Author Topic: Veteran's Day "Gone, but not forgotten" promotion: call for submissions  (Read 8037 times)  

Offline Vinny OHare

• New York City
    • View Profile
    • Awesomegang
Re: Veteran's Day "Gone, but not forgotten" promotion: call for submissions
« Reply #100 on: November 12, 2014, 09:50:32 AM »
Next year we will do better. Getting 5k in visits to a brand new page isn't too shabby at all. Looks like next year we have a focus with Facebook and Twitter and focus less on G+ and Linkedin or maybe adjust strategies for those. My mind is full of ideas that can help for next year. I am thinking we need a permanent page on each author sites that can be optimized now and lead to one place by changing a link on that page every year to where the authors are. Just a thought.     

Offline Wayne Stinnett

• "I'm just a peckerwood who lives in the hills with too many guns."
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #101 on: November 12, 2014, 10:27:14 AM »
That's some really good data, Pete. Over 4K retailer link clicks and 5K visits? That's phenomenal in the short time we had to put it together and market it. I agree with Vinny, next year we'll do far better. We should start planning in early October, maybe limit it to 20 or 30 submissions for greater effect. With Facebook being the largest referrer, we should think about putting some money together to do paid Facebook blasts. If each book submitted paid a flat dollar amount and all of that was used for advertising, the results will be much better.
NINC President-Elect. My Amazon Bestselling, twelve-volume Jesse McDermitt Series and the spinoff,  four-volume Charity Styles Series, also Amazon Bestsellers, are available in ebook, audiobook, and paperback, with many more exciting adventures to come. In my motivational non-fiction, Blue Collar to No Collar, I provide tips, advice, and strategies for new authors, and is also available in the same formats. Don't forget to visit the Ship's Store for Jesse McDermitt swag.
Semper Fi,
Wayne Stinnett | Website | Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Amazon Author Page | Motivational Videos | Down Island Press | Ship's Store Swag

Offline susan_illene

• Oklahoma
    • View Profile
    • Susan Illene
« Reply #102 on: November 12, 2014, 10:47:31 AM »
I agree with the others that Pete did a fantastic job putting this fundraiser together, especially under the time constraints.  Great work, Pete!

For sales, it looks like some are still coming in for me.  B&N is reporting late so a sale on Darkness Haunts just showed up for yesterday.  I'm going to wait until tomorrow just to be safe before tallying the totals and donating.  It's very rare I see anything new once 24 hours have passed from the date.

About Facebook ads, I did spend $10 to boost the announcement on my author page.  It linked to my website and the details I'd posted there. I think it helped get more eyes on the fundraiser.  Certainly something to consider for next year.

Susan Illene | Blog | Facebook

Offline Gail Hart

• Texas, y'all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: November 12, 2014, 11:32:05 AM »
I agree - considering this was put together so late (only a week in advance), the results were very satisfactory! I'll be happy to participate again next year, and hopefully my sales will be better.

Gail

Gail Hart | website | Facebook | Twitter

Offline Piers Platt

• New York
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: November 12, 2014, 11:45:39 AM »
I netted 5 sales...I haven't been in this game long enough to know why, but my sales have been slumping something awful since August.  KU effect?  Who knows.  Anyway, I'm going to donate more than that!

Concur with all of the above sentiments - would love to participate next year (if you'll have me), will pitch in on any pooled ad funds, and most of all, big props to Pete for the idea and hard work.  Was nice to be part of a team promoting OUR books, and for good causes, as well.

Piers Platt My Newsletter My Website

Offline john podlaski

• Sterling Heights, MI
    • View Profile
    • Cherries - A Vietnam War Novel
« Reply #105 on: November 12, 2014, 12:38:11 PM »
Unfortunately, Cherries - A Vietnam War Novel did not perform as well as expected for the Veteran's Day event - selling only 5 copies with royalties less than $15.  As a result, I will pledge a total of $50 to the Vietnam Veterans of America, Chapter 154.  As I understand it, I'm to write / mail a check for this amount and scan the receipt - posting it here?  I wish we could have done better.  Let me know when planning another similar event.  Thanks!

Offline ThePete

• Florida swamp rat lost in Germany
  • "[Expletive Deleted]"
    • View Profile
    • Freelance Copyeditor and Independent Author
« Reply #106 on: November 12, 2014, 12:58:00 PM »
Got a new thread for the AAR: http://www.kboards.com/index.php?topic=200766.msg2809014#msg2809014

Don't pull your punches! We need to go over this event with a fine-tooth comb for next year. I'd like to add Memorial Day to the calendar as well.
If you don't want to say something publicly, just shoot me a PM. After pledging your money and investing your time, I think everyone's earned the right to vent if they need to! I won't take it personally. ;)
Freelance Copy Editor and Author Since 2013
Website | Kboard's Thread

Offline CoraBuhlert

• Bremen, Germany
    • View Profile
    • Cora Buhlert
« Reply #107 on: November 12, 2014, 05:43:02 PM »
Visits by country:
1) USA (98%)
2) Canada
3) Germany (interesting)
4) UK

The German visitors might have been partly due to me, since I tweeted/+1/tsued your promotion and also included it in the Speculative Fiction Showcase round-up. And since you're in Germany as well, the stats might also have counted your own visits to your own site.

Cora Buhlert | Blog | Pegasus Pulp | Newsletter | Author Central | Twitter | Instagram | [url=http://www.pint

Offline ThePete

• Florida swamp rat lost in Germany
  • "[Expletive Deleted]"
    • View Profile
    • Freelance Copyeditor and Independent Author
« Reply #108 on: November 15, 2014, 02:55:09 AM »
Just a head's up, we raised $2,700.34 for veteran's charities so far. There are still a few stragglers that haven't reported yet, but all the authors of the most heavily bought books have sent their confirmation numbers. Quiet a few of them are rounding up their donations to the nearest $100.

Great job everyone!
Freelance Copy Editor and Author Since 2013
Website | Kboard's Thread

Offline Robert Stanek

• USA
  • Robert Stanek
    • View Profile
    • Official Author Site of Robert Stanek
« Reply #109 on: November 22, 2014, 07:28:48 PM »
Awesome! Great to see such a big success for the first time out.

Best-selling author of books for young adults and adults.
Robert Stanek | author website | blog | facebook | twitter | google+ | youtube

Offline Robert Stanek

• USA
  • Robert Stanek
    • View Profile
    • Official Author Site of Robert Stanek
« Reply #110 on: November 23, 2014, 09:59:40 AM »
Just a head's up, we raised $2,700.34 for veteran's charities so far. There are still a few stragglers that haven't reported yet, but all the authors of the most heavily bought books have sent their confirmation numbers. Quiet a few of them are rounding up their donations to the nearest $100.

Great job everyone!

I see the number is still going up. Fantastic to see!

Best-selling author of books for young adults and adults.
Robert Stanek | author website | blog | facebook | twitter | google+ | youtube