Author Topic: So who's excited for the iPhone 6?  (Read 14995 times)  

Offline Toby

• MA
    • View Profile
Re: So who's excited for the iPhone 6?
« Reply #125 on: December 19, 2014, 08:04:31 PM »
I don't have the new 6+ yet, still saving up, but the mini has more real estate for web surfing.

Offline luvmykindle3

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: January 19, 2015, 07:47:51 AM »
Love my 6 plus! Battery so much better.

Offline Mike D. aka jmiked

• Central Texas
  • Reading ebooks since 1994!
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: January 21, 2015, 10:38:30 PM »
I almost ordered an iPhone 6 this evening to replace an Android phone. The 64 GB units were out of stock, so I'll have to put off the decision. Which is probably a good thing.  ;D

I'm still looking for a good 3rd party epub reader, as well as an app to filter out spam phone calls.

Mike
What you see depends mainly on what you are looking for.

Offline Meemo

• NW Florida
  • KB Member #43
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: January 21, 2015, 11:11:20 PM »
I almost ordered an iPhone 6 this evening to replace an Android phone. The 64 GB units were out of stock, so I'll have to put off the decision. Which is probably a good thing.  ;D

I'm still looking for a good 3rd party epub reader, as well as an app to filter out spam phone calls.

Mike

For iOS have you tried the Marvin app for ePubs?  It only works for nonDRM ePubs but it's excellent. Haven't been keeping up with developments recently but he was considering coming up with an Android version.
Kindling since August 2008, 1st gen Oasis, PW2, 2 Fire HD6s, iPad Mini

• Central Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: February 05, 2015, 11:21:25 PM »
For iOS have you tried the Marvin app for ePubs?  It only works for nonDRM ePubs but it's excellent. Haven't been keeping up with developments recently but he was considering coming up with an Android version.

Yeah, I've had the Marvin app for a while , but it's on a device running IOS 5.X, so I really don't know what the new one will do other than what is on the product page. But it looks good. The integration with Calibre is important.

I ordered a 64 gig iPhone 6 a little while ago. Here's hoping the number transfer from my current carrier goes OK.

Now I'm looking for a good, used iPad 3rd gen.

Mike

« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 11:44:14 PM by jmiked »

Offline WDR

• Massachusetts
  • To boldly split infinitives
    • View Profile
    • Official Website of William D. Richards
« Reply #130 on: February 06, 2015, 07:42:26 AM »

I'm quite happy with iBooks on my iPhone 5. I like the reader interface and the smoothness of the library interface. iBooks is quite happy with any ePub file, so long as it isn't DRMed by the distributor from whence it came. I have a lot of classics pulled down from Project Gutenberg. (A great site! All avid readers should maintain a bookmark to this site.)
Aggadeh Chronicles Book 3: Oracle: 11%
William D. Richards | Official Website | A Writer's Chronicles | Patreon

• Central Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: February 06, 2015, 12:34:36 PM »
I'm going to have to wait and get my phone later this week to try out the various ebook readers. It's likely that they have changed a lot since IOS 6, which is the latest I have access to at the moment. so it is still up in the air.

Mike

Offline Meemo

• NW Florida
  • KB Member #43
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: February 07, 2015, 11:49:13 AM »
I'm quite happy with iBooks on my iPhone 5. I like the reader interface and the smoothness of the library interface. iBooks is quite happy with any ePub file, so long as it isn't DRMed by the distributor from whence it came. I have a lot of classics pulled down from Project Gutenberg. (A great site! All avid readers should maintain a bookmark to this site.)

One of the things I love about Marvin is that it has a built-in link to several sources of public domain books, including Project Gutenberg (also feed books.com and Internet Archive and Mobileread). You can download directly into Marvin. Of course you can snag many of the better-known classics free from iBooks as well.   

I also like the options of background colors and fonts and font colors that Marvin offers - I like to set it so that it looks like a Kindle page. (I've never been a fan of the sepia theme.)  Other apps offer some of the additional features as well, I've just always felt like Marvin feels like the developer is a reader who designed it with actual readers in mind. I don't use it as much since I got my Paperwhite, but for a while I was reading on it almost exclusively.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2015, 11:55:46 AM by Meemo »

• Central Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: February 07, 2015, 12:49:48 PM »
One of the things I love about Marvin is that it has a built-in link to several sources of public domain books, including Project Gutenberg (also feed books.com and Internet Archive and Mobileread). You can download directly into Marvin.

The thing that appeals to me about Marvin is that it can interface with Calibre. Most of my books are in Calibre, so it's a big plus for me. It appears to sync between devices using Dropbox, which is another plus. When my phone gets here next week, I'll start giving them a try.

Mike

Offline WDR

• Massachusetts
  • To boldly split infinitives
    • View Profile
    • Official Website of William D. Richards
« Reply #134 on: February 07, 2015, 05:58:17 PM »
One of the things I love about Marvin is that it has a built-in link to several sources of public domain books, including Project Gutenberg (also feed books.com and Internet Archive and Mobileread). You can download directly into Marvin. Of course you can snag many of the better-known classics free from iBooks as well.   

I also like the options of background colors and fonts and font colors that Marvin offers - I like to set it so that it looks like a Kindle page. (I've never been a fan of the sepia theme.)  Other apps offer some of the additional features as well, I've just always felt like Marvin feels like the developer is a reader who designed it with actual readers in mind. I don't use it as much since I got my Paperwhite, but for a while I was reading on it almost exclusively.

I'll just have to take a look at Mavin. :)
Aggadeh Chronicles Book 3: Oracle: 11%
William D. Richards | Official Website | A Writer's Chronicles | Patreon

Offline Meemo

• NW Florida
  • KB Member #43
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: February 08, 2015, 07:44:15 AM »
The thing that appeals to me about Marvin is that it can interface with Calibre. Most of my books are in Calibre, so it's a big plus for me. It appears to sync between devices using Dropbox, which is another plus. When my phone gets here next week, I'll start giving them a try.

Mike

That's my favorite as well, Mike. Not everyone uses Calibre, but for those who do it's great, and for those of us who put their Calibre library into Dropbox, it's even better since we can have the Calibre OPDS catalog in Marvin or go through Dropbox when we aren't near the computer. DH thinks I'm a genius for figuring that one out.

• Central Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: February 09, 2015, 08:57:21 AM »
Woohoo! New iPhone 6 is out for delivery! Or so the USPS notification says.

Mike

Offline Toby

• MA
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: February 09, 2015, 09:10:04 PM »
Mike, whooohooo!  :D I still love my Apple devices, but I was wondering why you decided this time to order the iPhone 6 over a Samsung Galaxy Phone?

• Central Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: February 09, 2015, 10:25:14 PM »
Mike, whooohooo!  :D I still love my Apple devices, but I was wondering why you decided this time to order the iPhone 6 over a Samsung Galaxy Phone?

Well, I have perfectly good Galaxy S3, and it's a very nice phone indeed. I've been using Android phones for 4 years or so, and I thought I'd go back to the Evil Empire for a while.

Several reasons present themselves other than I just felt like a change. My preferred geocaching app is IOS-only. The IOS grocery shopping list I like works better than the Android conversion. Syncing between calendars/contacts/reminders/todo lists, etc., is easier in a unified environment. My PDF reading app is IOS-only. My database with all my printed books syncs only with an IOS app. I got tired of having to convert it into another format to use with Android, even though it doesn't change often. Leonard Maltin's Movie Guide is IOS-only. My home automation system has an nice app for IOS, whereas there's a not-quite-so-good Android app from a third party. Siri works better than Android equivalents. Battery charge life on the iPhone 6 looks to be much, much better than my Galaxy S3 (not proven yet). An added bonus is that apparently I can set up the iPhone as a WiFi hotspot for a little more $$ a month. Can't do that with my S3 (carrier restrictions).

I downloaded the IOS 8 user guide and discovered that they have added several features that I considered essential: custom ring tones for individual contacts, and custom notifications for email accounts.

Yes, the iPhone 6 costs over twice as much to purchase as a Galaxy S3/4/5. That part of it still gives me indigestion and a distinct pain the the wallet when I think about it.

I would still recommend a Samsung phone to friends and relatives if asked. It's hard to justify the extra expense, even with very specific needs in mind.

I'm also stuck with the battery that comes with the iPhone. I normally carry an external battery pack in the car that is capable of recharging the S3 two or three times when I'm out geocaching for the whole day (hard on battery life), so I can use that for the iPhone. It's not as convenient as having a monster battery though. We will see how that works out. I have less concerns about batteries that are more-or-less not user-replaceable now than I used to be as I have a 1st gen iPad and a 4th gen iPod Touch that have lost none of their charge times despite being relatively old and well-used (as these things go).

Maybe I just wanted a change. Sometimes I do that. I have 30 days to try out the iPhone and return it. Some of this may be driven by my experiences with a Nexus 7 tablet, which has not proven to be satisfactory.

Mike
« Last Edit: February 09, 2015, 10:44:03 PM by jmiked »

Offline Toby

• MA
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: February 10, 2015, 07:48:06 PM »
Thanks for the explanation. :D  I'm sure that you will love the phone. I know a few people that have the 6 or the 6+, and love it. I still am using my iPhone 5, so I haven't gotten a chance to check out a Samsung Galaxy phones yet. I agree with you about the batteries on the iPads. I passed on my iPad 2, but the battery is still working great considering that I used it for hours a day. My battery on my iPhone 5 has started to go down a little faster now.

Offline Rasputina

• View Profile
« Reply #140 on: February 16, 2015, 08:29:37 AM »
I'm loving my 128gb 6 plus. The turn by turn directions with the map app is a huge improvement, Siri has made my grocery app unnecessary and it's nice to have tons of storage space. I picked up the elago m2 stand in gold for my phone and a kenu airframe+ for my car. So far I'm using it naked just like my previous iphones.

• Central Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: March 22, 2016, 08:48:42 PM »
Well, it's been around a year since I switched from Android to an iPhone. I thought I'd give an update of my experience.

I've been very pleased with my iPhone 6 64gig. It's been everything I expected it to be and then some. I'm still enjoying the tight integration between the device and the OS. Also the sync abilities between devices. Yes, the inability to get apps to do some things is a bit aggravating, but it is more than balanced by the vastly higher security of IOS over Android. I also appreciate the prompt updates of the operating system, something that you don't get with Android. I've had Android phones that never got an update in spite of known serious security holes. And don't get me started on the numerous (and useless) apps that most carriers install on phone (and you can't get rid of without jailbreaking).

I have a 16000mA external battery pack/charger that can recharge to iPhone 5 or 6 times that I carry in the car. The iPhone is the only phone I've used that can actually charge from an external source while loaded down with all the running apps I use while traveling in the car. Even under heavy use, it will get back to 100% in about an hour.

The iPhone does have some annoyances, though. It really needs at least one LED to indicate whether battery needs charging or has been fully charged.  And also to indicate message/notification waiting.

Mike

Offline Betsy the Quilter

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
  • Administrator
  • Alexandria, VA
  • Love all, moderate all, to quote my friend Harvey
    • View Profile
    • Betsy True Designs
« Reply #142 on: March 22, 2016, 09:22:33 PM »
I don't miss the LED.  When my iPhone is charged, it beeps or vibrates, depending on whether I've muted it or not.  And pressing the home button shows the lock screen which has the battery status and any recent notifications.

I tried Android for a while, but vastly prefer the iOS integration and security--totally agree there. 

Glad you're enjoying it!  I have the 5S, and an iPad, so the smaller 5S is good enough for me!

Betsy

Goodreads Goal -- 75 books

Joined 10/27/2008  | Miss you, Harvey, Jeff & Dona!
Harvey Chute (1962-2015), KB Founder

Proud Owner: Oasis/Voyage/Touch/Basic/K1/Fire HDX
Betsy True Designs Facebook | My Store

• Central Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: March 27, 2016, 09:00:38 PM »
I have the 5S, and an iPad, so the smaller 5S is good enough for me!

Betsy

This week a friend of mine in Virginia (I live in Texas) asked to recommend a smartphone. I steered him to an iPhone 5S, which is quite reasonably priced these days. My buddy is a computer illiterate, so I expected some sort of call from him to discuss nuances. The vendor did no setup at all, so I had to talk him through installing the SIMM, registering with Apple, registering with the service provider, etc. I had to spend about 7 hours over three days trying to talk him through it.

After the sixth or seventh time (this is NOT an exaggeration!) I asked him to tap the Home button and got the response "Where is that?" and then an equal number of times telling him where the button was to turn the phone on and off, I told him I didn't think he and a smartphone were compatible and to take it back where he bought it and see if he can get his money back. I just can't troubleshoot things like that from 1200 miles away not being able to see the screen. I have a program to take remotely over his desktop computer and fix things, but if he can't remember where the Home button is on the phone, I think it's hopeless.

Mike

Offline Sandpiper

• Chicago 'burbs
  • How could you not smile back at Bonnie?
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: March 28, 2016, 05:42:11 AM »

My bro beagle (1954-1966).  I still miss him big time.
His last collar hangs on my bedpost.