Author Topic: 1 Week Training My Dragon  (Read 111118 times)  

Offline Elizabeth Ann West

• Schenectady, NY
  • Our doubts are traitors...
    • View Profile
Re: 1 Week Training My Dragon
« Reply #75 on: December 14, 2014, 04:09:31 PM »
Me too! I'm sitting here transcribing three files as we speak! My favorite part is learning the word counts... it's like Christmas morning every day! (Will edit this to share the counts) My prediction is 4,200.

**** EDIT ****
HA! I was wrong! 4700 baby! Three files totaling 74 min of dictating and I've been editing for 40 minutes so far. I edited the earlier files while waiting for the rest to trasncribe since that takes a little time. I only have the last 1700 to transcribe and I will have another 4800-5000 starting at 5:48 PM and likely being done by 8:20 PM my time. 2.5 hours and NO typing. (Well minor typing since I am typing to edit tonight).
« Last Edit: December 14, 2014, 05:01:49 PM by Elizabeth Ann West »

Jane-of-all-trades, mistress to none!
Elizabeth Ann West | Read My Stories Free!

Offline Pauline Creeden

• Virginia
    • View Profile
    • Pauline Creeden
« Reply #76 on: December 14, 2014, 04:57:03 PM »
Elizabeth has been preaching Dragon software in so many threads, that I gave the free version for iPad a try - it's been very accurate, but that version has the annoying habit of stopping recording at odd times when I didn't want it to, about every 90 seconds or so - so I have to keep an eye on it instead of just talking and getting into my story. SOooo...I'm trying to decide whether to go the download route from Amazon or the in hand route directly from Nuance...

Offline Moist_Tissue

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 14, 2014, 05:47:41 PM »
I took the plunge and purchased Dragon Naturally Speaking 13 on Amazon for $49.99. Elizabeth has sold me on the benefits. Some of my best lines and ideas come to me when I am falling asleep. Sometimes, I start up the computer and jot them down. But that usually gets my brain cranked into overdrive and it doesn't settle down for hours afterwards. I like to think that I could be in my bedroom, transcribing until I fall asleep.
The Molly Malones: 100%

Siuil a Run: 100%

To The Valley's Edge: 0%
Siobhn Babhar

Offline Pauline Creeden

• Virginia
    • View Profile
    • Pauline Creeden
« Reply #78 on: December 14, 2014, 05:49:27 PM »
Do you have the Home Edition or Premium?

Offline Moist_Tissue

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 14, 2014, 06:00:07 PM »
Do you have the Home Edition or Premium?

Me? I have the Home. I know the Premium allows me to use a voice recorder.
The Molly Malones: 100%

Siuil a Run: 100%

To The Valley's Edge: 0%
Siobhn Babhar

Offline KGGiarratano

• View Profile
    • Kimberly G. Giarratano
« Reply #80 on: December 14, 2014, 06:49:01 PM »
Ugh -- why is the Mac version so expensive?

Kimberly G. Giarratano | website | facebook | newsletter | twitter

Offline RachelHanna

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 14, 2014, 07:36:33 PM »
For those of you who use the Dragon dictate app on your phone, don't you have the problem of it cutting off after 30 to 60 seconds? When I used it a couple of years ago, there was a limit to how long I could record.

Offline RachelHanna

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 14, 2014, 07:39:52 PM »
For those of you who use the Dragon dictate app on your phone, does it still have the limitation that only allows you to record for 30 to 60 seconds? When I used the app a couple of years ago, it had that limit and really disrupted the flow of my writing.

• Schenectady, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 14, 2014, 07:48:56 PM »
The Mac version is really that expensive comparatively. There's only one version for Mac, dictation and transcription in one. PC users can opt to only have dictation with the Home edition. Also, there are fewer Mac users in the world than PC so I imagine development costs too (but if they made the project opensource . . . nevermind).

Offline Pauline Creeden

• Virginia
    • View Profile
    • Pauline Creeden
« Reply #84 on: December 14, 2014, 09:49:25 PM »
For those of you who use the Dragon dictate app on your phone, does it still have the limitation that only allows you to record for 30 to 60 seconds? When I used the app a couple of years ago, it had that limit and really disrupted the flow of my writing.

Yes - I think it's 60 to 90 seconds on the iPad/iPod app - and it is disrupting, which is why I'm going to go with the home version now :)

• Schenectady, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 15, 2014, 07:12:44 AM »
How is everyone doing with their dragon this Monday morning?

Counting up my pretties, as of last night I have 32,670 words dictated and edited since December 5th. I dictated for 90 minutes this morning and I now have 5,000 words to go edit. there's only 10 more scenes in my WIP. I love the moment when I can see the light at the end of the tunnel and I feel like killing off the manuscript is within my grasp.

Online Olivia Jaymes

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 15, 2014, 07:18:38 AM »
Downloaded the latest version last night and looking forward to giving it another try this week.   :) 

Olivia Jaymes | Facebook | Website | Twitter

• Schenectady, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 15, 2014, 07:20:05 AM »
Keep us posted Olivia!

Offline Sheluvspink

• ...Somewhere only we know..
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 15, 2014, 08:32:36 AM »
I purchased Dragon this morning and so far have come to about 1000 words in about an hour with me still figuring things out with it. I am a really fast typist about 80wpm so I didn't know how Dragon would be beneficial to me but what I have found is when I am able to speak it keeps me from procrastinating and becoming so distracted and the ideas flow out easier. I am really excited to see how it will work when I start a new project. I will keep you guys posted.

Offline oakwood

• Scandinavia
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 15, 2014, 09:24:24 AM »
.. The ability to write while walking and gesticulating is great,..

I second that! I have a several Hurrah!'s in my new chapter which came to be while waving my arms.  8)
One of us should do a podcast or something.

Bulky treadmill to burn some calories? Bah, just let the Dragon make you pace.

• Schenectady, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: December 15, 2014, 11:26:42 AM »
So far I have amassed 8,000 words today to edit. Thats from 2 hours and 20 minutes of dictation. I am spitting distance to my story's end and just soooo done. So I'm breaking my rules and just dictating to get to the end then go back and polish up these words. I need to dictated about another 10-15K and that will be the end of this novel. Whoa nelly.

Then I have 5 days to work with my two editors to get it in ship shape by Saturday. Thank goodness we edit as I write, if we had to edit all 80,000 words of this best in 5 days, I'd be crying right now.

Offline Crystal_

• Portland, OR
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 15, 2014, 11:33:51 AM »
I have to ask, don't you feel self conscious talking your stories out loud? That's what puts me off. Maybe if I lived alone... or I could pretend to myself I'm telling stories to the dog.

My fiance really, really wants me to start dictating my sex scenes. Talk about self conscious... Geez.

Offline Pauline Creeden

• Virginia
    • View Profile
    • Pauline Creeden
« Reply #92 on: December 15, 2014, 01:20:40 PM »
Another author friend and I have gone in halvies on Dragon's BOGO offer...now the wait for the software to come in the mail...

Offline Hope

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 15, 2014, 05:52:29 PM »
I think I'm going to make the jump.  Amazon has 4.0 for Mac for $129.99.  I have dreams of wandering around the house dictating my story, as well as dictating while using my treadmill.  Can anyone recommend an inexpensive cordless headset on Amazon?

Offline Mark Tyson

• Texas
    • View Profile
    • Mark E Tyson
« Reply #94 on: December 15, 2014, 07:47:08 PM »
Ack! My dragon bit me today! I think it's accuracy went down! I have only been training it for two days though. I am learning that I occasionally slur words I guess. When I say end of sentence to move the cursor it sometimes will write out stuff like "in innocence" or "end of sent tens" bad dragon! or maybe bad slurring author!

Mark E Tyson | Mark E Tyson

Offline Christine Kersey

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: December 15, 2014, 07:50:54 PM »
After reading this thread, I was looking around for a free trial and found where you can get Dragon 4 for Mac for $99.00. When I clicked on the link, it said if I bought it in the next 10 minutes I would save an additional 20%.

You have to scroll to the bottom of the article to click on the link. If I post the link directly, it just brings up an empty cart. Here's the link to the article.

http://www.macdrifter.com/2014/03/dragon-dictate-4-and-the-insanity-of-nuance.html

Christine Kersey | Website

• Schenectady, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: December 16, 2014, 04:38:07 AM »
Mike Tyson I said pitch and it changed that p to a B. I write sweet historical fiction, I can't be having characters running around yelling THAT word. LOL.

I've also learned that when I get tired and put the sony record right up to my mouth, It Capitalizes Every Word. I think it thinks I'm shouting.

Offline starkllr

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 16, 2014, 05:44:56 AM »

I've tried DD a few times over the years and failed each time. My story-typing brain isn't the same as my speaking story brain. But perhaps all I needed was to stick with it.

This is why I haven't tried it out myself yet.  The way I think about the words isn't the way they ultimately end up on the screen, if that makes any sense at all.  For those of you who are using Dragon successfully, how long did it take you to adjust the way you think so that you could dictate your prose so that it comes out the way you want it on the page?  Or did you not have much trouble to start with?

My other question about the software is, how "forgiving" is it?  I talk fast, and (according to my wife) not always as distinctly as I ought to. 

What if you could see everyone else's dreams?
J.J. DiBenedetto | Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Smashwords | Goodreads

Offline Hope

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: December 16, 2014, 05:51:14 AM »
Amazon's price for the dowload Mac version just went down to $99.  Glad I didn't buy it last night.   :D

Offline S. Shine

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: December 16, 2014, 05:56:53 AM »
My dragon is called "Red". No idea why, really. Still in the training phase, which will probably never truly end, and seeing the potential. You just have to stick with it. At the start, it was a real female dog that had me cursing out loud more times than I care to remember, but that could be because apparently I speak English with a French accent. I have no idea why that is. I don't even speak French other than "Paris" and "Vive la rvolution!"

Regardless of my personal frustrations at first, well worth the investment - tax deductible - and effort. Highly recommended. 
Started publishing January 25 2013 :)