Author Topic: Veteran's Day "Gone, but not forgotten" promotion: call for submissions  (Read 7197 times)  

Offline Wayne Stinnett

• "I'm just a peckerwood who lives in the hills with too many guns."
    • View Profile
    • My Website
Re: Veteran's Day "Gone, but not forgotten" promotion: call for submissions
« Reply #50 on: November 09, 2014, 07:47:13 AM »
Cool! I'll be sure to drop in from time to time.

Wish we'd planned this before my trip next week. On Sunday, I'm having lunch and beer (okay, mostly beer) with a group of Wounded Warriors, about 10 or 15, down in my home town. I'll be talking to them about writing, while we track sales of Fallen Mangrove during a BookBub ad. I hope to light a fire in one or two of those guys to write about their experiences.
NINC President-Elect. My Amazon Bestselling, twelve-volume Jesse McDermitt Series and the spinoff,  three-volume Charity Styles Series, also Amazon Bestsellers, are available in ebook, audiobook, and paperback, with many more exciting adventures to come. In my motivational non-fiction, Blue Collar to No Collar, I provide tips, advice, and strategies for new authors, and is also available in the same formats. Don't forget to visit the Ship's Store for Jesse McDermitt swag.
Semper Fi,
Wayne Stinnett | Website | Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Amazon Author Page | Motivational Videos | Down Island Press | Ship's Store Swag

Offline Robert Stanek

• USA
  • Robert Stanek
    • View Profile
    • Official Author Site of Robert Stanek
« Reply #51 on: November 09, 2014, 09:39:28 AM »
Great to meet everyone! Wayne, one of my thrillers takes place in Florida too. The main character goes from DC to Palm Beach/West Palm Beach/Boca Raton.

Best-selling author of books for young adults and adults.
Robert Stanek | author website | blog | facebook | twitter | google+ | youtube

Offline Robert Stanek

• USA
  • Robert Stanek
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 09, 2014, 09:42:19 AM »
By the way, Clark Chamberlain has setup a live Google hangout event to meet the authors involved:
https://www.facebook.com/events/1514853995449955/?context=create&previousaction=create&source=49&sid_create=3813855202

morning https://plus.google.com/u/0/events/c1f4k4g477m4dh5s8oms3fc8at0
afternoon https://plus.google.com/u/0/events/cksct3gkph5a9ovoqa3t8hs71t8
evening https://plus.google.com/u/0/events/cvf0ripp789n34gvi6i27jt2be4
facebook https://www.facebook.com/events/1514853995449955/?

Pete, in reading through the materials I didn't see if there's going to be a particular twitter hash tag for those tweeting about the event. Is there one I missed? Something like #VeteransDayChallenge.

Offline ThePete

• Florida swamp rat lost in Germany
  • "[Expletive Deleted]"
    • View Profile
    • Freelance Copyeditor and Independent Author
« Reply #53 on: November 09, 2014, 11:30:47 AM »
Pete, in reading through the materials I didn't see if there's going to be a particular twitter hash tag for those tweeting about the event. Is there one I missed? Something like #VeteransDayChallenge.

You beat me to the punch. I'm sending out a broadcast email in a few minutes. I plan to use: #vetsgiveback for a tag.
Freelance Copy Editor and Author Since 2013
Website | Kboard's Thread

Offline KBoards Admin

• Administrator
  • Bellingham WA
  • Love all, moderate all.
    • View Profile
    • KBoards
« Reply #54 on: November 09, 2014, 12:17:24 PM »
I'm happy to be supporting this initiative. Had a lot of relatives who fought in WWII and some who were lost. My father was 13 in '39 when Canada joined the war, and 18 when V-E Day arrived, so he avoided service for which I am thankful. Proud of those who served.

Flint and Flame: 15%

Authors: set up your own work-in-progress bar with our Author Sig tool.

Offline Robert Stanek

• USA
  • Robert Stanek
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 09, 2014, 02:37:34 PM »
You beat me to the punch. I'm sending out a broadcast email in a few minutes. I plan to use: #vetsgiveback for a tag.

Excellent, great choice: #vetsgiveback!

Offline Wayne Stinnett

• View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #56 on: November 09, 2014, 02:42:52 PM »
Been out all day. Had a Patriot Guard mission for a fallen Sailor. I like the idea for the hashtag, though I'm still not sure just how hashtags are used.  :D
NINC President-Elect. My Amazon Bestselling, twelve-volume Jesse McDermitt Series and the spinoff,  three-volume Charity Styles Series, also Amazon Bestsellers, are available in ebook, audiobook, and paperback, with many more exciting adventures to come. In my motivational non-fiction, Blue Collar to No Collar, I provide tips, advice, and strategies for new authors, and is also available in the same formats. Don't forget to visit the Ship's Store for Jesse McDermitt swag.
Semper Fi,
Wayne Stinnett | Website | Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Amazon Author Page | Motivational Videos | Down Island Press | Ship's Store Swag

Offline ThePete

• "[Expletive Deleted]"
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 10, 2014, 04:48:08 AM »
While I sent out a broadcast email, there are a few folk who've contacted me through other means. So I'll repost here.

Hello everyone! So, we begin heavily promoting the Veteran's Day event today and won't stop until tomorrow at midnight. I'll be chained to my computer for the next 48 hours non-stop, so drop me a line if you have any questions/ideas.

You've all done so much already, but here's my last-minute suggested To Do list:

1) Update your Amazon page to mention this event. Sample wording:
<b>100% of this book's royalties will be donated to (your charity) as part of the Veterans Day "Gone, but Not Forgotten!" charity drive. A complete list of all participating veteran authors can be found at: http://bit.ly/VeteransDayChallenge</b>

2) Start blasting your social media today and tomorrow. We're using #vetsgiveback as a standardized promo tag. Don't forget to remind folks that we have a page to spotlight any person/organization pledging bonus donations. Also don't forget to ask site admins to pin your posts or approach sites having nothing to do with books/veterans. You'll be surprised at the responses you'll get! Sponsor page: http://bit.ly/VetsgivebackSponsors

3) Double check your listing and make sure the info's correct/links work. I've made some changes today. Note: List position will be rotated twice a day. http://bit.ly/VeteransDayChallenge

4) Clark Chamberlain has setup a live Google hangout event for the authors involved to chat with readers on Veteran's Day. Even if you can't make it, please take a moment to visit the page and invite others:
https://www.facebook.com/events/1514853995449955/?context=create&previousaction=create&source=49&sid_create=3813855202

morning https://plus.google.com/u/0/events/c1f4k4g477m4dh5s8oms3fc8at0
afternoon https://plus.google.com/u/0/events/cksct3gkph5a9ovoqa3t8hs71t8
evening https://plus.google.com/u/0/events/cvf0ripp789n34gvi6i27jt2be4
facebook https://www.facebook.com/events/1514853995449955/?

Clark is the POC for this. Email him if you want to take part: writeclarkchamberlain@gmail.com

5) Last, but not least, don't forget to send any veteran authors you know, regardless of genre, an invitation. Feel free to share my email. We'll continue taking submissions throughout Veteran's Day on 11 November. Better late than never!

Thanks again and let's add another zero to that goal of raising $10,000!
Pete

Offline Robert Stanek

• USA
  • Robert Stanek
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 10, 2014, 08:17:29 AM »
Been out all day. Had a Patriot Guard mission for a fallen Sailor. I like the idea for the hashtag, though I'm still not sure just how hashtags are used.  :D

Hashtags, does that have something to do with corned beef? :-D

Offline Casper Parks

• Planet Earth
  • Novelist, Casper Parks
    • View Profile
    • Casper Parks
« Reply #59 on: November 10, 2014, 09:40:27 AM »

What time zone?

Casper Parks an author for todays generation.

Casper Parks | author website | goodreads | google+ | youtube | twitter

Offline ThePete

• "[Expletive Deleted]"
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: November 10, 2014, 10:01:49 AM »
What time zone?

All time zones. Do you mean the Google Hangouts? That should be on EST.

Offline Vinny OHare

• New York City
    • View Profile
    • Awesomegang
« Reply #61 on: November 10, 2014, 10:02:22 AM »
I like the #VetsGiveback hashtag. Nice and short! Looks like I am the first one to use it on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/ourawesomegang/posts/843516765700151

Offline Vinny OHare

• New York City
    • View Profile
    • Awesomegang

Offline Casper Parks

• Planet Earth
  • Novelist, Casper Parks
    • View Profile
    • Casper Parks
« Reply #63 on: November 10, 2014, 10:10:37 AM »
Posted links for list of authors taking part and for the Hangout at Google Plus Book club that has 21,635 members.

https://plus.google.com/u/0/communities/115163419704378077670

Casper Parks an author for todays generation.

Casper Parks | author website | goodreads | google+ | youtube | twitter

Offline Piers Platt

• New York
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 10, 2014, 10:26:30 AM »
I like the idea for the hashtag, though I'm still not sure just how hashtags are used.  :D

I'm not the most savvy of social media marketers, but the general idea is it "tags" the post with a link that allows it to be aggregated with similarly-tagged posts from other people (even if you're not friends with them).  When someone sees your hashtag, they can click on it (anything after a # symbol becomes a hyperlink), and they get taken to a list of posts that include that hashtag, from anyone that's used the tag.  On the flip side, some people use them to search for stuff - like #EbolaDallas if you want to know what the latest news is on that topic.  And of course, people use them ironically all the time (#ILoveBieber).  If you're lucky, and enough people use your hashtag, that hashtag can then "trend" (go viral) and appear on the "top trends" lists.  Realistically, we're not likely to make those lists, but we can hope!

Piers Platt My Newsletter My Website

Offline Wayne Stinnett

• View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #65 on: November 10, 2014, 10:51:46 AM »
All time zones. Do you mean the Google Hangouts? That should be on EST.

I think Robert meant what time zone for sales. Good question. I'd recommend we all use Amazon's Pacific time zone. That way, we can know from our dashboards exactly how many sales we had and not have to take into account the difference in time zones.

Also, a question I asked earlier hasn't been answered. Both you and I are adding $100 to the highest earning charity. I'm assuming that will be highest donation (royalty amount) by a single author. Otherwise, we should go ahead and write checks to WWP, as at least half a dozen writers have chosen it for their charity.
Semper Fi,

Offline ThePete

• "[Expletive Deleted]"
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 10, 2014, 01:48:11 PM »
I think Robert meant what time zone for sales. Good question. I'd recommend we all use Amazon's Pacific time zone. That way, we can know from our dashboards exactly how many sales we had and not have to take into account the difference in time zones.

Also, a question I asked earlier hasn't been answered. Both you and I are adding $100 to the highest earning charity. I'm assuming that will be highest donation (royalty amount) by a single author. Otherwise, we should go ahead and write checks to WWP, as at least half a dozen writers have chosen it for their charity.

Very good point, Wayne. I completely missed that. Yes, let's stick to Pacific time for everyone. I'll update the rules and mention it on the follow up email.

About the charity, you can always change your pledge. By top performing, I meant total contributions, counting author royalties and public bonus pledges. Those bonus pledges are already at $500 for non-Wounded Warrior programs. Have to see how it goes.

And to answer the question about hashtags earlier, it's just a way to keep track of the conversation. A lot of folks (youngin's) use it as short text. So you'll have a tweet with a hashtag for text and 6 or more addresses. Then those "tagged" people click the # to figure out what's going on from all sources. I don't agree that's the most effective method, but that's what all the cool kids are doing.

#vetsgiveback summaries:
Twitter: https://twitter.com/search?q=%23vetsgiveback&src=tyah
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/hashtag/vetsgiveback?source=feed_text&story_id=10204077295466460&pnref=story

Offline ThePete

• "[Expletive Deleted]"
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 10, 2014, 02:16:40 PM »
Realistically, we're not likely to make those lists, but we can hope!

@ Piers: I believe we can! Twitter and FB are our aces in the hole for this event, but only if we pour it on. Look at CNN, they get 90% of their news from Twitter. You can make 2,400 tweets a day... Fire mission, over!

@ Everyone: I remade the original post since this is the landing page for new author submissions. Hopefully it's clearer now and not so rambling. ;) Let me know if I missed anything important!
« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 02:18:21 PM by ThePete »

Offline Wayne Stinnett

• View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #68 on: November 10, 2014, 02:23:06 PM »
I'll just leave it the way it is. I've already donated over $2,000 to WWP anyway.

Thanks for the links on the hashtags, now I understand it a bit better. I already tweeted twice with the hastag, not even knowing what they were.
Semper Fi,

Offline ThePete

• "[Expletive Deleted]"
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 10, 2014, 04:05:57 PM »
Reorganized the site by broad genres. Added a little order to the chaos!

Offline Wayne Stinnett

• View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #70 on: November 10, 2014, 04:15:59 PM »
I just updated to see how many there were. Separating by genre is a good idea.

A question: When I share the link, the link text on the shared post says:
Veteran's Day 2014

----This page is under construction---- These Military Veteran Authors are Pledging 100% Royalties to Charity on 11 November 2014 Click here for rules and sign up information. Sponsors always welco...

But, when you click the link and the page opens, "----This page is under construction----" isn't on the page itself. It's kind of offputting on the shared link though. Is that in the site description?
Semper Fi,

Offline Vinny OHare

• New York City
    • View Profile
    • Awesomegang
« Reply #71 on: November 10, 2014, 04:18:42 PM »
Probably in the meta title description

Offline Wayne Stinnett

• View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #72 on: November 10, 2014, 05:48:27 PM »
Thanks, Vinny. Didn't know the nomenclature. And thanks for your pledge and all your help, too.
Semper Fi,

Offline Vinny OHare

• New York City
    • View Profile
    • Awesomegang
« Reply #73 on: November 10, 2014, 06:59:39 PM »
Wayne I did write a book on 25 ways to fix that nomenclature :)

Thank you for your service.

Offline susan_illene

• Oklahoma
    • View Profile
    • Susan Illene
« Reply #74 on: November 10, 2014, 08:13:42 PM »
I just posted an announcement about the charity event on my blog, Facebook, and Twitter.  I've decided to add a kicker to mine so that for every $100 raised through my book's sales I'll add another $50 of my own funds.  Hoping it helps push more people to buy or at least promote our project.  Can't wait to see how things go tomorrow!

Susan Illene | Blog | Facebook