Author Topic: 1 Week Training My Dragon  (Read 113055 times)  

Offline Scott W.

• View Profile
Re: 1 Week Training My Dragon
« Reply #750 on: June 17, 2016, 01:59:36 PM »
We have a group on Facebook that I help admin, Dragon Riders, https://www.facebook.com/groups/1648134245442422/ if anyone wants to join. :)

I am tickled this thread helps people 1+ year later. That brings me a lot of joy. :)

Glad to hear about the group. Just sent request to join.

Offline ImaWriter

• Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #751 on: October 22, 2016, 11:28:23 AM »
Anyone here using DNS 13 on Windows 7? I'd love to hear any experiences, whether you upgraded or started fresh with 13. 

I've been using 12 for 4 years, and I was thinking of upgrading--until I started reading the Amazon reviews. The reviews are horrifying! I have my issues with 12 sometimes bogging down and/or just general weirdness, but on the whole it works very well for me.

Offline Mark E. Cooper

• Essex, England
    • View Profile
    • Impulse Books UK
« Reply #752 on: October 22, 2016, 12:17:37 PM »
Anyone here using DNS 13 on Windows 7? I'd love to hear any experiences, whether you upgraded or started fresh with 13. 

I've been using 12 for 4 years, and I was thinking of upgrading--until I started reading the Amazon reviews. The reviews are horrifying! I have my issues with 12 sometimes bogging down and/or just general weirdness, but on the whole it works very well for me.

I have DNS 13 on Win 7. Very accurate after training (by force feeding it finished books) No issues. It's my understanding that 13 is a lot better than 12, but I started at 13 so I can't be sure.

Offline ImaWriter

• Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #753 on: October 23, 2016, 05:11:16 AM »
Thanks. I think I might wait for a Black Friday deal and just buy 13 outright. Instead of installing/upgrading on top of 12. I think (hope) I can still use my voice profile that way.

Offline NAKBaldron

• Austin, TX
    • View Profile
    • NAKBaldron
« Reply #754 on: November 20, 2016, 02:14:25 PM »
I've got a question for those who've been training their dragon longer. When you launch Dragon how long is it taking for your profile to load?
At first, for me, it was close to instantaneously. I'm now about two weeks into using it, and I've trained it up several times. I've been sitting here waiting for over five minutes for my profile to load. Is this normal or should I consider this an issue? Any links to fixes would be appreciated.

Offline Amelie.B

• View Profile
« Reply #755 on: January 07, 2017, 05:53:58 AM »
Can't answer that question as I've just started training my dragon.
But I wanted to comment here because this was the thread that actually brought me to kindleboards :)

After reading the whole thread and trying out the windows speach rekognition to see if dictating is my cup of tea, I finally took the plunge. I'm proud owner of dragon 15 and a sony icd px333 with an extern microfone now. So far I'm pretty impressed. the accuracy is pretty good straight of the box, although dragon apparently doesn't like me writing dialogue and doesn't get quotation marks. :D

Since I found it very encouraging to read about the experience from others in this thread, I wanted to record mine: after a bit of playing around I dictated a scene in my wip. It took me 40 minuted as I corrected as I went to train dragon a bit and I got 600 words. Not much but 600 clean draft words and a better trained programm. I expect the word count to go up quite a bit. I'm also a real fast talker.

Does anybody else has version 15? how long did it take you to train it? I'm not sure how much time I should invest now to get better results in the long haul.

Offline Elizabeth Ann West

• Schenectady, NY
  • Our doubts are traitors...
    • View Profile
« Reply #756 on: February 08, 2018, 05:37:54 PM »
3 year later. I'm still dictating and slaying with Toothless. How is everyone else doing?

Oh and paired with Pacemaker's random word count generator, writing is back to being a GAME for me. GOOOOOOOOOAAAAALLLLLLL

;)

Jane-of-all-trades, mistress to none!
Elizabeth Ann West | Read My Stories Free!

Offline MaryMcDonald

• View Profile
    • M.P. McDonald
« Reply #757 on: February 08, 2018, 06:26:42 PM »
3 year later. I'm still dictating and slaying with Toothless. How is everyone else doing?

Oh and paired with Pacemaker's random word count generator, writing is back to being a GAME for me. GOOOOOOOOOAAAAALLLLLLL

;)

I wanted to try dictating, but Dragon doesn't have a trial version, so I found another option (I forget what it's called, but I'll post when I remember). Anyway, I tried to dictate, but that program didn't seem to allow me to go back and delete stuff. I'm not used to voicing my stories and it almost feels like I need to write it out and then read it for dictation--which completely defeats the purpose of dictating the story! lol

So, how do you all do it? I stuttered and tripped over my tongue when I tried.

The Mark Taylor Series-Intense thrillers | CJ Sheridan Thrillers
M.P. McDonald | M.P. McDonald | Facebook | Amazon Author Page

Offline Lauren P.

• View Profile
« Reply #758 on: February 08, 2018, 07:30:14 PM »
So, how do you all do it? I stuttered and tripped over my tongue when I tried.

I think it's like anything new, Mary. Practice. As babies, we crawled and stumbled and fell until finally, after much practice, we walked. Using Dragon is a lot like that.

Also, Scott Baker, the Dragon guru, recommends starting by dictating some of your own work that's already written. This helps you get used to speaking your words aloud and also gets Dragon started on learning your own style. Scott has written some excellent ebooks that are full of tips for using Dragon, and I found them invaluable when starting to learn dictation. It only took me a week or two before I found that I could dictate my work as easily as typing it.

One last suggestion: there's a Facebook page, Dragon Riders, where newbies--and long-term users--can seek help with particular problems. The FB page also has lots of informative posts that they encourage newbies to read.

Good luck.  :)

Offline Andres

• View Profile
« Reply #759 on: February 08, 2018, 07:31:55 PM »
What happens if you have Dragon and then you change your laptop? Can you re-download it? Would I have to re-train it? I haven't bought the software yet. Just thinking about it.  Thanks.

Andres Pelenur | facebook | twitter

Offline Lauren P.

• View Profile
« Reply #760 on: February 08, 2018, 07:54:47 PM »
What happens if you have Dragon and then you change your laptop? Can you re-download it? Would I have to re-train it? I haven't bought the software yet. Just thinking about it.  Thanks.

To be honest, I'm not sure. Perhaps Elizabeth might have the answer; if not, I'm sure someone on the Dragon Riders FB page would be able to answer you.

Offline Elizabeth Ann West

• Schenectady, NY
  • Our doubts are traitors...
    • View Profile
« Reply #761 on: February 09, 2018, 02:29:43 PM »
Usually by the time you change laptops, a new version of Dragon is out anyway.... but yes, you would have to re-download the software and train it. I'm sure there's some way to transfer over the profile etc. but I've never done it.

TBH, it's pretty darn accurate out of the box these days. I don't even train my MAC one anymore. I just plug in the MP3 recorder and go transcribe and like magic, there are words.

I keep track of my sessions, how long, how many words how long to edit and final word count. Dictation is most often vomit draft for me. I average 1,000 words per 20 minutes. Then I will edit that up and add to it, usually ending up with between 125-165% of the original words.

So 1 hour of dictation + 1 hour of editing that equals about 4000 words ready to go to my copyeditor and post as a chapter to readers to find snafus. I'm on the slower side these days as I have my hands full with homeschooling (somethign i was NOT doing back in December 2014) and a high school senior. But, 2 hours a day is about what I get to work, so it could still allow me to do a novel a month.

Right now I'm experimenting with writing 2 genres at once and using Pacemaker to keep life interesting. I don't LIKE to hit the same word count goal day in and day out.

As for getting the hang of dictation, I would say test out Google Docs dictation. And try dictating your TEXTS. Yep, all smart phones now have the microphone. But really, the BEST speeds come from recording an MP3 file and transcirbing it. When I'm on my game and continuously dictating, I can get to speeds of 2,000 words in 20 minutes. But I have a BAD BAD habit of going days of not writing that I'm trying to fix, and it's harder to dictate when you aren't loose with it.

Jane-of-all-trades, mistress to none!
Elizabeth Ann West | Read My Stories Free!

Offline Arches

• Denver
    • View Profile
    • Michael Arches
« Reply #762 on: February 09, 2018, 03:01:36 PM »

I've been using Dragon for about a year, and I recently had to switch laptops. Yes, I had to download it again, even though I have a disk version, and yes, it takes forever. The good news is there is a way to copy your profile and reuse it, and it does work.

Overall, this is the most frustrating and impressive program I use regularly. When its mind is right, it works great, but some of the time, it seems brain-dead and makes a lot of ridiculous mistakes. Usually, when that gets bad enough, I cancel the program and restart it. That usually helps, don't ask me why.

Offline Jaelynn

• View Profile
« Reply #763 on: February 10, 2018, 11:55:02 PM »
Happy yall bumped this thread! I just downloaded the trial version of the Dragon Anywhere to get my feet wet before I decide whether or not to take the plunge. Thanks for starting this thread, Elizabeth! Im excited (and nervous) to try it out.
Baby steps because I will try with my outline first, then later well see about actual books!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline D A Bale

• United States
  • author, editor, cover designer
    • View Profile
    • DA Bale Publishing
« Reply #764 on: February 11, 2018, 12:10:53 AM »
This is such a timely post!  I've been considering dictation writing for some time now, but which version of Dragon is best?  The basic Home version?  Premium?  Professional?  What are the differences?

Offline Arches

• Denver
    • View Profile
    • Michael Arches
« Reply #765 on: February 11, 2018, 07:11:57 AM »
This is such a timely post!  I've been considering dictation writing for some time now, but which version of Dragon is best?  The basic Home version?  Premium?  Professional?  What are the differences?

I have the latest professional version for Windows, I believe it's version 15. I upgraded to it at a discount hoping it would be more stable than Home version 13. No such luck. I see no improvement in the way it performs. Some people favor the version which allows you to transcribe from a digital audio recorder. I've tried that, but the transcription is much poorer than when using a wireless microphone with my laptop. So I'd get the cheapest, Home version 13, if I were to do it over again.

Offline D A Bale

• United States
  • author, editor, cover designer
    • View Profile
    • DA Bale Publishing
« Reply #766 on: February 11, 2018, 11:20:10 AM »
I have the latest professional version for Windows, I believe it's version 15. I upgraded to it at a discount hoping it would be more stable than Home version 13. No such luck. I see no improvement in the way it performs. Some people favor the version which allows you to transcribe from a digital audio recorder. I've tried that, but the transcription is much poorer than when using a wireless microphone with my laptop. So I'd get the cheapest, Home version 13, if I were to do it over again.

Thanks, Arches!

Offline Brevoort

• Calgary
    • View Profile
    • The Disaster Tourist
« Reply #767 on: February 11, 2018, 12:52:07 PM »

If you are looking for a version of Dragon that is suitable for transcription then v15 Dragon Professional Individual is probably best, which is not saying a great deal.

I have been using Dragon in one form or another since the early 2000s and while I have never loathed a piece of software more than DNS I continue with it because there is nothing else that will work as well for transcription.

All versions of Dragon Naturally Speaking have suffered from the effects of corporate eruptions, financial misdeeds, and a support team that simply does not give much of a damn. Yet it has succeeded in the market place because there is no, none at all, competition.

Now, it is worth keeping in mind that I no longer use Dragon for anything other that the transcription of recorded notes and long stretches of fiction and non-fiction writing. I use no other features and I never record directly into the PC. Accordingly, I cannot speak for how well the program does in other aspects. However, judging from the many negative reviews online it remains a shoddy piece of work that the company never fixes before releasing a new version containing the old bugs.

Version 15 came out about a year and a half ago with a revamped recognition system for transcription which did away with the need for profiles and voice training. Right out of the box I was seeing my handheld voice recorder dictations appear in Dragon with few if any significant errors. It also, for the first time, allowed transcribing more than one speaker at a time without having to do anything special at all. I am able to do interviews with more than one person at a time with little trouble.

The elimination of the need to set up individual Profiles for the different ways you intend to use Dragon is probably reason enough to upgrade to the latest version. No other area generates more frustrations with Dragon users than troubles with their recording Profiles. The new version is smart enough to figure that stuff out on its own and I applaud Nuance for getting things right.

I run Dragon Professional Individual (v15) for PC on a MacBook under Parallels  and Win 10. I occasionally use it on my Windows PC without trouble but 90% of the time it is on the MacBook.

That said, as is typical for Dragon software, version 15 was released too early.

One can, as in other versions, ask Dragon to transcribe a note from a recorder in the USB slot or from a folder. That works fine, but if it has errors that you want Dragon to learn about you must correct them in the same work session. One cannot import a transcription, disconnect from Dragon, and then come back expecting to pick up correcting where you left off. 

But new to this version is a feature that I believe used to be only available in the medical and legal versions. It is, for want of a better term, a stand alone batch program. This allows the import and transcription of many files at once and if you have set things so the program can use its own .DRA file format for use in DragonPad then you can come and go in different sessions making corrections.

All well and good, except that for a bunch of reasons the Auto Transcribe Agent fails to work, or stops, or sulks and quits without giving you a clue as to what went wrong.

it took me a while at the beginning to realize that to use the auto feature I had to, absolutely must, exit Dragon Naturally Speaking completely, and only then run the Auto Transcribe folder Agent which is a separate and incompatible piece of software.

Once the process is finished, you can restart Dragon and Import the .DRA files into DragonPad. You can also import RTF DOC and I think some others but corrections made in those files will not be retained and learned from in the program.

But one cannot rely on this weird process to work all the time. Ive had countless times when everything just seizes only to start working again the next time I start the program.

The company behind Dragon has little interest in providing support. For some ten years I have emailed and called them about issues and either received wrong information, or no information at all. Version 15 has gone about a year and a half without any updates which is pretty typical for this company. I fully expect that when the next version comes out that many of weirdnesses will be retained yet I will have to pay yet again. The support materials on line at Nuance are a mess. A search through the Knowledge Base will return all sorts of stuff relevant to very old and discontinued products, or offer advice that is simply no longer relevant.

It is not at all hard to find many, perhaps hundreds, of reviews similar to mine. And things are much much worse for users of the Mac version, although I recently read that the latest Mac version shows some signs of improvement.

Again, my comments only reflect my usage which is for transcription only. And again, I have to say that the internal software for turning digital audio into print in the latest version is very good. But thats like saying a Ferrari or Lotus are great cars, which is true, but only when they work.

A note on price. Search for discount coupons and price deals. Dragon is grossly overpriced and third part sellers can often offer good discounts. When Dragon Individual Professional, (the latest version) came out I was able to secure an introductory price of less than a hundred dollars. The going retail price is just short of $300.

One other thing. If you want to be able to import and transcribe your recordings do not buy any of the Home versions. That feature is deliberately crippled in Home versions, and I believe Student, and possibly Academic not sure on the later. Read the detailed features of the version you want to buy with care.

In my opinion, the best book you can buy about Dragon is Scott Bakers The Writer's Guide to Training Your Dragon: Using Speech Recognition Software to Dictate Your Book and Supercharge Your Writing Workflow

Available in ebook and other formats

I have no connection etc etc

Rick Grant
Calgary

Offline Andres

• View Profile
« Reply #768 on: February 11, 2018, 04:01:11 PM »
Thanks to Elizabeth and everyone for all the insightful advice!

Andres Pelenur | facebook | twitter