KB Featured Book
No Direction Home
by Elizabeth Burns

$0.00
Kindle Edition published 2017-05-20
Bestseller ranking: 81281

Product Description
Hunter Grayson flits from job to job, relationship to relationship, continent to continent until thetragic death of her parents brings her back to her childhood home.While trying to figure out how to move forward, she meets wild, fun Natalya Haven, who quickly becomes the sister she never had. But when Natalya moves in, their friendship unravels.
A second tragedy sends Hunter to a small town in New Mexico, a town out of her own past. For Hunter, that's more than a coincidence, that's fate. Natalya's family will fill the void in her life. Natalya's parents will become her parents. She and Natalya's brother will fall in love. But nothing is ever that simple....

Author Topic: Evenstar's Monster Post on Amazon Keywords  (Read 94294 times)  

Offline Monique

• California
    • View Profile
    • Written by Monique
Re: Evenstar's Monster Post on Amazon Keywords
« Reply #50 on: January 02, 2015, 01:49:04 PM »
Something has changed then. I accidentally found my way into a superhero category when I used the word hero in my description. It went something like this: "Shima is a hero of great renown, and has survived many battles..."

I wrote that as part of my description, and bang, I'm in a superhero category! I didn't choose any keywords using hero. It only appears in the blurb. I knew Google and Kobo used the description for its searches, I learned that Amazon searches on titles, series titles, sub titles FIRST, but does seem to judge descriptions as well. I think they're considered of lesser importance, and the algo gives them less weight than titles, but they ARE used.

What book is this?

Monique Martin | author website | facebook | twitter

Online Mark E. Cooper

• Essex, England
    • View Profile
    • Impulse Books UK
« Reply #51 on: January 02, 2015, 01:55:10 PM »
What book is this?

It was Operation Oracle, but like I say, my book isn't a super hero book. I changed the blurb and now have these cats (the superhero went away when I changed the blurb)

Books > Literature & Fiction
Books > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Alien Invasion
Books > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Exploration
Books > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > First Contact
Books > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Galactic Empire
Books > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Military > Space Fleet
Books > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Military > Space Marine
Books > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Space Opera
Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Alien Invasion
Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > First Contact
Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Galactic Empire
Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Military > Space Fleet
Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Military > Space Marine
Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Space Exploration
Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Space Opera

Offline Monique

• California
    • View Profile
    • Written by Monique
« Reply #52 on: January 02, 2015, 01:58:39 PM »
Intersting. I think it's v possible (probable?) that keywords in the description can lead to categories, but perhaps are not searchable. For instance, Burgton should bring up your book if the description is searchable, but it doesn't.

Monique Martin | author website | facebook | twitter

Offline Cherise

• Spokane, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 02, 2015, 02:07:47 PM »
There's no need to include any commas at all in KDP.   ;D

This gives you more characters for words and eliminates the worry about needing to repeat words between different commas. I heard we got 350 characters. Someone else said 400. It will say you have 6 keywords left, but just ignore that.

Createspace makes you use commas by limiting the number of words between them.

Offline JessieCar

• UK
    • View Profile
    • shamansland
« Reply #54 on: January 02, 2015, 03:21:44 PM »
There's no need to include any commas at all in KDP.   ;D

This gives you more characters for words and eliminates the worry about needing to repeat words between different commas. I heard we got 350 characters. Someone else said 400. It will say you have 6 keywords left, but just ignore that.

Createspace makes you use commas by limiting the number of words between them.

I'm not sure whether I've got this - but if you don't use the commas to separate your keywords - wouldn't that just give you one long (and very specific) search string?

I thought from what was said earlier in the thread that, the more words you use in a search, the more it narrows down. And likewise with keywords?
Jessica Rydill | shamansland | Facebook

Offline Kylo Ren

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 02, 2015, 03:24:14 PM »
I'm not sure whether I've got this - but if you don't use the commas to separate your keywords - wouldn't that just give you one long (and very specific) search string?

I thought from what was said earlier in the thread that, the more words you use in a search, the more it narrows down. And likewise with keywords?

I don't think it matters what order the words are in, so it wouldn't be specific.

Offline ruecole

• Greater Vancouver, BC
    • View Profile
    • Rachel Elizabeth Cole
« Reply #56 on: January 02, 2015, 03:28:20 PM »
You definitely don't want to use quotes in your keywords, but if readers use quotes to search for your keywords, it will affect their results.

Ah, okay. Misunderstood your first post. Quotes for searches. No quotes for keywords. I can agree with that. :)

Rue

Rachel Elizabeth Cole Website | Facebook | Twitter | Blog | Littera Designs

Offline ruecole

• Greater Vancouver, BC
    • View Profile
    • Rachel Elizabeth Cole
« Reply #57 on: January 02, 2015, 03:31:12 PM »
Jessie, Amazon will pull any and all keywords in any order from your list when creating search results. I still use the commas, but as Cherise says, you probably don't have to.

Rue

Rachel Elizabeth Cole Website | Facebook | Twitter | Blog | Littera Designs

Offline JessieCar

• UK
    • View Profile
    • shamansland
« Reply #58 on: January 02, 2015, 03:32:12 PM »
Jessie, Amazon will pull any and all keywords in any order from your list when creating search results. I still use the commas, but as Cherise says, you probably don't have to.

Rue

Thank you Rue! I was finding it hard to get my head round that. ;)

Offline Bob Stewart

• View Profile
    • Street Car Mysteries
« Reply #59 on: January 02, 2015, 03:38:16 PM »
I need to do more research, because my key question is this: Are searches based on your keywords exact matches, full word matches, or just any of the words in the list needed to match. ...

I've tested this and it seems to me word order is irrelevant. Say you have seven extended phrases for your keywords and someone searches the last word of one and the first word of another, your book will still show up.

Offline Scout

• View Profile
« Reply #60 on: January 02, 2015, 03:51:24 PM »
Wow. This thread is great. I read an entire book on keywords that wasn't as good as this thread. Bookmarked. Thanks!

Offline Evenstar

• Bristol, UK
  • YA and PNR
    • View Profile
    • Author Website
« Reply #61 on: January 02, 2015, 04:15:58 PM »
I don't think it matters what order the words are in, so it wouldn't be specific.

Yes, this

Rue

Yes, and this

The more words the reader uses in a search, the more it narrows down. It doesn't matter how many keywords you have, unless some reader, for whatever reason, and however unlikely that might be, chooses to search for all your keywords at the same time.

Yup, this too
I've tested this and it seems to me word order is irrelevant. Say you have seven extended phrases for your keywords and someone searches the last word of one and the first word of another, your book will still show up.

Very well put!

Offline Emily Wibberley

• South Bay California
  • YA Fantasy Writer
    • View Profile
    • Emily Wibberley Read... Write... Repeat...
« Reply #62 on: January 02, 2015, 07:26:36 PM »
Incredible helpful post, Evenstar. Thanks for uploading your brain for us.

Offline Marina Finlayson

• Sydney, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Marina Finlayson
« Reply #63 on: January 02, 2015, 08:02:50 PM »
Lots of food for thought here - thanks for taking the time to post this, Evenstar!

My question is this: when it comes to using keywords to getting into categories, do you think you can use keyword stuffing AND still get into the right (smaller) categories if the keyword is part of a string of keywords?

For example: to get into Fantasy>Swords and Sorcery, you need to use keywords like sword, sorcery, magic and quest. Could you stuff those into one and still get into the right category? So instead of using those as separate keywords, is putting a keyword that is "sword sorcery magic quest," going to still get you into the Swords and Sorcery category? Does anyone know?

I got into the Swords and Sorcery category unintentionally simply by having the word "dragon" in one of my keyword phrases.  I hope this won't be a problem for me, since the book is definitely not sword and sorcery and I didn't want to put it in that category! But it's full of dragons, which is why I wanted "dragon" in the key words. The keyword I used was "urban fantasy dragons". So yes, I'd say "sword sorcery magic quest" would definitely get you in there.

Marina Finlayson | Website | Twitter | Goodreads | Facebook | Instagram

Offline Marian

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 02, 2015, 08:03:39 PM »
Great post, Evenstar! It has given me a lot to think about. Thank you!

Offline Claire Frank

• View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #65 on: January 02, 2015, 08:08:47 PM »
I got into the Swords and Sorcery category unintentionally simply by having the word "dragon" in one of my keyword phrases.  I hope this won't be a problem for me, since the book is definitely not sword and sorcery and I didn't want to put it in that category! But it's full of dragons, which is why I wanted "dragon" in the key words. The keyword I used was "urban fantasy dragons". So yes, I'd say "sword sorcery magic quest" would definitely get you in there.

From what I've seen browsing through various fantasy categories, there are a LOT of books that seem like they don't fit, or are at least a stretch, and I bet that's why. I see things like shifter romances coming up under some of the fantasy subcategories, and they don't really seem to fit there, but who knows. :)

Claire Frank | Website | Twitter | Facebook | Newsletter

Offline Emily Wibberley

• South Bay California
  • YA Fantasy Writer
    • View Profile
    • Emily Wibberley Read... Write... Repeat...
« Reply #66 on: January 02, 2015, 08:20:47 PM »
Yeah, I entered "myths & legends" because my story involves oracles, and I got swords and sorcery as well. I admit it's been fun (distracting!) trying out new keywords. :)

Online Mercia McMahon

• London
    • View Profile
    • MMMporium
« Reply #67 on: January 02, 2015, 09:28:01 PM »
Thanks for this post. Due to it I redid all my books and now a search for "Pacific North West Japanese" has Seattle in Shorts sitting proudly at the top. Of course that is because I meant to type what most people do "Pacific Northwest," but the alternative spelling helped. Prior to reading this post Pacific North West was not one of my keywords.
Brexit in Context: 90%

Preserving Eternity: 30%
Mercia McMahon | Publishing Site | Author Site | Pinterest

Offline Claire Frank

• View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #68 on: January 02, 2015, 10:32:24 PM »
So is there any way to know what words or phrases customers use to search - as in, these more frequently than others? I seem to recall once someone saying you can find out using Google, and although it doesn't translate exactly to Amazon, it might help? Or I might have made that up in my head.

Claire Frank | Website | Twitter | Facebook | Newsletter

Offline Someone

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 03, 2015, 12:11:22 AM »
Do we know exactly how Amazon treat keyword strings, Evenstar? Your advice seems to assume that Amazon treats paranormal romance witch werewolf zombies ghost shifter love as ("paranormal romance" or love) and (witch or werewolf or zombies or ghost or shifter). But if they treat the string as "paranormal romance witch werewolf zombies ghost shifter love," then someone would have to search on exactly that string for your book to come up.
I need to do more research, because my key question is this: Are searches based on your keywords exact matches, full word matches, or just any of the words in the list needed to match.

All of the above and more - hyphens, compound words, commas, etc - is in this.
http://www.amazon.com/Rock-KDP-Keywords-Marketing-Publishing-ebook/dp/B00R6AYHYC
« Last Edit: January 03, 2015, 12:14:15 AM by Someone »

Offline Jane Killick

• Buckinghamshire, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 03, 2015, 12:44:40 AM »
I clearly need to make this keywords thing my new year resolution. Many thanks psoting this.

Mind Secrets: Perceivers #1 only 99c! Try Lucy Shea's women's fiction for free with Matchmaker Cat
Jane Killick | Jane Killick website | Lucy Shea website

Online Jan Hurst-Nicholson

• Durban, South Africa
  • Don't let your emotions overpower your intellect
    • View Profile
    • www.just4kix.jimdo.com
« Reply #71 on: January 03, 2015, 01:05:08 AM »
All of the above and more - hyphens, compound words, commas, etc - is in this.
http://www.amazon.com/Rock-KDP-Keywords-Marketing-Publishing-ebook/dp/B00R6AYHYC

Thanks. Could be useful.
If anyone knows the author/authors, I spotted a couple of typos in the 'Look Inside'.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2015, 01:22:12 AM by Jan Hurst-Nicholson »

Fiction, family saga, humour, short stories, teen, children's
Jan Hurst-Nicholson | author website

Online Jan Hurst-Nicholson

• Durban, South Africa
  • Don't let your emotions overpower your intellect
    • View Profile
    • www.just4kix.jimdo.com
« Reply #72 on: January 03, 2015, 01:34:37 AM »
If you type in your name on Amazon it comes up with a list of your books, and on the left side of the page it shows the categories that your books show up in and how many books you have in that category. This could help with keywords.

I've noticed that my children's books didn't show as I write them under the name Janet Hurst-Nicholson and not Jan Hurst-Nicholson. There is also a blank author page for Janet Hurst-Nicholson. I think I'll have to try to combine them  ::).

Fiction, family saga, humour, short stories, teen, children's
Jan Hurst-Nicholson | author website

Offline Anna Drake

• View Profile
    • Anna Drake
« Reply #73 on: January 03, 2015, 02:32:48 AM »
Thanks Evenstar for a very helpful post on keywords. I started with a keyword "phrase" search and was stunned by what I found. Have updated my keywords and now hope readers use my phrases when searching.  My best to you and yours in the new year!
Anna Drake | Website | Twitter | Amazon | Facebook

Offline JessieCar

• UK
    • View Profile
    • shamansland
« Reply #74 on: January 03, 2015, 06:36:02 AM »
Evenstar, thank you so much for your post. I have tweaked (?!) my keywords and will see what happens. It is quite fun!

I have slightly different keywords on my three books and two short stories. Searching for "metaphysical visionary" seems to pull me up on about page 4.

But just doing the searches seems to give some idea of how Amazon use their sub-categories.