Author Topic: Seeking authors for a NetGalley co-op  (Read 1133 times)  

Offline Lisa J. Yarde

• New York
    • View Profile
    • Lisa J. Yarde, Author
Seeking authors for a NetGalley co-op
« on: August 25, 2014, 12:48:41 PM »
Hello,

I'm putting together a NetGalley co-op, The Literary Quilt, for authors across genres seeking reviews. Ideally, I'm aiming to have 25 slots per month. There is a one-time set up fee and then a monthly listing fee that all authors enrolled would share. So far there are eight authors who have claimed 12 slots between them. If you are interested in access to NetGalley through this co-op please message me here or email me at lyarde1175 at gmail dot com.

Lisa J. Yarde | author website | blog | facebook | twitter | goodreads | google+ | youtube

Offline ShayneRutherford

• Toronto, Ontario
    • View Profile
    • My Website
Re: Seeking authors for a NetGalley co-op
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2014, 01:09:32 PM »
How much does a slot cost?

Offline dmburnett

• Lanesville, IN
    • View Profile
    • Dana Michelle Burnett
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2014, 08:14:05 AM »
How much does a slot cost?

My question too.

Dana Michelle Burnett | Blog | Facebook | Twitter

Offline Kirkee

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2014, 08:47:20 AM »
Hi Lisa,

Not certain how this would work, nor what the all around cost would be. Sounds like something worth exploring, though.
I'm for just about anything that would help indies find exposure.   :) 8) :-*

Certain titles contain graphic violence and/or strong language and/or erotica.        
Kirk Alex

Offline Lisa J. Yarde

• New York
    • View Profile
    • Lisa J. Yarde, Author
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2014, 12:42:46 PM »
If I can stick with my plan for 25 slots, there's a one-time set up fee that each author must pay towards upon signing up of $24. That's in addition to the first month of enrollment at $19.60 per slot. Thereafter, it's $19.60 per month per slot, again assuming every month I'll have 25 slots.

To those who've replied, I'm sending you a private message with access to the signup sheet. The last three columns are set to calculate the payment based on length of enrollment, so you can see exactly what you're signing up for.   

Lisa J. Yarde | author website | blog | facebook | twitter | goodreads | google+ | youtube

Offline ShayneRutherford

• Toronto, Ontario
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2014, 01:03:20 PM »
Would we have the ability to swap out one book for another whenever we want, as long as we're paid up for the month?

Offline Lisa J. Yarde

• New York
    • View Profile
    • Lisa J. Yarde, Author
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2014, 01:41:51 PM »
Would we have the ability to swap out one book for another whenever we want, as long as we're paid up for the month?

Shayne, absolutely. The newer titles get the benefit of being on the New Releases list, but over time that effect does dwindle. So I'm encouraging authors with multiple titles to think of enrolling with the ability to swap their titles in a slot.   

Offline ShayneRutherford

• Toronto, Ontario
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2014, 01:54:05 PM »
Sweet. Thanks, Lisa.

Offline Capella

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2014, 02:09:43 PM »
Just a few questions/comments:
Will each author get to do their own approvals? How do you plan to handle auto-approves?  I joined a Netgalley co-op last year and the main reason for not re-upping was the giant list of auto-approves they had that could download your book without your approval. On Netgalley, you can add a reviewer to an auto-approve list and they can get all the books in the co-op free without you approving them.  Being careful about who gets your book is actually kind of important because many won't review, many will pirate you, and many will write funny/scathing reviews of your book because they hate your genre and they want to entertain their friends.  I don't know why people would read things they hate, but if they can get them free, they will. This isn't so bad until they cross post to Amazon.
You can generally tell the type who will do it by cruising their profile before approving, but with auto-approves, you don't get the chance.
I think if a co-op is going to have a huge auto-approve list, authors might do best in a co-op with others of similar genre.

Offline Lisa J. Yarde

• New York
    • View Profile
    • Lisa J. Yarde, Author
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2014, 06:15:36 PM »
Hi, happy to answer all.

-Will each author get to do their own approvals?

I have three volunteers to consider review requests. I didn't intend to have authors do their own approvals. If that approach should change, I'll discuss it with the authors beforehand.

-How do you plan to handle auto-approves?

Since this is a new co-op, there won't be any auto-approves in the first year and the volunteers will be scrutinizing reviewers for the behavior you mentioned. Not going to offer any book up to be the sacrificial lamb to someone who clearly has issues with indies, never reviews the books they request, or any other pointless antics etc. No time for it.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 07:06:33 PM by Lisa J. Yarde »

Offline Capella

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2014, 10:08:04 PM »
Hi, happy to answer all.

-Will each author get to do their own approvals?

I have three volunteers to consider review requests. I didn't intend to have authors do their own approvals. If that approach should change, I'll discuss it with the authors beforehand.

-How do you plan to handle auto-approves?

Since this is a new co-op, there won't be any auto-approves in the first year and the volunteers will be scrutinizing reviewers for the behavior you mentioned. Not going to offer any book up to be the sacrificial lamb to someone who clearly has issues with indies, never reviews the books they request, or any other pointless antics etc. No time for it.

Hi Lisa,
Thanks for clarifying.  I think that's an awesome way of going about it.  My co-op was primarily composed of authors of a certain genre, and by the time I had joined, their list of auto-approves was enormous. And part of the problem was I think readers were associating the co-op with that genre by that point, which caused even more confusion. I'm glad to hear you hopefully won't end up with the same issue.

Offline Lisa J. Yarde

• New York
    • View Profile
    • Lisa J. Yarde, Author
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2014, 07:17:51 AM »
Hi Lisa,
Thanks for clarifying.  I think that's an awesome way of going about it.  My co-op was primarily composed of authors of a certain genre, and by the time I had joined, their list of auto-approves was enormous.

What did you think of the experience overall? Was it helpful for getting reviews? any other downsides to the process?

Offline Capella

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2014, 02:57:40 PM »
What did you think of the experience overall? Was it helpful for getting reviews? any other downsides to the process?

Hi Lisa. Thanks for asking.  The experience overall was good.  I think the key to the whole experience is being careful with approvals and also being careful about an auto-approve list if there are authors of varying genres. Because if you look at some reviewers, their profile is polite and well worded and then you look at their Goodreads profile and it's a slew of unhelpful one stars. I don't mean normal, critical reviews that help a reader decide whether to read or not. Those one stars are invaluable. I mean reviews where they read it knowing they'll hate it and cackle over it with their friends, because they have nothing better to do. 
Also, Netgalley reviews tend to be much harsher than organic reviews, it's almost an extension of Goodreads in that way.  They will give you a 2 star on Amazon for being 'okay, a good read' and a 3 star for being 'great, had fun reading'.  Not everyone, but a lot of the reviewers. I got a lot of glowing, flattering reviews that were 3 and 4 stars.  It took a while for one of my books to recover from the Netgalley reviews with regular, organic reviews from free runs, Bookbub, and regular purchases.
BUT...I have also found some of my greatest fans through Netgalley. Bloggers who offered me interviews, or wanted to get me on Twitter, or promote me (ironically they were also 4 star reviews on Amazon).  It was worth being on Netgalley to meet fans like that.  And some of the reviews you get will be really high quality and very informative for the readers.  But if you are sensitive to bad reviews, you will get by far your least favorite on Netgalley. After releasing 12 books under 3 pen names, my skin is pretty thick, but I have still had some really cringe-worthy reviews through Netgalley. 
I write romance and my by far worst reviews were from auto-approves who downloaded my books without checking genre despite hating romance.  Then they would go off on a rant about how trashy romance is, and how my book is basically a romance novel (IT IS a romance novel) and laugh about how lame romances are. I actually had a review that tore me a new one for being a romance (which is fine, they have a right) but then the author of the review went on to demand I release the next quickly and emailed a copy of her review asking that I send her the next quickly because she's loving the series so far.  Okay...
In general, the readers on Netgalley are voracious, opinionated readers and that can be a good or a bad thing, depending on how much your book's rating on Amazon can withstand a few bombs.
It's all about expectations and making sure the book is in the right hands.  Just like a book that goes free will get bad reviews because people picked it up when they wouldn't if they were paying, Netgalley has some of the same issues with readers just grabbing what they can.
Some people also say all reviews sell books. I never really saw an increase in sales with any of my Netgalley titles, but it was nice to have reviews soon after launching. I recommend putting the book up before sale and then sending an email only to the reviewers you choose when the book goes live. It may prevent some of the one star bombers from hitting your page because they'd have to be checking when the book is live. Be very clear in your blurb so readers know just what to expect.  Hope that helps some.

Offline Lisa J. Yarde

• New York
    • View Profile
    • Lisa J. Yarde, Author
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2014, 12:41:52 PM »
Last chance for participation in the NetGalley co-op. I have 7 slots left in a total of 25 available. If you're interested in details, please email me at lyarde1175 at gmail dot com ASAP.  Thanks.