with a "Tip" button at the purchase point and also upon completion of the book. No pressure, just the ability to support writers after each read.

I'd use that button, as a reader.

Hugh Howey | author website | facebook | twitter | goodreads

Buy Scrivener for Windows or Mac