Need Perfect Gift? Shop Amazon Gift Cards. Any Occasion.
KB Featured
Flight of the Tarantula Hawk
by Michael Allan Scott

$0.99
Kindle Edition published 2014-02-10
Bestseller ranking: 4698

Product Description
On the IndieReader Best Book list and featured on NBC's Daytime Show, the second book in the Lance Underphal Mystery series is part of a new breed of supernatural thrillers which can be read and enjoyed in any order. Dark, different, featuring a damaged psychic, this is one of those disturbing novels that keeps you guessing.

Download the sample or use the "Look inside" feature for a FREE E-book offer.

Supernatural Murder Mystery - Realtor Carla Simon has her first showing in nearly eighteen months. Recovering from a nervous breakdown, she arrives at the bank-owned foreclosure well ahead of her prospect. When her buyer pins her against the wall, it turns out to be the last house she'll ever show.

Looking for a new breed of supernatural thrillers? Paranormal mysteries of murder and suspense? Perhaps a psychic detective series which can be read and enjoyed in any order? Or maybe one of t...

Author Topic: Kindle Unlimited: the scoop threads merged... :)  (Read 144050 times)  

Offline PamelaKelley

• MA
    • View Profile
Re: Kindle Unlimited?? Anyone have the scoop?
« Reply #50 on: July 16, 2014, 07:40:55 AM »
I am a very happy Scribd subscriber. I looked at the cached links Julie posted and to be honest, it isn't in any way a danger to Scribd if that is what will be in KU. Content is king and no offence, I wouldn't pay $9.99 a month for pretty much only self published titles and then the amazon imprints. That's is what is in the KOLL right now. I am working my way through the Amazon Montlake titles each month with my Prime.

On Scribd I get HarperCollins, Kensington, Simon and Schuster, Sourcebooks, Open Road Media, Diversion Books, DreamSpinner, etc. In addition to many self published titles through Smashwords and D2D.

I browsed through the selection on that link and I could barely find stuff I either didn't already own free, or already have read through my KOLL. I would have to read 4-6 book a month on the service to make it a good deal. I have no lack of selection on Scribd.

But I'll keep my eye open and if they can get some big publishers it would be a competition. But considering how the relationship between Amazon and some publishers is, that is highly unlikely.

But overall I have seen a huge interest of readers in these services.

Atunah,

As a reader and user of Scribd, do you find that you are now spending less money actually buying ebooks? Or are you just reading more? I'm curious how services like scribed will affect buying habits.

Online Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 16, 2014, 07:46:16 AM »
Wouldn't unlimited audio books tept you?
I am not a audiobook user much, just a handful so far and the same thing applies there, content. I browsed through but didn't really see much in the genres I read. Its a small selection of the KU selection basically.

I am not trying to denigrate self publishers or anything, but if they want to get a lot of reader to sign up, they need the big names. How many times to people complain about Netflix when they don't have a lot of new big studio movies on the service. $10 a month is a nice chunk to ask for and people want some selection for that. And if I can get that from other services, Scribd and maybe Oyster than they will go there. Only advantage I can see is being able to use an e-ink device to read the titles.

Member since 11/20/2008 | Atunah's Romance Haus | Goodreads |
It has always been forever, for me, Sassenach -- Diana Gabaldon, Outlander

Online Colin

• UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 16, 2014, 07:46:55 AM »
Speed readers will do well out of Scribd. Scribd will make their profits from those who don't read so fast. Or adjust the subscription/reduce the royalty if they get too many wild word munchers!

:)

Offline Wansit

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 16, 2014, 07:48:24 AM »
Looks like everything already in Whispersync automatically goes to Unlimited

Offline VydorScope

• USA
  • "Perseverance over skill, every time"-- V. Trigili
    • View Profile
    • My Novels
« Reply #54 on: July 16, 2014, 07:49:37 AM »
As reader - I would be tempted by this. I pay Netflix for the same kind of service already.

If this is Select only, than I am locked out at this stage in my career. I really hope it is not select only.
Vincent 
"INDESCRIBABLY ALLURING" -- S.M. Reine
My Author Website | Pinterest | Facebook | Twitter | My Deviant Art Gallery

Offline Mark E. Cooper

• Essex, England
    • View Profile
    • Impulse Books UK
« Reply #55 on: July 16, 2014, 07:50:42 AM »
Looks like everything already in Whispersync automatically goes to Unlimited

If WS is how they get audio into KU then I'm OK as i fixed mine already, but we will have to see.

Offline bonbon foofoo

• I make stuff up.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 16, 2014, 07:52:21 AM »
I like the idea, personally. If they come close to the sales royalty rate and increase the fund, I'd be very tempted to put my newest titles in there. Let's face it, it's Amazon. Most people are buying there already. Purchases upload directly to their Kindles. We have no idea what books they will be able to get into the program. And many speed readers read a lot of self published titles already. I'd like to try it if the terms are right.

Online Usedtoposthere

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 16, 2014, 07:53:49 AM »
Guess now we know why all those big-name indies' books are suddenly available to borrow via Prime. (Remember that flap, couple weeks ago?) Sounds to me like they're rolling out this program, and that we'll be hearing something very soon. Probably no coincidence that it coincides with the release of the new Kindle Fire phone, too. Amazon is clearly trying another big move.

All my books are currently in Select, so I'll just wait for the announcement and see what the terms are, give it a month or so to see what happens, and then decide what to do. The soonest I could switch to wide distribution is end of August anyway. Plenty of time to see the early results and judge for myself, since I can't imagine the announcement/full roll-out of the program is far away.

I've had people borrow a book and then go back to buy it, by the way. Or, of course, borrow one at a time, or borrow one and buy the rest. Borrowing is like permafree--lets somebody try you out. But unlike permafree, people can use it on any book (that's in Select). If you have series books that can stand alone, that can be a very useful feature. My borrows are pretty spread out amongst my books.

I've been getting borrows at about 15% of total units sold for quite a while now. I'll be interested to see if the new program is in addition to that, replaces that (if the KOLL will go away entirely now), if it's revenue-neutral for me or revenue-enhancing. Easy enough to see, with the sales/borrows data we have in the reports.

My totally uneducated guess is that the KOLL won't go away, that this will be an additional deal that people can add on. Amazon clearly wants to grow the audiobook market, too, and that makes a lot of sense as a subscription service. How many books do you listen to over and over? And yet an Audible subscription is expensive. I know I only have a handful I listen to multiple times.

Online Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 16, 2014, 07:55:50 AM »
Atunah,

As a reader and user of Scribd, do you find that you are now spending less money actually buying ebooks? Or are you just reading more? I'm curious how services like scribed will affect buying habits.
I actually dropped one of my out of state paid library card in favor of Scribd. Its more of a shifting of reading. Plus Scribd got Simon and Schuster titles that the libraries never had so I was ecstatic when they got them on board.

So its more the library loans that got shifted to Scribd and I finally get to read some titles I have put on hold because of price, namely S&S titles. I curbed some of my buying this year, but not because of Scribd, more to catch up with what I already own.  :P

And just so it doesn't seem like I won't read any SP titles, I now have access to titles that are in the KOLL on Amazon and I have read some that are on Scribd because they aren't in the KOLL program. Like Kristen Ashley titles for example.

I look at who would use such a service. Would be voracious readers I guess. Scribd has done one thing totally right, the are going straight for voracious readers especially romance readers. Its a romance reader heaven really.  ;D

I still buy books, although a bit less. But not because of Scribd like I said. So for me, its just a shifting away from one thing and towards another. If I find an author or books I like on any place, be it KOLL, library or Scribd and I want the newest of that author, I still buy it.

Member since 11/20/2008 | Atunah's Romance Haus | Goodreads |
It has always been forever, for me, Sassenach -- Diana Gabaldon, Outlander

Offline JuliMonroe

• Springfield, VA
    • View Profile
    • KindleBoard Book Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 16, 2014, 07:56:04 AM »
Atunah,

I'm not Atunah (obviously), but I am a user of Scribd, and yes, the amount of money I spend on ebooks is less. One interesting "side effect" is that I'm now more publisher conscious. When I see a book I'm interested in, I now check the publisher. If it's HC, S&S, Kensington or Open Road, I immediately go check Scribd to see if it's available. If it is, I add it to my reading list and don't buy it. I also don't check out books from the library from those publishers either. Since HC distributes expiring books to libraries, my fellow patrons probably appreciate that. :)

There's enough in Scribd to keep me reading the rest of my life. The only reason I don't go all-in with them is because I can't read their books on my Kindle Paperwhite. If I could, my book buying would go down to only those few "must-read" authors who are with other publishers.

Mind you, if I did go all-in with them, I might single-handedly put them out of business. I'm also a journalist, and I've interviewed/talked to the folks from Scribd several times. In the last phone conversation, they asked how many books I had read in Scribd this year. When I told them, there was a VERY long pause. I swear I could hear "bad trombone" in the background.

Edited to clarify that I can't read Scribd books on a Paperwhite.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 08:26:26 AM by JuliMonroe »

Juli Monroe | Blog | Twitter

Offline Bards and Sages (Julie)

• New Jersey
  • Her Royal Sithiness
    • View Profile
    • Bards and Sages Publishing
« Reply #60 on: July 16, 2014, 07:56:09 AM »
I find it funny that when Smashwords auto opts in people for a new distribution channel, there was a mass freak out, despite the fact that you could go unclick the box and opt out of any channel at any time. Amazon auto opts in people, and offers no way to opt out, and there is barely a blink.

But yeah, I'm pretty sure audiobook people are going to get screwed, unless they are going to add audiobook people to KOLL, which I don't forsee happening due to the way the ACX deals are structured.

In fact, this would sort of be shooting Audible in the face, isn't it? Audible is $14.95 a month and you only get ONE free audiobook. This is $9.99 and you get unlimited content? Most customers aren't going to make a differentiation between "owning" the audiobook through Audible and "borrowing" it through Unlimited, since in general people don't listen to audiobooks over and over and over.

Writer, Publisher, Game Designer, Resident Sith
Julie Ann Dawson | Blog | Website | Facebook | Twitter | Goodreads | eFesitival of Words

• New Jersey
  • Her Royal Sithiness
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 16, 2014, 07:57:59 AM »
There's enough in Scribd to keep me reading the rest of my life. The only reason I don't go all-in with them is because I can't read their books on my Kindle.

Scribd has a Kindle app.

Julie Ann Dawson | Blog | Website | Facebook | Twitter | Goodreads | eFesitival of Words

Offline Jim Johnson

• Alexandria, VA
  • Storyteller and Cat Minion
    • View Profile
    • Ineti Press
« Reply #62 on: July 16, 2014, 08:00:46 AM »
KOLL is a 'free' service that comes with a Prime membership, right? I wonder if KU would be an additional $9.99 a month as part of Prime, or if Prime/KOLL and KU are separate services.

As an Amazon customer, I haven't gone with Prime yet, so I don't have access to the KOLL. If I could get KU without Prime, I'd be all over it, IF the terms are favorable to authors.

One KOLL borrow a month is too limited for my rate of reading, but $9.99 a month for unlimited reading is great, especially if I'm able to share that subscription with my fiancee (presumably using the same device?).

Offline Avis Black

• View Profile
    • Avis Black on Wordpress
« Reply #63 on: July 16, 2014, 08:04:49 AM »
I tried KOLL to get borrows for my MM Romance titles, and discovered that demographic of reader does not join Prime.  MM Romance is more the 'broke student' demographic, and they simply don't buy the tons of stuff from Amazon that would make free shipping attractive.  But 'broke student' happens to be Scribd's natural demographic.  What's more, if Amazon keeps the royalty at 2 dollars, it's not worth my while to join the new service.  Scribd and Oyster both pay a lot more.

I think Russell Blake complained a while back he finally concluded that KOLL cannibalized his regular sales, and he got tired of the lower pay from readers who would have just bought the book outright and paid him a better rate.

Offline Jash

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 16, 2014, 08:05:39 AM »
I actually dropped one of my out of state paid library card in favor of Scribd. Its more of a shifting of reading. Plus Scribd got Simon and Schuster titles that the libraries never had so I was ecstatic when they got them on board.

Simon and Schuster, also known as the company that the trades are reporting that Amazon is in negotiations with at the moment. Gee, I wonder what they're about :D From a purely financial standpoint Amazon can obviously match Scribd (and Oyster) in terms of what they're willing to pay to get people on board. This would obviously be a big score for them. I think the main thing this service would have going for it above and beyod Scribd is that they'll be able to integrate it into Kindle interface which will give them exposure to a hell of a lot of readers that have never heard of Scribd.

Offline Jash

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 16, 2014, 08:13:33 AM »
I find it funny that when Smashwords auto opts in people for a new distribution channel, there was a mass freak out, despite the fact that you could go unclick the box and opt out of any channel at any time. Amazon auto opts in people, and offers no way to opt out, and there is barely a blink.

This might have something to do with the fact that the news is literally hours old, nothing has been confirmed yet.

Offline JuliMonroe

• Springfield, VA
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 16, 2014, 08:23:33 AM »
Scribd has a Kindle app.

Sorry, I should have specified. I can't read Scribd books on my Kindle Paperwhite.

Offline ChelseaAuthorPromotions

• View Profile
    • Info on my Services :)
« Reply #67 on: July 16, 2014, 08:28:43 AM »
Sorry, I should have specified. I can't read Scribd books on my Kindle Paperwhite.
Yeah I was just reading on their site...If you have a Kindle Fire you are good but regular e-ink readers are a no go...which is too bad...when I'm being voracious with my reading I prefer my regular Kindle 3rd generation over the computer like screen of my Kindle Fire.

My totally uneducated guess is that the KOLL won't go away, that this will be an additional deal that people can add on. Amazon clearly wants to grow the audiobook market, too, and that makes a lot of sense as a subscription service. How many books do you listen to over and over? And yet an Audible subscription is expensive. I know I only have a handful I listen to multiple times.

I agree with this. I have tons of audible books but there are only about 4-6 authors books that I currently listen to over and over. I'd certainly appreciate being able to opt in or out and listen to unlimited. I have netflix too but honestly neither my kid nor I have watched anything on there in months but I still keep my subscription because somehow my disabled neighbor has access to it and I don't want him to lose out. I had to cancel my audible because 2 audio books for $22.95 a month just isn't affordable to me and since audio books are my poison lately its not worth it. I just re-listen to the ones I own/love for now.

KOLL is a 'free' service that comes with a Prime membership, right? I wonder if KU would be an additional $9.99 a month as part of Prime, or if Prime/KOLL and KU are separate services.

As an Amazon customer, I haven't gone with Prime yet, so I don't have access to the KOLL. If I could get KU without Prime, I'd be all over it, IF the terms are favorable to authors.

One KOLL borrow a month is too limited for my rate of reading, but $9.99 a month for unlimited reading is great, especially if I'm able to share that subscription with my fiancee (presumably using the same device?).

Not sure, I'm on a Student Prime but if you tell me where to go I can take a peek. I know that my mom recently signed up for Prime and she's paying full price but she's able to do 5 memberships for the Free Shipping, though I have no clue if that covers Amazon's new music feature, Kindle Library etc. I asked but she didn't know. I did notice on my own discounted student membership that I didn't have the option to "add" anyone. I wouldn't mind canceling mine and signing up with hers if I could get the music/movies still. Though the movies is unfortunate as Amazon Prime on my television I can't filter out "free" only and its difficult to find only free movies/shows unlike Netflix where everything is free.

But yeah, I'm pretty sure audiobook people are going to get screwed, unless they are going to add audiobook people to KOLL, which I don't forsee happening due to the way the ACX deals are structured.

In fact, this would sort of be shooting Audible in the face, isn't it? Audible is $14.95 a month and you only get ONE free audiobook. This is $9.99 and you get unlimited content? Most customers aren't going to make a differentiation between "owning" the audiobook through Audible and "borrowing" it through Unlimited, since in general people don't listen to audiobooks over and over and over.

Not sure it would be shooting Audible in the Face since I'm pretty sure Amazon bought out Audible (notice you can sign into your audible account with your amazon information?) I thought Goodreads might have been bought out by Amazon too...Not 100% sure but over the last few years I've been thinking WOAH Monopoly... The problem with that though is then you are on Amazon's terms for all their sites and there's no strong competition to take them down. Like Kalypso said most folks are getting their books through Amazon. (Goodreads, Audible, Amazon, Amazon Publishing, Amazon Fire phone, Ereading Devices etc).

Offline Hugh Howey

• Jupiter, FL
    • View Profile
    • Hugh Howey
« Reply #68 on: July 16, 2014, 08:29:22 AM »
It was (briefly) in the Select FAQs this morning. So it's only kind of speculation. From memory:

Books in Select will automatically be enrolled. Like the KOLL you won't be able to opt-out if you're in Select.
You will be payed if you someone reads 10% or more of your book.
The payment will come out of the same KOLL fund, just as if it was a borrow.

There was no mention if they would be increasing the fund or not.

I would think the fund would be increased by the subscriber funds. I worry about the "borrow" payout going down to something closer to $1.00. That would be bad.

I'm nervous about all subscription models after keeping a close eye on the music industry.

Hugh Howey | author website | facebook | twitter | goodreads

Offline Jan Strnad

• Los Angeles CA USA
  • Under the Endeavor
    • View Profile
    • OneLastTime.org
« Reply #69 on: July 16, 2014, 08:37:46 AM »
My first take on the news, subject to change by the end of the day:

http://onelasttime.org/spotify-books-coming-amazon/

Providing strange stories to discerning readers since 1972
Jan Strnad | Facebook | Author Page | Website

Offline Mandy

• Under a Carolina blue sky
    • View Profile
    • My journey as a middle ear implant clinical trial patient
« Reply #70 on: July 16, 2014, 08:39:15 AM »
I wonder if KU would be truly unlimited, as in all the Kindles under my account being able to borrow their own ebooks?

Offline Jash

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 16, 2014, 08:45:20 AM »
I would think the fund would be increased by the subscriber funds. I worry about the "borrow" payout going down to something closer to $1.00. That would be bad.

I'm nervous about all subscription models after keeping a close eye on the music industry.

I'm a little nervous about subscription models too. Especially given an infrastructure where it can be a one-click(r) thing offered at the checkout to someone about to buy a book.

The music industry/Spotify stuff is a whole can of worms in itself. Although, a lot of the criticism of it comes from a single article and subsequent infographic that were way off the mark, forcing Spotify to respond with more detail about how payments actually work. A lot of it also comes down to the deals the artists have with their labels. Although the silver lining with Spotify is the pool they pay from is directly linked to number of subscribers... which fits with your statement here. So probably nothing you didn't already know.

Offline JuliMonroe

• Springfield, VA
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 16, 2014, 08:56:52 AM »

You know what's funny, Hugh. It doesn't matter which side of the Indie/Trad pub debate you're on. Everyone (on all sides) is suspicious of subscription models. Either for the reason you mentioned or because of concerns of long-term viability. I include myself in that, and I love Scribd as a reader. I know they are losing money on readers like me. However, it does seem that it's an almost inevitable wave which could, potentially, do more to "devalue the book" than indie pricing ever did. I hope it won't, but I'm watching the developments carefully.

Has anyone done a study pointing to the effect Netflix has had on the DVD industry? I think it's a more accurate model than music. I can listen to a song multiple times in a day, but I'll probably only watch a particular movie or read a particular book once.

• New Jersey
  • Her Royal Sithiness
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 16, 2014, 08:57:32 AM »
This might have something to do with the fact that the news is literally hours old, nothing has been confirmed yet.

Since when has lack of confirmation ever prevented a freak out on the internet? :o ;D

Offline Quiss

• Canada
  • spits infinitives
    • View Profile
    • Chris Reher Author page
« Reply #74 on: July 16, 2014, 08:58:31 AM »

This idea can't come as a surprise to anyone! We know that streaming is the Next Big Thing. The KOLL was a toe in the water. There are lots of writers who would gladly take that few cents per book if it means exposure.

Well, that's dandy. So self-publishing returns to the days of vanity publishing?
There are a huge number of authors who pay bills with their work. Like Hugh says, what'll happen when the KOLL share drops to a buck or even less?
The readers certainly won't care.

I suppose we should be a little less smug about all those trade publishers getting shafted by the Big 5.  We're about to get our turn, methinks.
        NEW:

author website | facebook