Author Topic: 1 Week Training My Dragon  (Read 111115 times)  

Offline John Ellsworth

• Southern California
    • View Profile
Re: 1 Week Training My Dragon
« Reply #100 on: December 16, 2014, 06:01:54 AM »
My dragon is called "Red". No idea why, really. Still in the training phase, which will probably never truly end, and seeing the potential. You just have to stick with it. At the start, it was a real female dog that had me cursing out loud more times than I care to remember, but that could be because apparently I speak English with a French accent. I have no idea why that is. I don't even speak French other than "Paris" and "Vive la revolution!"

Regardless of my personal frustrations at first, well worth the investment - tax deductible - and effort. Highly recommended.

Love this.

audreyclaire

« Reply #101 on: December 16, 2014, 06:12:51 AM »
Using my Mac's mic worked great to train my dragon, but when I got to dictation, it misunderstood everything. So I bought a headset, and now it understands perfectly.

When I first used it, I dictated 500 words in 12 mins. I was in heaven. Then I forgot how to write apparently, and all I could think of was dialogue with no narrative. It stressed me out so bad, I considered returning the software. Now, I'm a little gun shy.

It might take some time to get back to it. Right now, I'm on a deadline.

Offline Elizabeth Ann West

• Schenectady, NY
  • Our doubts are traitors...
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: December 16, 2014, 06:14:11 AM »
 Okay I'm speaking as fast as I would a normal conversation to see how fast it dictates.  it's pretty darn fast. If I close my eyes and pretend that I have someone next to me, I'm just talking like I would to them. Being from the South, not the deep South, but the coastal areas, my dialect is a very fast talking one. When my sisters and I talk on the phone to each other, we often have told the other one slow down. So I think it's very forgiving when you're talking fast as long as you train it.

The only thing that slows me down a single punctuation. But when I'm writing, I'm starting to make that pause to say the punctuation thinking time so I'm ready for the very next phrase. Even with that "thinking time" we still talk much faster than we write. Unless you're typing over 100 words per minute, talking is going to be faster. I just managed to dictate all this in less than two minutes.

Jane-of-all-trades, mistress to none!
Elizabeth Ann West | Read My Stories Free!

Offline Lisa Grace

• Florida, USA
  • Me
    • View Profile
    • Lisa Grace
« Reply #103 on: December 16, 2014, 06:26:38 AM »
Okay, I'm sold. I'm going to buy it.  I'm being offered the Dragon 13 Holiday Bundle for $99 plus the wireless blue tooth for $100, total $211 for tax and shipping.

Is that a good deal?

Angel books in movie development
Lisa Grace - Where Good Meets Evil | author website | facebook | twitter | google+ | Youtube

Offline S. Shine

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: December 16, 2014, 06:36:09 AM »
Okay, I'm sold. I'm going to buy it.  I'm being offered the Dragon 13 Holiday Bundle for $99 plus the wireless blue tooth for $100, total $211 for tax and shipping.

Is that a good deal?

It certainly is better than what I got! I paid 74.99 for this http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LX4BZAQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and it is now 49.99.
Started publishing January 25 2013 :)

Online Lydniz

• UK
    • View Profile
    • Credentials
« Reply #105 on: December 16, 2014, 06:46:06 AM »
What is the difference between versions 12 and 13? The premium version of 12 is very cheap. Is there a big difference?

Offline Avril Sabine

• Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Avril's Website
« Reply #106 on: December 16, 2014, 07:24:09 AM »
This is why I haven't tried it out myself yet.  The way I think about the words isn't the way they ultimately end up on the screen, if that makes any sense at all.  For those of you who are using Dragon successfully, how long did it take you to adjust the way you think so that you could dictate your prose so that it comes out the way you want it on the page?  Or did you not have much trouble to start with?

My other question about the software is, how "forgiving" is it?  I talk fast, and (according to my wife) not always as distinctly as I ought to.

When I first bought my Dragon, I alternated between typing and dictating, quite often within the same paragraph. But it didn't take me long to start getting more into the habit of dictating. I still alternate between the two, but usually only because after several hours of talking, my voice needs a break. I also find that whenever my Dragon makes a mistake, if I train it then it rarely repeats that mistake. It's also very good with strange character names, once I've taught them to it. I also use it with a bluetooth headset when I'm baking, doing housework and even when I did some house painting recently. I found that the longer I had it and the more I trained it, the more accurate it became. For those who worried about what age programs it works with, I'm still in the Dark Ages and using Word 2000 and I haven't had a problem with it.

Buying a Dragon would have to be the second best thing I've bought when it comes to tools for my writing. A laptop would be the first and a treadmill the third. Although I do tend to do more typing than dictating when I'm on my treadmill for some reason. It's amazing all the extra things you can get done when you're wandering around the house dictating.

For those who feel self conscious about speaking your stories aloud, maybe try dictating them in a room with the door closed until you become more comfortable with the process. My kids don't like me to dictate my stories where they can hear them. They don't want me to ruin the story for them with spoilers about what's going to happen. They want to wait and find out once the story is complete. So I tend to warn them if I plan on walking around the house dictating and then it's up to them if they want to do something to make sure they can't hear. Such as hang out in their rooms with their music turned up. : )

Offline John Ellsworth

• Southern California
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: December 16, 2014, 07:24:32 AM »

Is that a good deal?

Maybe this is contrarian thinking, LG, but I had the wireless and now am switching over to the wire version (USB). The wireless seemed to have a habit of discharging and needing a charge right when I was in the middle of something. Word to the wise.

Offline Moist_Tissue

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: December 16, 2014, 07:35:52 AM »
Silly question: when y'all refer to training your dragon, are you talking about reading the sample texts in the accuracy section?
The Molly Malones: 100%

Siuil a Run: 100%

To The Valley's Edge: 0%
Siobhn Babhar

Offline Avril Sabine

• Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Avril's Website
« Reply #109 on: December 16, 2014, 07:43:37 AM »
Silly question: when y'all refer to training your dragon, are you talking about reading the sample texts in the accuracy section?

That is the initial training. After that, when it makes a mistake there is an option under vocabulary to add and train that word.

Maybe this is contrarian thinking, LG, but I had the wireless and now am switching over to the wire version (USB). The wireless seemed to have a habit of discharging and needing a charge right when I was in the middle of something. Word to the wise.

In your Dragon profile, you have the option of adding other mics. I alternate between bluetooth when I'm wandering around the house and USB headset when I'm in my study or in the car. I change between the two options under 'open user profile'. I find I often have to train both separately.

audreyclaire

« Reply #110 on: December 16, 2014, 08:06:24 AM »
Can some confirm for me, please. Can you not say commands during recording like "scratch that" "open quote" etc? I am transcribing a recording, but when I give commands, it doesn't understand them. When I dictate, it does. Is this normal, or did I miss some training somewhere? Thanks.

Offline Gertie Kindle 'a/k/a Margaret Lake'

• Florida
  • Remembering Jeff and Harvey
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: December 16, 2014, 08:10:12 AM »
Okay I'm speaking as fast as I would a normal conversation to see how fast it dictates.  it's pretty darn fast. If I close my eyes and pretend that I have someone next to me, I'm just talking like I would to them. Being from the South, not the deep South, but the coastal areas, my dialect is a very fast talking one. When my sisters and I talk on the phone to each other, we often have told the other one slow down. So I think it's very forgiving when you're talking fast as long as you train it.

The only thing that slows me down a single punctuation. But when I'm writing, I'm starting to make that pause to say the punctuation thinking time so I'm ready for the very next phrase. Even with that "thinking time" we still talk much faster than we write. Unless you're typing over 100 words per minute, talking is going to be faster. I just managed to dictate all this in less than two minutes.

Back in the dark ages when I was taking shorthand classes, we had to reach 120 wpm because that was the average dictation speed.

Please visit my website to browse my virtual bookshelf.
Margaret Lake | website | twitter | youtube | facebook

Offline TBD

• View Profile
« Reply #112 on: December 16, 2014, 09:47:21 AM »
I don't think this tip has been given here ;-)

For DNS With Scrivener - If you want to *talk and write* directly into Scrivener, without using the Dictate Box you'll need to make this setting change --
Tools/Options/Miscellaneous -- Uncheck the *Use the Dictation Box for unsupported applications* and hit the Apply button.

Offline MatthewBallard

• View Profile
    • Matthew Ballard Author Site
« Reply #113 on: December 16, 2014, 11:14:10 AM »
I got it last night. Went through the tutorial and worked for about 30 minutes this morning. I had many stops and starts trying to both work with the software and train my mind to think of the story rather than find the next key. I managed almost 900 words in 30 minutes which is mind blowing out of the gate.

I can close my eyes and just talk which is just freaking amazing. Thank you. This looks like a game changer for me. With a full time job and four kids, I can bring my surface pro along with me and "write" literally any time I want. Thank you so much. This forum never ceases to amaze me.

Matthew Ballard | website | google+ | facebook

Offline Scott W.

• View Profile
« Reply #114 on: December 16, 2014, 12:18:53 PM »
I don't think this tip has been given here ;-)

For DNS With Scrivener - If you want to *talk and write* directly into Scrivener, without using the Dictate Box you'll need to make this setting change --
Tools/Options/Miscellaneous -- Uncheck the *Use the Dictation Box for unsupported applications* and hit the Apply button.

Good to know DNS can be configured to work directly with Scrivener.

Is anyone here using the latest version for Mac?  I see lots of bad reviews for DNS 4.0 with OS X Yosemite, crashes, etc.  I've been experimenting with the built-in dictation that comes with Yosemite and find it's not bad at all and may be all I need. Just wondering if it's worth paying the $99 for the Mac version.  The built-in dictation works with Scrivener as well, and also with any other app in which you can enter text on the Mac. I'm sure it's missing some features that come with DNS and maybe it's not as accurate. Anyone compared the two?

Offline Jac1106

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: December 16, 2014, 12:33:48 PM »

I considered buying a voice recorder but seeing how well my cheapo phone headsets is working together with the phone I am pretty impressed so far.

Nuance has a voice recorder app for iphone/ipad/ipod. I think you'll find a similar app for android.

• Schenectady, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: December 16, 2014, 12:37:54 PM »
You can dictate commands. You need to pause before and after so it picks up you are giving a command. It takes a little practice to get it. I take a breath before and after punctuation which helps

Offline Scott W.

• View Profile
« Reply #117 on: December 16, 2014, 01:00:27 PM »

Is anyone here using the latest version for Mac?  I see lots of bad reviews for DNS 4.0 with OS X Yosemite, crashes, etc. 

I should have mentioned I was referring to the update: 4.0.6, which is supposed to fix the problems with Yosemite. But I should have read back through the thread more carefully, because I see several users here including the OP are using the Mac version with no apparent issues. I think I'll go ahead and jump on the Amazon deal!

Online Lydniz

• UK
    • View Profile
    • Credentials
« Reply #118 on: December 16, 2014, 01:07:48 PM »
Do you hardened Dragon users find it difficult to go back to typing?

• Schenectady, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: December 16, 2014, 01:51:56 PM »
I do.  I've been using my Dragon for probably 30 or 40% of the time I would originally have been typing and its been great for me for the time I now can spend with my family plus the lack of physical exhaustion. I do find about 8 to 10,000 words is the maximum I can dictate in a day right now with the holidays and everything else going on before mental exhaustion kicks in.

I dictated this for example, one because my hands are cold, and two because I have editing to do and I still prefer to use the keyboard for that. So I have to save my typing for when I absolutely have to do it. I really love being able to "write" in time that was previously not available, such as driving the car, relaxing in bed, waiting in line during an errand, doing housework, that sort of thing. For example, I can clean my house in an hour in the morning, be dictating into my Sony recorder, then have that transcribed, edit for an hour and have 2000 words done and dusted. Then I still have  four more hours before my first kid gets home from school! Who knows, maybe one day a week I'll start treating myself to a movie!

Offline Pauline Creeden

• Virginia
    • View Profile
    • Pauline Creeden
« Reply #120 on: December 16, 2014, 02:22:06 PM »
SO far I'm finding it great for getting the raw ideas down, but editing is virtually a re-write. I seem to be one of those who needs to think through my fingers so far - but I am not giving up yet -not by a long shot. This will rescue me from my carpal tunnel flare ups if I can do it. So I'm hoping that this will just take some getting used to...

Offline oakwood

• Scandinavia
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: December 16, 2014, 02:57:50 PM »
I usually write with lots of dialogue and the ," she said ," he said ," said the beast etc were killing my flow. So I did a test and simply skipped all of them and just dictated with minimum punctuation etc thinking its my story it can't be too hard to figure out afterwords who said what and add it in after..

and it works  ;D

So, fast-flow might look like

Mike Mom shouted. Did you feed the dragon or not?
I guess I lied. Sort of.

When I've gone as far as I can I go back and edit

"Mike!" Mom shouted. "Did you feed the dragon or not?"
"I guess," I lied. "Sort of."

Here is where I hope some of the pro-users tell me there's a function/plugin/trick for getting the ," in there without having to recite them... if not, I guess I'll be editing a bit more this way, but saying it is faster and for me at least is a help during talk-intensive episodes.. which means most of my writing  :-\

• Schenectady, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: December 16, 2014, 03:18:32 PM »
I can't speak for everyone, but for me, taking the day or two to FORCE myself to SAY the punctuation was key to getting it to work this time. It did NOT feel natural at all. Even now, 40,000+ words dictated since December 5, when I first start, I have to think to say the punctuation. Once I get into a file, about 5-8 minutes along, I do it naturally. It definitely without a doubt takes practice.

I also find doing something else while I'm dictating (driving, dishes, cleaning, stretching) seems to take the awkwardness away. It's like I keep the part of my mind that would be having an absolute hissy fit over dictating too busy with the other task that I can write in peace without my inner critic.

With practice, you can turn those punctuation marks into little thinking times.

Offline Paul Kohler

• Littleton, Colorado
    • View Profile
    • PaulKohler.net
« Reply #123 on: December 16, 2014, 03:37:24 PM »
I've tried DNS 11 with mixed reviews a few years ago. I ended up ditching it for one reason or another. It was either the accuracy, my mic at the time, or my mind not accepting the fact that i have to speak all the punctuation's. It was probably a combination of them all to tell the truth. I felt like the story suffered because my mind was on trying to remember to speak the punctuation's.

Regardless, I am going to give it a go once more! I have a bunch of tome off around the upcoming holidays, so hopefully, I can get the puppy trained. Training my mind might be the biggest obstacle though, so wish me luck!

P
Detour, Book Two of the Humanity's Edge Trilogy is now available! Click the cover today!
Paul B. Kohler | author website | facebook | twitter

Offline Hope

• View Profile
« Reply #124 on: December 16, 2014, 03:40:29 PM »
Does anyone know of an inexpensive cordless headphones/microphone set that will work with dragon?  Will any of them work?

Buy Scrivener for Windows or Mac