Kindle Forum banner

Kindle Unlimited: the scoop threads merged... :)

192K views 1K replies 206 participants last post by  Harmonious 
#1 ·
Looks like Amazon just started (at least I've never seen it before) Kindle Unlimited: $9.99 for unlimited access to Prime books?

Anyone know how we are going to get paid for these books? Is it just like another borrow? I can't imagine it would be, or they'd loose money on the deal?

(My Select title seem to be auto-enrolled)

UPDATE: The original link has been removed, so here's a cached copy (thanks to Julie):
http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:6jL66Zad7zIJ:www.amazon.com/gp/kindle/ku/sign-up/ui/rw/about+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

UPDATE 2: Here's a link to the KindleUnlimited Youtube ad (thanks to Karen McQuestion):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnVNbYdo2FU

UPDATE 3: It looks like the service is really live now:
https://www.amazon.com/Kindle-eBooks/b/ref=ARRAY(0xa6e16ea0)?_encoding=UTF8&ie=UTF8&node=9578129011&pfShowFeatures=&ref_=ku_lp_rw_dp_pb&ref_=ku_lp_rw_dp_pb&tag=viglink20273-20

See less See more
#28 ·
I know there's already been some talk of this, but this affects my decision of whether or not to go into Select. Previously, I was all about spreading my works out to various vendors to ensure I didn't have all my eggs in one basket. Now, I'm wondering how popular a program like this will be at Amazon. If it sucks the life out of normal sales because most Prime users are utilizing the unlimited borrows program and more people that aren't in Prime join it to take advantage of the program, it might be time to reconsider joining Select.

#30 ·
I wonder if this is one of the stumbling blocks in the Hachette negotiations?  I would think that Amazon would want the big publishers' books listed in something like this. 

Edited to add:  At the very least, they might want a clause about being allowed to offer the books via the program if the publisher offers books via similar programs (Scribd, etc.) elsewhere.

G
#34 ·
VMた said:
It's even worse for audiobook people.

Of course it won't pay well. That's sort of the point.
Considering that ACX already reduced the royalties and has 100% control over the sale price, you can darn well bet audiobook people are going to get 100% screwed on this. They already discount audiobooks to oblivion.

#36 ·
Okay when I first read this board I was like hmm..probably wouldn't use this service (as a prime member/reader) I don't even use my own borrow one free book a month. Probably because I can never find it on my PC and my Fire is the 1st generation and its a hassle to find it :p

However, from that cached link above

Enjoy unlimited access to over 600,000 titles and thousands of audiobooks on any device for just $9.99 a month.

I would totally sign up for the audiobooks. I get super busy and have less time to read than I used to....I normally pick my author favorites that I've read on audio book (in case I get distracted while listening, I'm not completely lost).  But yeah, I'd totally sign up as long as they had a decent mix of audio books.... So as a reader I'm screaming YAY! But, as a writer with several works planned I'm cringing with the rest of you.

#39 ·
This is one of those speculative threads where we're all trying to second guess what the royalty deal will be with Kindle Unlimited. Online speculation or 'e-speculation' is understandable when we're being kept in the dark, but when it becomes premature e-speculation, this could be problematic. 

#40 ·
Colin said:
This is one of those speculative threads where we're all trying to second guess what the royalty deal will be with Kindle Unlimited. Online speculation or 'e-speculation' is understandable when we're being kept in the dark, but when it becomes premature e-speculation, this could be problematic.
It was (briefly) in the Select FAQs this morning. So it's only kind of speculation. From memory:

Books in Select will automatically be enrolled. Like the KOLL you won't be able to opt-out if you're in Select.
You will be payed if you someone reads 10% or more of your book.
The payment will come out of the same KOLL fund, just as if it was a borrow.

There was no mention if they would be increasing the fund or not.

#41 ·
If you look at the books offered (thanks to Julie's link) you'll see the pages labelled "KU Test."

This looks to me like a mock-up of a potential service, meaning that:

[list type=decimal]
[*]The books are not signed up
[*]The price is not firm
[*]No one is able to join
[*]It may not happen
[*]They're seriously thinking about it.
[/list]

This idea can't come as a surprise to anyone! We know that streaming is the Next Big Thing. The KOLL was a toe in the water. There are lots of writers who would gladly take that few cents per book if it means exposure. The only question is, "When will it happen?"

#43 ·
#44 ·
If they pay a decent royalty, this could be awesome. It would mean an end to complaints about serials because they'd pay their $9.99 fee and would be able to read all they want. I'm also lazy, so it could give me a reason to not have to put my books in other venues. To make it work, they'd have to make it work for us. They do need content. It's most likely that they would increase the fund.

#45 ·
Jash said:
It was (briefly) in the Select FAQs this morning. So it's only kind of speculation. From memory:

Books in Select will automatically be enrolled. Like the KOLL you won't be able to opt-out if you're in Select.

If they don't increase the KOLL fund, they won't be able to stop Scribd - a sleeping giant that I'm e-speculating will be a big threat to Amazon.

Edited to order minor word disorder. :)

#47 ·
Jash said:

If your memory is correct, it would be great if that also meant that, though you couldn't opt-out if you're in Select, you could opt-in if you aren't in Select. Crossing my fingers that that is the case.

#48 ·
I am a very happy Scribd subscriber. I looked at the cached links Julie posted and to be honest, it isn't in any way a danger to Scribd if that is what will be in KU. Content is king and no offence, I wouldn't pay $9.99 a month for pretty much only self published titles and then the amazon imprints. That's is what is in the KOLL right now. I am working my way through the Amazon Montlake titles each month with my Prime.

On Scribd I get HarperCollins, Kensington, Simon and Schuster, Sourcebooks, Open Road Media, Diversion Books, DreamSpinner, etc. In addition to many self published titles through Smashwords and D2D.

I browsed through the selection on that link and I could barely find stuff I either didn't already own free, or already have read through my KOLL. I would have to read 4-6 book a month on the service to make it a good deal. I have no lack of selection on Scribd.

But I'll keep my eye open and if they can get some big publishers it would be a competition. But considering how the relationship between Amazon and some publishers is, that is highly unlikely.

But overall I have seen a huge interest of readers in these services.

#49 ·
As for opting in or out, that is taken care of. In Select or out of Select. But what of audio? I am exclusive with ACX which means I'm screwed... maybe  ???  Because Amazon can do what they like with price for 7 years. Just as with Whisper Sync, they "could" add my audio to this and maybe pay me $2 a borrow or a lot less?? instead of $7.04 as now. All speculation of course, but my graph briefly showed the blue KOLL line labeled as KOLL/KU so I don'tthink its much of a stretch to believe the borrow pot will be shared with KU. Maybe Amazon will double the size of it to cover the rush. Who knows?

#50 ·
Atunah said:
I am a very happy Scribd subscriber. I looked at the cached links Julie posted and to be honest, it isn't in any way a danger to Scribd if that is what will be in KU. Content is king and no offence, I wouldn't pay $9.99 a month for pretty much only self published
Wouldn't unlimited audio books tept you?

#51 ·
Atunah said:
I am a very happy Scribd subscriber. I looked at the cached links Julie posted and to be honest, it isn't in any way a danger to Scribd if that is what will be in KU. Content is king and no offence, I wouldn't pay $9.99 a month for pretty much only self published titles and then the amazon imprints. That's is what is in the KOLL right now. I am working my way through the Amazon Montlake titles each month with my Prime.

On Scribd I get HarperCollins, Kensington, Simon and Schuster, Sourcebooks, Open Road Media, Diversion Books, DreamSpinner, etc. In addition to many self published titles through Smashwords and D2D.

I browsed through the selection on that link and I could barely find stuff I either didn't already own free, or already have read through my KOLL. I would have to read 4-6 book a month on the service to make it a good deal. I have no lack of selection on Scribd.

But I'll keep my eye open and if they can get some big publishers it would be a competition. But considering how the relationship between Amazon and some publishers is, that is highly unlikely.

But overall I have seen a huge interest of readers in these services.
Atunah,

As a reader and user of Scribd, do you find that you are now spending less money actually buying ebooks? Or are you just reading more? I'm curious how services like scribed will affect buying habits.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.