Author Topic: Evenstar's Monster Post on Amazon Keywords  (Read 93110 times)  

Offline IreneP

• Austin, Texas
    • View Profile
    • IrenePreston.com
Re: Evenstar's Monster Post on Amazon Keywords
« Reply #675 on: January 06, 2017, 10:42:58 AM »
I see that the 7 keywords are now in separate blocks with 50 characters per block. I had to take some words out of one block and put them into another when I updated something.

Okay - just ran up against this.

Does anybody know if this changes anything else? Can we still stuff those blocks?

Offline katrina46

• View Profile
« Reply #676 on: January 06, 2017, 11:00:03 AM »

Does anybody know if this changes anything else? Can we still stuff those blocks?
I did and people are buying my new release which just went live yesterday, so I assume the keywords are working fine.

Offline Jan Hurst-Nicholson

• Durban, South Africa
  • Don't let your emotions overpower your intellect
    • View Profile
    • www.just4kix.jimdo.com
« Reply #677 on: January 06, 2017, 11:26:51 AM »

You can add words until you get to 50 characters per block

Fiction, family saga, humour, short stories, teen, children's
Jan Hurst-Nicholson | author website

Offline Harald

• me gusta nadar
    • View Profile
    • HaraldJohnson.com
« Reply #678 on: January 06, 2017, 12:44:46 PM »
You can add words until you get to 50 characters per block

Yep. I started a book with the single keyword block and filled it with 394 characters. When I recently went back to update the book, I was presented with the 7 blocks. I tried to "stuff" them but Zon rejected, and I had to use the 50-chr limit for each. So I just broke my long list apart, spread 'em out into the blocks, and I'm showing the same categories as before.

Fiction starting with The Manhattan Series novellas (1609+). Older work is non-fiction.
Website | FacebookBook Cover Reviews discussion group

Offline ChristinaGarner

• Los Angeles, CA
    • View Profile
    • ChristinaGarner.com
« Reply #679 on: January 08, 2017, 11:24:28 AM »
Hey guys. I've been stalking this thread forever and have learned a lot--thank you!

I wanted to let you know that today I went to upload the final file for my preorder and noticed that some of my keywords had been deleted. (By Amazon.)

They were ones I'd separated with a comma. The other 6 strings remained intact. Just an FYI in case it happens to anyone else. I wouldn't have thought to check that except I happened to be uploading. I added them back in, sans commas, so I'll see if they stick this time.

If anyone else used commas and has the new format, I'd be curious if yours were deleted as well or if mine was an anomaly.

• Durban, South Africa
    • View Profile
    • www.just4kix.jimdo.com
« Reply #680 on: January 08, 2017, 11:42:55 AM »
Hey guys. I've been stalking this thread forever and have learned a lot--thank you!

I wanted to let you know that today I went to upload the final file for my preorder and noticed that some of my keywords had been deleted. (By Amazon.)

They were ones I'd separated with a comma. The other 6 strings remained intact. Just an FYI in case it happens to anyone else. I wouldn't have thought to check that except I happened to be uploading. I added them back in, sans commas, so I'll see if they stick this time.

If anyone else used commas and has the new format, I'd be curious if yours were deleted as well or if mine was an anomaly.

Thanks. I've just changed mine so I will check.

Offline IreneP

• Austin, Texas
    • View Profile
    • IrenePreston.com
« Reply #681 on: January 08, 2017, 07:32:37 PM »
Thanks y'all. 50 char blocks. Got it!

• Durban, South Africa
    • View Profile
    • www.just4kix.jimdo.com
« Reply #682 on: January 31, 2017, 07:16:39 AM »

Yes, darn it. I changed all mine to phrases separated by commas and when I went back to check all I had were single words in each block. Now I'll have to return and change them all again  >:(.

Online Jessie G. Talbot

• Raleigh, NC
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #683 on: January 31, 2017, 08:53:30 AM »
Personally I like the seven word block system. I don't have to count characters in a Word doc!

Jessie G. Talbot | Website | Twitter | Newsletter

Offline Beth_Hammond

• View Profile
    • bethhammondbooks.com
« Reply #684 on: January 31, 2017, 09:37:51 AM »
Thank you for this post. It was interesting to see how it evolved in the comments over time as Amazon changed the allowances for characters. I feel like I'm always one step too late to get in on the good old days lol! But I've taken this and adjusted my keywords appropriately to fill ever character I could.

I'm still figuring this out.
Beth Hammond | bethhammondbooks.com | Facebook | Twitter | Newsletter

Offline ChristinaGarner

• Los Angeles, CA
    • View Profile
    • ChristinaGarner.com
« Reply #685 on: February 07, 2017, 10:23:41 AM »
Yes, darn it. I changed all mine to phrases separated by commas and when I went back to check all I had were single words in each block. Now I'll have to return and change them all again  >:(.

The same thing has happened to me across the board. (Wasn't sure if it was a fluke the first time.)

When I removed the commas, the words stayed. Now my question is whether that block is detrimental--will searching for any of those words help with regards to results, or would it require to person to search for that basic grouping. (In the 7th block with just KWs, that would be very unlikely!)

• Durban, South Africa
    • View Profile
    • www.just4kix.jimdo.com
« Reply #686 on: February 07, 2017, 10:44:13 AM »
The same thing has happened to me across the board. (Wasn't sure if it was a fluke the first time.)

When I removed the commas, the words stayed. Now my question is whether that block is detrimental--will searching for any of those words help with regards to results, or would it require to person to search for that basic grouping. (In the 7th block with just KWs, that would be very unlikely!)

I wondered the same thing. If your keyword was World War Two, or World War 2, would 'World' be counted as one word and show up in something like "The World of Animals"?

Offline Alix Nichols

• Paris
    • View Profile
« Reply #687 on: May 16, 2017, 04:03:41 AM »
Now my question is whether that block is detrimental--will searching for any of those words help with regards to results, or would it require to person to search for that basic grouping. (In the 7th block with just KWs, that would be very unlikely!)

I think I can answer that question. I used two, sometimes three keyword phrases per block, no commas. Then I did a search on Amazon, typing one phrase at a time, and my book showed in the results for each of those phrases. TL;DR: The blocks do not require that readers search for the exact grouping, so Evenstar's approach is still valid. :-)

Alix Nichols | Website | Facebook page

Offline Donna White Glaser

• The final mystery is oneself. -Oscar Wilde
    • View Profile
    • Donna White Glaser
« Reply #688 on: May 19, 2017, 11:04:01 AM »
I can't find anything in KDP's guidelines about using a character in keyword phrases. I know you can't use another author's name or their book title, but when I poked around in the auto-search for phrases with "funny mysteries..." one came up saying "funny mysteries like Stephanie Plum." 
Let me be clear, I in no way wish to circumvent KDP guidelines.
Would using another author's character's name get me in trouble? Because I don't want that. No siree, bub.
  Suspense with a Dash of Humor

Online Evenstar

• Bristol, UK
  • YA and PNR
    • View Profile
    • Author Website
« Reply #689 on: May 19, 2017, 11:28:47 AM »
I can't find anything in KDP's guidelines about using a character in keyword phrases. I know you can't use another author's name or their book title, but when I poked around in the auto-search for phrases with "funny mysteries..." one came up saying "funny mysteries like Stephanie Plum." 
Let me be clear, I in no way wish to circumvent KDP guidelines.
Would using another author's character's name get me in trouble? Because I don't want that. No siree, bub.

Yes, it would. I experimented with it. I put in names like Harry Potter and Sherlock Holmes and was politely asked to remove them. However, they are names that appear in book titles, but I didn't feel like pushing my luck by experimenting with characters that are not so obviously named in the title.

Offline Donna White Glaser

• The final mystery is oneself. -Oscar Wilde
    • View Profile
    • Donna White Glaser
« Reply #690 on: May 19, 2017, 11:39:21 AM »
Yeah, my gut is saying no. I'll err on the side of not  p*ss ing Amazon off. Always the best strategy I think.
  Suspense with a Dash of Humor