Author Topic: 1 Week Training My Dragon  (Read 113051 times)  

Offline Anne R. Tan

• View Profile
    • Anne R. Tan
Re: 1 Week Training My Dragon
« Reply #125 on: December 16, 2014, 07:20:16 PM »
Maybe this is contrarian thinking, LG, but I had the wireless and now am switching over to the wire version (USB). The wireless seemed to have a habit of discharging and needing a charge right when I was in the middle of something. Word to the wise.

I have a wireless headset too. When it works, great! But when it doesn't (low battery or Dragon can't detect it), I end up wasting my time fiddling with it. Urgh! So my wired headset is also my prefer one too.

What is family without murder?
Anne R. Tan | Website | GoodReads | Facebook

Offline Dean Murray

• View Profile
    • Dean's Blog
« Reply #126 on: December 16, 2014, 09:32:16 PM »
Does anyone have suggestions for a good Android app for recording dictation for later transcription? I was thinking that Nuance had one for Android, but that app is only for the iPhone.

I've tried a few so far--all of which have had a ton of static on them--and thought maybe someone here would have a suggestion that would save me a few hours of trying out different apps. My software doesn't arrive until tomorrow so I'm not sure how much of a problem the static would be on the apps I've tried out so far.

Thanks,

Dean

Offline Jane Killick

• Buckinghamshire, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: December 17, 2014, 12:03:53 AM »
Bought mine at the weekend and decided I was going to like it.

And now -- throat infection!

So I have to rest my voice, just as I was getting into it.

Ho hum ... so, for when I am able to speak again, does anyone have any tips for training my MIND to dictate my stories? As opposed to my dragon, who seems to be reasonably well behaved.

Mind Secrets: Perceivers #1 only 99c! Try Lucy Shea's women's fiction for free with Matchmaker Cat
Jane Killick | Jane Killick website | Lucy Shea website

Offline Leanne King

• Southend
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: December 17, 2014, 02:15:33 AM »
Here is where I hope some of the pro-users tell me there's a function/plugin/trick for getting the ," in there without having to recite them... if not, I guess I'll be editing a bit more this way, but saying it is faster and for me at least is a help during talk-intensive episodes.. which means most of my writing  :-\

In theory you can do this using text macros. On the Mac you can set up text replacements (I assume Windows allows this too). So for example you could tell your computer that when you type hetag, it should replace it with ," he said.  Then you train your Dragon to learn the word hetag, et voila, now you just say HETAG to get COMMA CLOSE QUOTE HE SAID FULL STOP.

That's the theory. The trouble is I have zero success in training Dragon to learn new words. None whatsoever. It ignores them completely. Apparently I'm not alone, lots of reviews say the same thing. It's just one of the many frustrating bugs in the software. Maybe the Windows version is better at this.

On the plus side, Dragon for Mac works directly into Scrivener and any other application I've tried flawlessly, without needing to alter any settings etc. No noticeable difference to using the built-in notepad (indeed most times I've tried, the notepad is worse). If you're editing an existing document, just remember to use the CACHE DOCUMENT command before starting, so it has some context.

Offline Leanne King

• Southend
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: December 17, 2014, 02:17:40 AM »
Does anyone have suggestions for a good Android app for recording dictation for later transcription? I was thinking that Nuance had one for Android, but that app is only for the iPhone.

I've tried a few so far--all of which have had a ton of static on them--and thought maybe someone here would have a suggestion that would save me a few hours of trying out different apps. My software doesn't arrive until tomorrow so I'm not sure how much of a problem the static would be on the apps I've tried out so far.

Thanks,

Dean

The problem might not be the applications but more the microphone in the phone. Here's a good article that explains why smartphones aren't the best devices for recording voices, especially for dictation.

Offline Gina Black

• California's Central Coast
    • View Profile
    • Gina Black
« Reply #130 on: December 17, 2014, 05:52:30 AM »
This is fantastic! Last week I bought a Bluetooth microphone determined to get my Mac's built-in dictation to work and it didn't really. Most of the time, we had a failure to communicate.

I've wanted to try Dragon Dictate, but I've always heard the Mac version was not as good the PC version. But, with the encouragement of this thread, I went for it. I followed the link that has the $99 download and got the 20% discount on top of that. Here I am dictating. It's a little rough and bumpy so far, but already better than the built-in dictation capability in my MacBook Air. So thank you all. I'm hoping this will improve my output because it's hard to hear my built-in editor when I'm talking.  :-)

Edited to correct the mistakes I missed in proofing. Does anyone know how to get this Dragon to stop using two spaces after a period?
« Last Edit: December 17, 2014, 05:54:36 AM by Gina Black »

Offline beccaprice

• SE MIchigan
    • View Profile
    • Wyrm Tales Press
« Reply #131 on: December 17, 2014, 06:59:00 AM »
are we going to have a Dragon icon like we have an Alphasmart icon for our sigs?

says becca, who has Dragon 12, and hasn't even opened the box yet.
]
www.wyrmtalespress.com  wyrmtalespress@gmail.com
Join my mailing list at at http://eepurl.com/JA5e1

Offline Olivia Jaymes

• View Profile
« Reply #132 on: December 17, 2014, 07:07:30 AM »
I''m kind of bummed.  I'm on a deadline with this current book so I haven't had time to take my Dragon for a walk.  I'm determined to write the next one beginning to end with it.   :)

Olivia Jaymes | Facebook | Website | Twitter

Offline Censored

• View Profile
« Reply #133 on: December 17, 2014, 07:08:15 AM »
That's an interesting solution. I like the idea of hetag, shetag.

I was just reading a tips page (it made my eyes bleed but here it is: http://www.voxscripta.com/Tips.html) and this was something I didn't find in the Dragon installation:

"4.  MAKE CORRECTIONS ! ! !  This is one of the two biggest things you can do to improve accuracy.  Dragon has
a rather average picture of your voice following enrollment - you have to teach it the idiosyncrasies.  If you don't
correct misrecognitions, it will be making the same mistakes a year from now that it's making on the first day. 
Making corrections does not mean taking your mouse and crossing out something and typing in the right word. 
It means saying "Correct <word>" and using either the Spell dialog or the Correction menu.  Doing this improves
the software:  Dragon is "smart" software, and if you correct it when it gets things wrong, it gets
better and better.  If you don't, it won't.  Just resign yourself to making a lot of them for the first week or two, and
if you do, you won't have to correct much after that.  (It's more of an investment than an ongoing chore.)"

Thanks for posting that. I was also wondering if Dragon "learned" from corrections. I hadn't been bothering to correct the misfires through the voice codes, but now I'll start giving it a try.

(Yes, I've also picked up Dragon because of this thread. Haven't had much time to dig into it, though--too many work distractions--but like everyone else, I'm hopeful this will help me increase my production and/or mute the inner critic.)

Offline Gina Black

• California's Central Coast
    • View Profile
    • Gina Black
« Reply #134 on: December 17, 2014, 07:16:27 AM »
Does anyone know of an inexpensive cordless headphones/microphone set that will work with dragon?  Will any of them work?

I bought this one http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004T6SBEI/ and it's working just fine.

Offline oakwood

• Scandinavia
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: December 17, 2014, 07:17:04 AM »
Thanks Pelagios and emilycantore! Sounds like there might be a way to really fly then!

Offline Dean Murray

• View Profile
    • Dean's Blog
« Reply #136 on: December 17, 2014, 08:33:11 AM »
The problem might not be the applications but more the microphone in the phone. Here's a good article that explains why smartphones aren't the best devices for recording voices, especially for dictation.

Thanks for this--I'll have to rethink some of my plans!

Offline Amanda Hough

• The Satellite of Love
  • An open mind is like to an open wound..."
    • View Profile
    • Amanda Triplett
« Reply #137 on: December 17, 2014, 09:48:28 AM »
Okay. So I was convinced and I got Dragon to.
I love this. It's a whole new level of multitasking. I'm so excited. I may never use my fingers for typing again.
Its most immediate application that I can see, is that I can now eat and work at the same time. Life is good.
A
PS space I have now convinced my daughter I'm a wizard.

"My fake plants died because I did not pretend to water them."  -Mitch Hedberg  Amanda Hough | | Web BRANES

Offline John Ellsworth

• Southern California
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: December 17, 2014, 09:56:54 AM »
I use Mac Dragon.  I'm wondering if one of you kind people would write out exactly what must be said to get Dragon to make a correction AND learn the correction? I'm using the software like crazy but I'm a little slow picking up this kind of stuff.

TIA.

Offline Elizabeth Ann West

• Schenectady, NY
  • Our doubts are traitors...
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: December 17, 2014, 11:55:13 AM »
John - Are you transcribing or speaking live dictation into the computer?

When you transcribe, you must click edit after it's done doing it's thing. Then you put the cursor in the notepad window it makes and starting at the first wrong word say "Correct ____" with your microphone.

When you are dictating live and it messes up, say "Correct _____" whatever it screwed up. It will pop up with 5 options. If any of those are correct, say "Choose #" being the number you want. If they're all wrong say "Spelling mode" wait for it to change, and SPELL the word.

Slowly it will learn.

Jane-of-all-trades, mistress to none!
Elizabeth Ann West | Read My Stories Free!

Offline TBD

• View Profile
« Reply #140 on: December 17, 2014, 12:02:27 PM »
In Windows, you can also train it ahead with Vocabulary/Add New Word or Phrase...

I taught both my dragons -- Aunt Lonnietta Maye Moberly that way ;-)   Needless to say, off the cuff, DNS wasn't even close enough to guess what the name was... or even if it WAS a name!

When you transcribe, you must click edit after it's done doing it's thing. Then you put the cursor in the notepad window it makes and starting at the first wrong word say "Correct ____" with your microphone.

When you are dictating live and it messes up, say "Correct _____" whatever it screwed up. It will pop up with 5 options. If any of those are correct, say "Choose #" being the number you want. If they're all wrong say "Spelling mode" wait for it to change, and SPELL the word.

Slowly it will learn.

Offline Mark Tyson

• Texas
    • View Profile
    • Mark E Tyson
« Reply #141 on: December 17, 2014, 04:03:14 PM »
ACK! I am going to have to do something with my two cats, Khleesi and Evane, while I am writing with Dragon. They think I am talking to them and they won't leave me alone! I shut the door and they both stand outside the door screeching because they hear me talking and they want in! I let them in and they stay right underfoot mewing and screeching! (okay screeching is an exaggeration but when you are trying to concentrate they might as well be screeching!) I write too many hours a day to lock them in another room, I would feel bad. I guess I will either get used to it or they will get used to it!

Mark E Tyson | Mark E Tyson

• Schenectady, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: December 17, 2014, 04:05:53 PM »
This is why I don't have pets. I have children. Children go to school. :) (I love my children very much)

Offline Mark Tyson

• Texas
    • View Profile
    • Mark E Tyson
« Reply #143 on: December 17, 2014, 04:10:56 PM »
This is why I don't have pets. I have children. Children go to school. :) (I love my children very much)

My children grew up that's why I have pets (HAHA YOU WILL BE ONE OF US! ONE OF US! ELIZABETH)  I do have 1 grandson now, (he's 2)  but he goes home to Mommy!

Offline Hope

• View Profile
« Reply #144 on: December 17, 2014, 05:14:51 PM »

Offline John Ellsworth

• Southern California
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: December 17, 2014, 05:50:31 PM »

Slowly it will learn.

Thank you so much. And thanks for this thread, Elizabeth Ann. 3500 words today!!!!!

• Schenectady, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: December 17, 2014, 08:05:06 PM »
WOOOOOOHOOOOOO John Ellsworth! Ain't it amazing?

I have my final tally, since I just finished my WIP tonight and my editors are finishing the last 10K (they edit as I go).

Since December 5th, I have dictated and edited 47,720 words. :) :) :) Not remotely possible without my Dragon.

**drops her sony IC recorder to the floor**

**then hastily picks it up and hugs it, hopes it's okay**
« Last Edit: December 17, 2014, 08:42:02 PM by Elizabeth Ann West »

Offline Mark Tyson

• Texas
    • View Profile
    • Mark E Tyson
« Reply #147 on: December 18, 2014, 12:17:27 AM »
Lol, wow, that's amazing. I can't wait to start using mine properly. Unfortunately there is some sort of people gathering going on that will interfere with writing time over the next week!

I may try to sneak my Dragon in on the people gathering ritual and hide somewhere.

Elizabeth, I got it Trained! I also bought some toys for the cats that I pull out during writing time. I am humming along now at a little over 3500 words a day so far. I want to increase to 5000.

Offline Lydniz

• UK
    • View Profile
    • Credentials
« Reply #148 on: December 18, 2014, 12:44:41 AM »
I am quite keen to give it a try, but aside from other concerns, I'm also worried that I only have a thousand words a day in me, so all that would happen is that I'd get the same amount of work done in half the time rather than increasing my output. Wait. That's still good, isn't it?

Offline Avril Sabine

• Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Avril's Website
« Reply #149 on: December 18, 2014, 05:51:02 AM »
I am quite keen to give it a try, but aside from other concerns, I'm also worried that I only have a thousand words a day in me, so all that would happen is that I'd get the same amount of work done in half the time rather than increasing my output. Wait. That's still good, isn't it?

More time for recharging your creativity. : )