Author Topic: 1 Week Training My Dragon  (Read 111005 times)  

audreyclaire

Re: 1 Week Training My Dragon
« Reply #150 on: December 18, 2014, 06:17:14 AM »
My concern is that I type somewhat cleanly. Now with the dragon, there's way more errors in the transcription that I have to fix. It takes me much, much longer than just typing. Yet, it feels so fun dictating. Maybe if I learn to make corrections. I still haven't heard from anyone regarding saying "scratch that" in the recording. Will it just never know what I meant? Anyone?

Online Elizabeth Ann West

• Schenectady, NY
  • Our doubts are traitors...
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: December 18, 2014, 06:24:29 AM »
I don't know about scratch that. I know commands work in recording but you HAVE to pause before and after.

Dragon is probably not going to work for everyone since we all have our own processes. I agree my prose is less clean when I dictate, but it cuts my time in front of the computer to 25% of what it was before to write a story and takes a ton of stress off my writing induced injuries. I'm 32. If it can happen to me, it can happen to anyone. I had tingling in my fingers for 5 years before any pain came. And when the pain came, it came like it had 5 years to make up for!

Part of the reason this happened was I was uneducated about the types of injuries my posture could create. My doctor said it wasn't carpal tunnel which let's face it, IS the poster child of ergonomics. But I've learned there is a bunch of other bad, bad things that can come as early as our thirties from writing in our twenties. Poor circulation, joint problems, bulging discs. etc. I am NOT a doctor. But I don't think these other problems get nearly the screen time they should.

Dictation is for all of us to protect ourselves. Maybe you can only use dictation sometimes, maybe all the time, maybe you wait until you are in a situation like me and HAVE to use it. I only wanted to make others aware of the mistakes I made so they could avoid them if they wanted to. And for me, the doubled word count still means I'm dictating faster than typing even though I edit.

Jane-of-all-trades, mistress to none!
Elizabeth Ann West | Read My Stories Free!

audreyclaire

« Reply #152 on: December 18, 2014, 06:32:15 AM »
So true! I'd forgotten the benefit of resting my hands. I am 45, and I had surgery for carpal tunnel in my twenties. I had a typing job and rushed nonstop typing for 90% of my job. Basically, I injured myself.

Now I hardly ever overwork my hands, but right now my elbow is killing me. I want to just live with it straight. Typing doesn't allow that.

Let's not even get into my darn eyes. I look like a racoon most days because I overwork them staring at the computer.

I think it does behoove me to get a better hang of my dragon. Okay, I won't give up hope. Thanks. :)

Offline John Ellsworth

• Southern California
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: December 18, 2014, 06:36:16 AM »
I'm sitting there all day yesterday, dictating with my headphone/mic on my head. Going like crazy. The headphone is supposed to be noise-canceling yet every time the dogs bark upstairs it screws up my live dictation and I get errors. So...I start fooling around with my Mac and discover that the headphone mic I'm using, which I have plugged into the headphone jack, isn't actually...working. My Macbook's built-in mic is what's picking up all the words and running with them. Duh.

So, word to the wise. If you're using Macbook, the headphone jack isn't going to work with your headphone mic. You need the kind of rig that plugs into USB instead. So...Zon is doing a return/new purchase for me today.

**removes headphone mic and grins sheepishly**

• Schenectady, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: December 18, 2014, 06:45:22 AM »
That's weird, my headphone jack works. I just had to go into settings and select it as the default mic. In Dictation & Speech in System Preferences I clicked the drop down and selected external microphone.

Offline Anne R. Tan

• View Profile
    • Anne R. Tan
« Reply #155 on: December 18, 2014, 06:46:15 AM »
So, word to the wise. If you're using Macbook, the headphone jack isn't going to work with your headphone mic. You need the kind of rig that plugs into USB instead. So...Zon is doing a return/new purchase for me today.

My headphone jack works with the headphones that came with my iphone. I haven't tried it with another type of headphones though.

What is family without murder?
Anne R. Tan | Website | GoodReads | Facebook

Offline Charmaine

• Philadelphia
  • New hair, got no cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: December 18, 2014, 06:53:52 AM »
I'm sitting there all day yesterday, dictating with my headphone/mic on my head. Going like crazy. The headphone is supposed to be noise-canceling yet every time the dogs bark upstairs it screws up my live dictation and I get errors. So...I start fooling around with my Mac and discover that the headphone mic I'm using, which I have plugged into the headphone jack, isn't actually...working. My Macbook's built-in mic is what's picking up all the words and running with them. Duh.

Yeah! I had the same problem.
On your Mac, there are 2 jacks.
First, which is closest to you (headphone jack)
Second, the other, which is farther away (microphone jack).
My headset only works in the headphone jack.
Plug it in and go to System preferences. Click on  the Sound icon.
It should be showing:  External microphone AND Line-in (your headset)
     If you don't see Line-in, then you could try the other jack.
When you do see Line-in. Select it.
Tap the headset's microphone, to make sure that the bar is going up. That means the headset is working.
Now, open Dragon.
Audio Sources:
You should have 2 devices listed. 1. Standard Audio Source 2. Microphone
   If you don't see Microphone, you'll have to add the device, by clicking the '+'.
Then go through the whole setup again, using the  microphone.
When opening Dragon again, make sure
1. Headset is in before you open Dragon
2. You select Microphone as your Audio Source.

Offline Anne R. Tan

• View Profile
    • Anne R. Tan
« Reply #157 on: December 18, 2014, 06:57:07 AM »
Dictation is for all of us to protect ourselves. Maybe you can only use dictation sometimes, maybe all the time, maybe you wait until you are in a situation like me and HAVE to use it. I only wanted to make others aware of the mistakes I made so they could avoid them if they wanted to. And for me, the doubled word count still means I'm dictating faster than typing even though I edit.

Hear! Hear! If you want to write for the rest of your life, you need to take care of yourself. I have an office job, and the stress from the typing and clicking at the day job is part of the reason why I started using Dragon in 2009 back in my blogging days. If it's not for the cube farm, I would install Dragon at my work computer too.

As for errors, I find that correcting them to still be less typing time overall. I'm trying to learn to dictate  while closing my eyes or looking away from the scene. I've always waited for the words to appear before moving on. After reading about Elizabeth Ann's recorder, I'm trying to get use to recording as well, and using the transcription feature. So far, I don't have much luck with the transcription via an app on my phone. I will test out a couple more apps, but might break down and buy a digital recorder (urgh, another thing to lug around in my purse) if the apps don't work out.

« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 07:59:23 AM by artan »

What is family without murder?
Anne R. Tan | Website | GoodReads | Facebook

audreyclaire

« Reply #158 on: December 18, 2014, 07:01:20 AM »
I love my little digital recorder. I used to use an app on my phone, but that was just for taking notes in the middle of the night when I couldn't see. The recorder I got is the Philips Voice Tracer for about $64. Okay, I'm going to go dictate for 30 mins. Fingers crossed. Hoping that will knock out the 2k I need to get done for today. I've only managed to type 1k because of distractions and just laziness.

Offline John Ellsworth

• Southern California
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: December 18, 2014, 07:01:57 AM »
Well...I just turned my Mac sideways-upside down-backwards but can't find a second jack. It's a Macbook Pro retina 13" that's about eight months old.

When I go to the System Preference selections for Sound and Dictate there's no line-in option there. No drop-down, nada.

My machine is jack-challenged. Hmm.

• Schenectady, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: December 18, 2014, 07:12:33 AM »
OHHH yeah my headset came with a splitter. I have a piece that plugs into the jack, then has two female endings for the mic and headset endings the headset has. This thing http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-headsets-separate-headphone-microphone/dp/B004SP0WAQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1418915543&sr=8-1&keywords=adapter+for+mic+jack+for+two+jack+headset+mic+and+headset

Offline Charmaine

• Philadelphia
  • New hair, got no cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: December 18, 2014, 07:18:42 AM »
Well...I just turned my Mac sideways-upside down-backwards but can't find a second jack. It's a Macbook Pro retina 13" that's about eight months old.

When I go to the System Preference selections for Sound and Dictate there's no line-in option there. No drop-down, nada.

I just checked your model. Sorry, mine has 2 (older model)
Just try the steps while using the one jack.
If it's not one step, then it maybe another.
I was using the external audio by accident for 2 days!

My headset had a splitter too. Try getting your computer to recognize your headset with and without the splitter.
My computer doesn't work with them for some reason.

Offline Charmaine

• Philadelphia
  • New hair, got no cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: December 18, 2014, 07:24:18 AM »

This means your computer isn't recognizing the headset. That's good, because we know where the problem lies now.

ETA: With your computer being MUCH newer than mine, there may be some changes.
After you plug in the headset, go as far away from the computer as you can.
Tap the microphone and see if the sound gauge goes up and down.
Even if the computer doesn't recognize the headset, it may be acting/ showing up as the external audio.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 07:44:05 AM by Charmaine »

Offline Lisa Grace

• Florida, USA
  • Me
    • View Profile
    • Lisa Grace
« Reply #163 on: December 18, 2014, 07:26:09 AM »
Okay, I went to nuance (dragon) yesterday, put it in my "cart" but didn't order right away. I came back later that evening, reopened, and a banner went across my page saying they would give me an additional 10% off (on top of the 50%) if I purchased with in the next ten minutes, so I received another $20 off.

This was for the professional version 13 wireless with blue tooth, and holiday bonus stuff.

You might want to try this trick  to get an additional amount off.

It's supposed to arrive by Christmas eve, so Merry Christmas to me!

Angel books in movie development
Lisa Grace - Where Good Meets Evil | author website | facebook | twitter | google+ | Youtube

Offline David Peterson

• Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: December 18, 2014, 07:55:07 AM »
I'm curious about people using digital recorders. Are you using headsets?

My thought is that I would like a recorder with some sort of headset that I can use on walks and whatnot. I'd love to have something that uses Bluetooth, but that's not an option with recorders, is it? And I was kinda hoping for something small. I don't really want to walk around with some big contraption on my head like I'm on my lunch break from NASA mission control or something.

Member since 02/08/2014 | webiste | (make your own reading bar)

Offline Scott W.

• View Profile
« Reply #165 on: December 18, 2014, 08:11:48 AM »

John, Your MacBook Pro Retina must have the have the same dual input/output jack that's on my 2014 MacBook Air. If that is the case, not all mics will work with it. I tried mine with an expensive external mic I use with my DSLR camera for video recording and it was not recognized or visible as an external mic in the sound preferences pane. But when I plugged in the earphones with mic that came with my iPhone, it worked great and the external mic showed up in the pane. The difference is the plug for mic needs to have three contact bands instead of two in order to work with the dual input/output jack.  Or you can use one that has USB connectivity instead. 

With the iPhone earbuds/mic combo, I noticed the built-in Mac dictation app is much more accurate than using the mic that's built into the laptop. Now I will order and install Dragon 4.0 after testing this. 

audreyclaire

« Reply #166 on: December 18, 2014, 08:13:19 AM »

My thought is that I would like a recorder with some sort of headset that I can use on walks and whatnot. I'd love to have something that uses Bluetooth, but that's not an option with recorders, is it? And I was kinda hoping for something small. I don't really want to walk around with some big contraption on my head like I'm on my lunch break from NASA mission control or something.

Lol. I used a Koss headset that works great with my recorder. I don't know if a bluetooth can work with it, but I hope so as at some point, I want to go out in public and record. I don't want to look crazy either.

Offline Gina Black

• California's Central Coast
    • View Profile
    • Gina Black
« Reply #167 on: December 18, 2014, 09:55:54 AM »

Oh no! That's what I was doing too. So I spent a bunch of time I didn't have digging around and it seems that it wants a USB connection. There are mics that are Bluetooth to USB dongle that work with it.

I also discovered there is an iOS app and an Android app that will turn your phone into an external mic as far as Dragon is concerned. I have configured the iPhone version and it is allowing me to step away from the computer while I dictate. However it's not as easy as that little headset. I would like to not only be hands-free but cord free as well. I have a bad tendency of trying to walk away from my computer only to be pulled back by the wires between it and my ears.

audreyclaire

« Reply #168 on: December 18, 2014, 10:15:05 AM »
I did 2k in about 35 mins. I had a lot of fixing to do because I was speaking very lazily and slow. I'm hoping I'll be able to speak faster in future. I would also like to up my length of time working.

My quality of writing is suffering somewhat too. I feel like what I'm saying is much more elementary, and I end up sprucing it up in edits.

I want to be able to dictate with the same strength that I type and do it much faster. Still, 4k dictated in an hour would be wonderful!!! I am greedy for more and to be able to do 8k in a day. I tend to stop when I know I have reached 3k because that's my daily typing goal.

Offline John Ellsworth

• Southern California
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: December 18, 2014, 10:21:17 AM »
John, Your MacBook Pro Retina must have the have the same dual input/output jack that's on my 2014 MacBook Air. If that is the case, not all mics will work with it. I tried mine with an expensive external mic I use with my DSLR camera for video recording and it was not recognized or visible as an external mic in the sound preferences pane. But when I plugged in the earphones with mic that came with my iPhone, it worked great and the external mic showed up in the pane. The difference is the plug for mic needs to have three contact bands instead of two in order to work with the dual input/output jack.  Or you can use one that has USB connectivity instead. 

With the iPhone earbuds/mic combo, I noticed the built-in Mac dictation app is much more accurate than using the mic that's built into the laptop. Now I will order and install Dragon 4.0 after testing this.

Thanks Scott, thanks everyone. Zon will be delivering a USB headphone/mic to me today. Then back to the WIP--at least I hope.

EAW: This is a great thread. It has literally changed how I write, for the better. It seems the story flows better when I'm not translating thoughts to fingertips to screen. Loving it!

Offline Brevoort

• Calgary
    • View Profile
    • The Disaster Tourist
« Reply #170 on: December 18, 2014, 10:33:18 AM »

I use a lapel mike (Olympus ME-52) with a Sony PCM M10 recorder to good effect. It works nicely for quietish walks or hikes, normal highway driving, and any situation that does not have a lot of extraneous sound such as children, passing street traffic, dogs, other nearby speaking people. That said, the Sony has excellent and easily accessible manual controls and I can set the record levels to defeat most backgrounds.

With automatic level control, all recorders will try to adjust to the initial sound level and that can result in a few seconds of poor sound at the beginning. Automatic will also try to defeat suddenly higher ambient sound to the detriment of what you are trying to record.

The Sony in my opinion is the best hand portable recorder out there. I also use it for broadcast television and radio production. But lesser priced recorders work nicely as well. I particularly like the Olympus WS-822 and the older VN-702.

However, the Sony has a wired remote controller which allows the recorder's buttons to be locked, but still remotely operated. This protects against inadvertent pocket button presses.

For good audio quality with a decent lapel mike, make sure it is not touching any clothing, that it is pointed directly at your mouth and not much farther away than a spread hands breadth from your chin.

There is one odd thing about using a lapel mike. Other people don't see it, but they do see you talking to yourself and the odd looks can get distracting. To go cloaked while recording in public, just use the voice recorder as if it was a phone. Presto, instant invisibility.

Rick Grant
Calgary

Offline Moist_Tissue

• View Profile
« Reply #171 on: December 18, 2014, 01:29:14 PM »
I almost gave up on it. Accuracy was becoming a big issue and it seemed to operate really slowly. On a whim, I modified the settings to select speed over accuracy. Strangely enough, it not only became faster but it actually became more accurate.
The Molly Malones: 100%

Siuil a Run: 100%

To The Valley's Edge: 0%
Siobhn Babhar

Offline VioletVaughn

• View Profile
« Reply #172 on: December 18, 2014, 02:00:05 PM »
This thread is timely. I plan to get this for myself for Christmas. I know I'm going to hate it the first few days, but the nerve pain I'm feeling in my shoulders is only going to get worse if I don't make a change.  Thanks for this thread!

Offline John Ellsworth

• Southern California
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: December 18, 2014, 02:47:06 PM »
This thread is timely. I plan to get this for myself for Christmas. I know I'm going to hate it the first few days, but the nerve pain I'm feeling in my shoulders is only going to get worse if I don't make a change.  Thanks for this thread!

I hope you don't hate it the first few days. My feeling was love at first listen. It rocks!

Offline Jac1106

• View Profile
« Reply #174 on: December 18, 2014, 03:03:07 PM »
In my case it was love at first transcription.