Author Topic: Veteran's Day "Gone, but not forgotten" promotion: call for submissions  (Read 7212 times)  

Offline Vinny OHare

• New York City
    • View Profile
    • Awesomegang
Re: Veteran's Day "Gone, but not forgotten" promotion: call for submissions
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2014, 02:26:20 PM »
I am a Hootsuite Ambassador so if anyone uses the tool and is not sure about how to bulk upload let me know.

These will be going across about 10 Facebook, Twitter, and G+ accounts. 24 messages each so I just scheduled 240+ post. I am not a fan of using link shorteners but if you need to add the url to the tweets to make it shorter go ahead.

Offline Robert Stanek

• USA
  • Robert Stanek
    • View Profile
    • Official Author Site of Robert Stanek
« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2014, 03:47:38 PM »
This is fantastic to see!

Best-selling author of books for young adults and adults.
Robert Stanek | author website | blog | facebook | twitter | google+ | youtube

Offline ThePete

• Florida swamp rat lost in Germany
  • "[Expletive Deleted]"
    • View Profile
    • Freelance Copyeditor and Independent Author
« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2014, 02:46:07 AM »
To answer a quick question about the promo page: the order of books will be rotated at least once a day. On Veteran's Day, every 4-6 hours. So if you're on the bottom of the list right now, you won't be for long! Everyone will get a chance at the top slots.
Freelance Copy Editor and Author Since 2013
Website | Kboard's Thread

Offline Casper Parks

• Planet Earth
  • Novelist, Casper Parks
    • View Profile
    • Casper Parks
« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2014, 03:45:28 AM »
I am a Navy Vet...

If I take part, are we mailing in checks or money orders?

Side notation, I get my healthcare through the VA. When at a VA hospital, I leave paperbacks of my books for their libraries. Some homeless shelters for vets have libraries.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2014, 03:53:52 AM by Casper Parks »

Casper Parks an author for todays generation.

Casper Parks | author website | goodreads | google+ | youtube | twitter

Online Wayne Stinnett

• "I'm just a peckerwood who lives in the hills with too many guns."
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2014, 04:38:31 AM »
I am a Navy Vet...

Side notation, I get my healthcare through the VA. When at a VA hospital, I leave paperbacks of my books for their libraries. Some homeless shelters for vets have libraries.

It's on the honor system, Casper. You chose what Veterans charity you're going to donate to and make the donation yourself. Be glad to have you aboard. Email ThePete at the email address in the OP with the information he provided.
NINC President-Elect. My Amazon Bestselling, twelve-volume Jesse McDermitt Series and the spinoff,  three-volume Charity Styles Series, also Amazon Bestsellers, are available in ebook, audiobook, and paperback, with many more exciting adventures to come. In my motivational non-fiction, Blue Collar to No Collar, I provide tips, advice, and strategies for new authors, and is also available in the same formats. Don't forget to visit the Ship's Store for Jesse McDermitt swag.
Semper Fi,
Wayne Stinnett | Website | Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Amazon Author Page | Motivational Videos | Down Island Press | Ship's Store Swag

Offline ThePete

• "[Expletive Deleted]"
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 07, 2014, 04:50:44 AM »
I am a Navy Vet...

Just want to make things clear... no one here touches any money. We're merely connecting pledging authors with ad venues and readers. Any checks sent to me will be converted into whiskey!  :D

Like Wayne said, we're on the honor system. The only verification we do is ask for your estimated earnings for Veteran's Day and the receipt number when you've made the donation (you have a 90 day window to make payment).

The amount raised for each charity will be posted here on 13 November:
http://rappeters.wordpress.com/veterans-day-2014-challenge-supported-charities-and-sponsors/

In the extremely unlikely event someone refuses to send us the donation receipt number after 90 days and five attempts at contact... well, they then become my new hobby! They'll get a website dedicated all to themselves.

Offline susan_illene

• Oklahoma
    • View Profile
    • Susan Illene
« Reply #31 on: November 07, 2014, 05:03:56 AM »

In the extremely unlikely event someone refuses to send us the donation receipt number after 90 days and five attempts at contact... well, they then become my new hobby! They'll get a website dedicated all to themselves.

Dang, that sounds like fun.  Don't tempt me to forget to send my receipt, lol.

Susan Illene | Blog | Facebook

Offline ThePete

• "[Expletive Deleted]"
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 07, 2014, 07:07:14 AM »
Dang, that sounds like fun.  Don't tempt me to forget to send my receipt, lol.

Ha! I seriously doubt that'll be an issue. Most of these authors are already donating on a regular basis to these charities. This will just be a larger check than normal. Much larger, with a little luck and support!

Online Wayne Stinnett

• View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #33 on: November 07, 2014, 09:26:39 AM »
Ha! I seriously doubt that'll be an issue. Most of these authors are already donating on a regular basis to these charities. This will just be a larger check than normal. Much larger, with a little luck and support!

I hope so. My next donation to Homes for Warriors is only going to be $700, it's usually almost double that. I didn't do any promos in September. My friend, who administers H4W emailed me yesterday. He heard I was going to be in town next week, so I'll be swinging a hammer for a day. He used my last two donations to build a deck with a ramp on the current project home. The young Warrior and his wife want to meet me. I think The Snard said something about drywall. I hate drywall.  :D
NINC President-Elect. My Amazon Bestselling, twelve-volume Jesse McDermitt Series and the spinoff,  three-volume Charity Styles Series, also Amazon Bestsellers, are available in ebook, audiobook, and paperback, with many more exciting adventures to come. In my motivational non-fiction, Blue Collar to No Collar, I provide tips, advice, and strategies for new authors, and is also available in the same formats. Don't forget to visit the Ship's Store for Jesse McDermitt swag.
Semper Fi,
Wayne Stinnett | Website | Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Amazon Author Page | Motivational Videos | Down Island Press | Ship's Store Swag

Offline susan_illene

• Oklahoma
    • View Profile
    • Susan Illene
« Reply #34 on: November 07, 2014, 11:53:58 AM »

My regular charity is actually SPCA International because they work to bring troops pets home from combat zones.  Some people might not think it's important, but the bonds formed over there make it super difficult to leave a cat or dog behind.  Plus some of those animals have actually saved their lives.  It is ridiculously difficult and expensive to get an animal from the Middle East to America, but they've managed it many times through fundraisers.  I just wasn't sure if that charity counted for this event so I picked a different one.

Offline ThePete

• "[Expletive Deleted]"
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 07, 2014, 11:55:38 AM »
Ask Robert to recheck line 13 of his DD-214.

Thanks, but this is a different person. I'd love to rope in a Korean war vet though, but haven't had any success earlier than Vietnam.

Offline ThePete

• "[Expletive Deleted]"
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 07, 2014, 11:59:49 AM »
My regular charity is actually SPCA International because they work to bring troops pets home from combat zones.  Some people might not think it's important, but the bonds formed over there make it super difficult to leave a cat or dog behind.  Plus some of those animals have actually saved their lives.  It is ridiculously difficult and expensive to get an animal from the Middle East to America, but they've managed it many times through fundraisers.  I just wasn't sure if that charity counted for this event so I picked a different one.

Of course it qualifies!  :o Whatever organization you feel strongly about that's even loosely related to veterans. It's not my place to be some type of fundraising gatekeeper. Besides, you make a great point. When I was bandaged up in Landstuhl I would've loved to have my dog there! Would have made a world of difference.

Should I change your pledged charity?

Offline ThePete

• "[Expletive Deleted]"
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 07, 2014, 12:08:02 PM »
@Gator:

I'm afraid I'm not familiar with this commercial site you linked to. If I have any doubts as to an author's authenticity, I ask to see a scanned copy of their DD214. If anything seems odd, I send it over to the Stolen Valor folk (unfortunately I've worked with them too often in the past!).

Obviously I can't share this person's private information, so I recommend you contact them directly or send a request for official records to the NPRC-MPR (it's free):
http://www.archives.gov/st-louis/military-personnel/
« Last Edit: November 07, 2014, 12:11:04 PM by ThePete »

Offline susan_illene

• Oklahoma
    • View Profile
    • Susan Illene
« Reply #38 on: November 07, 2014, 12:15:19 PM »
Of course it qualifies!  :o Whatever organization you feel strongly about that's even loosely related to veterans. It's not my place to be some type of fundraising gatekeeper. Besides, you make a great point. When I was bandaged up in Landstuhl I would've loved to have my dog there! Would have made a world of difference.

Should I change your pledged charity?

That's my mistake for not asking (silly me), but I'll keep donating to them anyway.  It's fine to do something different for this event and I've made announcements already so I hate to confuse people.  Thanks for giving me the option, though!

Offline ThePete

• "[Expletive Deleted]"
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 07, 2014, 12:46:54 PM »
Thanks everyone.

I've got a call for volunteers. I've lost count of how many blogs and FB groups have agreed to pin our promotional posts on Monday (10 Nov) through Veteran's Day. It's at least 600 so far. Does anyone feel like splitting the list and posting for me? My clicking finger (also my damn trigger finger) is worn out! I'll send you all the promo stuff you need Sunday and a few dozen sites who've already given permission; you just need to copy and paste. Though feel free to put your own twist on them! I don't claim to know it all.

Offline richard.r.fox

• View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #40 on: November 07, 2014, 01:28:42 PM »
I'm in!

Two 15 month long tours in Iraq and ten years on active duty. I'll donate to The Battle Buddy Foundation, service dogs for veterans with PTSD/TBI.

I don't know if anyone has told Pete how awesome he is lately.

Richard Fox | My blog | Facebook | Twitter | GoodReads

Offline Robert Stanek

• USA
  • Robert Stanek
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 07, 2014, 01:29:46 PM »
Already supporting extensively through my social media channels. Thanks so much!

Offline Robert Stanek

• USA
  • Robert Stanek
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 07, 2014, 01:39:36 PM »
Pete, thanks for all your work on this project.  However, there appears to be an error on that page:

Robert Stanek
Service: US Air Force, Iraq Vet (1985-1996), Awarded Distinguished Flying Cross

In fact, the U.S. Navy awarded LCDR Robert Stanek the Distinguished Flying Cross for action against the enemy in Korea in 1953.

Ask Robert to recheck line 13 of his DD-214.

There's no shortage of Staneks with distinguished military careers. During the Korean War, LCDR Robert Stanek was awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross for action on May 3, 1953, also the Bronze Star w/Combat Distinguishing Device, and four air medals. He passed away Sept 3, 1966. Cpl Robert Stanek served in Vietnam and was killed in action on Feb 4, 1968. He is the recipient of the purple heart, the navy achievement medal with valor and more. I was awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross for my actions during the first Gulf War, along with seven other medals including the air medal, the air force commendation medal, and the humanitarian service medal.

My DD-214 is public at http://www.robertstanek.com/rsblog1.htm.

Offline ThePete

• "[Expletive Deleted]"
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 07, 2014, 02:00:53 PM »
@ Fox: You nut, you were one of the first added! You've got some of the sexiest covers around! I've also read Into Darkness and it's one of my top 10 favorites.

@Stanek: It's all good; I talked to him offline. He was just curious. Don't worry; your authenticity is not in doubt! But FYI: I'll never fault someone for being skeptical and doing their due diligence. It's all groovy now.

Back on track: we're always looking for donors. Even if you're not able to participate, you can still publicly pledge to any of our great charities here:
http://rappeters.wordpress.com/veterans-day-2014-challenge-supported-charities-and-sponsors/

Offline Robert Stanek

• USA
  • Robert Stanek
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 07, 2014, 02:03:35 PM »
Great to hear! I'll be promoting the event as well in my social media channels. Events like this really mean a lot and are great to be a part of.

Offline Vinny OHare

• New York City
    • View Profile
    • Awesomegang
« Reply #45 on: November 07, 2014, 05:05:43 PM »
Thanks everyone.

I've got a call for volunteers. I've lost count of how many blogs and FB groups have agreed to pin our promotional posts on Monday (10 Nov) through Veteran's Day. It's at least 600 so far. Does anyone feel like splitting the list and posting for me? My clicking finger (also my damn trigger finger) is worn out! I'll send you all the promo stuff you need Sunday and a few dozen sites who've already given permission; you just need to copy and paste. Though feel free to put your own twist on them! I don't claim to know it all.

Just send me what you want to put up and I will do it across Awesome, Pretty-hot and Bookreadermag. Email is vinny(at)Awesomegang.com If you could get that to me before Sunday it would be appreciated. I will be busy on Sunday taking photos for Veterans at the local Veterans Day Parade.

Offline ThePete

• "[Expletive Deleted]"
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 08, 2014, 05:50:38 AM »
Just send me what you want to put up and I will do it across Awesome, Pretty-hot and Bookreadermag. Email is vinny(at)Awesomegang.com If you could get that to me before Sunday it would be appreciated. I will be busy on Sunday taking photos for Veterans at the local Veterans Day Parade.

Thanks Vinny! I'm sending you an email. For everyone else wanting to promote, here's the event summary. We cut and tweak to fit the venue, but here's the basic template:

Veterans Day 2014 Charity Challenge: Gone, but Not Forgotten!
On Veteran's Day 2014, 50 veteran authors will pledge 100% of their print, ebook and audio book royalties to their favorite veteran's charity. In most cases, these are organizations that assisted the authors personally and they are trying their best to give back.

Veterans from each service branch and every conflict period, from Vietnam to even one author deployed to Afghanistan at this moment, are pledging. This diverse collection of works includes New York Times and USA Today Bestsellers and covers most genres. From romance to action-adventure and everything in between, there's something for every taste here!

The ultimate goal of this event is to raise at least $10,000 for the 15+ veterans charities they're supporting. If you aren't interested in any of the books available, they have a page set up ranking the money raised for each charity and spotlighting bonus donations. Whether you contribute to the best performing or the least performing, either way your donation will be put to good use!

The complete collection of participating books and charities can be found here:
http://bit.ly/VeteransDayChallenge

Note: For the sake of transparency, each author will post their donation receipts within 90 days. If you are a veteran author, they are accepting submissions until noon (EST) on 11 November. Please visit the Writer's Cafe at Kboards for submission details:
http://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,199976.0.html[/i]
« Last Edit: November 08, 2014, 07:21:27 AM by ThePete »

Online Wayne Stinnett

• View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #47 on: November 08, 2014, 06:17:33 AM »
Pete, send me a couple dozen of those contacts you mentioned. I have a few hours today I can work on them. Last night, I attended a Marine Corps Birthday Ball. Actually it was Mess Night, a long time tradition in the Corps. The President of the Mess, is a retired Major, who worked his way up through enlisted ranks. He's the author of two Marine related books. I just sent him an email about the promo. If you get something from Ralph Bates, see if you can squeeze him in.
Semper Fi,

Offline ThePete

• "[Expletive Deleted]"
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 08, 2014, 02:22:42 PM »
If you get something from Ralph Bates, see if you can squeeze him in.

Will do. I plan to keep taking submissions until noon (EST) on the 11th. It doesn't take but 5 mins to process someone. So... keep 'em comin'!

Offline ThePete

• "[Expletive Deleted]"
    • View Profile