Kindle Forum banner

Veteran's Day "Gone, but not forgotten" promotion: call for submissions

12K views 110 replies 16 participants last post by  Robert Stanek 
#1 ·

Edit 12 Nov
Lessons Learned (AAR) discussion: http://www.kboards.com/index.php?topic=200766.msg2809014#msg2809014
Ok, I won't have total donations or earnings per charity estimates ready until tomorrow (13 Nov), but I wanted to post some quick stats and a huge thanks. We're at a bit over $1,200 in bonus pledges, not counting royalties.

Obviously this whole promotion wasn't the knockout hit we all hoped for, but that's my fault for coming up with the idea at the last second. I believe last Tuesday was when we first began hammering this together. Still, starting from scratch and with less than a week lead time, counting a 4-day weekend for most folks, I'm pleased with the results. Can't complain. Like Patton said, "An ok plan executed immediately and aggressively is always better than a perfect plan launched tomorrow." I'll start a separate thread for the AAR (lessons learned) later. Should be an interesting discussion! ;)

Now, I don't know where to begin thanking everyone! So many people chipped in! Big and small, all your help is greatly appreciated! Hasn't gone unnoticed. From the bottom of my heart, thank you all again! I want to give a special shout out to Clark Chamberlain, Wayne Stinnett, Richard Fox and Vinny O'Hare for really going the extra mile. Above and beyond!

Authors participating: 43*
*11 more tentatively agreed, but didn't confirm in time for various reasons

Total Challenge Page Views on Veteran's Day: 5,044
Total clicks on retailer links: 4,070
(only 60 on non-Amazon links: 57 B&N, 1 Apple, 2 Books a Million)

Top 5 most clicked books:
1) Fast Men, Slow Kisses: 7 Romances Supporting Military Veterans edited by Sandy Loyd
2) The Perseid Collapse by Steven Konkoly
3) Fallen Out: Jesse McDermitt Series I by Wayne Stinnett
4) Combat and Other Shenanigans by Piers Platt
5) Origins of the Outbreak by Brian Parker

Top referral sources:
Facebook: 50.9%
Twitter: 21.2%
Other social media (Google+/Youtube/Linkedin/Pinterest): 3.1%
Total from social media: 75.2%

Search Engine: 10.4% (we had several offline, local news media mentions)

All other sources: 14.4%
Top "other" referrers
1) Kboards.com (blog and forum together)
2) Sfwa.org
3) serviceofchange.com
4) awesomegang.com
5) darknesshaunts.com

Visits by country:
1) USA (98%)
2) Canada
3) Germany (interesting)
4) UK

Single largest referrer across all sources:
US Military Videos (Facebook) = 10.6% of total traffic from these folks alone

Important Links
- List of all participating books: http://bit.ly/VeteransDayChallenge
- List of bonus donations and pledged charities: http://bit.ly/VetsgivebackSponsors
- Event hashtag: #vetsgiveback
- Live chat with the authors on Veteran's Day: (email me at bsthing2010@hotmail.com to participate as an author) https://www.facebook.com/events/1514853995449955/?context=create&previousaction=create&source=49&sid_create=3813855202

Edit: I realize that not every author has access to daily sales stats. You can still participate though. As a workaround, you can pledge a flat rate for the day and we'll add the caveat to your book link: "Author is pledging a flat rate of $X instead of royalties."

Event Summary:
Veteran's Day 2014 Charity Challenge: Gone, but Not Forgotten!​
On Veteran's Day 2014, 50 veteran authors will pledge 100% of their print, ebook and audio book royalties to their favorite veteran's charity or a large flat-rate donation for the day. In most cases, these are organizations that assisted the authors personally and they are trying their best to give back.

Veterans from each service branch and every conflict period, from Vietnam to even one author deployed to Afghanistan at this moment, are pledging. This diverse collection of works includes New York Times and USA Today Bestsellers and covers most genres. From romance to action-adventure and everything in between, there's something for every taste here!

The ultimate goal of this event is to raise at least $10,000 for the 15+ veterans charities they're supporting. If you aren't interested in any of the books available, they have a page set up ranking the money raised for each charity and spotlighting bonus donations. Whether you contribute to the best performing or the least performing, either way your donation will be put to good use!

The complete collection of participating books and charities can be found here:
http://bit.ly/VeteransDayChallenge

Note: For the sake of transparency, each author will post their donation receipts within 90 days. If you are a veteran author, they are accepting submissions until noon (EST) on 11 November. Please visit the Writer's Cafe at Kboards for submission details:
http://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,199976.0.html

Call for Sponsors
We have quite a few blogs and websites willing to "sponsor" this drive and promote it, but we're always looking for more. Whether you make a public donation or simply Tweet about this, you're making a huge difference! Plese Email (bsthing2010@hotmail.com) or PM me if you'd like to assist in general or promote only certain genres. You do NOT have to lend your name to this event or endorse any particular charity/author to help!

Requirements to Participate: Accepting submissions until late on 11 November. It's not too late!

*You must be a US or allied veteran to join, but anyone is welcome to donate or pledge a bonus donation. You'll receive public acknowledgement.*

1) Pledge 100% of your proceeds to a veterans-themed charity of your choice on Veterans Day (11 Nov 2014). Alternatively, you can pledge a flat rate for the day instead of royalties. Proceeds are considered the net payment to the author for print/ebook/audio sales and Amazon KU/KOLL borrows recorded on 11 November. Anything you earn from affiliate links is up to your own discretion whether to include or not. One day only event required, but feel free to pledge as long as you like! Let's use Amazon's Pacific Time Zone (California) to determine sales range.

2) Send the following information to the event coordinator: (bsthing2010@hotmail.com or PM me here)

a) Which book and which charity you'll pledge to (include link to charity). No restrictions as long as it is even loosely aimed at veterans, active duty, family, etc... Only space for 1 book from each author on the promotion page. The charity will be highlighted under the book.

b) A thumbnail book cover image ( 250x high)

c) All retailer links. Use your own affiliate link; that's encouraged! By default, they'll only be one link to the paperback/audio, for Amazon. Let me know if you want some other arrangement.

d) Branch of service and years, any combat tours and/or major medals (will be included on some ad venues).
There's no space for a real bio, so we'll keep it short and standardized. Example: US Army, x years, Iraq Vet (05-07), Awarded Congressional Medal of Honor with Silver Oak Leave Cluster

e) If writing under a pen name, let me know how you want to be identified.

f) Any ideas you have to improve this. We're open to all suggestions.

3) Please add the pledge, using whatever wording you like, in bold print on your product's description page. It's suggested, but not required, to also post the link to the main promo page listing all participating books.

4) CRUCIAL: If pledging royalties, authors must post the estimated dollar amount raised for their charity to the event coordinator by midnight EST on 12 Nov 2014. This will be posted on the main promo page. You don't have to list exact sales/borrows. If your publisher does not provide daily sales stats, that's ok. We'll work around that issue. You always have the option of pledging a flat rate for the day.

The receipt number is also required when payment has been made. We understand that Amazon releases the funds 60 days after the end of the calendar month, so you'll have 90 days maximum to make payment. The payment confirmation is the only issue where we aren't flexible.
In the unlikely event any author makes this public pledge and reneges... well, we all know what happens to Blue Falcons. Don't force us make you famous.

Looking forward to your submissions!

Final Note: This is the program's first year, but it won't be the last. We plan to hold week long events next year for Memorial Day and Veteran's Day. We'll conduct an After Action Review here on 13 November to hammer out the details and see where we can improve this program.

See less See more
#3 ·
Toys for Tots is a good choice, C.E.

As Pete said, I'm all in on this and I'll match his hundred to the top charity.

My charity is close to my heart. Homes for Warriors is a local program instituted by the Space Coast Paratroopers Association. The guy that heads it up is a friend from my early teen years, David "The Snard" Isnardi, who is a retired Army Sergeant First Class. 100% of all donations to this charity go to the purchase of material and labor that aren't donated, in the remodeling of homes to accommodate severely injured Warriors in the Brevard County, Florida area. We both not only contribute financially (half of the profit of Fallen Pride is donated monthly), but with sweat equity, as well. Damn good cause.

I'm hoping Vinny will see this post and contribute some ad space. Any and all bloggers are welcome and encouraged to help with promotion. I don't think Pete's idea of $10K is out of reach, but time is of the essence. We have less than a week to pull this off.

#6 ·
I am not military but at times feel like I am living through it. I take care of my dad who is a vet and has PTSD and had Agent Orange exposure. Its not an easy road.  I appreciate what your doing, It means a lot, if I was able to I would participate no issue. as such all I can really do is applaud from here and tell people about it.

#7 ·
Rae Scott Studio said:
I appreciate what your doing, It means a lot, if I was able to I would participate no issue. as such all I can really do is applaud from here and tell people about it.
Thanks so much Rae! But even just telling people about this makes a huge difference! By the way, the (very rough) beta page listing participating authors can be found here:
http://rappeters.wordpress.com/veteran-authors-pledging-100-royalties-to-charity-on-veterans-day-2014/

Really appreciate your help and sympathize about your father. Well, since you're taking care of him, you're actually doing more to help veterans than most of us. The struggles of caregivers are so often overlooked, but I have a lot of respect for anyone that assumes that burden. It takes one heck of a strong soul. My hat's off to you.

#8 ·
ThePete said:
My hat's off to you.
Mine as well.

Pete, or do you prefer Richard? I'll email you the information on my submission shortly.

#9 ·
FussyLibrarian will post a link at the top of their Monday email in all genres. Just sent an email to BookBub.  :D

#10 ·
Haven't had my coffee yet and brain still foggy, but I am open for whatever you wish to do. We can add a link to the top of Awesomegang, Pretty-hot, and Book reader magazine email. If someone wants to write up a blog post about it I would be happy to put that across all the sites also.

Since we already have a url for the challenge page why don't we put it in a link shortener and get some tweets and post written which I book sites can blast out over and over on the 11th.

My grandfather was part of the Battle of the Bulge and reenlisted for Korea. Toughest man I ever knew.

#11 ·
Vinny OHare said:
Haven't had my coffee yet and brain still foggy, but I am open for whatever you wish to do. We can add a link to the top of Awesomegang, Pretty-hot, and Book reader magazine email. If someone wants to write up a blog post about it I would be happy to put that across all the sites also.
Here ya go, Vinny. http://waynestinnett.blogspot.com/

My grandfather was part of the Battle of the Bulge and reenlisted for Korea. Toughest man I ever knew.
I bet he was.

#13 ·
Piers Platt said:
Love this idea - I'm in. Email inbound, ThePete.
Will you need a map and compass, Eltee?

#16 ·
Piers Platt said:
LOL. No, I'll just delegate all the actual work to my platoon sergeant :p
LOL. Welcome aboard, Lieutenant.

#17 ·

Since we already have a url for the challenge page why don't we put it in a link shortener and get some tweets and post written which I book sites can blast out over and over on the 11th.

My grandfather was part of the Battle of the Bulge and reenlisted for Korea. Toughest man I ever knew
Thanks a million, Vinny! I see I was far to conservative with a goal of raising $10,000 in one day. No. No smiley. I ain't jokin'!

#18 ·
The page looks real sharp this morning, Pete. Anything you need me to do?

#21 ·
Steven Konkoly said:
Blue Falcon...I almost spit my coffee out. Haven't heard that code word used in a long time...
Same here. And thanks for stepping up for the underdog.

We need to clarify something. Top earning charity or author? About five authors are giving to Wounded Warrior Project, so it's sure to be the highest charity donated to.

#22 ·
Thanks everyone! Sorry for the delay in responding. I've been crawling around the internet, cap in hand, hunting down sponsors and promoters. Why won't Clive Cussler return my email? It's been hours! Anyway...

I'll have a second page up tonight to organize all these bonus pledges. At the moment it won't be anything elaborate, but at least a comprehensive list of charities supported, brief description and amount raised. Let folks decide who to support. Logically, it does make more sense to support the worst performing charity out there, regardless of how much fun competing is. ;D

I'm sure this approach will evolve over the next few days. These bonus pledges are adding up fast! As a matter of fact, if anyone wants to volunteer to host that page, maybe with some pur'ty graphs, I'd be incredibly grateful.

By the way, we're setting up a live Google Hangout event for any authors that want to participate on Veteran's Day. Clark Chamberlain's spearheading that (was his idea). Everyone that's signed up will get an email with further details tonight and we'll post it here when set up.

If anyone else has any great ideas, toss 'em up here, please!

#23 ·
#24 ·
#25 ·
Don't know if any of you use Hootsuite or another scheduling service for social media. Just created a spreadsheet with a Tweet or Facebook post for every hour aimed at the Military landing page they set up above. Click on File > Download as CSV. Then upload via bulk editor tool. Or feel free to copy and paste into your scheduling tool.

https://docs.google.com/a/vinnyohare.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Asta5mZFZ9oUdGhRWmJlZFp4RG1Iek9TNU1Tcm5Id2c&usp=sharing
Hot damn! You just saved hours of time. Good thing you're in another time zone, or I'd kiss you. Thanks for the great tip!

#26 ·
I am a Hootsuite Ambassador so if anyone uses the tool and is not sure about how to bulk upload let me know.

These will be going across about 10 Facebook, Twitter, and G+ accounts. 24 messages each so I just scheduled 240+ post. I am not a fan of using link shorteners but if you need to add the url to the tweets to make it shorter go ahead.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.