Author Topic: 1 Week Training My Dragon  (Read 114326 times)  

Offline JRHenderson

• Sussex, England
    • View Profile
Re: 1 Week Training My Dragon
« Reply #175 on: December 18, 2014, 03:11:04 PM »
Second, the other, which is farther away (microphone jack).
My headset only works in the headphone jack.
Plug it in and go to System preferences. Click on  the Sound icon.
It should be showing:  External microphone AND Line-in (your headset)
     If you don't see Line-in, then you could try the other jack.

I don't want to sound pedantic, but can I just point out that "Line-in" is not the same as a microphone jack; a microphone's output is about a tenth of the volume of a line-out, so if you plug your mic into the line-in socket, your voice will seem very quiet to the computer.

When I had this problem with my Mac Mini, I bought a Griffin iMic which plugs into a USB port and offers a mic-in and earphone-out socket...

« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 03:31:06 PM by JRHenderson »

Offline Avril Sabine

• Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Avril's Website
« Reply #176 on: December 18, 2014, 03:20:37 PM »
I still haven't heard from anyone regarding saying "scratch that" in the recording. Will it just never know what I meant? Anyone?

Try 'select [unwanted word]' then 'delete'. There are a lot of commands. Most of them I don't know off by heart because I don't use them regularly, but you also have the option to change them to commands you'd prefer. Not sure how, I just recall reading that somewhere in all the stuff I read when I first bought my Dragon.

audreyclaire

« Reply #177 on: December 18, 2014, 03:45:36 PM »
Try 'select [unwanted word]' then 'delete'. There are a lot of commands. Most of them I don't know off by heart because I don't use them regularly, but you also have the option to change them to commands you'd prefer. Not sure how, I just recall reading that somewhere in all the stuff I read when I first bought my Dragon.

Thanks. I don't know why transcribing understands period, quotes, paragraph, etc but not scratch that. Dictation understands it all. Now I can't seem to break myself out of saying scratch that when I record because I mess up constantly. Lol.

Offline Jason Eric Pryor

• Mobile, Alabama
    • View Profile
    • Jason Eric Pryor
« Reply #178 on: December 18, 2014, 04:37:07 PM »
Well, my Dragon software came in the other day, (YAY)! But....um.....I have a Macbook Pro and there's no CD drive to install the software with. (BOO)! So.....

My new external DVD drive comes in tomorrow, (YAY)!

It's cool because it's a Blu-Ray reader/ DVD burner. I've been needing to get one anyway, so this gave me a good reason to.  :P

Download Crash Wagon: Book One for FREE!
Jason Eric Pryor | Blog | Facebook | Twitter

Offline Charmaine

• Philadelphia
  • New hair, got no cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: December 18, 2014, 04:48:23 PM »
I don't want to sound pedantic, but can I just point out that "Line-in" is not the same as a microphone jack; a microphone's output is about a tenth of the volume of a line-out, so if you plug your mic into the line-in socket, your voice will seem very quiet to the computer.

When I had this problem with my Mac Mini, I bought a Griffin iMic which plugs into a USB port and offers a mic-in and earphone-out socket...

You don't sound pedantic, thanks for pointing that out. :)

Offline PamelaKelley

• MA
    • View Profile
« Reply #180 on: December 19, 2014, 04:29:51 AM »
This thread has inspired me!  I'm wondering though, have any of you tried the dictation that comes with a Mac? I was thinking I'd have to get Dragon, but just discovered dictation is built into my MacAir. I tried it out last night for just a few minutes and it seems to work pretty well and types right into Scrivener. Is that too good to be true? I'm not sure how well it will work with a digital recorder?

audreyclaire

« Reply #181 on: December 19, 2014, 05:00:11 AM »
I tried the dictation that comes with my Mac, but it didn't work well at all without a mic plugged in. I didn't try it after my mic came in, and I didn't try it for transcribing. Worth checking out.

Offline Elizabeth Ann West

• Schenectady, NY
  • Our doubts are traitors...
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: December 19, 2014, 08:19:06 AM »
 No slacking anyone! :-) :-)

I finished a novel on Wednesday, took yesterday to do some fun outlining, made a new cover for my pen name, and today I'm 500 words in on the next story. My Dragon likes to be exercised! :-) :-)

Jane-of-all-trades, mistress to none!
Elizabeth Ann West | Read My Stories Free!

Online Lydniz

• UK
    • View Profile
    • Credentials
« Reply #183 on: December 19, 2014, 08:31:01 AM »
I have another question: does Dragon let you use single quotes? I like single quotes.

• Schenectady, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: December 19, 2014, 08:42:00 AM »
I think you just say apostrophe.

Offline Charmaine

• Philadelphia
  • New hair, got no cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: December 19, 2014, 08:42:46 AM »
I have another question: does Dragon let you use single quotes? I like single quotes.

Yes, use the command: Open single quote or Close single quote

Here's a list of all the commands
http://www.nuance.com/ucmprod/groups/dragon/@web/documents/collateral/nc_008229.pdf

These are for the Mac Version. I have it printed out for quick reference :)
« Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 08:46:26 AM by Charmaine »

Online Lydniz

• UK
    • View Profile
    • Credentials
« Reply #186 on: December 19, 2014, 08:47:53 AM »
Ah, thanks. I'm glad of that. Just apostrophe wouldn't work, as it would presumably be facing the wrong direction half the time.

Offline beccaprice

• SE MIchigan
    • View Profile
    • Wyrm Tales Press
« Reply #187 on: December 19, 2014, 09:03:45 AM »
I finally opened my Dragon box - I got it through a groupon coupon some time ago and never did anything with it. It's version 12, home edition. Is it possible to upgrade it to version 12.5 (I've heard that v. 13 has problems) professional version, or am I stuck? What are the differences between 12 and 12.5?

My goal for 2015 is to start using Dragon after I finish the current collection (One more story to go! huzzah!), to take a break before starting the next set and learn Dragon, but I'd like to have the best version before I start.
]
www.wyrmtalespress.com  wyrmtalespress@gmail.com
Join my mailing list at at http://eepurl.com/JA5e1

Offline Gina Black

• California's Central Coast
    • View Profile
    • Gina Black
« Reply #188 on: December 19, 2014, 10:10:45 AM »
Can someone point me to instructions for transcribing? I made it through the initial training part, but I'm not sure how to make corrections that it will remember.

Offline TBD

• View Profile
« Reply #189 on: December 19, 2014, 10:42:44 AM »
I finally opened my Dragon box - I got it through a groupon coupon some time ago and never did anything with it. It's version 12, home edition. Is it possible to upgrade it to version 12.5 (I've heard that v. 13 has problems) professional version, or am I stuck? What are the differences between 12 and 12.5?

My goal for 2015 is to start using Dragon after I finish the current collection (One more story to go! huzzah!), to take a break before starting the next set and learn Dragon, but I'd like to have the best version before I start.

I don't know about upgrading to 12.5 but here a group that can help... and  you probably want Premium, not Pro ;-)

I prefer DNS 13 because it is more accurate and I can use the built-in mic on my fiction only latptop... YMMV

https://www.facebook.com/groups/25795099715/

• Schenectady, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: December 19, 2014, 10:56:10 AM »
Gina what version do you have? Then someone can walk you through it. :)

Offline beccaprice

• SE MIchigan
    • View Profile
    • Wyrm Tales Press
« Reply #191 on: December 19, 2014, 11:54:35 AM »
I don't know about upgrading to 12.5 but here a group that can help... and  you probably want Premium, not Pro ;-)

I prefer DNS 13 because it is more accurate and I can use the built-in mic on my fiction only latptop... YMMV

https://www.facebook.com/groups/25795099715/

thank you!
]
www.wyrmtalespress.com  wyrmtalespress@gmail.com
Join my mailing list at at http://eepurl.com/JA5e1

Offline Nancy Warren

• View Profile
« Reply #192 on: December 19, 2014, 01:10:47 PM »
I bought a Sony ICD TX50 for $199. specifically to work with my Dragon Dictate on my MacBook Air. It says mac compatible on the package but not in the instruction booklet. I can't find a way to get the sound organizer software.

I am not tech savvy so forgive me if I'm doing something stupid but can anyone help? 

Elizabeth, I'm in awe of your production. I do like Dragon and with a torn rotator cuff I need the help, but I find I dictate at about the same speed I type. Interesting how we're all so different. I'm dictating at about 1200 words an hour when I get going. Slower when I'm feeling my way. Which is exactly how fast I go when I'm keyboarding.

Nancy

Nancy Warren | Newsletter

• Schenectady, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: December 19, 2014, 01:21:27 PM »
Nancy-

You have to connect the recorder to the computer AFTER you have dictated into it and have the software transcribe the MP3 file. I don't think you can use it like a microphone plugged into the computer. So open dictate and create a new transcription profile. I name mine my Sony Recorder. It will have you listen and correct a minute or two of a file to get the profile going.

Offline JRHenderson

• Sussex, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: December 19, 2014, 01:33:52 PM »
This thread has inspired me!  I'm wondering though, have any of you tried the dictation that comes with a Mac? I was thinking I'd have to get Dragon, but just discovered dictation is built into my MacAir. I tried it out last night for just a few minutes and it seems to work pretty well and types right into Scrivener. Is that too good to be true?

I use enhanced dictation, and it works well enough, but I've heard that it isn't as quick or accurate as Dragon Dictate.

I'm not sure how well it will work with a digital recorder?

If you type "recorded audio to text" into YouTube's search box, there are a couple of videos that will show you how to feed the output from an audio file into OS X's dictation software.

Offline Gina Black

• View Profile
    • Gina Black
« Reply #195 on: December 19, 2014, 02:20:14 PM »
thank you!

I have Dictate for the Mac. 4.0.6

• Schenectady, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: December 19, 2014, 02:39:34 PM »
Gina -

When you tell the Mac to transcribe, it will pop up with what you want to do next. Click Edit. Then using your voice, use the commands to correct. Those will help train it to transcribe you better.

Offline Gina Black

• View Profile
    • Gina Black
« Reply #197 on: December 19, 2014, 03:46:31 PM »
Gina -

When you tell the Mac to transcribe, it will pop up with what you want to do next. Click Edit. Then using your voice, use the commands to correct. Those will help train it to transcribe you better.

Thanks! I'll give that a try. :)

Offline Nancy Warren

• View Profile
« Reply #198 on: December 19, 2014, 04:22:53 PM »
Hi Elizabeth,

Yes, I managed to do that, and called the new transcription source Sony Recorder too! But I have no software. When I click on my recorded file it won't open. That's the bit I can't figure out. You're on a Mac too, right? Where did you get the sound organizer software or whatever we need?

I've emailed Sony but so far nothing.

thank you. Most exciting progress everyone.

Nancy

Nancy Warren | Newsletter

• Schenectady, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: December 19, 2014, 04:37:33 PM »
No you need to go through Dragon. It's at the top in the menu, Transcription in Tools I think. That opens a window to browse your file to select the MP3. Just clicking on it won't do anything.