Author Topic: Kindle Voyage Cover  (Read 89683 times)  

Offline CAR

• Los Angeles, CA
    • View Profile
Re: Kindle Voyage Cover
« Reply #125 on: November 01, 2014, 07:13:34 AM »
My concern with the Oberon is -- while they're exceedingly well made and excellent quality -- I just feel like it's going to add too much weight and bulk to the device.
I agree with you Ann.  But if in my case it allows me to grip the Voyage better so I can use the pagepress senors easier, the extra bulk may be a good thing for me.  It would be nice to see some reviews first. 
« Last Edit: November 01, 2014, 08:18:46 AM by CAR »

K2US v2.5.7 / 2x(One is SO)K3 White 3G/Wi-Fi + Oberon Bold Celtic in Black / 2x PW2 3G W/O / Voyage 3G W/O / PW3 3G W/O / Oasis 3g W/O

Offline Cobbie

• Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: November 01, 2014, 07:18:05 AM »
Wow this is great news.  It looks like a Oberon will be "the"  cover to get for the Voyage. It may even solve the small bezel issues for me.  Very interesting Thank You!

You're welcome. Yes, the "grip factor" with with the Oberon is definitely a plus.

On my first four Kindles I had Oberons (with straps) because I thought the designs were so beautiful. I agree that they are somewhat bulky. On my PW2 I have the Amazon book cover which I love. The wake/sleep feature is now a must for me. I now have the Amazon flip on my Voyage, which I've been using for a week and am enjoying it more and more. Ideally, I would like a cover like I have on my PW2 and Linda's ForeFront case looks similar. Thank you for this information. I will be very interested in your review.

Offline bordercollielady

• Westminster, CO
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: November 01, 2014, 08:08:18 AM »
Yes, the "grip factor" with with the Oberon is definitely a plus.

That is what I'm thinking.  I have small hands,  If I hold the bare Voyage in my left hand,  I cannot reach the buttons at all with my left hand.  So I use my right hand to turn pages,  but its not very comfortable since my left hand is completely stretched out.  In fact, my left hand hurts a bit today after doing a lot of reading last night.   I'm hoping I can get a better grip with my left hand..  that isn't as uncomfortable.   I just love the Oberons too.   Gives me the feeling I'm reading an old-fashioned book.   

Offline CAR

• Los Angeles, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: November 02, 2014, 11:43:50 AM »
I have pretty much made up my mind.  If I get a good Voyage in December.  I will order Oberon Celtic Hounds in wine for it after the holidays in January.  Who knows, maybe I will be the first one to review the Oberon Voyage Cover. ;)

K2US v2.5.7 / 2x(One is SO)K3 White 3G/Wi-Fi + Oberon Bold Celtic in Black / 2x PW2 3G W/O / Voyage 3G W/O / PW3 3G W/O / Oasis 3g W/O

Offline Neo

• View Profile
« Reply #129 on: November 02, 2014, 05:37:49 PM »
I was all set to get an Oberon for my Voyage and about to place my order - but after asking repeatedly on FB, it seems they are only changing the straps position, and basically keeping the PW cover dimensions. I don't mind the high price point of the Oberon, as I know it's a beautiful product that will outlast the Kindle, and I just love holding my Kindle in it (I've had an Oberon for each of my Kindles). But at that price point, I expect a cover that will fit the Voyage perfectly, not a larger "recycled" cover  >:(. So I have to find another cover now  :(

Offline CAR

• Los Angeles, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: November 02, 2014, 08:29:30 PM »
Oberon have confirmed that the cover will have the auto wake feature. Also the cover will not have a hole for the power button,  that's great news to me.  The cover does have it's own part number.  The published dimensions will be the last piece of the puzzle.  Gives me time to decide between the Celtic Hounds or the Dragon cover in wine.   ;D

« Last Edit: November 02, 2014, 08:37:04 PM by CAR »

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Laugh Loud. Run Fast. Be Kind.
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: November 03, 2014, 04:21:10 AM »
I decided to go with the Fintie

Fintie Voyage Cover, smartshell, in purple

It's due to come this week . . . I hope I like it.  It ends up being $12 with shipping which doesn't seem like too much for an experiment. But, having used the Voyage for near 2 weeks with no cover, and having the experience of previous kindles (like the PW) with a cover, I've decided I prefer it WITH than WITHOUT. :)

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis 2016
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)
S7Edge (KApp for Android)
Galaxy (KApp for Android)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR

Offline AnelaBelladonna

• Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: November 03, 2014, 06:01:56 AM »
I was all set to get an Oberon for my Voyage and about to place my order - but after asking repeatedly on FB, it seems they are only changing the straps position, and basically keeping the PW cover dimensions. I don't mind the high price point of the Oberon, as I know it's a beautiful product that will outlast the Kindle, and I just love holding my Kindle in it (I've had an Oberon for each of my Kindles). But at that price point, I expect a cover that will fit the Voyage perfectly, not a larger "recycled" cover  >:(. So I have to find another cover now  :(

OR you could do what I did and order a small Oberon journal.  The dimensions are a bit smaller than the Kindle cover and the design I loved only came in the journals.  I have my velcro ready to attach my Kindle to the cover and my little magnet to take advantage of the wake-up feature.  My journal should arrive this week and I will let you know how it works out.

Denise

Offline laughinggravy

• View Profile
« Reply #133 on: November 03, 2014, 06:40:34 AM »
Hi guys, re Oberon -Neo - me too. I've been in touch with customer services and they tell me that indeed, no cut through for on/off (they do have small discs cut out to the back for other devices) but the magnetic auto sleep should be ok. But for me the deal-breaker is that they aren't changing the dimensions from the Paperwhite case. The Paperwhite seems quite a bit smaller in height particularly and I don't want the extra bulk. The cases are heavy enough. So basically it is exactly the Paperwhite case, but with the magnet just moved from the corner to the centre.

AnelaBella - interested to hear how it goes with you. Small journo cover is what dimension?

This is what I'm seeing with loads of 3rd party cases, they are just the Paperwhite cases, sold for the Voyage, unless they are the plastic 'tray' type - which I do prefer. I'm beginning to think I'm going to get a very cheap 'tray' type case, cut out the tray and glue it to the inside of the small journo cover from Oberon, if the dimensions are right :)

Concerning the Forefront, as someone above mentioned they say it is dispatched but the delivery date is for end of Nov. That's because they haven't been released yet and the company is showing them as dispatched, which is dubious practice at best. 

I contacted them and eventually, after quite a few mails receiving, of all things, an out of office reply, the company told me the product hadn't been released yet. I asked them how on earth they could dispatch something that was not yet released and... no reply. Amazon contacted them on my behalf for a refund. There's a thread on this at MobileRead. It could be that the cases are great, but I don't like their business model.

Its a real drag Amazon don't just produce a case like the Paperwhite's.

Offline laughinggravy

• View Profile
« Reply #134 on: November 03, 2014, 07:23:19 AM »
Just pottering round the net to try and find something and I have come across this:
http://www.reddit.com/r/kindle/comments/2huu54/paperwhite_style_covers_for_the_kindle_voyage/
the poster says they have been told by amazon that Paperwhite type cases are in the pipeline due to popular demand.
Dunno if its true but perhaps reason to hope......

Offline AnelaBelladonna

• Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: November 03, 2014, 07:35:06 AM »

AnelaBella - interested to hear how it goes with you. Small journo cover is what dimension?

5" x 6.875" While not significantly smaller than the Kindle Paperwhite, any little bit matters to me.  Also, I wanted a certain pattern in a certain color.

Offline Cobbie

• Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: November 03, 2014, 07:59:17 AM »
Just pottering round the net to try and find something and I have come across this:
http://www.reddit.com/r/kindle/comments/2huu54/paperwhite_style_covers_for_the_kindle_voyage/
the poster says they have been told by amazon that Paperwhite type cases are in the pipeline due to popular demand.
Dunno if its true but perhaps reason to hope......

Hmmm....I wonder how long this pipeline is...too long for me to be able to return my origami cover, no doubt. I don't use my Kindles without covers so I might see two covers in my future or my origami "like" might have turned to "love" by that time. Wouldn't that be nice.  ;)

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: November 03, 2014, 09:49:40 AM »
Given that reddit comment, here's what I'd suggest:

Contact Amazon and tell 'em exactly why you don't like the current cover offerings and request the side open-like-a-book kind: kindle-feedback@amazon.com The more they hear the dissatisfaction, the faster they'll work to get something else out.

You CAN return any item purchased from Amazon within 30 days and pay only the cost of return shipping.  For any who sprung for the current cover, if it's not exactly what you want, that's what I'd do.  There are cheaper 3rd party covers that are available now that still might not be EXACTLY what you want, but if you have to eat the cost until the Zon one comes, I'd rather eat $12 than $45 or $60.

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis 2016
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR

Offline Emmalita

• View Profile
« Reply #138 on: November 03, 2014, 11:09:13 AM »
It's kind of weird.  I didn't think I would like the Origami cover at all, but now that I've been using it for a week or two, I've really grown to like it.  I can understand why people don't like the flip top.  That is still a little awkward, but I really like how the cover is propped up in both portrait and landscape more.  I didn't really expect it to work in landscape because Amazon doesn't show it that way on their site, but it works great like that!  Covers are a pretty personal thing though, so I wouldn't say this one, or any cover for that matter, is for everyone.

Offline Cobbie

• Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: November 03, 2014, 11:24:59 AM »
You CAN return any item purchased from Amazon within 30 days and pay only the cost of return shipping.  For any who sprung for the current cover, if it's not exactly what you want, that's what I'd do.  There are cheaper 3rd party covers that are available now that still might not be EXACTLY what you want, but if you have to eat the cost until the Zon one comes, I'd rather eat $12 than $45 or $60.

I still have three weeks to return the origami cover and using a cheaper cover, in the hope that a Zon one becomes available, is a great idea. Like Emmalita, I'm liking the origami more and more but I ordered the Fintie in black. I'm so wishy-washy.  :D
« Last Edit: November 03, 2014, 11:28:08 AM by Cobbie »

Offline Cobbie

• Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: November 03, 2014, 01:39:46 PM »
Sorry, off topic -

After Ann's explanation of how she found the light sensor on the Voyage by buffing her "precioussssss" with the 'fuzzy finger' microfiber screen cleaner I ordered them and THEY ARE GREAT! Fabulous!!! My iPad screen has never looked better. Thanks so much for mentioning it.

Okay, back to our regular programming.

Offline CAR

• Los Angeles, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: November 03, 2014, 05:51:11 PM »
Well I went to the Facebook Page, that's when I saw the Oberon Dragon cover.  Got to have that one.. fancy yet manly.   8)
« Last Edit: November 03, 2014, 05:52:57 PM by CAR »

Offline Neo

• View Profile
« Reply #142 on: November 03, 2014, 08:40:26 PM »
AnelaBelladonna - that's what I've decided to do too, kind of.

When the Paperwhite first came out, Oberon didn't adjust the size of their cover, and just used the Touch covers. I was really unhappy with the size (it was just too big, too much space around the Kindle), so I sold it and got a Baby K Oberon instead. Took it to a cobbler who adjusted the straps for me, and I was in heaven, lol.

So looking at the dimensions of the various Oberon covers on their website, I think I may be able to just reuse my current adjusted cover, with just resizing the straps again  :). The only thing that I would be missing, is the auto-wake feature, so I'm thinking of just getting a magnet for that. AnelaBelladonna, could you please share which magnets you will be using to repurpose your journal please?

laughinggravy, you may be able to get a Baby K Oberon and repurpose it too? The dimensions of the Baby K cover are:5.25" x 6.875" (so very close to AnelaBelladonna's journal).

Another interesting piece of information: if you contact Oberon directly, they may be able to accommodate a different color/design combination than what is shown on the website. I contacted them and asked if they would be able to make my beloved Cloud Dragon in black again, and they were extremely kind and said yes :)

Car, it's an excellent choice - but I may be biased, the Cloud Dragon has been my cover since ever it first came out (I've always had it in black though, they used to offer it originally), and I am yet to tire of it  :D

Cobbie, I NEED some of those fuzzy fingers too  ;D!!!!!

Offline Cobbie

• Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: November 03, 2014, 09:55:11 PM »
Cobbie, I NEED some of those fuzzy fingers too  ;D!!!!!

I'm sure that can be arranged, lol.

Offline CAR

• Los Angeles, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: November 03, 2014, 10:09:52 PM »

Car, it's an excellent choice - but I may be biased, the Cloud Dragon has been my cover since ever it first came out (I've always had it in black though, they used to offer it originally), and I am yet to tire of it  :D

Thanks Neo.  Well as it turns out, I already ordered my Cloud Dragon in Wine tonight.  Now all I need is a Voyage to put in it ;)

Offline Neo

• View Profile
« Reply #145 on: November 03, 2014, 10:20:09 PM »
I'm sure that can be arranged, lol.

I may even have an idea of who could help ;)

Offline Neo

• View Profile
« Reply #146 on: November 03, 2014, 10:21:23 PM »
Thanks Neo.  Well as it turns out, I already ordered my Cloud Dragon in Wine tonight.  Now all I need is a Voyage to put in it ;)

Congratulations, I know you will love it, and Wine is gorgeous!!!!!

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: November 04, 2014, 04:20:57 AM »
Did some one say "fuzzy fingers"? :D

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis 2016
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)

Offline Linjeakel

• United Kingdom
  • Erm .....
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: November 04, 2014, 08:01:04 AM »

Concerning the Forefront, as someone above mentioned they say it is dispatched but the delivery date is for end of Nov. That's because they haven't been released yet and the company is showing them as dispatched, which is dubious practice at best. 

I contacted them and eventually, after quite a few mails receiving, of all things, an out of office reply, the company told me the product hadn't been released yet. I asked them how on earth they could dispatch something that was not yet released and... no reply. Amazon contacted them on my behalf for a refund. There's a thread on this at MobileRead. It could be that the cases are great, but I don't like their business model.

That's an interesting discovery. If that's really the case I may just cancel my order too. I'll have to see if I can get a straight answer out of them.  >:(
"A person who publishes books, willfully appears before the populace with his pants down." Edna St. Vincent Millay

Member since 03/17/2010 | (make your own reading bar) |
My Kindles: Kindle Voyage  | Kindle Paperwhite  |  Fire HD 10  | Kindle DX  | Kindle Touch

Offline Cobbie

• Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: November 04, 2014, 08:02:36 AM »
Did some one say "fuzzy fingers"? :D

The pink one is next to my chair and might never leave my side.  ;D

Buy Scrivener for Windows or Mac