Kindle Forum banner

Kindle Voyage Cover

107K views 370 replies 74 participants last post by  9 Diamonds 
#1 ·
What cover did you order for the new Kindle Voyage?

#2 ·
I'm holding off on a cover for now. Not keen on the top open on the Zon cover, and have no need for the origami stand feature. So I feel like I may not want one at all. Might just wait for a nice slipcover or at least until someone comes out with an attractive side open cover. Right now all they have are pretty plain. :)

That said, this one looks nice, and not too pricey at $29.99

There are other colors as well, including a purple floral pattern.

Here's a link to the Voyage accessories so far -- I've been checking periodically to see what's been added. The first day all they had were the Zon covers. Then they added the Belkin and top opening Incipios. Today's the first day I've seen the side opening Incipios in any thing but fairly plain colors.

http://smile.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_pg_1?rh=n%3A133140011%2Cn%3A!133141011%2Cn%3A370783011%2Cn%3A1288346011%2Cn%3A9001874011&ie=UTF8&qid=1411487841

I expect more will be added as we get closer to release.

#3 ·
That one you linked to, Ann, looked good to me, too, except I worry about two things -

My biggest concern is how the cover folds back. You can see that the cover has a "spine" section, that may stick out or not fold flat when the cover is flipped. Most of the Amazon covers have a very thin piece connecting the front and the back.

I'm also not sure I like how much extra cover sticks out around the periphery of the kindle. On the other hand, the fact that the kindle isn't right up against the edge means there would be more protection from drops and bumps.

For now, I'm going with this one. I would have liked the actual Amazon one, but it's quite expensive, and I'm not psyched about the hinge being at the top, and with other origami covers, I don't like how floppy/foldy the cover is.

#4 ·
I'll get a cover once I order the Voyage, which has to be once they are available for regular order. I want a top flip cover. They have become my favorite coves with my kindles. I have the original for my PW, but I didn't like it. I need something to stick my fingers in from both sides. With a top flip, I can do that from either side. Makes it hard for me to grab otherwise.

But the original top flip for the Voyage has those folds in it. I never seen this origami thing in person, so I don't know if it stays stiff when not folded. It must be stiff, so I can use 3 fingers to hold it. Hard to explain, but I have the thumb in the front, the index finger in between the cover and the rest of the hand behind. That makes it easy to grab for me without getting strain in my wrist. So I'll have to wait and see whats out at the time. Unfortunately the flips I have for the PW do not have the magnet so I have to use the power button.

But first I have to get the Voyage and with all of you pre-ordering all the stock, it might be 2015 before I get my hands on it.  :p

#5 ·
The origami covers, if like the ones for the Fires, are NOT stiff when not against the device. BUT they would be stiff when flipped open, because they magnetically stick to the back of the cover. So, I guess, you open it, it's floppy, but then you flip it to the back and it's not floppy. FWIW, they do hold the device VERY securely.

I was reading the Voyage user guide today and it indicated that having it in a cover will affect how sensitive you need to set both the page turn pressure and haptic response on the bezel page turn 'buttons'.

#6 ·
Ann in Arlington said:
The origami covers, if like the ones for the Fires, are NOT stiff when not against the device. BUT they would be stiff when flipped open, because they magnetically stick to the back of the cover. So, I guess, you open it, it's floppy, but then you flip it to the back and it's not floppy. FWIW, they do hold the device VERY securely.

I was reading the Voyage user guide today and it indicated that having it in a cover will affect how sensitive you need to set both the page turn pressure and haptic response on the bezel page turn 'buttons'.
Hmm, so if I understand this correctly, it tries to stick to the back side of the cover if flipped open. So if I use that as I use a flip cover, it wouldn't work. It would constantly try to stick itself to the back, when I need to have a finger in there somewhere? The flip part needs to be firm-ish for that to work so I can hold on to the cover at the same time as I am holding on the the front part with the device in it. I am just really bad at explaining how I hold these types of covers. Little finger, next to little and middle finger would be behind the flip part, which would techniclaly be the part where the soft screen protector fabric is. Index fingers is then in between the back flip and the front and the thumb is at the bezel of the device. All fingers gentle press to keep it all together. If the back flip, or front cover back flipped is floppy, that wouldn't work.

Will have to find another flip top cover then once I get the Voyage. Sadly I liked the idea of the magnet holding type cover like the origami as other covers, like the official PW one is so tight in, I have a really hard time to get the device back out when I need to without damaging my PW. Its another reason I didn't use it again.

I may have to read nekkid if its getting to be hard to find a proper cover. ;D

#7 ·
Of course I can't be sure, but it might work for you.  I just played a bit with my Fire in an origami cover, and the magnet is strong but not so strong that you can't put a finger or two between the back and the cover folded back.  Now, it hinges on the left side, but if I put the thing in landscape position it hinges at the top. And I can, just, hold it with one hand with some fingers against the back and one or two outside the flipped over cover. It would be easier if it was in portrait position and a lighter device.

I'd say wait till you get the thing and then maybe try it.  You'll have the 30 day period to try it and return it if it doesn't work.

#11 ·
#12 ·
That Poetic one does look interesting but like you, I'd need to see more photos before I decided. Heckuva price though, at currently $10 bucks ($4.95 plus $4.95 shipping, no Prime).

#13 ·
I'm still not convinced by the Amazon cover, even though they have always been so good in the past, if a bit on the expensive side.

I like the look of the Belkin one, it looks a lot thinner than the Incipio one which seems to more than double the thickness of the Kindle, with a very wide spine that wouldn't fold back easily. The one thing I DO like about the Amazon cover is that, unlike all the others I've seen so far, it doesn't have an actual hole in the back cover for the on/off button, but it looks like a thinner covering that still allows you to press the button underneath.

I did order the Amazon cover, but on a separate order to the Voyage, so I can cancel it if I want to, without affecting the Kindle order.

Question: Can I try the cover out for thirty days, or that just for the devices?

#15 ·
Linjeakel said:
I'm still not convinced by the Amazon cover, even though they have always been so good in the past, if a bit on the expensive side.

I like the look of the Belkin one, it looks a lot thinner than the Incipio one which seems to more than double the thickness of the Kindle, with a very wide spine that wouldn't fold back easily. The one thing I DO like about the Amazon cover is that, unlike all the others I've seen so far, it doesn't have an actual hole in the back cover for the on/off button, but it looks like a thinner covering that still allows you to press the button underneath.

I did order the Amazon cover, but on a separate order to the Voyage, so I can cancel it if I want to, without affecting the Kindle order.

Question: Can I try the cover out for thirty days, or that just for the devices?
In the US, at least, the 30 days is for anything you buy from Amazon.

#17 ·
Poetic has another one up now. This is the exact same style as the one I have on my Nexus 7 and iPad. It's a very nice, slim case and it does have the auto wake feature.

http://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00NQI9QO4/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=2GZ5ETTXZZM85&coliid=I1XHO56PBCZICP&psc=1

One thing I do like about the Amazon official case is it appears the Voyage sits in it so it is raised up a little making it free from the sides of the case. Thus making it so your hand can freely rest on the page turn buttons without the side of the case getting in the way. At least that's how it appears in the pics. I'm hoping other cases might be like that too.

#18 ·
#20 ·
Ann in Arlington said:
The one called 'tree'? I like that as well . . . . guess I'll keep waiting. :)
I've sent a message to the company asking them if it will be available for the Voyage.

Betsy

#21 ·
Betsy the Quilter said:
Thanks for this--I'm a big fan of Poetic. I'd have liked the black and white swirly pattern to be available for the Voyage, though. Oh, well.....
I noticed the patterns weren't available, a shame. I have that swirl one for my Nexus 7, it's nice! It's possible they may add it. :) I also have 3 of the simple colored ones for my iPad and other devices and the colors are so pretty. I have the lavender, pink, and the sky blue color. The sky blue is my favorite. They are amazingly accurate color wise as to what shows on my monitor and really lovely.

#22 ·
I had the Poetic butterfly case for my iPad Mini and it was my favorite case/cover, until I realized I really prefer the smart cover that I can take off when I'm holding the Mini, and put back on when I want to protect the screen.  Definitely a fan of the Poetic brand though.

#24 ·
#25 ·
sparklemotion said:
One thing I do like about the Amazon official case is it appears the Voyage sits in it so it is raised up a little making it free from the sides of the case. Thus making it so your hand can freely rest on the page turn buttons without the side of the case getting in the way. At least that's how it appears in the pics. I'm hoping other cases might be like that too.
I am going to out on a limb here, with some of my theories about Kindle Voyage page turn "squeeze sensors" vs covers. First off, one thing to remember is the back of the Kindle Voyage is not flat like the previous Paperwhite back was. It has the same type of back as a Kindle Fire HDX. Now the official Amazon origami cover has a form fitted back that magnetically attaches to the KV perfectly with no gaps. Remember I said page turn squeeze sensors on the Kindle Voyage, so that means pressure from the front and back to activate the sensor. If a cover has a flat back, there could be some space between the cover and the Kindle Voyage back. That could cause a spongy feel to the page turn sensors. Now here is where i am really going to go out on the limb. I think if you use a book type cover, it could pretty much disable the left side page turn sensors on the Kindle Voyage, if the cover is folded behind. This would be caused by the extra gaps created by the folded cover. Cover design could determine how well the page turn sensors work on the Kindle Voyage.

#26 ·
CAR said:
I am going to out on a limb here with some of my theories about Kindle Voyage page turn "squeeze sensors" vs covers. First off, one thing to remember is the back of the Kindle Voyage is not flat like the previous Paperwhite back was. It has the same type of back as a Kindle Fire HDX. Now the official Amazon origami cover has a form fitted back that magnetically attaches to the KV perfectly with no gaps. Remember I said page turn squeeze sensors on the Kindle Voyage, so that means pressure from the front and back to activate the sensor. If a cover has a flat back, there will be some space between the cover and the Kindle Voyage back. That could cause a spongy feel to the page turn sensors. Now here is where i am really going to go out on the limb. I think if you use a book type cover, it could pretty much disable the left side page turn sensors on the Kindle Voyage, if the cover is folded behind. This would be caused by the extra gaps created by the folded cover. Cover design could determine how well the page turn sensors work on the Kindle Voyage.
I think this analysis and conclusion has merit. In fact, on the page, it pretty much says that the page turn sensors will feel differently if the device is used in a cover. I think we'll just have to wait and see.

In the mean time, I picked up an inexpensive sleeve that I think will work well for me. I like that it has an extra pocket on both the front and back that I can slip my cell phone into. Closure is a thong that wraps around a couple of buttons. I anticipate being able to read comfortably with no cover but need something to protect the screen when it's in my purse.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.