Author Topic: How do borrow payments from KDP SElect workout?  (Read 1957 times)  

Offline Sarah09

• View Profile
How do borrow payments from KDP SElect workout?
« on: December 29, 2014, 01:19:37 PM »
I know this is a noob question, but I couldn't find a good answer on the kdp select faq page.

How does the borrow payment system workout? When do they announce the fund for a month such as what is the fund for December? When do you find out the borrow payout for December? Does this get added into the same money pool as your sales? If you had 10 borrows in December at $1, for purposes of the example. When would that $10 show up? Would it be included on January's payment statement or December?

Thanks for taking the time to look at the question.

Offline Vaalingrade

• View Profile
    • The Descendants
Re: How do borrow payments from KDP SElect workout?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2014, 01:34:43 PM »
- They announce a fund.

- They then change that fund to get the payout they want to give.

- Authors then get paid via the following formula: (Fund/Total Number of borrows)*Number of borrows the author had.

AKA: Vaalingrade | Twitter: @ParadoxOmni [I mock the mockable]
The Descendants - An Original Bronze Age Superhero Web Serial

Offline HappyToHelp

• Michigan
    • View Profile
    • Narcissist Support
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2014, 01:52:00 PM »
Amazon emails all of us around the 15th of every month letting us know how much each borrow is worth. There is a 60 day lag time with payments, so you will get paid at the end of February for sales in December.

The last posted borrow rate was for November, and it was $1.39, but you can't bank on any consistency with the amount. Your idea of planning for $1 a borrow is probably a good one--although I hope it never goes that low! :)
Ever danced with the devil in the pale moonlight? If you haven't, then consider yourself lucky. Learn the signs, pass them on, and run like hell. www.NarcissistSupport.com

Offline Sarah09

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2014, 02:02:58 PM »
Would them announcing it on the 15th be January 15th for December? Those payments will then be put into your spreadsheet for the month of December? How long is that lag time between them announcing it and it showing up as actual dollar signs in your sales report?

Online SevenDays

• PNW
  • Imagine something cool and witty here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2014, 02:06:07 PM »
Amazon emails all of us around the 15th of every month letting us know how much each borrow is worth.

They ... do? They've never emailed me. I work it out from the reports when they're posted on the 15th. Dollar amount divided by the number of borrows = the payout per borrow.

Alex A. King | Website

Offline HappyToHelp

• Michigan
    • View Profile
    • Narcissist Support
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2014, 03:27:21 PM »
They ... do? They've never emailed me. I work it out from the reports when they're posted on the 15th. Dollar amount divided by the number of borrows = the payout per borrow.

I think they email us. Maybe I am losing my mind. I could have sworn I get an email with an update every month about what they are doing with the fund, and how much each borrow is worth. Hmm...maybe we see that report elsewhere and it's blurred together in my head (completely possible).

...So the next time they announce the amount per borrow will be around the middle of January, and that will be for what they are paying for borrows in December--but you won't get paid until February. Confusing, I know. :)

« Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 03:29:48 PM by LolaWilder »
Ever danced with the devil in the pale moonlight? If you haven't, then consider yourself lucky. Learn the signs, pass them on, and run like hell. www.NarcissistSupport.com

Online SevenDays

• PNW
  • Imagine something cool and witty here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2014, 03:35:26 PM »
I think they email us. Maybe I am losing my mind. I could have sworn I get an email with an update every month about what they are doing with the fund, and how much each borrow is worth. Hmm...maybe we see that report elsewhere and it's blurred together in my head (completely possible).

I have a two-year-old. If anyone is losing their mind it's probably me! ;D

Alex A. King | Website

Offline katrina46

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2014, 04:01:39 PM »
I was discussing this with another author on a thread that got locked. This seems like a better place to ask. I only have one book in select. My month to date report says I got 49 borrows this month. My dash report shows 22, so I'm assuming those are the ones that got read so far. If the others don't get read until January, if they do indeed get read, do I get December's payout, or January's. Anyone know?

Offline Andie

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2014, 10:43:45 PM »
Your dash report is probably running a bit behind month to date. You are never told the borrows you get that are not read.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline PaulineMRoss

• Nairn, Scotland
    • View Profile
    • The Brightmoon Annals
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2014, 03:13:04 AM »
I was discussing this with another author on a thread that got locked. This seems like a better place to ask. I only have one book in select. My month to date report says I got 49 borrows this month. My dash report shows 22, so I'm assuming those are the ones that got read so far. If the others don't get read until January, if they do indeed get read, do I get December's payout, or January's. Anyone know?

The dash graph is usually ahead of the MTD, but borrows should be the same on both (sales are different; they show up on the graph straight away but not on the MTD until Amazon gets its mitts on the money). Also, if you see a blue blob on the graph, that means the book has been both downloaded as a borrow AND read to the 10% mark. You never see the actual download event, except as a mystery uplift in ranking.

Whenever the blue blob appears on the graph (when the 10% mark is reached) is when you get credited with the royalty for it. A blue blob today means a December borrow, the amount will be notified on the 15th January and will actually be paid at the end of February.

One other thing: if there's a discrepancy between the graph and the MTD report, check that the graph is set to all stores and not just Amazon.com. Nowadays several other countries have KU.

Pauline M. Ross (epic fantasy) Website | Mary Kingswood (Regency romances) Website 
Bookbub rejections: 57 and counting...