Author Topic: Kindle Voyage Cover  (Read 89684 times)  

Offline Steph H

• North Texas
  • K1, K2, KDX, K3, KFire, K4, KPW1, KFireHD, KV, KO
    • View Profile
Re: Kindle Voyage Cover
« Reply #150 on: November 04, 2014, 12:32:11 PM »
I decided to go with the Fintie

Fintie Voyage Cover, smartshell, in purple

It's due to come this week . . . I hope I like it.  It ends up being $12 with shipping which doesn't seem like too much for an experiment. But, having used the Voyage for near 2 weeks with no cover, and having the experience of previous kindles (like the PW) with a cover, I've decided I prefer it WITH than WITHOUT. :)

I ordered the same one in black the other day, just because it was only a penny plus $4.99 shipping at the time for the color black.  Pocket change, really, for an experiment.  Haven't got it yet but with my Voyage having arrived today (can't wait to get home and play with it!), it should be here in another day or two also to see how they work together. I'm not thinking it will be perfect but something to try at least. I'm actually hoping I like it and that some of the other colors they show on the photo will come along soon, I like some of the color-leopard-y looking ones. :)
Currently active Kindles:                                                  Swag Bucks - Earn Amazon GCs for free!
KFireHD - Draco                                                              I'm in the fight! - Support Liver Disease Awareness
KV - TARDIS
KO - Merlin

Offline ellenoc

• Colorado
  • Mystery and romance
    • View Profile
    • Ellen O'Connell
« Reply #151 on: November 04, 2014, 03:45:04 PM »
I ordered the Poetic flip case sometime ago. Then just recently I got a message from Amazon saying they'd cancel the order if it didn't ship 10/31. It didn't. So then I got a message from Amazon saying in effect, "It's now between you and the vendor. We're not charging your credit card because it hasn't shipped. Talk to them."

So I figure I'm not going to see that Poetic cover for quite some time. I had one for my PW1 and really liked it and expected to like it for the Voyage too.

In the meantime, I'm wildly unhappy with the naked Voyage. I just don't like holding it without a cover to tuck fingers into. I do want a flip top, and I'd order the Incipio if it had the wake feature, but not having it is a deal breaker. So I gave in and ordered the Amazon cover, and it came today. The way the Voyage sits into it is great. The auto wake is great. The way it makes a stand is great. However, as a device for holding the Voyage while reading it just doesn't cut it. I can force my fingers between the covers to hold, but the way the folds to make the stand go, it wants to buckle when I do that, and overall it just doesn't work well. It's slightly, but noticeably heavier than the Poetic cover for the PW1, so I feel I'm paying a weight premium for something less than satisfactory.

So I feel bad about it, but I'm going to keep it for a while hoping the Poetic shows up or something else comes along with the auto-wake feature, but it's going back before the 30 days expire.

Offline CAR

• Los Angeles, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: November 04, 2014, 03:53:30 PM »
I ordered the Poetic flip case sometime ago. Then just recently I got a message from Amazon saying they'd cancel the order if it didn't ship 10/31. It didn't. So then I got a message from Amazon saying in effect, "It's now between you and the vendor. We're not charging your credit card because it hasn't shipped. Talk to them."

So I figure I'm not going to see that Poetic cover for quite some time. I had one for my PW1 and really liked it and expected to like it for the Voyage too.

In the meantime, I'm wildly unhappy with the naked Voyage. I just don't like holding it without a cover to tuck fingers into. I do want a flip top, and I'd order the Incipio if it had the wake feature, but not having it is a deal breaker. So I gave in and ordered the Amazon cover, and it came today. The way the Voyage sits into it is great. The auto wake is great. The way it makes a stand is great. However, as a device for holding the Voyage while reading it just doesn't cut it. I can force my fingers between the covers to hold, but the way the folds to make the stand go, it wants to buckle when I do that, and overall it just doesn't work well. It's slightly, but noticeably heavier than the Poetic cover for the PW1, so I feel I'm paying a weight premium for something less than satisfactory.

So I feel bad about it, but I'm going to keep it for a while hoping the Poetic shows up or something else comes along with the auto-wake feature, but it's going back before the 30 days expire.

My experience with the Voyage was almost exactly the same as yours. I did not like reading on a naked Voyage ;)   Now my solution hopefully will be a Oberon cover that I ordered.  But I know price and weight is a big issue with some.   Hopefully we will find a great lower price and smaller cover for the Voyage.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2014, 05:57:55 PM by CAR »

K2US v2.5.7 / 2x(One is SO)K3 White 3G/Wi-Fi + Oberon Bold Celtic in Black / 2x PW2 3G W/O / Voyage 3G W/O / PW3 3G W/O / Oasis 3g W/O

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Laugh Loud. Run Fast. Be Kind.
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: November 05, 2014, 01:52:07 PM »
So my Fintie Voyage cover came and I HIGHLY recommend it:

Before purchase I was concerned about the color -- the words used to describe the colors didn't match what my eyes saw. But based on the color of the 'purple' one I got, you can safely go by what you see.

The Voyage fits perfectly in the case. Auto wake/sleep works. Cover stays closed with a magnet. The back has a nice contrasting black surround. The power button is readily accessible -- but not really needed with the auto wake. The only minor quibble I have is that there's no tab at the front to help you open it -- but that's really no different than the Fintie I have for my PW so it didn't really surprise me.

In short, I am PERFECTLY satisfied. PLUS it was promised for Nov 6 to 12 and arrived today, the 5th. It's absolutely worth the money -- even the extra $5 for a color that's NOT black. AND it's in stock NOW -- the others of this style are not available for 3 to 5 days. :)
« Last Edit: November 05, 2014, 01:56:10 PM by Ann in Arlington »

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis 2016
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)
S7Edge (KApp for Android)
Galaxy (KApp for Android)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR

Offline Betsy the Quilter

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
  • Administrator
  • Alexandria, VA
  • Love all, moderate all, to quote my friend Harvey
    • View Profile
    • Betsy True Designs
« Reply #154 on: November 05, 2014, 02:03:07 PM »
Did some one say "fuzzy fingers"? :D

hehehe....I turned Ann on to Fuzzy Fingers...which I got from a friend.  LOVE my fuzzy fingers....I might need some more.  They make great stocking stuffers, too.

Betsy
Goodreads Goal -- 75 books

Joined 10/27/2008  | Miss you, Harvey, Jeff & Dona!
Harvey Chute (1962-2015), KB Founder

Proud Owner: Oasis/Voyage/Touch/Basic/K1/Fire HDX
Betsy True Designs Facebook | My Store

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: November 05, 2014, 02:04:26 PM »

hehehe....I turned Ann on to Fuzzy Fingers...which I got from a friend.  LOVE my fuzzy fingers....I might need some more.  They make great stocking stuffers, too.

Betsy

Yes -- sorry -- I should have credited Betsy. :D I have one that goes with me in my purse and one that lives next to 'my spot' on the couch.

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis 2016
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR

Offline Cobbie

• Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: November 05, 2014, 02:14:07 PM »

Betsy

Two pairs were delivered yesterday for Christmas gifts. Many thanks to both of you. I'm still amazed at how clear my iPad screen stays now.

....and my Voyage...and my PW2... :)
« Last Edit: November 05, 2014, 02:23:06 PM by Cobbie »

Online crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
  • Member #1600 since January 15, 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: November 05, 2014, 03:36:01 PM »

Before purchase I was concerned about the color -- the words used to describe the colors didn't match what my eyes saw. But based on the color of the 'purple' one I got, you can safely go by what you see.

The Voyage fits perfectly in the case. Auto wake/sleep works. Cover stays closed with a magnet. The back has a nice contrasting black surround. The power button is readily accessible -- but not really needed with the auto wake. The only minor quibble I have is that there's no tab at the front to help you open it -- but that's really no different than the Fintie I have for my PW so it didn't really surprise me.

In short, I am PERFECTLY satisfied. PLUS it was promised for Nov 6 to 12 and arrived today, the 5th. It's absolutely worth the money -- even the extra $5 for a color that's NOT black. AND it's in stock NOW -- the others of this style are not available for 3 to 5 days. :)

Okay, you have convinced me to try this case, I do not like a nekkid Kindle!  I went with the color they are calling Navy and hope it is closer to the teal blue it appears on my screen.  I will probably order another one in the future if they bring out the fun patterns for the Voyage.  I have a delivery date of the 12-14th, if it arrives sooner, great.

Are you using the page-turn buttons?  Any difference in how they "feel" in this case?
A book, I think, is very like a little golden door.
That takes me into places where I've never been before.
It leads me into fairyland or countries strange and far.
And, best of all, the golden door always stands ajar. - Adelaide Love

"Never lose sight of the fact that the most important yardstick of your success will be how you treat other people - your family, friends, and coworkers, and even strangers you meet along the way." ~ Barbara Bush

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: November 05, 2014, 04:44:33 PM »
Okay, you have convinced me to try this case, I do not like a nekkid Kindle!  I went with the color they are calling Navy and hope it is closer to the teal blue it appears on my screen.  I will probably order another one in the future if they bring out the fun patterns for the Voyage.  I have a delivery date of the 12-14th, if it arrives sooner, great.

Are you using the page-turn buttons?  Any difference in how they "feel" in this case?

Yay!

I think the color will be closer to teal -- but, of course, can't promise. :) I am hoping for some of the patterns later on as well.

The page turn buttons work just fine in the case, and even with the cover turned back. I haven't even adjusted the sensitivity and feedback I had set.  I think it's because the case fits virtually 'skin tight'.  And it adds almost no weight.

FWIW, there are covers from ACcover, ACcase, and OMOTON that look very similar, cost slightly more, and will be available later this week or next.

« Last Edit: November 05, 2014, 04:55:04 PM by Ann in Arlington »

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis 2016
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)

Offline Betsy the Quilter

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
  • Administrator
  • Alexandria, VA
  • Love all, moderate all, to quote my friend Harvey
    • View Profile
    • Betsy True Designs
« Reply #159 on: November 05, 2014, 04:58:33 PM »
Yes -- sorry -- I should have credited Betsy. :D I have one that goes with me in my purse and one that lives next to 'my spot' on the couch.

I was just feeling like I had started a Fuzzy Finger addiction. :D :D :D

Betsy
Goodreads Goal -- 75 books

Joined 10/27/2008  | Miss you, Harvey, Jeff & Dona!
Harvey Chute (1962-2015), KB Founder

Proud Owner: Oasis/Voyage/Touch/Basic/K1/Fire HDX
Betsy True Designs Facebook | My Store

Offline Kathy

• Lighthouse Point, FL
  • Member 376
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: November 05, 2014, 05:04:25 PM »

It looks a lot like the Paperwhite cover. Does it have the same feel?

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: November 05, 2014, 05:08:51 PM »
It looks a lot like the Paperwhite cover. Does it have the same feel?

Close. . . .  a bit smoother finish, I'd say. Less textured.  But comfortable to hold, for sure.

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis 2016
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)

Offline Susan J

• Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: November 05, 2014, 05:09:15 PM »
I guess I'm the exception on this cover.  I really don't like it much but it will do until I find something better.  I weighed it and it only adds 3 ounces but I think that is because the front cover feels as though it is just a piece of covered cardboard.  It closes securely so would be good for traveling but it doesn't open as easily as my MoKo paperwhite case that I loved.  Since my main purpose in getting a cover is to give me something comfortable to grip, this Fintie just doesn't meet my needs.

Offline Kathy

• Lighthouse Point, FL
  • Member 376
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: November 05, 2014, 05:14:24 PM »
I have 2 different ones on order and have one I had bought but don't like and this is before I even have the Voyage. I do like the look of the Finte.

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: November 05, 2014, 05:17:46 PM »
I guess I'm the exception on this cover.  I really don't like it much but it will do until I find something better.  I weighed it and it only adds 3 ounces but I think that is because the front cover feels as though it is just a piece of covered cardboard.  It closes securely so would be good for traveling but it doesn't open as easily as my MoKo paperwhite case that I loved.  Since my main purpose in getting a cover is to give me something comfortable to grip, this Fintie just doesn't meet my needs.

I think it's possible the ACcase and OMOTON covers that come out in the next week or so, which are slightly higher priced, will have slightly better quality -- might feel more 'real'. They look to be a very similar style.

The Fintie is PU leather -- which is not 'real' leather but, as I understand it, a sort of leather laminated product.  I don't think the base is cardboard, though . . . probably plastic.

For now, for me, it does what I need/want it to do. But there's every chance I'll get another one at some point. ;)

Compared to the plastic $45 Amazon top flip origami -- it's way WAY better! :o

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis 2016
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)

Online crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: November 05, 2014, 05:31:06 PM »
Yay!

I think the color will be closer to teal -- but, of course, can't promise. :) I am hoping for some of the patterns later on as well.

The page turn buttons work just fine in the case, and even with the cover turned back. I haven't even adjusted the sensitivity and feedback I had set.  I think it's because the case fits virtually 'skin tight'.  And it adds almost no weight.

FWIW, there are covers from ACcover, ACcase, and OMOTON that look very similar, cost slightly more, and will be available later this week or next.

Excellent, thanks for the information.  It looks a lot like the Amazon PW case in that it fits right in there and is the hard shell versus the leather fintie that has the cut-out frame around/over the bezel.  The hard shell seems like just that extra little bit of protection that will make me happy.

"Never lose sight of the fact that the most important yardstick of your success will be how you treat other people - your family, friends, and coworkers, and even strangers you meet along the way." ~ Barbara Bush

Offline kschles

• Laurel, Maryland
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: November 06, 2014, 06:05:13 AM »
I have the Omoton case for my Paperwite and am very happy with it. Waiting for my Voyage (Dec 4 ETA, sigh)' and will probably try the Omton for that as well. They have some interesting map designs.
Ken

Offline Ronald

• View Profile
« Reply #167 on: November 06, 2014, 01:06:48 PM »
Just got mine. (Fintie)
Built cheaply? Yes, but the best five bucks I've spent in a long time.
Much more comfortable to hold and gives me some protection.
Highly recommend.
Ron

Offline Tripp

• Kent, Washington
    • View Profile
    • Goodreads
« Reply #168 on: November 06, 2014, 05:49:10 PM »
Well, I finally found a cover I think I am going to like.  Finte came out with a folio case.  It will be a little bulkier than the smartshell case, but that's what I like.  I picked out the navy.  If I like it, I will look to see if it comes out in the graphic map design.  That is what I really want. 

« Last Edit: November 06, 2014, 06:48:05 PM by Tripp »

(Make your own reading bar)

You can't get a cup of tea big enough or a book long enough to suit me.
-C. S. Lewis

Offline bordercollielady

• Westminster, CO
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: November 07, 2014, 06:17:53 AM »
I got my Oberon Owl cover in Saddle.  Love it!   Some things I found:  The magnet is attached to the cardboard insert in the front cover.  It works great at turning the Voyage on and off so I won't need access to the on/off button.
I used to remove the inserts but will only remove the back one. 

It accomplishes what I wanted.  I can hold the Voyage with the cover folded back,  my left hand tucked into the space between the front cover and (since I didn't remove it) - the front insert,  (or the front insert and the leather inside cover) and my fingers reach the "page-turn" buttons.   I won't need to read two handed anymore.  I'm still working at putting the extra charm on the bungee.   That's my only disappointment.  The charm is a tree, not an owl but that's ok.   

Another change - altho this may have been changed awhile ago - is they replaced leather strips with elastic to hold the Kindle in place.  Not a big thing.   Also I didn't have to ask them to not include the felt on the inside front cover which always bothered my allergies.

All in all,  its gorgeous.   ;D ;D  I don't find the extra weight an issue - but I have been using Oberons for a long time so I'm used to them.  If you want a lightweight cover - this isn't going to work for you.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2014, 06:25:26 AM by bordercollielady »

Online Patricia

• Northwestern New Jersey
  • Enjoy Today...It will not come again.
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: November 07, 2014, 06:42:35 AM »
Thanks for your Oberon cover review.  I ordered the Bold Celtic in fern green and it's out for delivery!!  I can't wait.  I NEED a little more bulk and I've missed having an Oberon.  I haven't had one for a long time.  I also always took the inserts out.  I'll have to check it out.

I also bought the Fintie cover and don't really care for it.  The navy color WAS navy, not the teal color on my screen.  I have a Fintie cover for my Paperwhite and I like it so much better than this one.  This one just seems cheap. 

Online crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: November 07, 2014, 07:13:31 AM »
Thanks for your Oberon cover review.  I ordered the Bold Celtic in fern green and it's out for delivery!!  I can't wait.  I NEED a little more bulk and I've missed having an Oberon.  I haven't had one for a long time.  I also always took the inserts out.  I'll have to check it out.

I also bought the Fintie cover and don't really care for it.  The navy color WAS navy, not the teal color on my screen.  I have a Fintie cover for my Paperwhite and I like it so much better than this one.  This one just seems cheap. 

Rats, I was afraid of that, however I already got the e-mail this morning that it has shipped.  For the price I can deal with boring Navy until they release something more interesting.

I hope someone posts a picture of their Voyage in an Oberon when they have them.  I was able to modify my beautiful green Forest cover from the K1 for the KK, but it is way too big for the KV and I want that magnetic off/on.  Maybe I will put a new Oberon for the KV on my Christmas list.

Offline CAR

• Los Angeles, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: November 07, 2014, 07:23:09 AM »
I got my Oberon Owl cover in Saddle.  Love it!   Some things I found:  The magnet is attached to the cardboard insert in the front cover.  It works great at turning the Voyage on and off so I won't need access to the on/off button.
I used to remove the inserts but will only remove the back one. 

It accomplishes what I wanted.  I can hold the Voyage with the cover folded back,  my left hand tucked into the space between the front cover and (since I didn't remove it) - the front insert,  (or the front insert and the leather inside cover) and my fingers reach the "page-turn" buttons.   I won't need to read two handed anymore.  I'm still working at putting the extra charm on the bungee.   That's my only disappointment.  The charm is a tree, not an owl but that's ok.   

Another change - altho this may have been changed awhile ago - is they replaced leather strips with elastic to hold the Kindle in place.  Not a big thing.   Also I didn't have to ask them to not include the felt on the inside front cover which always bothered my allergies.

All in all,  its gorgeous.   ;D ;D  I don't find the extra weight an issue - but I have been using Oberons for a long time so I'm used to them.  If you want a lightweight cover - this isn't going to work for you.

Great News!   So glad you love your new Oberon.   They are still making my cover, but that's ok since I will not have a Voyage until Dec 9 ;)  I have a couple questions,  Do the elastic strips interfere with the light sensor at all?  And is the page turn sensor sensitivity the same, or did you have to adjust it?

K2US v2.5.7 / 2x(One is SO)K3 White 3G/Wi-Fi + Oberon Bold Celtic in Black / 2x PW2 3G W/O / Voyage 3G W/O / PW3 3G W/O / Oasis 3g W/O

Offline MsBea

• View Profile
« Last Edit: November 07, 2014, 10:18:28 AM by Ann in Arlington »

Offline Jane917

• Ridgefield, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: November 07, 2014, 07:32:29 AM »
I have just order the Finitie Smart shell in red for my Voyager. It is not expected to deliver until 11/19, but that is 10 days before expected delivery of the Voyager. Thanks for all the recommendations.
Words with Friends: Jane917

(Make your own reading bar)

Buy Scrivener for Windows or Mac