Author Topic: Kindle Voyage Cover  (Read 88884 times)  

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Laugh Loud. Run Fast. Be Kind.
    • View Profile
Re: Kindle Voyage Cover
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2014, 12:30:37 PM »
I am going to out on a limb here with some of my theories about Kindle Voyage page turn "squeeze sensors" vs covers.   First off, one thing to remember is the back of the Kindle Voyage is not flat like the previous Paperwhite back was.  It has the same type of back as a Kindle Fire HDX.  Now the official Amazon origami cover has a form fitted back that magnetically attaches to the KV perfectly with no gaps.  Remember I said page turn squeeze sensors on the Kindle Voyage, so that means pressure from the front and back to activate the sensor.  If a cover has a flat back,  there will be some space between the cover and the Kindle Voyage back.  That could cause a spongy feel to the page turn sensors.  Now here is where i am really going to go out on the limb.  I think if you use a book type cover, it could pretty much disable the left side page turn sensors on the Kindle Voyage, if the cover is folded behind.  This would be caused by the extra gaps created by the folded cover.  Cover design could determine how well the page turn sensors work on the Kindle Voyage.

I think this analysis and conclusion has merit.  In fact, on the page, it pretty much says that the page turn sensors will feel differently if the device is used in a cover.  I think we'll just have to wait and see.

In the mean time, I picked up an inexpensive sleeve  that I think will work well for me. I like that it has an extra pocket on both the front and back that I can slip my cell phone into. Closure is a thong that wraps around a couple of buttons. I anticipate being able to read comfortably with no cover but need something to protect the screen when it's in my purse.

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)
S7Edge (KApp for Android)
Galaxy (KApp for Android)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR

Offline DawnB

• California, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2014, 09:12:56 PM »
I don't like the new Amazon covers so I decided to get the Belkin Folio for Kindle Voyage. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IU7CC60

I keep my Kindle on a stand (http://levostore.com/products/levo-g2-table-clamp) when at home so I need a book style cover.

Offline rlkubi

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2014, 05:47:09 AM »
It is irritating to me that they don't have many choices.  I'm scheduled to get the Voyage on 10/21 but cases in November :(.  We are traveling on the 24th for 10 days so need a case :(.  I don't like the Amazon case unfortunately plus too expensive.  I want something with sleep/wake function in a bright blue or pretty color.  I know - I'm asking for the world.

Offline Toby

• MA
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2014, 11:00:45 AM »
I am thinking of cancelling my Amazon's covers for the Voyage & the Fire 6", mainly because of the weight of the covers. Also, as both Carr & Ann said, I might have to adjust thr sensor/page press on the Voyage for when in a cover & without a cover. I do like the pretty colors & the design of the case & the magnet to let you easily place & remove the cover, however.

Offline Toby

• MA
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2014, 11:40:33 AM »
Ann, I ordered the Bear sleeve. I'm not sure how the thong is going to work out for me. I"ll see. Em had posted a link somewhere to sleeves. They are nice too.

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Laugh Loud. Run Fast. Be Kind.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 06, 2014, 12:32:37 PM »
Ann, I ordered the Bear sleeve. I'm not sure how the thong is going to work out for me. I"ll see. Em had posted a link somewhere to sleeves. They are nice too.

There were some other sleeves as well. . . .but this was the only one I really liked that was showing as available now. A couple others are supposed to be available the end of October, but as I'm getting the thing on the 21st I need something I can use right away.

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)
S7Edge (KApp for Android)
Galaxy (KApp for Android)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR

Offline CAR

• Los Angeles, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 06, 2014, 06:30:50 PM »
It is irritating to me that they don't have many choices.  I'm scheduled to get the Voyage on 10/21 but cases in November :(.  We are traveling on the 24th for 10 days so need a case :(.  I don't like the Amazon case unfortunately plus too expensive.  I want something with sleep/wake function in a bright blue or pretty color.  I know - I'm asking for the world.

Here is a nice case in bright blue, with sleep wake and its $7.99    http://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00NQNI4HO  But it will not be available until Nov 20.

Here is another cover in bright blue, with sleep wake and its $9.90  It is available now  :)  http://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00NOLKT76
« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 06:35:56 PM by CAR »

K2US v2.5.7 / 2x(One is SO)K3 White 3G/Wi-Fi + Oberon Bold Celtic in Black / 2x PW2 3G W/O / Voyage 3G W/O / PW3 3G W/O / Oasis 3g W/O

Offline CAR

• Los Angeles, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 06, 2014, 06:47:44 PM »
I am thinking of cancelling my Amazon's covers for the Voyage & the Fire 6", mainly because of the weight of the covers. Also, as both Carr & Ann said, I might have to adjust thr sensor/page press on the Voyage for when in a cover & without a cover. I do like the pretty colors & the design of the case & the magnet to let you easily place & remove the cover, however.

Looks like the Kindle Voyage w/ the Leather Origami cover will be about 1.8 ounces less then a Paperwhite with the Amazon cover.  Also a note here: my opinion at this point is that with the Amazon cover you will not have to adjust the page sensor.    3rd party will be another story ;)
« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 06:52:32 PM by CAR »

K2US v2.5.7 / 2x(One is SO)K3 White 3G/Wi-Fi + Oberon Bold Celtic in Black / 2x PW2 3G W/O / Voyage 3G W/O / PW3 3G W/O / Oasis 3g W/O

Offline rlkubi

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 06, 2014, 07:01:11 PM »
Car, I actually ordered the second one but it isn't going to be here until 10/30-11/18 because coming from China :(.  The problem is I need a case before the cruise.  I will just end up with two.  I ordered the incipito Journal cover but it doesn't have the sleep/wake function which I really want.  Guess I can't have everything!  LOL

Offline CAR

• Los Angeles, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 06, 2014, 07:20:10 PM »
Car, I actually ordered the second one but it isn't going to be here until 10/30-11/18 because coming from China :(.  The problem is I need a case before the cruise.  I will just end up with two.  I ordered the incipito Journal cover but it doesn't have the sleep/wake function which I really want.  Guess I can't have everything!  LOL
Hope you get the cover you want before your trip!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Offline rlkubi

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 06, 2014, 07:22:10 PM »
I just don't want to have to pay $60 for the cover :(

Offline Toby

• MA
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 06, 2014, 08:12:44 PM »
     CAR, thanks for your response. I couldn't bring myself to cancel the covers. I do wish that the covers weighed less. I Looked at the weight at both the Voyage & the Fire 6" covers & the weight is less for the Fire. I could always use the sleeve when taking out my Voyage.
     Ann, I had a pretty pink Bear cover years ago, I think for my original Fire. Great quality. Loved it, but the cover design made it too bulky to put in pocketbook.

Offline rlkubi

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 06, 2014, 08:22:09 PM »
Thanks Car!!!  I will get the Incipio at least for the trip :)

Offline bordercollielady

• Westminster, CO
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 08, 2014, 09:21:26 AM »
I'm curious to see if it will fit into any of my old Oberon covers.  Don't like the new Amazon one..  If it doesn't fit - I'll probably buy a new Oberon.

Offline CAR

• Los Angeles, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 08, 2014, 05:18:30 PM »
I'm curious to see if it will fit into any of my old Oberon covers.  Don't like the new Amazon one..  If it doesn't fit - I'll probably buy a new Oberon.

If you have a older Oberon Kindle cover with the Velcro, it may work.   I think a custom Oberon sleeve would be perfect for the Kindle Voyage.  8)

Also once folks actually see the Amazon cover, it may change some opinions.  Time will tell, the price is high for sure.  But I think the design and usability may be a lot better, then some are thinking now.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2014, 09:26:36 PM by CAR »

Offline Toby

• MA
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 08, 2014, 06:32:20 PM »
I got the Bear sleeve today. Awesome. It's well made. They even included a free leather thong piece. It was easy to wrap aroud a button & it stayed. I took out my basic K5 out today.worked out great. I put my PW in the sleeve tonight & it fits.

Offline loonlover

• Arkansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 08, 2014, 09:01:12 PM »
I also got my Bear sleeve today. Looks like it will work very well.

Offline Toby

• MA
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 09, 2014, 05:56:51 PM »
Loonlover - Hope you love it.
I decided to cancel my amazon cover orders. I'm loving the lighter weight & smaller size with my kindle in the sleeve than in a cover. Plus now I get to see the black besel of the kindle to contrast against the screen. I can always order them later.

Offline Toby

• MA
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 10, 2014, 06:58:00 PM »
I had cancelled the amazon covers last night. I noticed that my Fire HD6 is not listed amoung my devices on a book's page, or my MYD  so I checked to make sure that Amazon didn't cancel my Fire's order. They didn't, but now the device isn't registered in my name. I can always register it myself when the Fire arrives next week. It's very weird.

Offline Meemo

• NW Florida
  • KB Member #43
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 10, 2014, 09:12:26 PM »
I had cancelled the amazon covers last night. I noticed that my Fire HD6 is not listed amoung my devices on a book's page, or my MYD  so I checked to make sure that Amazon didn't cancel my Fire's order. They didn't, but now the device isn't registered in my name. I can always register it myself when the Fire arrives next week. It's very weird.

Hmmm, you made me look, and my HD6 isn't showing up in MYD now either.  It was there before, I'd even renamed it.  Very strange.
Kindling since August 2008, 1st gen Oasis, PW2, 2 Fire HD6s, iPad Mini

Offline Toby

• MA
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 11, 2014, 06:48:07 PM »
That's strange. I'm glad you told me. Since you didn't order a cover, & I did, it's not because of the covers, in my case. I wonder what's going on?

Offline MagicalWingLT

• Brick, NJ
  • Reading Amanda Ashley, and Christine Feehan Books.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 14, 2014, 04:52:18 PM »
A lot of the cases and covers have been pushed to mid November for shipping. Poetic Cases as a example, before was saying Oct 21st and it's November 14th now. Good thing I ordered mine in time. Both my cases say Oct 29th-30th.

(Make your own reading bar)A Kindle 1, 3 (Keyboard), and Paperwhite owner. I just love reading romance novels :P

Offline Meemo

• NW Florida
  • KB Member #43
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 14, 2014, 04:56:05 PM »
That's strange. I'm glad you told me. Since you didn't order a cover, & I did, it's not because of the covers, in my case. I wonder what's going on?

Mine has shipped, but still doesn't show in My Devices - but now that I think about it, it makes sense, because IIRC I don't think the Fires come registered, do they?  I seem to recall having to register both of mine when they arrived (although that's been a couple of years now).  Maybe the fact that they appeared in My Devices at all was an error? 

Offline Toby

• MA
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 14, 2014, 07:15:59 PM »
No. They came registered even the 1 time when I clicked the gift button so it wouldn't be registered to my account. My Fire is still not showing up amoung my devices either.

Offline Meemo

• NW Florida
  • KB Member #43
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 14, 2014, 08:21:22 PM »
Yeah, I got the "Welcome to the HD 6" email and it mentioned that it would be registered.  Still not showing in My Devices, though, even though it's shipped.