Need Perfect Gift? Shop Amazon Gift Cards. Any Occasion.

Author Topic: Cross promotion question  (Read 244 times)  

Offline NeilMosspark

• Building a universe
    • View Profile
Cross promotion question
« on: September 19, 2017, 07:34:10 AM »
Hey everyone,
I had a thought this morning, during the last cross promotion I got a person on my list who was adamant that they did not sign up, and they went so far as to report a grievance with mailchimp.

It was pretty easy to identify from my end that it was the cross promotion for an instafreebie book. Out of this I got a warning from Mailchimp basicly saying that I can't add random people to my list. the situation was resolved, and I continued on my merry way. (I don't add random people to my newsletter/fan list).

Has anyone else had these sort of experiences from readers who are 'bulk adding' books from the cross promotion? and maybe forgot they added you or your book? I want to know how common this is?

The reason I asked was that I signed up to be added to a cross promotion mailing list, then was blasted by at least ten authors within the span of a few days. there was a lot of quick unsubscribes on my part, but I suddenly got a feeling of what a reader might feel once they have given away their email address for a few free books. I felt a bit overwhelmed by the immediacy of the newsletters.

Thoughts?

Neil Mosspark | Website | Twitter Feed | Facebook Page

Online Bill Hiatt

• California
    • View Profile
    • Bill Hiatt's Author Website
Re: Cross promotion question
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2017, 08:03:36 AM »
Hey everyone,
I had a thought this morning, during the last cross promotion I got a person on my list who was adamant that they did not sign up, and they went so far as to report a grievance with mailchimp.

It was pretty easy to identify from my end that it was the cross promotion for an instafreebie book. Out of this I got a warning from Mailchimp basicly saying that I can't add random people to my list. the situation was resolved, and I continued on my merry way. (I don't add random people to my newsletter/fan list).

Has anyone else had these sort of experiences from readers who are 'bulk adding' books from the cross promotion? and maybe forgot they added you or your book? I want to know how common this is?

The reason I asked was that I signed up to be added to a cross promotion mailing list, then was blasted by at least ten authors within the span of a few days. there was a lot of quick unsubscribes on my part, but I suddenly got a feeling of what a reader might feel once they have given away their email address for a few free books. I felt a bit overwhelmed by the immediacy of the newsletters.

Thoughts?
I'm a little gun-shy about mailing list building cross-promos for exactly that reason, even though I know some people have been quite successful with it. (I don't use IF, but I have tried some of those mailing list builder giveaways.)

I think a lot of people sign up (or say it's OK to sign them up for all authors in the promo), but in a lot of cases that isn't really what they want. I did participate in one mailing list builder in which the promoter offered to send out emails to participants on behalf of an author inviting the participants to subscribe to that author's list (rather than just being added on the strength of their willingness to added to the lists of all authors). I took advantage of that author. Hundreds of people had participated in the related giveaway--and two actually signed up for my mailing list after a specific invitation to do so. I could have added hundreds of people to my list who didn't really want to be there. Sigh!

Tickling the imagination one book at a time
Bill Hiatt | fiction website | education website | Facebook author page | Twitter

Offline Lorri Moulton

• Author of Romances, Mysteries, and Fairytales
    • View Profile
    • Lavender Lass Books
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2017, 11:44:35 AM »
I don't do a mailing list (gasp!) but I'm not recommending this to everyone else.  Many people swear by them and that's great!  I'm not an expert on marketing and I don't pay for advertising because it's not in the budget right now.

I just know that so far, my Wordpress 'follow' button has done really well for me.  People can follow me or not and don't have to give me any information.  If I send out a new blog post, they get an email.  If they don't like it, they can unfollow me.  I had about 49 followers until my Kindle Scout free book and then I suddenly got over 800.  Nice surprise!

Just mentioned this to let people know it works for me.  If I change from Wordpress, I won't have any info...but I don't plan to change.  I'm really happy with them. :)

Author of Romances, Mysteries, Fairytales and Historical Non-Fiction.
Lorri Moulton | Website | Amazon | Facebook | Twitter

Offline NeilMosspark

• Building a universe
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2017, 07:36:03 PM »
I just know that so far, my Wordpress 'follow' button has done really well for me.  People can follow me or not and don't have to give me any information.  If I send out a new blog post, they get an email.  If they don't like it, they can unfollow me.  I had about 49 followers until my Kindle Scout free book and then I suddenly got over 800.  Nice surprise!

Just mentioned this to let people know it works for me.  If I change from Wordpress, I won't have any info...but I don't plan to change.  I'm really happy with them. :)

That's actually a really nice way of doing it. I wonder if wordpress email notifications go to the promotions tab in gmail.

Neil Mosspark | Website | Twitter Feed | Facebook Page