KB Featured Book
Wish Granted! Tips, Tools, and Templates to Write a Winning Grant
by Holly Rustick

$1.99
Kindle Edition published 2017-08-22
Bestseller ranking: 95983

Product Description
INCLUDES BONUS FREE E-DOWNLOADS: TEMPLATES FOR GRANT WRITING!

Grant writing shouldn’t feel like a trip to the dentist. Take the pain out of the process with this innovative and fun, yes fun, guide. Learn all the inside tips and tools of the grant-writing trade in this easy-to-read and upbeat book.
This book is definitely for you if:
•You break out in a cold sweat when your boss mentions the word ‘grant’.
•You’ve been tempted to throw your computer against the wall while writing a grant.
•You happily tell stakeholders there’s plenty of grants out there … but haven’t the faintest idea how to write and get one!
•You think you can send out a bog-standard letter to a bunch of organizations and get funded.
•Your eyes glaze over when you’re presented with grant writing jargon and acronyms.
•Your organization’s grant success A-game has r...

Author Topic: Laptop/netbook recommendations for writing?  (Read 3942 times)  

Offline deedawning

• Phoenix, AZ
    • View Profile
    • New Dawing Bookfair
Re: Laptop/netbook recommendations for writing?
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2014, 08:00:07 AM »
Yep, that's what pretty much all Windows computers do. Nothing to do with it being a Samsung, of course.

A lot of people dump 3-4 year old Windows machines because they're getting grindingly slow, when it would be a lot cheaper (and around about the same amount of hassle) to reset the computer to factory settings and start again. Backup your data first, of course!!!
That's a thought. You wouldn't lose Windows 7 would you? How about Word? I prefer Word 2003 over the later ones.

Dee Dawning | Twitter | Blogger

Offline carinasanfey

• London, UK
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2014, 08:07:03 AM »
I know the OP said he doesn't want a mac, but having seen that many people are saying their computers are only lasting two or three years, I just want to add my 0.02. Yep, they're more expensive, but my good friend Marty the Macbook, who is used aggressively for several hours every day, has just celebrated his sixth birthday and is still going strong (and running the latest operating system). In the long run, it's worth it. I did have to replace the battery last year, but that only cost me 60, which pales in comparison to the cost of a new computer. I <3 Apple.

Offline CASD57

• Idaho
    • View Profile
    • Live The Dream
« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2014, 08:40:48 AM »
For windows minimum 4GB of RAM

My HP Stream 13 (Win 8.1) runs fine on 2gb ram... It boots in less then 8sec and shuts down in less then 6 sec..
I've loaded Libre, Ywriter5 and Scrivener in it..plus Ccleaner, Revo uninstaller, and several win store writing apps and I still have 7.5gb left of the hard drive
 Also loaded in a Sandisk Micro SD 64 gb plus it comes with a year of free Win 365 , 1 tb One drive for a year free
pretty impressive laptop for $200-$230

C.A. Dayhoff | Current Projects

Offline Speaker-To-Animals

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2014, 11:25:23 AM »
I know the OP said he doesn't want a mac, but having seen that many people are saying their computers are only lasting two or three years, I just want to add my �0.02. Yep, they're more expensive, but my good friend Marty the Macbook, who is used aggressively for several hours every day, has just celebrated his sixth birthday and is still going strong (and running the latest operating system). In the long run, it's worth it. I did have to replace the battery last year, but that only cost me 60, which pales in comparison to the cost of a new computer. I <3 Apple.

The Mac Mini and MacBook Air are very competitively priced. It's if you get into higher end stuff that they start to really diverge in price from PCs.

In my experience, they do tend to get less bogged down with adware and search engine bars and all that, but for the most part if people would just run malwarebytes on their Windows PCs they could get the same effect. Also, while Windows 8.x is an abomination against god, you can get add ons to get rid of the Windows 8 parts of it and make it act like 7. Also, Windows 10 looks fine to me.

Offline deedawning

• Phoenix, AZ
    • View Profile
    • New Dawing Bookfair
« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2014, 03:10:13 PM »
The Mac Mini and MacBook Air are very competitively priced. It's if you get into higher end stuff that they start to really diverge in price from PCs.

In my experience, they do tend to get less bogged down with adware and search engine bars and all that, but for the most part if people would just run malwarebytes on their Windows PCs they could get the same effect. Also, while Windows 8.x is an abomination against god, you can get add ons to get rid of the Windows 8 parts of it and make it act like 7. Also, Windows 10 looks fine to me.
Hmm, Didn't realize there was a new windows. Thanks

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2014, 04:04:43 PM »
Win 10 is in technical release. It's freely available to download, but when it goes live you'll need to buy it or revert back to 8.x or whatever.

Offline David Alastair Hayden

• Alabama
    • View Profile
    • David Alastair Hayden
« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2014, 04:54:15 PM »
The downside of these new netbooks is only 2GB of RAM. That was fine for Linux on my old netbook, but Windows tends to be far more RAM-hungry.

I ran Word easily using 2 GB on a Core 2 Duo wi Windows 8.1. Windows 8.1 is less resource hungry than even version 7. They've done a really good job with that. So 2 GB of RAM is fine, unless you want to keep dozens of Chrome tabs open.

David Alastair Hayden | website | Facebook | Twitter | Wattpad

Offline Jeh

• Santa Fe, NM
  • My Wife is the writer, I'm the reader.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2014, 06:23:31 PM »
I have to admit I am amazed at the low cost of laptops as far what you get for the money.  I was in the market a few years ago for a machine at work and since I work in an automotive shop and its harsh environment I didn't want to all out on a high end machine and for about $270 have been using a Walmart special and its been rolling along quite well.

I happy that it has though since it's running W7. I played With W8 before my wife needed a new machine and we both really hated it.  Tried again with 8.1 and it was better but the machine died in less than 4 hours and I eneded up getting a refurb W7 machine.  The point of "apps" on a desktop/laptop eludes me.

There is hope though I've been playing with W10 and its much nicer. Much more of the W7 feel and functionality.

Though for personal sound the house work I wanted something even more portable and bought an iPad2. Combined with a iPhone 5 2 years ago Ive been super impressed with them both.

I had written a few articles for a magazine a few years ago and wanted try my hand at a novel and have been happily working on my iPad 2 with. Brydge keyboard and my much larger iPhone 6+. With the cloud programs on my desktop, pad and phone all synced using Pages and Notes it works nicely.  Granted a larger screen would be nice at times but the portability of the pad and phone are tough to beat and when I need to sit down me look at the big picture the desktops 27 inch screen works very well.

I want to get an MacBook Air when the iPad goes away but they are a bit out of that $250 price range.

Offline D.S.

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 06, 2014, 07:55:47 PM »
Since the OP seems to have found a laptop to buy, I won't add to the mix with further suggestions for a new purchase. But I will offer some potential solutions for his older laptop that is having problems, to keep as a backup machine.

If having fan or hardrive issues with an older laptop, those parts can be replaced, usually at not much of a cost, especially if you do it yourself. I think it would not be all that hard to do on an older machine, where fixing them was more of a plan with older designs, over the planned obsolescence of most recent designs.

About a year and a half ago, I had a fan on an older laptop that was making a lot of noise and thought it was done for, at least the fan. But, I did a search online and found a method for lubricating the fan. It helped considerably. That laptop is still running to this day. There are online tutorials for this sort of thing, as well as most other computer issues you will face.

Even if you have to pay someone to install the parts, a computer student could do that sort of work easily, at a low cost. The parts for an older Toshiba laptop should be plentiful and cheap on eBay, extra batteries, too. It's good to have more than one computer, in case one is out for repairs, so keep the old ones running well if you can, I say.

As for PCs slowing down over time, there are many free and easy software fixes that I have used to revive several machines that had become too slow, bringing them back to full, fast functioning, with no need for a system reset. The methods are found in this guide "Snail's pace to snappy! How to make your PC fast again" http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009GFCJP4/?tag=kbpst-20
« Last Edit: December 07, 2014, 05:27:42 AM by David Sloma »

Offline Michael Buckley

• Clemson, SC
    • View Profile
    • Author Websitie
« Reply #34 on: December 06, 2014, 08:47:38 PM »
Keeping the windows/temp file empty will speed of the PC.

Offline deedawning

• Phoenix, AZ
    • View Profile
    • New Dawing Bookfair
« Reply #35 on: December 07, 2014, 04:03:25 AM »
Keeping the windows/temp file empty will speed of the PC.
Is there a difference btwn temp internet files and temp files?

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 07, 2014, 05:41:10 AM »
Neither will particularly speed up your PC unless its critically short on hard drive space. Decrap it with something like malwarebytes and if its 2gb of memory or lower, bring it up to 4gb.

Offline deedawning

• Phoenix, AZ
    • View Profile
    • New Dawing Bookfair
« Reply #37 on: December 07, 2014, 07:33:39 AM »
Neither will particularly speed up your PC unless its critically short on hard drive space. Decrap it with something like malwarebytes and if its 2gb of memory or lower, bring it up to 4gb.
Thanks Kat. Funny thing is I have128gb left in one core and 200gb+ in the other, so storage space isn't the problem. Fragmentation isn't either as my laptop automatically defrags weeky. I do have malwarebyte. I ran it again and everything looked good. Self analysis says my response speed is about 38% of optimum, not good but not terrible. Where I have the biggest problem is on Internet Explorer. Response there is terrible. Chrome & Firefox are pretty good. I will admit I do load up the windows, but when I cut back there doesn't seem to be any difference.