Kindle Forum banner

No sales days & depression

4K views 49 replies 33 participants last post by  Honeybun 
#1 ·
Does anybody else struggle with depression on days when you have no sales?  As time has passed, when I hit of day of no sales, I get so depressed that it's hard to even have faith in my journey as a writer.

#2 ·
Chin up! Just because you didn't reach a reader on ONE day doesn't make you anything less of a writer. Think of other sales you've made-- people that you don't even know-- reading your book.

I admit logging in and seeing a no sales day is always a bummer. But try to let it drive you TO your keyboard rather than away from it. The more books you have out, the more you increase your likelihood of sales every day.

*hugs* That all said, depression is a hell of a thing and I know that even if you know all of these things logically, that doesn't always equate to being able to pull yourself out of it. Just keep swimming. <3

#4 ·
Honeybun said:
Does anybody else struggle with depression on days when you have no sales? As time has passed, when I hit of day of no sales, I get so depressed that it's hard to even have faith in my journey as a writer.
TOTES. August 20 was my worst day in a month, and I was all, "Welp! It's been fun! Time to get a name tag and a paper hat!"
And then I scheduled some promos and some countdowns and things have rebounded. I wrote nothing for 2 days which is going to bite me in the ass, but I *thought* about it...

Now go do something. Shoo. Go on now... You can do it. ;)

#5 ·
JenEllision said:
Chin up! Just because you didn't reach a reader on ONE day doesn't make you anything less of a writer. Think of other sales you've made-- people that you don't even know-- reading your book.

I admit logging in and seeing a no sales day is always a bummer. But try to let it drive you TO your keyboard rather than away from it. The more books you have out, the more you increase your likelihood of sales every day.

*hugs* That all said, depression is a hell of a thing and I know that even if you know all of these things logically, that doesn't always equate to being able to pull yourself out of it. Just keep swimming. <3
Thank you so much. *big, big hug* You said just the right things. THANK YOU and a huge, huge hug!!!!

#6 ·
LisaGloria said:
TOTES. August 20 was my worst day in a month, and I was all, "Welp! It's been fun! Time to get a name tag and a paper hat!"
And then I scheduled some promos and some countdowns and things have rebounded. I wrote nothing for 2 days which is going to bite me in the ass, but I *thought* about it...

Thank you!

You guys are making me feel better & definitely helping me to move forward to more words, more stories. :)

#7 ·
Please hang in there. It's tough sometimes, I know. I feel your pain. I too struggle with up and down (or no) sales, and it can be seriously depressing. Try to resist the urge to check sales often and, as others have said, keep writing! Nothing beats the low-sales blues and puts a smile on your face like getting immersed in a new (or ongoing) character. Good luck!

#8 ·
I think we've all been there.  I know I have.

Remember that most "overnight successes" really had to try again and again until they found something that worked.  The folks who are resilient and keep trying in spite of their fears, failures, and obstacles are the ones who ultimately succeed.  If you publish ten books, nine are failures and one is a phenomonenal success -- would it be worth it?

#9 ·
H. S. St. Ours said:
Please hang in there. It's tough sometimes, I know. I feel your pain. I too struggle with up and down (or no) sales, and it can be seriously depressing. Try to resist the urge to check sales often and, as others have said, keep writing! Nothing beats the low-sales blues and puts a smile on your face like getting immersed in a new (or ongoing) character. Good luck!
I'm working on that right now and am struggling a little to get back into my "voice" for the character.

When I'm getting sales, I feel on top of the world with limitless possibilities and potential.

When I get no sales, I hear a voice that says nobody loves me (from a literary perspective) and that I'm just a great big hack.

And, checking my sales has become a bit of an addiction for me--an unhealthy one. I suspect I am going to have to start setting some do&don't rules and put myself on a once a day or once every few days timer. I usually don't go more than one day without any sales so if I restricted myself to checking once every three days, that would help to curb the hack/nobody-loves-me thoughts. I'm not to the point of having legitimate give-up feelings mostly because I can't fathom not writing and not pursing this as a life path but I do begin to struggle with feeling like the whole of my dreams might not be possible--all over one day. It impacts my output. I feel so lost over it that I just want to go into zombie mode and do nothing. Yep... I think it is time to put myself on a sales-check schedule of not every day.

#10 ·
MrAzzatagoestotheinternet said:
Since you're paid by the month, you should probably be looking at month-to-month numbers. Do something like take your monthly average (total sales) for the previous three months, then try to improve that number this month. That means every month, you're adding a new book or running a marketing campaign. Or both. Something like that.

Maybe the only times you should be monitoring your day-to-day sales numbers are when you're running promotional campaigns, so you can determine which advertising is the most effective and which you should abandon. But just checking on a daily basis seems to drive people insane. ;)
michaelsnuckols said:
I think we've all been there. I know I have.

Remember that most "overnight successes" really had to try again and again until they found something that worked. The folks who are resilient and keep trying in spite of their fears, failures, and obstacles are the ones who ultimately succeed. If you publish ten books, nine are failures and one is a phenomonenal success -- would it be worth it?
I'm a short story, erotica writer so I haven't been doing any promotions. One, I can't afford them yet, and two I need to get a project out there that is more fully realized before I go the promotion route What I am incredibly bad about is constantly checking to see which title is selling and trying to figure out what has the potential to take off and do well if I add to its story line. Again, that is maybe something I need to do on a weekly or monthly basis instead of day to day.

#11 ·
Okay.. It's time for me to take an official brown out.  I am going to turn off my wifi until this evening and will only turn it on before then if I specifically and legitimately really need to.

Big hug to everyone and I hope you have a great day!!!

#12 ·
How many stories do you have out there? When I only had the first and second parts of my serial, and my one short story, no sales days were pretty common!

Also, pretty sure that you can do promotions with erotica--Eelkat had a long list of promo sites posted somewhere with lots of erotica links. And they were free. She writes short stories & erotica, you might want to reach out to her.

#13 ·
Honeybun said:
Yep... I think it is time to put myself on a sales-check schedule of not every day.
That's what I did, and it worked well. I just wait until the end of the month and download my reports from the various vendors. Getting that distance seems to help--the sales are what the sales are.

The one exception is when I'm running a promo. I do check sales before, during, and after to see how successful the promotion effort was.

#15 ·
Honeybun said:
I'm a short story, erotica writer so I haven't been doing any promotions. One, I can't afford them yet, and two I need to get a project out there that is more fully realized before I go the promotion route What I am incredibly bad about is constantly checking to see which title is selling and trying to figure out what has the potential to take off and do well if I add to its story line. Again, that is maybe something I need to do on a weekly or monthly basis instead of day to day.
What sub-genres are you writing in? And how many short stories do you have out? Are you getting positive reviews on the books you have out? All of these will affect sales. If you're hitting the hot sub-genres, and you have a fair amount of books out, you don't need to promote to see sales.

If you'd rather discuss it in PM, that's okay with me.

#17 ·
One of the biggest benefits of this board that I have noticed so far is the genuine caring between the authors.  I absolutely love that.  We are all in this together and I'm so glad you reached out here when you were feeling down.  Big cyber hugs to you and hope you are feeling better about it all. 

:)

#18 ·
LisaGloria said:
TOTES. August 20 was my worst day in a month, and I was all, "Welp! It's been fun!
Time to get a name tag and a paper hat!"

It's normaly like that at those days of month. they always improve in the last days of month.

#21 ·
I know that feel. I went for days without a single sale when I first started out. There were times when I was so desperate at seeing my poor book sinking lower and lower that I wanted to create different accounts for myself so that I could keep buying my book - I didn't want it to appear to people who came across it that was inferior because its rank was so low. Social proof and all of that...

One year later and, well, I'm doing much, much better. So, yeah, give it some time and don't give up. Remember, if you give up, you will fail for sure. If you keep going, you have a chance for success. :)

#22 ·
I'm with you!

I released my first book this month, and I've been a pit of anxiety and depression, agonizing over my lack of sales. I know that I shouldn't expect much without promotions, and I know self-pubbing is a long-term proposition, but it doesn't make me feel any better. I had lots of delusional fantasies about selling thousands of copies in the first week.

I try to focus on writing my next book. It doesn't always work, but it helps.

I try to remember that I am a whole person and not just a writer and engage in other hobbies or hang out with my friends/family. It doesn't always help, but it is fun.

#24 ·
Honeybun said:
Okay.. It's time for me to take an official brown out. I am going to turn off my wifi until this evening and will only turn it on before then if I specifically and legitimately really need to.

Big hug to everyone and I hope you have a great day!!!
Big hug back!
anniejocoby said:
I know that feel. I went for days without a single sale when I first started out. There were times when I was so desperate at seeing my poor book sinking lower and lower that I wanted to create different accounts for myself so that I could keep buying my book - I didn't want it to appear to people who came across it that was inferior because its rank was so low. Social proof and all of that...

One year later and, well, I'm doing much, much better. So, yeah, give it some time and don't give up. Remember, if you give up, you will fail for sure. If you keep going, you have a chance for success. :)
So true!
SevenDays said:
I'd pass around cookies, but I have no cookies. All I have are stale fortune cookies. Boo.

I'm in the focus-on-the-next-book camp. I'm constantly brainstorming new stuff, so there's no time to get too down about low sales figures.
Me too!

#25 ·
Ha! Try like me: as of today, it's been NINE days without a single sale!!!! :'( :'( :'(

And I'm still working hard to finish my pre-order (oh, that's right I had one pre-order in that period, so not all is lost ;D)

I don't know if I'm extremely optimistic or just plain stubborn, but I refuse to let it hit me (much). So...hang in there. As Mama Cass would sing:

The good times are coming
They'll be coming real soon
And I'm not just pitching pennies at the moon

I'm not about to come unhinged when everything goes wrong
A fact is something to be faced
But not for very long

The good times are coming
When they come I'll be there
With my both feet firmly planted way up there
In mid air

#26 ·
C. Gockel said:
How many stories do you have out there? When I only had the first and second parts of my serial, and my one short story, no sales days were pretty common!

Also, pretty sure that you can do promotions with erotica--Eelkat had a long list of promo sites posted somewhere with lots of erotica links. And they were free. She writes short stories & erotica, you might want to reach out to her.
I have 19 titles so far on Amazon, all of them short story, erotica. I did have more but had to pull an older (from before I took a writing break of a year plus) more complete series due to content issue but I've still got that series working for me other places willing to take it. On Amazon, I'm selling almost every day--usually not more than one or two titles. But as I move forward with constant effort and very specific goals of success relating to being able to do this full time, when I hit a day of no sales, it's almost as if the floor of all that is possible just drops away and I get depressed and despondent. -- But I'm going to work on that! Today's brown out helped immensely! And, it drastically increased my productivity. Win-win!

I will keep that in mind about the erotica promotions! Anything to give me a little bit of an Amazon boost.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.