Author Topic: Welcome to KBoards!  (Read 189098 times)  

Offline Sailor

• California
  • Babe of the Voyage
    • View Profile
Re: Welcome to Kindle Boards!
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2008, 09:47:00 PM »
Welcome Tranquil,

I can't even imagine having to wait until Christmas for Kindle.
Head on over to Accessories and start looking for really neat
things for Kindle.  Maybe a booklight would be a first step.

A leather cover for a second step.

The name will come when you meet him/her.
That which does not destroy me-has made a fatal tactical error!   You keep campaigning for a azz whoopin', you gonna get elected.  
It is not enough that I succeed. All who oppose me must fail.         You're never too old if you can still cock your pistol.

Offline Betsy the Quilter

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
  • Administrator
  • Alexandria, VA
  • Love all, moderate all, to quote my friend Harvey
    • View Profile
    • Betsy True Designs
« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2008, 10:04:30 PM »
Welcome Tranquil,

I can't even imagine having to wait until Christmas for Kindle.
Head on over to Accessories and start looking for really neat
things for Kindle.  Maybe a booklight would be a first step.

A leather cover for a second step.

The name will come when you meet him/her.

You go sailor!  Accessorize!!

Betsy
Goodreads Goal -- 75 books

Joined 10/27/2008  | Miss you, Harvey, Jeff & Dona!
Harvey Chute (1962-2015), KB Founder

Proud Owner: Oasis/Voyage/Touch/Basic/K1/Fire HDX
Betsy True Designs Facebook | My Store

Vampyre

« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2008, 11:38:46 PM »
My light arrives today.  Still no word on the Kindle,  grrr  What do I need a light for with out it?

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
  • Administrator
  • Alexandria, VA
    • View Profile
    • Betsy True Designs
« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2008, 04:40:24 AM »
Which light did you get, the Mighty Bright?

Betsy

Vampyre

« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2008, 01:14:39 PM »
Yes, and it wont work.  It's broken or defective in someway.  I installed new batteries,  pressed the switch and got nothing.  I'll have to see if I can exchange it.

• Administrator
  • Alexandria, VA
    • View Profile
    • Betsy True Designs
« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2008, 02:26:57 PM »
Aaargh waited all this time for some Kindle toy and it won't work!!!

I feel your pain.

Betsy

Vampyre

« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2008, 03:12:09 PM »
It's just the light, not the Kindle.  If the kindle came defective, I don't know what I'd do.  A broken light is depressing enough.

Offline Leslie

• Member 24!
  • Global Moderator
  • Maine, USA
  • Kindle Paperwhite for Dummies available now!
    • View Profile
    • Maine Desk
« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2008, 03:50:06 PM »
How many times have you checked the shipping status today, Vamp?

L

Leslie Nicoll

Offline Angela

• Texas
  • aka: tx_angel, A Wayt, Babe, Mom, Grandma, Hey YOU
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 19, 2008, 04:20:38 PM »
How many times have you checked the shipping status today, Vamp?

L

LOL, I was just about to ask the same question!!

so... "Where's my (your) Stuff?"

Vampyre

« Reply #34 on: November 19, 2008, 04:42:34 PM »
I have it in another tab so I can tab over and refresh it.  So I have no idea.

Offline Abeslol

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 06, 2008, 01:07:56 PM »
Hi -- Thank you for the welcome.
I received my second Kindle two weeks ago.  The first just died on me, and despite efforts by phone and online, it could not be rejuvenated.  Now with my second Kindle I find it "freezing up" on me.  This has happened two days in a row.  I did a reset using a paperclip in the reset hole in the back.  Is this normal?  I would hate to have to opt for yet another replacement.  Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Vampyre

« Reply #36 on: December 06, 2008, 01:44:38 PM »
Mine did that.  I found that it needed charging.  It's been OK since then.  I was trying to use Whispernet while the charge was low and i think that contributed to my problem.  The charge indicator was show i had a higher charge than I actually did.

Offline Angela

• Texas
  • aka: tx_angel, A Wayt, Babe, Mom, Grandma, Hey YOU
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 06, 2008, 08:51:39 PM »
I received my second Kindle two weeks ago.  The first just died on me, and despite efforts by phone and online, it could not be rejuvenated.  Now with my second Kindle I find it "freezing up" on me.  This has happened two days in a row.  I did a reset using a paperclip in the reset hole in the back.  Is this normal?  I would hate to have to opt for yet another replacement.  Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Hello Abeslol. Welcome to the boards. Hope you find a solution to your problem. I have only had the freezing up thing happen once while trying to download a file through the web browser. After a reset and a full charge everything worked fine. No problems since. Before I use Whispernet or the browser, I make sure I have a full charge.

Offline DeDe

• Minneapolis, MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 13, 2008, 07:56:12 AM »
I had heard about Kindles in mid November from one of my friends.  I have a tiny tiny house (665 sq feet) and no room left in my attic because it's stuffed with boxes and bags of books, which I can never find when I want to reread them.  The books are also overflowing into my bedroom and back room.

Anyway, my friend told me I may be better off buying a Kindle because it would save on space.  At the time I poo-poo'd the idea because I just love books...the feel of them, the smell, turning the page to find out what happens next...but decided to look at it online just for fun. 

And found that even with the price of the Kindle I would probably end up spending less on books over the year than I do now, and it would save a ton of space.  By the time I decided to commit and buy myself one for Christmas, it was around Thanksgiving and the turnaround time went from 4-6 weeks to 11-13 weeks...holy buckets!!  So I decided to hold off until the turn around time is more reasonable. 

Now my best friend is telling me I should probably wait for the new version of the Kindle to come out because supposedly it's coming out next year.  So I'm not sure what to do...I know buying one now will save me money (unless I go super crazy and buy 2x -3x as many books, which is possible) but I would be so bent if I bought the Kindle and a new one came out right after I received mine.

So anyway, I still don't have a Kindle and I've very jealous of everyone on the boards because they have one...I have minimum self control when it comes to gadgets (and I consider this the ultimate gadget because it combines both gadgetry and books) so I don't know how long I'll be able to resist.  :)

So I'll probably keep lurking until I finally pull the trigger...I've enjoyed reading everyones posts and seeing how they dress theyre Kindles.

DeDe

PS Where do I find a post that has all the things new people to the boards should review?  I think I read where to find it many weeks ago but haven't been able to find it since.

Offline Linda Cannon-Mott

• Assignment #118
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 13, 2008, 08:02:57 AM »
Thanks.

Welcome Abeslol! We are happy you joined us on Kindlebaords. Please go to Intro/Welcome and tell us more about yourself. where do you live, what type book do you read?

The reset has worked for me the 2 times my Kindle froze. Try Tips, Tricks, & Troubleshooting, there are threads there on frozen Kindles. Please let us know if your problem gets resolved.

Linda

Offline Leslie

• Member 24!
  • Global Moderator
  • Maine, USA
  • Kindle Paperwhite for Dummies available now!
    • View Profile
    • Maine Desk
« Reply #40 on: December 13, 2008, 08:14:48 AM »
Hi DeDe welcome! Thanks for that nice informative intro post.

I realize the wait can be excruciating. I ordered mine in April and it took a month to arrive.

We do have a link to refurbished Kindles here (see top of screen) and it seems like a few pop up everyday. I ordered a refurb two weeks ago (as a gift) and it looked absolutely brand new. A number of other folks here have also bought them and all (except one) have been fine. The one defective one -- the imposter Cubby -- was replaced by Amazon within 24 hours and that owner is now happy and satisfied, too.

As for waiting for Kindle v. 2 -- that's a hot topic of debate. There have been rumors that a new Kindle is appearing any day, but the days come and go and nothing. My personal opinion is that Amazon is putting its energy towards opening up the international market and that is taking precedence over introducing a new version to the US market. Many here will disagree with me. The point is, you can wait and wait for something that might appear in 12 days or 12 months. No one knows and Amazon is being very tight lipped about it. Or, you can buy a Kindle now and start enjoying it. That's what I did.

I too have a small house (1200 sq ft) and my husband and I have periodic major clean outs to get rid of stuff. This year it was the attic and you should have seen the stuff we carted away. Yikes! A year ago we had a major book cleanout and gave 12 boxes of books to my daughter's HS. Now, I love being able to buy all the books I want and not have to worry about finding space on the shelf to store them (or deal with the hassle of re-selling them through Amazon). Books and reading have always been my major hobby--I don't play golf or buy expensive jewelry!--and I love being able to indulge myself without worry about what happens after I am done reading.

Good luck with your decision and glad to have you here.

L

Leslie Nicoll

Offline DeDe

• Minneapolis, MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 13, 2008, 08:38:49 AM »
Leslie,

Thanks for the welcome and the info on the refurbished ones.  I'll probably get a new one because I don't like to read books others have already read...I like to be the first to open the book, major quirk I know...my friend just shakes her head at me   :D

DeDe

Offline Linda Cannon-Mott

• Assignment #118
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 13, 2008, 12:44:14 PM »
Welcome DeDe! Let us all know when you order, then we can all be on Kindlewatch with you. :) Until you reach a decision make yourself at home here. We are a friendly group and will answer any questions you may have.

Linda

Offline CS

• Parts Unknown
  • Five-Star Ranking Agent 337
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 13, 2008, 10:56:36 PM »
Leslie,

Thanks for the welcome and the info on the refurbished ones.  I'll probably get a new one because I don't like to read books others have already read...I like to be the first to open the book, major quirk I know...my friend just shakes her head at me   :D

DeDe

Refurbs don't come with other people's books as far as I know.

Vampyre

« Reply #44 on: December 14, 2008, 03:37:20 AM »
Everyone here that's bought a refurbished Kindle says they look brand new.  The only way they could tell it wasn't a totally brand new Kindle was by the colored dot on the bottom of the box.

The refurbs are about $30.00 cheaper, readily available, and ship right away.  The hard part is catching them when they pop up at Amazon.  Harvey put an alert at the top of the page that works pretty good so far.

Offline Marci

• Go! Fight! Win!
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 14, 2008, 05:14:43 AM »
Hi, Dede -

Welcome aboard!

Looks like having a Kindle will be a definite advantage for you, given your small house.

You have to act fast to get a refurbished (reborn) Kindle, they go very fast!  And, they only come with whatever you decide to send to it.

As far as buying books for the Kindle, many thousands can be had for free.  Amazon's Kindle store has most for $10 or under.

Waiting for Kindle Watch to start for you,

Marci

• Administrator
  • Alexandria, VA
    • View Profile
    • Betsy True Designs
« Reply #46 on: December 14, 2008, 05:59:19 AM »
And found that even with the price of the Kindle I would probably end up spending less on books over the year than I do now, and it would save a ton of space.  By the time I decided to commit and buy myself one for Christmas, it was around Thanksgiving and the turnaround time went from 4-6 weeks to 11-13 weeks...holy buckets!!  So I decided to hold off until the turn around time is more reasonable. 

DeDe

PS Where do I find a post that has all the things new people to the boards should review?  I think I read where to find it many weeks ago but haven't been able to find it since.

We have a Forum Decorum thread that you can find here:
http://www.kboards.com/index.php/board,7.0.html

And as for the waiting time for the Kindle, when I ordered one the end of November, it said I would get it the end of February/beginning of March; it's been shipped and should be here Monday.  Don't let the wait times deter you if it's the right device!  Plus they don't charge you until it's shipping!

Betsy

Offline DeDe

• Minneapolis, MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 14, 2008, 12:34:10 PM »
Betsy,

I hope I'll get it sooner too...I posted elsewhere that I did order one this morning (as noted before, very little self control :)) and it should be delivered mid March.  Nice to hear they won't charge until they ship.

I can't wait!!!

DeDe

Offline KBoards Admin

• Administrator
  • Bellingham WA
  • Love all, moderate all.
    • View Profile
    • KBoards
New to Kindle? New to KindleBoards? Read this!
« Reply #48 on: December 23, 2008, 04:40:31 PM »
Welcome to KindleBoards - your place for all things Kindle! Here are some tips about sections of our board that may be particularly useful to you:

Having a problem? Try this:

1. Try the search box in the top right corner of the board. You may find that your problem or question is a common one that has been addressed in our forums.
   2. If that doesn't help you, then post a thread in the Tips, Tricks, and Troubleshooting board, and our friendly members will do our best to help you out.

Want some reading recommendations? Our Book Corner is the place to go for Kindle books recommended by our members, as well as Book Clubs, discussions by genre, and bargain alerts!

Interested in Accessories? Get advice from other members in our Accessories Board!

Just want to share your joy about having a Kindle? That's why a lot of us are here! Our 'Let's Talk Kindle' board is the place for any other discussions related to Kindle.

Introduce yourself! Take a moment to post in our Introductions & Welcomes board. That's a good place to start to meet some of our helpful members who have pretty much 'seen it all' when it comes to Kindle!

We hope you feel welcome here at KindleBoards - the liveliest Kindle user forum on the web.

- Harvey, Leslie, Betsy, Ann, Heather, Linda, and Geoffrey
     Your KindleBoards moderator team
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 05:16:01 PM by Harvey »
Flint and Flame: 15%

Authors: set up your own work-in-progress bar with our Author Sig tool.

Offline DonnaJo1

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 08, 2009, 07:29:08 PM »
Introducing myself, My name is Donna, I am married mother of 5, grandmother of 7 almost 8 (in June). I love to read, it really is my only hobby (well besides the internet). I have had my Kindle for a year now and I read an awful more than I did before and I still have 12 pages of unread books on there! I have read here a little but I will go back and read more now, Thanks, Donna