Author Topic: Kindle Voyage Origami Leather Cover  (Read 14787 times)  

Offline FearIndex

• View Profile
Kindle Voyage Origami Leather Cover
« on: October 24, 2014, 06:05:56 AM »
This is a review of the Kindle Voyage Original Leather Cover from Amazon (in black), also known as Amazon Protective Leather Cover for Kindle Voyage, Black. This is a very literal review of the cover, since at the time of writing my Kindle Voyage is yet to ship. :) Consider it a preview of sorts.

Kindle Voyage Origami Leather Cover comes packaged similar to the Kindle (7th Generation) cover I reviewed earlier. Retail packaging in a plastic bag, shipped in a padded envelope, not a "frustration free" shipping box. I prefer it this way. The cover itself is also very similar in both front and back material, as well as angled rear style and low borders (although the rear is angled different due to different shapes of the readers). If you have held the Kindle (7th Generation) official cover, you know what the Kindle Voyage cover is like in material - and vice-versa. The new covers look a little faux-leather, but in my opinion their appearance and texture is nicer than that of the $69 Kindle 5 official covers with their non-textured leather and seems sturdier too. Paperwhite covers take the quality cake, though.

What sets it apart is the fact that it doesn't open up like a book, but instead opens up towards the top like a pad cover. The front part of the cover can be folded origami-like behind the case to form a stand. The folding top part of the cover feels a little heavier than the non-folding basic Kindle cover (something also suggested by the weight measurements below). Also, Amazon is embossed on the back instead of the front and it has its own little power button push-through. Finally, there is a magnet on the rear, which keeps the top part stuck to the rear when opened all the way, this is a nice touch that means the folding top won't be flailing around when reading. The magnet also plays a role in keeping the stand functionality sturdy.

Frankly, I must say the cover look a little weird, though. This is emphasized by the fact that I don't have a Kindle Voyage to put in it yet. While the official Amazon e-ink Kindle covers always have had a clear, booklike shape, this thing is more floppy than usual due to the adjustable front. The result is somewhat odd. Definitely something to get used to. The material quality is between the $69 Kindle 5 and the Paperwhite covers, with the former lower quality and latter higher quality than the Kindle Voyage Origami Leather Cover. Neither Kindle (7th Generation) or Kindle Voyage covers have the nice metallic parts of the official Paperwhite covers and the leather top/textile inside seem a little lesser quality than the Paperwhite cover, but it is perfectly acceptable quality still. Of course, this also means the new covers are lighter than the old covers, which is a plus, although the Kindle Voyage cover nearly looses this benefit due to the heavier folding top.

The origami folding action works well and stands up sturdy, at least as far as I can judge without a Kindle in it. Easy enough. I have to say I don't get why anyone would need to prop up a Kindle, but then people who knit a lot may disagree and throw pointy sticks at me. Still, the need for propping up a Kindle Voyage seems less than that of video-capable tablets, so I would like Amazon to offer a booklike cover option still, like they do for Kindle (7th Generation) and all past Kindles.

Weight of the Kindle Voyage Original Leather Cover compared to other official Amazon covers (just the covers without Kindles), in grams:

- Kindle Voyage Cover: 133 g
- Kindle (7th Generation) Cover: 107 g
- Kindle Paperwhite Cover: 134 g
- $79/$69 Kindle 4/5 Lighted Cover: 144 g

One more thing: The cover is really tiny. Especially thinner, compared to e.g. Kindle Paperwhite and Kindle (7th Generation) covers.

My Kindle Voyage isn't expected until some time in mid-November, so I'll leave you with some photos.

For larger version (click e.g. Download): http://s1373.photobucket.com/user/fearindex/media/kindle_voyage_origami_leather_cover_1_zpscc689667.jpg.html

For larger version (click e.g. Download): http://s1373.photobucket.com/user/fearindex/media/kindle_voyage_origami_leather_cover_2_zps786d0792.jpg.html

For larger version (click e.g. Download): http://s1373.photobucket.com/user/fearindex/media/kindle_voyage_origami_leather_cover_3_zps401833e0.jpg.html

For larger version (click e.g. Download): http://s1373.photobucket.com/user/fearindex/media/kindle_voyage_origami_leather_cover_4_zps6fd15333.jpg.html

For larger version (click e.g. Download): http://s1373.photobucket.com/user/fearindex/media/kindle_voyage_origami_leather_cover_5_zpscd03fe65.jpg.html

For larger version (click e.g. Download): http://s1373.photobucket.com/user/fearindex/media/kindle_voyage_origami_leather_cover_6_zps7ad129d7.jpg.html

Edit: Fixed a typo.

Offline Toby

• MA
    • View Profile
Re: Kindle Voyage Origami Leather Cover
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2014, 09:19:43 PM »
Thanks for a fantastic review!

Offline FearIndex

• View Profile
Re: Kindle Voyage Origami Leather Cover
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2014, 12:12:11 PM »
Finally got the Kindle Voyage and have to add a note - the origami cover attaches to the Kindle magnetically as well, so it is different from how e.g. Kindle (7th Generation) cover attaches (which attaches by its sides, more traditionally). To remove the Kindle Voyage from the cover, you just push/lift it out. The magnetic latching is very tight, so it won't drop out accidentally. Same magnets of course keep the front cover in place whether closed, opened all the way or standing up. Very nice.

The front of the cover is still, though, quite floppy when operated even with the device inside the cover. I would prefer a book-like cover more, but overall a quality experience. I can live with this. Whether or not I can live with the Kindle Voyage screen is another story and for another day. :)

Buy Scrivener for Windows or Mac