NetGalley

Author Topic: Veteran's Day "Gone, but not forgotten" promotion: call for submissions  (Read 7750 times)  

Offline Vinny OHare

• New York City
    • View Profile
    • Awesomegang
Re: Veteran's Day "Gone, but not forgotten" promotion: call for submissions
« Reply #75 on: November 10, 2014, 08:51:13 PM »
My post is up on all Awesomegang properties http://awesomegang.com/veterans-day-2014-gone-forgotten/

Not going to post them all here as they all look the same. I would like to add though if you are on Twitter or Facebook and you see the hashtag today give a few seconds to share it. 

Offline Wayne Stinnett

• "I'm just a peckerwood who lives in the hills with too many guns."
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #76 on: November 11, 2014, 04:38:54 AM »
Eight sales/borrows in the first 4-1/2 hours for Fallen Out. Things should really pick up once the blogs come out.
NINC President-Elect. My Amazon Bestselling, twelve-volume Jesse McDermitt Series and the spinoff,  four-volume Charity Styles Series, also Amazon Bestsellers, are available in ebook, audiobook, and paperback, with many more exciting adventures to come. In my motivational non-fiction, Blue Collar to No Collar, I provide tips, advice, and strategies for new authors, and is also available in the same formats. Don't forget to visit the Ship's Store for Jesse McDermitt swag.
Semper Fi,
Wayne Stinnett | Website | Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Amazon Author Page | Motivational Videos | Down Island Press | Ship's Store Swag

Offline Piers Platt

• New York
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 11, 2014, 07:34:36 AM »
I just blasted FB, G+, and Twitter.  I always struggle to write good tweets, so figured I would share what I posted - here's the tweet:

Proud to join 50 authors & donate my book sales to charity today. Books at http://bit.ly/VetsgivebackSponsors - help me support @wwpinc!  #vetsgiveback

Note: @wwpinc is the twitter handle for Wounded Warrior Project, my charity...search for your own charity's name and replace it before you post.

Piers Platt My Newsletter My Website

Offline susan_illene

• Oklahoma
    • View Profile
    • Susan Illene
« Reply #78 on: November 11, 2014, 07:54:07 AM »
I just blasted FB, G+, and Twitter.  I always struggle to write good tweets, so figured I would share what I posted - here's the tweet:

Proud to join 50 authors & donate my book sales to charity today. Books at http://bit.ly/VetsgivebackSponsors - help me support @wwpinc!  #vetsgiveback

Note: @wwpinc is the twitter handle for Wounded Warrior Project, my charity...search for your own charity's name and replace it before you post.

Thanks for a copy of your tweet.  I just used it!  (we share the same charity so I didn't have to change a thing)

Susan Illene | Blog | Facebook

Offline Vinny OHare

• New York City
    • View Profile
    • Awesomegang

Offline ThePete

• Florida swamp rat lost in Germany
  • "[Expletive Deleted]"
    • View Profile
    • Freelance Copyeditor and Independent Author
« Reply #80 on: November 11, 2014, 08:18:49 AM »
Great job everyone. This here's the final push.

One tweet variation I use is:
50 Vet Authors giving 100% royalties to vet charities. You can also donate without buying! http://bit.ly/VeteransDayChallenge #vetsgiveback

or:
50 Veteran Authors Pledging 100% royalties to veteran's charities on Veteran's Day! http://bit.ly/VeteransDayChallenge #vetsgiveback

When they retweet, follow up with:There's a page to spotlight anyone pledging bonus donations. You don't have to buy a book to give! http://bit.ly/VetsgivebackSponsors
Freelance Copy Editor and Author Since 2013
Website | Kboard's Thread

Offline Robert Stanek

• USA
  • Robert Stanek
    • View Profile
    • Official Author Site of Robert Stanek
« Reply #81 on: November 11, 2014, 10:02:44 AM »
Buying many of the books on the list today. Hope other Kb'ers are too!

Best-selling author of books for young adults and adults.
Robert Stanek | author website | blog | facebook | twitter | google+ | youtube

Offline ThePete

• "[Expletive Deleted]"
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 11, 2014, 10:18:30 AM »
Buying many of the books on the list today. Hope other Kb'ers are too!

I've been plugging the one's in KU extra. It's an easy way to donate without giving any money! I don't know what more I can offer folks!  :o

Offline CharityT

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 11, 2014, 11:11:37 AM »
After I did my blog post, Facebook and Twitter blasts (and I've been going to the hash tag and re-tweeting like a mad woman), I went to the landing page and went a little crazy with the Buy Now one-click and the borrow button.

I am very honored to be part of this effort. Thank you so much for organizing it.

Charity

Offline susan_illene

• Oklahoma
    • View Profile
    • Susan Illene
« Reply #84 on: November 11, 2014, 11:21:55 AM »
After I did my blog post, Facebook and Twitter blasts (and I've been going to the hash tag and re-tweeting like a mad woman), I went to the landing page and went a little crazy with the Buy Now one-click and the borrow button.

I am very honored to be part of this effort. Thank you so much for organizing it.

Charity

I just bought several myself.  Not only is it for a good cause, but I've discovered some new books/authors as well!

Offline ThePete

• "[Expletive Deleted]"
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 11, 2014, 01:27:17 PM »
Yeah, I've been plugging the KU books particularly hard.

So, final 11-hour stretch. Anyone have any last minute suggestions how to use our time wisely?

Offline Wayne Stinnett

• View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #86 on: November 11, 2014, 01:45:22 PM »
I'm up to 22 sales/borrows for the day. A little above normal, but it's just now quitting time here on the east coast.
NINC President-Elect. My Amazon Bestselling, twelve-volume Jesse McDermitt Series and the spinoff,  four-volume Charity Styles Series, also Amazon Bestsellers, are available in ebook, audiobook, and paperback, with many more exciting adventures to come. In my motivational non-fiction, Blue Collar to No Collar, I provide tips, advice, and strategies for new authors, and is also available in the same formats. Don't forget to visit the Ship's Store for Jesse McDermitt swag.
Semper Fi,
Wayne Stinnett | Website | Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Amazon Author Page | Motivational Videos | Down Island Press | Ship's Store Swag

Offline susan_illene

• Oklahoma
    • View Profile
    • Susan Illene
« Reply #87 on: November 11, 2014, 01:45:38 PM »
So far Darkness Haunts has earned $70.89 in royalties.  Not too bad, considering the evening hasn't come yet where I usually get a decent amount.  I plan to do some more tweeting and another post on Facebook.  Not sure what else might help.

ETA- It's actually a couple dollars more than that because I forgot to convert UK sales to US dollars.  I'll wait until the end to do that, though.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2014, 01:53:41 PM by susan_illene »

Offline ThePete

• "[Expletive Deleted]"
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 11, 2014, 02:47:14 PM »
@Susan: good news! We've still got the evening and late afternoon on the west coast. Take year this should be a week-long event.

@Wayne: Don't forget that borrows won't show up until they hit 10%. I bet most of the KU folks will see above average borrow rates for the next weeks. I saw one author go from the 2.7 m sales rank to 25,000 earlier today. I'm curious to see how everyone's paperback sales are. Most of our clicks have gone from venues having nothing to do with ebooks. A lot to add to the AAR!

Offline Wayne Stinnett

• View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #89 on: November 11, 2014, 02:51:12 PM »
Next year, we can start arranging earlier. I'd suggest royalties of all books sold be donated. With two or three weeks planning, this could become really big.
Semper Fi,

Offline susan_illene

• Oklahoma
    • View Profile
    • Susan Illene
« Reply #90 on: November 11, 2014, 03:02:01 PM »
@Susan: good news! We've still got the evening and late afternoon on the west coast. Take year this should be a week-long event.

@Wayne: Don't forget that borrows won't show up until they hit 10%. I bet most of the KU folks will see above average borrow rates for the next weeks. I saw one author go from the 2.7 m sales rank to 25,000 earlier today. I'm curious to see how everyone's paperback sales are. Most of our clicks have gone from venues having nothing to do with ebooks. A lot to add to the AAR!

I agree with you and Wayne that we could make this even bigger next year, especially if we plan it out well ahead of time so that we can get more marketing scheduled.  Also, I've missed being around folks who know what an AAR is.  It's such a useful term when reviewing how events (of whatever nature) went and how to make them better next time.  My family just gives me strange looks if I try to use it.

Offline ThePete

• "[Expletive Deleted]"
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 11, 2014, 04:13:02 PM »
Also, I've missed being around folks who know what an AAR is.  It's such a useful term when reviewing how events (of whatever nature) went and how to make them better next time.  My family just gives me strange looks if I try to use it.

I know the feeling. When something breaks and she wants it fixed right now... she's less than Hooah when I tell her to "Adapt and overcome, babe!"

Alright ya'll. I'm racking out. It's 0100 over here and I'm not pulling another all-nighter on this project. We'll pour over the details and results tomorrow.

Good luck everyone and thanks for everything! It was a blast!

Offline Wayne Stinnett

• View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #92 on: November 11, 2014, 05:32:00 PM »

KU/KOLL borrows shown on the graph on the dashboard are point of download. What's reported on the Month To Date Unit Sales are when they've been read past 10%. Tomorrow's graph will show total borrows (whether read past 10% or not) and total sales (whether the transaction was completed before midnight PST or not). I suggest that to keep things simple, we use the numbers from the graph. If someone doesn't read it at all and returns it unread, it's only a buck and a half. I'm sure we can all afford to donate a cup of coffee.  ;)
Semper Fi,

Offline Robert Stanek

• USA
  • Robert Stanek
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 11, 2014, 06:11:06 PM »
I want to thank @Pete and others who got this started. I will be tallying sales for all pre-orders/orders of "This Mortal Coil. After the Machines" for all episodes, formats and editions for all 240 retailers I work with. The Amazon,B&N,Kobo numbers are easy to get together (and can be done in a few days), the others can take a mighty long time (up to 90 days for some because of how the reporting works). Regardless, I will be donating large very soon to Wounded Warrior Project and other charities I work with regularly.

Offline Wayne Stinnett

• View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #94 on: November 12, 2014, 03:39:26 AM »
Didn't go nearly as well as I expected. Hope others did better. One thing that was unusual was that for the first time one of my books had more borrows than sales. Altogether, Fallen Out had 14 US sales, 1 CA sale and 18 borrows, for a total of $58.47.

The fifteen sales is only 1 above average so far this month, but the 18 borrows is more than double the monthly average. Did anyone else have unusually high borrows?
Semper Fi,

Offline CEMartin2

• Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Troglodad
« Reply #95 on: November 12, 2014, 03:48:13 AM »
2 borrows. My sales are in a steep nose dive since october. Darn fall tv.

Offline susan_illene

• Oklahoma
    • View Profile
    • Susan Illene
« Reply #96 on: November 12, 2014, 05:44:47 AM »
Here's the totals for me:

Amazon US- 40 sales
Amazon UK- 3 sales
Createspace- 1 sale (UK)
Kobo- 1 sale (Canada)

Total sales- 45
Total earned- $123.15 (plus an additional $50 I'll kick in since I promised I would if it went over one hundred)

For sales, I was definitely up by about 15 on Amazon US, but I was down with all the other sites for ebooks.  Usually I'll get some in Germany and Australia, but those have been declining lately since my last book release was a couple months ago so it wasn't totally surprising.  B&N has been doing very well for the last few months and now it's lagging this month.  Not a single sale from them yesterday for any book.  I'd hoped for a slightly better turnout overall, but considering we didn't have much time to plan and market I thought it went reasonably well.  Next year if we start working earlier on setting up promotions we should see better results.

Offline ThePete

• "[Expletive Deleted]"
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: November 12, 2014, 06:56:50 AM »
Ok, I won't have total donations or earnings per charity estimates ready until tomorrow (13 Nov), but I wanted to post some quick stats and a huge thanks. We're at a bit over $1,200 in bonus pledges, not counting royalties.

Obviously this whole promotion wasn't the knockout hit we all hoped for, but that's my fault for coming up with the idea at the last second. I believe last Tuesday was when we started hammering this out. Still, starting from scratch and with less than a week lead time, counting a 4-day weekend for most folks, I'm pleased with the results. Can't complain. Like Patton said, "An ok plan executed immediately and aggressively is always better than a perfect plan launched tomorrow." I'll start a separate thread for the AAR (lessons learned) later. Should be an interesting discussion! ;)

Now, I don't know where to begin thanking everyone! So many people chipped in! Big and small, all your help is great appreciated! Hasn't gone unnoticed. From the bottom of my heart, thank you all again! I want to give a special shout out to Clark Chamberlain, Wayne Stinnett, Richard Fox and Vinny O'Hare for really going the extra mile. Above and beyond!

Authors participating: 43*
*11 more tentatively agreed, but didn't confirm in time for various reasons

Total Challenge Page Views on Veteran's Day: 5,044
Total clicks on retailer links: 4,070
(only 60 on non-Amazon links: 57 B&N, 1 Apple, 2 Books a Million)

Top 5 most clicked books:
1) Fast Men, Slow Kisses: 7 Romances Supporting Military Veterans edited by Sandy Loyd
2) The Perseid Collapse by Steven Konkoly
3) Fallen Out: Jesse McDermitt Series I by Wayne Stinnett
4) Combat and Other Shenanigans by Piers Platt
5) Origins of the Outbreak by Brian Parker

Top referral sources:
Facebook: 50.9%
Twitter: 21.2%
Other social media (Google+/Youtube/Linkedin/Pinterest): 3.1%
Total from social media: 75.2%

Search Engine: 10.4% (we had several offline, local news media mentions)

All other sources: 14.4%
Top "other" referrers
1) Kboards.com (blog and forum together)
2) Sfwa.org
3) serviceofchange.com
4) awesomegang.com
5) darknesshaunts.com

Visits by country:
1) USA (98%)
2) Canada
3) Germany (interesting)
4) UK

Single largest referrer across all sources:
US Military Videos (Facebook) = 10.6% of total traffic from these folks alone
« Last Edit: November 12, 2014, 07:04:18 AM by ThePete »

Offline Robert Stanek

• USA
  • Robert Stanek
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 12, 2014, 09:29:07 AM »
It's release day for "This Mortal Coil. After the Machines" and it's a new series that's been available as a pre-order since August 15. I've been working to spread the word about it for the past week. Normally, I'd be heads down writing, which is what I'm going to go back to after this.

Looks like I had a few additional sales in each of the markets I can get sales data from quickly. Getting sales data from the other markets will take time, for some up to 90 days.

In honor of this event, I'll be donating $200 to each of the veterans-related charities I normally work with. This is on top of what I normally donate annually.

My donations are normally anonymous, but for this event I will donate in my name, as here:

For those who may be disappointed in their results, I personally spent most of Monday and Tuesday promoting this event, the authors and books involved, not for my sales but for the opportunity to give back and to help others.

I've participated in many events like this and more often than not the results of nowhere near expectations. It's how things usually works out.

Thanks everyone. I'm sometimes on Facebook if you want to connect.

Robert Stanek

Offline KBoards Admin

• Administrator
  • Bellingham WA
  • Love all, moderate all.
    • View Profile
    • KBoards
« Reply #99 on: November 12, 2014, 09:46:10 AM »
Those are very good results, Pete! You've done a great job in creating something new and actually having a measurable effect in short order (amidst a string of long days, I'm sure!) Well done.
Flint and Flame: 15%

Authors: set up your own work-in-progress bar with our Author Sig tool.