Author Topic: Mattress shopping--Anyone have experience with memory foam mattress?  (Read 3038 times)  

Offline The Hooded Claw

• Oklahoma
  • Card-carrying melodrama villain
    • View Profile
    • All about me....<hee hee>
After 20 years, it is well past time to replace my mattress. I am considering a memory foam mattress. I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with memory foam mattresses, and if they found them more comfortable and with fewer pressure points? Any other words of wisdom for a mattress buyer?

(Make your own reading bar)
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."  - Albert Einstein

Offline JETaylor

• Tolland, CT
    • View Profile
    • My Website
Re: Mattress shopping--Anyone have experience with memory foam mattress?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2014, 06:43:48 PM »
We have a temperpedic (sorry spelling on that sucks) and LOVE it.  It does take a little to get used to but I no longer have back aches when I get up.  It's more expensive - but well worth it.

Only caveat - DO NOT go running towards it and leap onto it.  It's like hitting a hard surface.  No - that's not from personal experience - my daughter was younger and saw the new bed and took a flying leap onto it expecting the soft bounce. 

It sounded like a splat and I couldn't help but laugh.  She groaned and then after it molded around her, she was like - oooo this is nice.

So, now that I've gone a little off topic - I'll go back.  My husband and I would never go back to a traditional mattress after this.

Reading books never felt so dangerous.
J.E. Taylor | author website | blog | facebook | twitter | goodreads | Newsletter

Offline Someone Nameless

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2014, 07:31:12 PM »
We went from a traditional mattress to a Tempurpedic.  We had it for several years and it started to sag.  Fortunately I'd kept my receipt and Tempurpedic delivered a new one and replaced that mattress for free.  (Hang on to your receipt!)  We liked it a lot and noticed a big difference when we moved from a regular mattress to that.

Last year we lost our home to a tornado.  The Tempurpedic was blown from the house.  We ended up purchasing a Serta iComfort (with adjustable base even!  LOVE it!) and we actually like it better than the Tempurpedic.  It has a memory foam gel.  The Tempurpedic could be warm but we do not have that issue with the iComfort.

« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 07:32:44 PM by Someone Nameless »
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. ~ Groucho Marx

Offline Sandpiper

• Chicago 'burbs
  • How could you not smile back at Bonnie?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2014, 08:11:49 PM »
I've got a memory foam mattress -- and the receipt.  It's not what it was in the beginning.  For a while, I've been waking up stiff and sore like I did before I got it.  Got to call about it tomorrow.

ETA:  I bought my mattress on April 9, 2008.  It's a Sealy Posturepedic Trueform.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 04:16:19 AM by Sandpiper »

My bro beagle (1954-1966).  I still miss him big time.
His last collar hangs on my bedpost.

Offline The Hooded Claw

• Oklahoma
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2014, 08:14:51 PM »
Thanks y'all. Sounds like memory foam is the way to go. I have a memory foam pillow that I bought from Amazon which I've been liking. Sounds like I will go with memory foam on the mattress too.

"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."  - Albert Einstein

Offline geoffthomas

• Derwood, Maryland
  • Member 2434
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2014, 05:29:24 AM »
I have heard raves from people who have memory foam mattresses.
I have, as SN mentioned, heard that some people find them too warm for their comfort.
I did choose a sleep comfort bed with the ability to change the softness/hardness settings. And it can be had with the adjustable base (hospital bed adjustments), which I also have.  I love it.  You can by it with a memory foam "topper" to give you the best of all worlds. 
The best thing is that if you find it too hard or too  soft after a while, even a year, you can change the settings - no need to take it back or be unhappy with it.

just sayin.....

Miss you, Dona, Jeff & Harvey! | Member since 02/27/2009 | e-books by Lynn Abbey, CJ Cherryh, & Jane Fancher
TANSTAAFL (There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch)

Offline KindleGirl

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2014, 05:54:34 AM »
This spring we switched to a memory foam mattress instead of just a memory foam topper. Love it so far. We checked out Tempurpedic a bit but prices were high. We found Bedinabox.com and decided to buy from there. They have a 120 day guarantee....if you don't like it, call them and they will come pick it up with no cost to you. There are many ways to customize your bed with them and they are very helpful. The beds are made in the US and arrive very quickly. Their customer service is exceptional. It is weird to order a bed online without trying it, but we do not regret it at all. If you have questions about which one is right for you, I urge you to contact them. We did a lot of research online and they get rave reviews. Youtube has a lot of videos about the unboxing, etc. if you are interested. Good luck and happy shopping! Oh, and they have a 20 year warranty.

Offline ◄ Jess ►

• near Chicago
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2014, 08:39:00 AM »
I personally don't like the feel of pure memory foam. I don't sink into it at all, so I end up lying on top of a flat mattress with no squish. I ended up layering TWO down toppers on top of my memory foam mattress to give it a little more softness. I still don't love it, but it's not bad. I wish they made a softer memory foam, but it seems like the higher quality you get, the harder it is. Definitely go lie down on some at a mattress store before you decide.

Offline Sandpiper

• Chicago 'burbs
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2014, 08:40:38 AM »
We went from a traditional mattress to a Tempurpedic.  We had it for several years and it started to sag.  Fortunately I'd kept my receipt and Tempurpedic delivered a new one and replaced that mattress for free.  (Hang on to your receipt!)  We liked it a lot and noticed a big difference when we moved from a regular mattress to that.

How long had you had it?  I bought my Sealy Posturepedic Trueform in April '08.  Salesman where I bought it said it's still under warranty.  I just called store customer service.  Someone will be calling in the next couple days.  Someone will come to inspect the mattress, take photos, take measurements, etc. (?).  Find out then if they will replace it.

Offline Cuechick

• Los Angeles
    • View Profile
    • etsy shop
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2014, 09:52:43 AM »
I will suggest if you have an iKea near you, you check your options out there, they have memory foam and I think the latex type too... and are pretty affordable. If you want a really firm mattress (as I do) i went to Lowes and got a 3/4 piece of plywood to fit under my sagging mattress... it is only a few years old. Did wonders!
Find Fab Vintage in my Etsy Shop: Fresh Pie!

Offline Sean Sweeney

• Massachusetts
  • I adventure hard so you don't have to!
    • View Profile
    • Sean Sweeney, Author
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2014, 10:24:26 AM »
I had a memory foam mattress topper once. Wasn't bad. I dug it.
Sean Sweeney, formerly John Fitch V -- author of 26 novels and counting.

Sean's Bookstore page: http://www.seansweeneyauthor.com/bookstore-2/

Want to know when my next book arrives?
http://seansweeneyauthor.us3.list-manage.com/subscribe?u=efd3d6c4705dc36027cb9f499&id=9ac41daa3e

Offline JETaylor

• Tolland, CT
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2014, 12:23:15 PM »
This spring we switched to a memory foam mattress instead of just a memory foam topper. Love it so far. We checked out Tempurpedic a bit but prices were high. We found Bedinabox.com and decided to buy from there. They have a 120 day guarantee....if you don't like it, call them and they will come pick it up with no cost to you. There are many ways to customize your bed with them and they are very helpful. The beds are made in the US and arrive very quickly. Their customer service is exceptional. It is weird to order a bed online without trying it, but we do not regret it at all. If you have questions about which one is right for you, I urge you to contact them. We did a lot of research online and they get rave reviews. Youtube has a lot of videos about the unboxing, etc. if you are interested. Good luck and happy shopping! Oh, and they have a 20 year warranty.

I'll have to look at this - we've been wanting to switch up to memory foam in our trailer but the queen mattress is shorter than normal - and cutting a high priced one would negate the warantee - thanks for posting the website!

Reading books never felt so dangerous.
J.E. Taylor | author website | blog | facebook | twitter | goodreads | Newsletter

Offline balaspa

• Chicago, IL
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2014, 12:50:42 PM »
My mother-in-law has one in the guest room and my wife and I have slept on one. This one had a special pad so that the foam did not get too hot. I cannot handle a hot bed and I always worried foam would be too hot. This one was very comfortable and cool.
The new thriller TEXT is available now!

Offline Sandpiper

• Chicago 'burbs
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2014, 07:42:08 AM »
Someone is coming this morning to inspect my mattress.  Find out if it will be replaced.  I am again waking up stiff and sore in the hips like pre my current Sealy Posturepedic Trueform mattress.

ETA:  He was here.  Took a bunch of pictures.  Put a thingy or two on the mattress and took pictures.  Said there's a 3/4" depression in the surface.  Now wait 7 - 10 days to find out what store where I bought it will do.  ???
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 08:30:57 PM by Sandpiper »

Offline Someone Nameless

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2014, 08:24:02 PM »
I'm sorry, I missed your question.  Ours was 8 years old when it was replaced.  No one every came to our house.  Tempurpedic had us put a yardstick across it and you could see the dips.  We took photos and sent to them and they delivered a new mattress and picked up the old one.  It was so easy!
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. ~ Groucho Marx

Offline Sandpiper

• Chicago 'burbs
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2014, 08:37:22 PM »
I'm sorry, I missed your question.  Ours was 8 years old when it was replaced.  No one every came to our house.  Tempurpedic had us put a yardstick across it and you could see the dips.  We took photos and sent to them and they delivered a new mattress and picked up the old one.  It was so easy!

Hmm.  I cudda done that as opposed to having some stranger come and throw my mattress around -- dust up the floor with it.  Now I'm especially curious what they'll do about it.

Offline Sandpiper

• Chicago 'burbs
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2014, 07:50:58 AM »
Someone Nameless, did you buy your mattress from a store or directly from Tempurpedic?  Who did you contact?  I don't know what results to expect.  I should not be waking up sore and stiff due to mattress in only six years.

Offline Someone Nameless

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2014, 09:00:13 AM »
I purchased from an independent furniture store but contacted Tempurpedic directly for the warranty.

http://www.tempurpedic.com/customer-service/warranty-claim.asp

Offline Sandpiper

• Chicago 'burbs
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2014, 01:25:13 PM »
I bought mine from furniture dept. of what at one time was a well-known, well-thought-of chain of department stores in the Chicago area, Carson Pirie Scott / Carson's.  It's been part of Dayton Hudson for a good number of years now.  So I contacted Carson's customer service per receipt, etc.

Offline cinisajoy

• Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2014, 03:26:21 PM »
THC,
I love mine.   No pressure points at all.   The only drawback is if Cinnamon gets in one spot, and I roll, he follows.   But he has to be completely touching me with 90% of his body.
We got ours at Overstock.com   No extra shipping.
http://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,216185.msg3013849.html#new

Please help our friend and fellow kboarder Craig Hansen.

Offline mlewis78

• New York, NY
  • Member #3406
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2014, 11:41:58 PM »
I bought a Dixie Foam firm mattress for my platform bed in 1981 and it is still very comfortable. No sagging.  After I bought this, I couldn't sleep on the then-popular inner spring mattresses (do they still make them?).  I bought the mattress in the Dixie Foam store in NYC.  They are still here.

http://www.dixiefoam.com/mattresses.htm

I've used memory foam pillows for 13 years.  I use a contoured neck one on top of a well-worn down pillow.  The only problem with that is the moisture caused by perspiration.  I've had to replace it now and then.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2014, 11:44:35 PM by mlewis78 »
New York, NY
Flutist, Legal Services Professional
Readers:  Paperwhite 2 (2013), Fire HD6 (2014 pink), 2012 K4(black), K4(silver), KFHD 7", K3 that won't charge, Kindle DX (US), Sony PRS-350, B&N Nook STR and Bookeen Cybook Opus

Offline Sandpiper

• Chicago 'burbs
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2014, 11:12:36 AM »
Carson's just called.  Replacing mattress.  :)  I go back to the store within 30 days to select another Sealy.  Price of old mattress will be credited towards new mattress.

Offline Cuechick

• Los Angeles
    • View Profile
    • etsy shop
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2014, 01:18:35 PM »
well i just got home from iKea with my new memory foam mattress for under 300.00 including tax. They store them rolled, which makes them easy to transport with an ingenuous handle-velcroed strap thingy. All by my self I was able to get up to my 2nd floor apartment. It is suppose to take a few days to return to is full shape and a month for your body to fully adjust to the mattress and the mattress to adjust to your body. I placed it on top of my old box spring with the 3/4 inch plywood on top of that then the mattress.
I am very hopeful! My back was aching so bad from my old mattress which is just a terrible spring style...

I have 90 days to try it out and can return it for a full refund if I don't like it... will let ya'all know how it goes...
Find Fab Vintage in my Etsy Shop: Fresh Pie!

Offline The Hooded Claw

• Oklahoma
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2014, 02:33:07 PM »
Good luck Cuechick! I have a Tempur pedic on order myself, looking forward to it.

Offline skyblue

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2014, 07:18:26 PM »
We LOVE our foam mattress!! :D I had terrible pressure point pain with our old traditional mattress. I literally spent HOURS laying on mattresses to find the right one. We purchased the Sealy Optimum Inspiration with adjustable base.  It is AMAZINGLY comfortable! We are very pleased with our purchase, and no issues with it being hot.  :D. Good luck finding the right mattress for you!