Author Topic: Kindle Voyage Cover  (Read 88831 times)  

Offline JosieGirl71

• View Profile
Re: Kindle Voyage Cover
« Reply #50 on: October 15, 2014, 11:20:28 AM »
I think this analysis and conclusion has merit.  In fact, on the page, it pretty much says that the page turn sensors will feel differently if the device is used in a cover.  I think we'll just have to wait and see.

In the mean time, I picked up an inexpensive sleeve  that I think will work well for me. I like that it has an extra pocket on both the front and back that I can slip my cell phone into. Closure is a thong that wraps around a couple of buttons. I anticipate being able to read comfortably with no cover but need something to protect the screen when it's in my purse.

I also ordered this sleeve.  Will need to get an actual case/cover for it but I won't know what kind of case to get until I can actually hold the Voyage and use it.

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Laugh Loud. Run Fast. Be Kind.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 15, 2014, 11:22:25 AM »
I also ordered this sleeve.  Will need to get an actual case/cover for it but I won't know what kind of case to get until I can actually hold the Voyage and use it.

I don't plan on using an additional cover. Though I did do a test with my current PW and it actually fits in that sleeve with the cover it has -- one of the fintie ones.  That might change when I actually get the thing, of course. :)

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)
S7Edge (KApp for Android)
Galaxy (KApp for Android)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR

Offline Toby

• MA
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 15, 2014, 07:31:39 PM »
Same here.

Offline jlee745

• Fantasyland
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 21, 2014, 07:30:38 AM »
I'm curious to see if it will fit into any of my old Oberon covers.  Don't like the new Amazon one..  If it doesn't fit - I'll probably buy a new Oberon.
Please let me know if it works for you. I am putting off ordering the Voyage cause I just received the pw2 last yr with oberon case for Christmas and feel
like I need to wait another yr b4 getting a new one but if that case will work I might change my mind.

Offline Kathy

• Lighthouse Point, FL
  • Member 376
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 21, 2014, 08:18:54 AM »

In the mean time, I picked up an inexpensive sleeve  that I think will work well for me. I like that it has an extra pocket on both the front and back that I can slip my cell phone into. Closure is a thong that wraps around a couple of buttons. I anticipate being able to read comfortably with no cover but need something to protect the screen when it's in my purse.

I like this. I wonder what size phone it would hold?

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 21, 2014, 09:04:08 AM »
I like this. I wonder what size phone it would hold?

I have a RAZR MAXX which is larger than average and it fits just fine. There's a pocket on the back that it fits in perfectly, and there's a little more room in the front pocket under the button. One of the larger of the new iPhones would probably fit -- but I can't be sure.

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR

Offline Betsy the Quilter

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
  • Administrator
  • Alexandria, VA
  • Love all, moderate all, to quote my friend Harvey
    • View Profile
    • Betsy True Designs
« Reply #56 on: October 21, 2014, 09:11:24 AM »
I like the looks of the sleeve, Ann.

One thought--if you use the front pocket for your phone, I'd recommend placing the back of the phone facing to the outside.  That button could be a pressure point against a screen, even though the sleeve looks like thick felt.  (I have a sleeve two of my devices fit in--I generally put them screen to screen to protect each other.)

I avoid putting buttons on the sleeves I make for this reason.  Maybe an excess of caution, but....

;)

Betsy
Goodreads Goal -- 75 books

Joined 10/27/2008  | Miss you, Harvey, Jeff & Dona!
Harvey Chute (1962-2015), KB Founder

Proud Owner: Oasis/Voyage/Touch/Basic/K1/Fire HDX
Betsy True Designs Facebook | My Store

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 21, 2014, 09:18:37 AM »
I like the looks of the sleeve, Ann.

One thought--if you use the front pocket for your phone, I'd recommend placing the back of the phone facing to the outside.  That button could be a pressure point against a screen, even though the sleeve looks like thick felt.  (I have a sleeve two of my devices fit in--I generally put them screen to screen to protect each other.)

I avoid putting buttons on the sleeves I make for this reason.  Maybe an excess of caution, but....

;)

Betsy

Actually I was just thinking that as I was trying out how my phone fit for Kathy. I'll probably use the back pocket for the phone and maybe put my spare charger in the front pocket. :)

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)

Offline JosieGirl71

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 21, 2014, 03:44:13 PM »
I have an iPhone 5s and it fits easily in either pocket.

Offline Kathy

• Lighthouse Point, FL
  • Member 376
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 21, 2014, 05:50:53 PM »
Actually I was just thinking that as I was trying out how my phone fit for Kathy. I'll probably use the back pocket for the phone and maybe put my spare charger in the front pocket. :)

I have the iPhone 5s right now so that would work. Thanks for checking.I received the Belkin cover today and don't like it right now. It it plastic. I have the Amazon Paperwhite cover and I was hoping it would be more like it. It's not. The feel just isn't the same. I'll watch the review on the Voyage cover but the sleeve is more appealing to me than the top flip cover.

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: October 22, 2014, 10:29:34 AM »
So, I popped in to Best Buy today while out running errands. They didn't seem to have any Voyage devices in stock -- or, at least none on display, though the new basic kindle was there. The DID have some of the covers for the Voyage, so I got permission to try one out with my kindle. (I probably didn't have to ask, the guy seemed fairly clueless about Kindles, but I didn't want anyone to see me putting the thing in a cover and then taking it out and putting it back in my purse! :o )

ANYWAY . . . . . It fits nicely, and stands nicely, is not too uncomfortable to hold, and the auto wake works well.  But I really REALLY did not like that it's a top flip open rather than a 'book' open. I found it awkward to open and close. The only one they had was the black plastic.  The plastic felt a little cheap compared to the leather Fire cover I have -- presumably the leather Voyage cover would be nicer, and of course I don't want black anyway.

Conclusion: I'll probably not get the Amazon cover. I might go with it for a while if it was 5 or 10 bucks but for $45 to $60 they're absolutely not worth it. I checked out some reviews at Amazon and a lot of folks are saying the same thing, as well as that it adds a lot of weight.  The extra weight didn't bother me, I could have gotten used to the 'feel' but the top open was the deal breaker for me. :(
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 07:06:27 PM by Ann in Arlington »

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)

Offline Kathy

• Lighthouse Point, FL
  • Member 376
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 22, 2014, 01:34:03 PM »
Thanks Ann for the review. The top opening is what I didn't like. I also don't want a plastic feeling cover. That is what I don't like about the Belkin cover I received. I'm going to wait until I get mine and see how I like it in the cover before buying anything else.

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
  • Administrator
  • Alexandria, VA
    • View Profile
    • Betsy True Designs
« Reply #62 on: October 23, 2014, 06:42:17 AM »
I've ordered this cover, $10 including shipping.

Originally, the color/pattern I liked best wasn't available for the Voyage, but I was just looking at it with an eye to post about it here and saw that the black and white was available now!  So I ordered it.  Won't come until the beginning of November, but I'll post about it when I get it.  It's available in several colors and patterns.  EDIT:  I shoud have added, the product page does say it will autowake the Voyage.

I have a Poetic cover for my Fire HDX 8.9 and really like it.  And the company is very responsive.

Betsy
« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 07:18:17 AM by Betsy the Quilter »

Offline Susan J

• Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 23, 2014, 06:50:27 AM »

I do like that one, Betsy,  and the white one with the butterfly.  It says that it is a snap on cover which would be really nice since the slide in cover that I use for my PW would cover the side sensors.  I don't have a lot of strength in my arthritic fingers and don't want to add an additional layer that would make it harder to press.

Online loonlover

• Arkansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 23, 2014, 06:57:32 AM »

Originally, the color/pattern I liked best wasn't available for the Voyage, but I was just looking at it with an eye to post about it here and saw that the black and white was available now!  So I ordered it.  Won't come until the beginning of November, but I'll post about it when I get it.  It's available in several colors and patterns.

I have a Poetic cover for my Fire HDX 8.9 and really like it.  And the company is very responsive.

Betsy

This does look good. I'm returning the Belkin. At the moment I have the Voyage in the Belkin cover I used on the basic Kindle. A little awkward reaching the power button, but the reader is held securely in place.

Offline Kathy

• Lighthouse Point, FL
  • Member 376
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 23, 2014, 07:02:17 AM »
Does it wake up the Voyage automatically? Have you received it yet?

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 23, 2014, 07:06:45 AM »

Originally, the color/pattern I liked best wasn't available for the Voyage, but I was just looking at it with an eye to post about it here and saw that the black and white was available now!  So I ordered it.  Won't come until the beginning of November, but I'll post about it when I get it.  It's available in several colors and patterns.

Betsy

I saw that the other day, but was undecided.  I'm glad you decided to be the guinea pig: we'll have to get together after it arrives so I can see if I like it. :D

Meanwhile, I'm trying to work out if I can fashion some sort of insert that will hold my V securely, but not too tightly in my spare PW case and still let the auto-wake feature work. I'm thinking some sort of foam.  Must talk with The Husband. ::)

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)

Offline Eltanin Publishing

• Charlotte, VT
  • Cathy Ryan - Editor-in-Chief
    • View Profile
    • Eltanin Publishing
« Reply #67 on: October 23, 2014, 07:15:31 AM »
Meanwhile, I'm trying to work out if I can fashion some sort of insert that will hold my V securely, but not too tightly in my spare PW case and still let the auto-wake feature work. I'm thinking some sort of foam.  Must talk with The Husband. ::)

Are you saying the auto wake feature in your PW cover is working for the V, or no? From playing with a magnet, it seems like the sensor is just to the right of the kindle logo at the bottom of the screen. I don't have my PW with me, but I thought the sensor for that was on the right edge, near the magnet that kept the Amazon cover closed.

• Administrator
  • Alexandria, VA
    • View Profile
    • Betsy True Designs
« Reply #68 on: October 23, 2014, 07:16:02 AM »
Does it wake up the Voyage automatically? Have you received it yet?

As I said, it won't come til the beginning of November. :D  The web page says it WILL wake up the Voyage automatically.  I should have mentioned that--I wouldn't have ordered it otherwise.

Ann--I have not been able to get the autowake to work with my PW case, even though I use it with the V as a kind of "sleeve" when I'm carrying in my purse.  Have you?  I've tried various placements, and even just laying it down on the cover facedown.

Betsy
« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 07:17:34 AM by Betsy the Quilter »

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 23, 2014, 07:19:51 AM »
Are you saying the auto wake feature in your PW cover is working for the V, or no? From playing with a magnet, it seems like the sensor is just to the right of the kindle logo at the bottom of the screen. I don't have my PW with me, but I thought the sensor for that was on the right edge, near the magnet that kept the Amazon cover closed.

Ann--I have not been able to get the autowake to work with my PW case, even though I use it with the V as a kind of "sleeve" when I'm carrying in my purse.  Have you?  I've tried various placements, and even just laying it down on the cover facedown.

Betsy

No it doesn't. But I'm thinking that's because of the thinner-ness of the V. If there was a piece of foam in the case so that the V sat higher, I think it might work. Betsy -- maybe you could try with some fabric or something? Cardboard maybe? (Rats: just put a piece in recycle that would have been perfect.)

Anyway, it shouldn't be very expensive to do some experimenting. :) The V is also shorter so there'd need to be some foam at the top so it didn't slide in the case, too. The width is fine.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 07:22:42 AM by Ann in Arlington »

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)

• Administrator
  • Alexandria, VA
    • View Profile
    • Betsy True Designs
« Reply #70 on: October 23, 2014, 07:24:39 AM »
No it doesn't. But I'm thinking that's because of the thinner-ness of the V. If there was a piece of foam in the case so that the V sat higher, I think it might work. Betsy -- maybe you could try with some fabric or something? Cardboard maybe? (Rats: just put a piece in recycle that would have been perfect.)

Anyway, it shouldn't be very expensive to do some experimenting. :) The V is also shorter so there'd need to be some foam at the top so it didn't slide in the case, too. The width is fine.

Well, I've tried just by laying it on the cover of the Paperwhite case (see my last post) and couldn't get it to work....I think the magnet placement is different, just as EP says...  Experimenting with a magnet now.

EDIT:  The magnet in the PW cover is in the far right corner (cover closed) and that's what activates the PW when I move the magnet there.  The magnet on the V seems to be about a 1/4" to the right of the Kindle logo.

Betsy
« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 07:33:17 AM by Betsy the Quilter »

• Administrator
  • Alexandria, VA
    • View Profile
    • Betsy True Designs
Kindle Voyage Cover
« Reply #71 on: October 23, 2014, 07:37:04 AM »

Here's a pic.  The blue dot in the corner is a magnet attracted to the magnet in the PW cover.  Placed for the picture to show the location.

I taped on a magnet in the right place for the  V to autowake, you can see it in the pic.  The blue magnet wasn't there when I tested...the taped on magnet works.  So, if you add some foam to the top, and glue or tape a magnet on, you'll get a working cover.

Note that while the width is almost right, the V will fall out of the case if jostled enough--I'd add something to the side.  But note that if you get the V in the case too securely, you won't be able to hit the power button--so the magnet becomes even more important.

Betsy

OOPS!  Must have been holding the iPhone upside down....will fix, back in a minute.  Posting via Tapatalk means I can't preview.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 07:42:54 AM by Betsy the Quilter »

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 23, 2014, 07:41:09 AM »

I taped on a magnet in the right place for the  V to autowake, you can see it in the pic.  The blue magnet wasn't there when I tested...the taped on magnet works.  So, if you add some foam to the top, and glue or tape a magnet on, you'll get a working cover.

Note that while the width is almost right, the V will fall out of the case if jostled enough--I'd add something to the side.  But note that if you get the V in the case to securely, you won't be able to hit the power button--so the magnet becomes even more important.

Betsy

OOPS!  Must have been holding the iPhone upside down....will fix, back in a minute.  Posting via Tapatalk means I can't preview.

O.K. Good to know all that.  And good point about the power button.  Will keep thinking on it. :)

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)

Offline chocochibi

• Little Rock, AR USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 23, 2014, 08:54:20 AM »
I'm probably going to try to not use a cover when I get mine. (It'll be a while, I only ordered it 2 days ago and it says December 1st). If I decide I need a cover after I use it, I'll probably try one of the ones Betsy is getting. By then they'll be out and I'll be able to see reviews of them. Unless of course there's a miracle and I get ny Voyage MUCH sooner that they estimate. (Hey, I can hope). If I need any enabling to get a cover, I know I can always get that here :D

Offline Meemo

• NW Florida
  • KB Member #43
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 23, 2014, 09:09:56 AM »
Betsy,  I had that cover for my iPad Mini and it was my favorite by far - until I figured out that I really prefer no cover except the smart cover that I can remove. I'm that way with all my stuff now - Kindles and iPads and now my 6" Fire. But I loved that Poetic butterfly case. Very lightweight. Not leather but felt nice - very smooth but not slippery.
Kindling since August 2008, 1st gen Oasis, PW2, 2 Fire HD6s, iPad Mini

Buy Scrivener for Windows or Mac