Need Perfect Gift? Shop Amazon Gift Cards. Any Occasion.

Author Topic: Kindle Fire 7 HD Crashing  (Read 11884 times)  

Offline skyblue

• View Profile
Kindle Fire 7 HD Crashing
« on: September 24, 2014, 04:18:47 AM »
I have a Kindle Fire 7HD 16GB. It's currently loaded with about 100 books and samples.  When I scroll through the carousel it crashes, turning itself completely off. When I turn it back on, it crashes again.  I have to plug in the charging cord in order for it to stay on, even if I still have sufficient battery life remaining. Once I get to the book I want to read it will stay on.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Time for Pi!
    • View Profile
Re: Kindle Fire 7 HD Crashing
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2014, 04:43:00 AM »
The only thing I can suggest is restart the thing.  If it's still misbehaving, the only other option is to do a factory reset which will clear it out completely, including any personalization.  If that still doesn't work, I'd say contact Kindle CS.  It's likely out of warranty, but they may offer you a discount on a replacement.

Wait -- one other thought -- you could go through your apps via settings and try to figure out if there's something that's running that's causing the problem. You can do a force stop.

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)
S7Edge (KApp for Android)
Galaxy (KApp for Android)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR

Online Betsy the Quilter

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
  • Administrator
  • Alexandria, VA
  • Love all, moderate all, to quote my friend Harvey
    • View Profile
    • Betsy True Designs
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2014, 04:48:22 AM »
I have a Kindle Fire 7HD 16GB. It's currently loaded with about 100 books and samples.  When I scroll through the carousel it crashes, turning itself completely off. When I turn it back on, it crashes again.  I have to plug in the charging cord in order for it to stay on, even if I still have sufficient battery life remaining. Once I get to the book I want to read it will stay on.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

I know it's been crashing, but I would do a couple things.  One, got Settings > Device > Storage and check on your storage space.  Make sure you have enough space. (You should, but it's worth checking.)

Press and hold on the power button until it completely shuts down and then restarts. Then let up.  This does a restart of the device (not a crash and restart) which often clears up problems in the device.

EDIT:  And what Ann said. :D

Betsy

Goodreads Goal -- 75 books

Joined 10/27/2008  | Miss you, Harvey, Jeff & Dona!
Harvey Chute (1962-2015), KB Founder

Proud Owner: Oasis/Voyage/Touch/Basic/K1/Fire HDX
Betsy True Designs Facebook | My Store

Offline skyblue

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2014, 05:56:28 AM »
The only thing I can suggest is restart the thing.  If it's still misbehaving, the only other option is to do a factory reset which will clear it out completely, including any personalization.  If that still doesn't work, I'd say contact Kindle CS.  It's likely out of warranty, but they may offer you a discount on a replacement.

Wait -- one other thought -- you could go through your apps via settings and try to figure out if there's something that's running that's causing the problem. You can do a force stop.

How do I check if something is running in the background?

I have 11.3gb of 12.6gb available, so that shouldn't be an issue.

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Time for Pi!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2014, 05:58:22 AM »
Swipe down from the top and the right-most icon is settings. Tap that and 'applications' should be one of the first few options. It'll show everything running and you can force a stop to anything you choose.

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR

Offline HappyGuy

• Central FL
  • With God, nothing is enough for anything.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2014, 06:01:36 AM »
I recommend a restart at least once a month to clear memory completely. No electronic device (that I know of) completely releases 100% of the memory when an app is turned off. Also, be sure to turn on wifi at least monthly also; Fires like to talk to mother Amazon on occasion.

Speaking of which, I received notification this morning that the OS had updated. I'm showing 13.3.2.6_user_326001820. Anyone else? Where do I find what this update did for me to make my Fire experience so much better (read with sarcasm)?
"From the lips of infants and children you have ordained praise..." Psalms 8:2

Member 342

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Time for Pi!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2014, 06:53:05 AM »

Speaking of which, I received notification this morning that the OS had updated. I'm showing 13.3.2.6_user_326001820. Anyone else? Where do I find what this update did for me to make my Fire experience so much better (read with sarcasm)?

Yes, there was an update that came down last night. I just posted about it in the update thread. :)  General improvements and performance enhancements, so "bug fixes". :)

But, skylue, this does remind me that you should check to see that your HD has the latest software. Folks have reported before that if they kept wireless off and did NOT update their device that eventually it would start acting squirrelly. If you have wireless on fairly often, you probably are up to date, but it wouldn't hurt to check: Fire HD 7 software updates

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)

Offline skyblue

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2014, 08:22:56 AM »
It appears the restart was enough to shock it out of misbehaving!  Thanks for all the help and suggestions! ;D

Offline skyblue

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2014, 11:12:10 PM »
Well, it was a short lived success:(  It won't stay on at 62% without being plugged in.  After trouble shooting with Customer Service, I'm replacing it with the Fire 7 HDX.  Of course it's out of warranty so I only get $50 off.  Two years ago my Kindle Keyboard malfunctioned and I upgraded to the Fire.  It seems to be a two year device for me. 

The rep said my Kindle Fire case won't work with the new HDX 7, so I ordered the Fintie Slim Shell case.  I hope I like it!  ;D

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Time for Pi!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2015, 05:01:00 AM »
I have a question about the Kindle fire HD6 with 6" screen. It looks from pics on Amazon like its about the same size as the Paperwhite though a bit thicker is that about right? Or is it just a bit bigger in general?

Based on the specs on the product pages at Amazon, the HD6 is physically slightly smaller than the PW

PW   6.7" x 4.6" x 0.36"
HD6  6.7" x 4.1" x 0.4"

So, same height and nearly the same thickness, but HD6 is about a half inch shorter. But it's heavier.

PW is 7.2 or 7.6 oz depending on whether or not you have the 3G model
HD6 is 10.1 oz

I think that's going to make the HD6 feel MUCH heavier because of being denser.

Note that the biggest difference is one is a tablet -- color screen, will run apps and has a fairly robust browser -- and one is strictly an eReader -- very high quality b&w eInk screen; no apps and rudimentary browser only.

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)