Shop Foodie Calendars Now! Shop Dog Calendars Now!
KB Featured Book
My Claw is Quick
by R. S. Pyne

$1.99
Kindle Edition published 2017-08-29
Bestseller ranking: 3229473

Product Description
A hard-boiled detective story with a difference - Grimalkin is not your usual PI. Four legs, whiskers and a tail, perfect night vision and a talent for breaking and entering .... and a track record of crazy dames trying to kill him. He is also the only cat in history with a clown phobia. The case takes an even weirder twist when it becomes clear that a power-crazed parrot is calling all the shots. Sam Spade never had to deal with hysterical gerbil witnesses, pirate assassins or death by custard.

At 10,250 words in length, this is the first in a series of short stories featuring a very unconventional Private Investigator....

Author Topic: $500 Professional Cover Illustration by Jeff Brown Graphics  (Read 71755 times)  

Offline geronl

• View Profile
    • Floyd Looney's Sci-Fi
That is expensive but I can definitely see why!!

Floyd Looney

Offline susan_illene

• Oklahoma
    • View Profile
    • Susan Illene
Yeah, I wouldn't recommend going to those lengths for everyone.  It was just the only way I could get exactly what I wanted, but I'm pleased with the results and the response from my readers has been good so far.  That was the most important thing for me is to grab their attention since this will be the start of a new series.  I'm nervous about how well it will do, but I'm hoping if the cover grabs them they'll give the book a try when I release it.

Susan Illene | Blog | Facebook

Offline VydorScope

• USA
  • "Perseverance over skill, every time"-- V. Trigili
    • View Profile
    • My Novels
For those who want to see what Jeff's final artwork looks like I just posted my cover reveal yesterday.  He did the dragon and background.  I had a separate photo shoot done to get the model shot (we had her pose so it looked like she faced the dragon) and a different designer added her there in as well as handled the typography.  Love how it turned out!

Awesome work!
Vincent 
"INDESCRIBABLY ALLURING" -- S.M. Reine
My Author Website | Pinterest | Facebook | Twitter | My Deviant Art Gallery

Offline ktown

• View Profile
Fantastic work and worth the price.

Okey Dokey

Top notch artistry and craftsmanship.

Offline AlbertB

• View Profile
Re: $450 Professional Cover Artwork for Fantasy and Sci-Fi by Jeff Brown
« Reply #80 on: May 09, 2015, 08:30:29 PM »
Awesome work. Hope you snag a few customers! You definitely deserve it!

M. Stephen-your covers are awesome! Who does them??

Offline RachelSilbes

• View Profile
    • Web Design Information
Love these illustrations! You're a wonderful artist. :)

Online jbrown67

• Saskatoon, SK, Canada
  • Book Cover Illustration
    • View Profile
    • Jeff Brown Graphics
For those who want to see what Jeff's final artwork looks like I just posted my cover reveal yesterday.  He did the dragon and background.  I had a separate photo shoot done to get the model shot (we had her pose so it looked like she faced the dragon) and a different designer added her there in as well as handled the typography.  Love how it turned out!

Thanks for sharing it!
Jeff
$500 Custom Cover Illustration
www.jeffbrowngraphics.com
jeff@jeffbrowngraphics.com

Offline keithdraws

• View Profile
    • Keith Draws Cover Art.
Very nice work. :D

Producing great covers and cover design help

Check me out on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/KeithDrawsCoverArt

Follow me on Twitter

Online jbrown67

• Saskatoon, SK, Canada
  • Book Cover Illustration
    • View Profile
    • Jeff Brown Graphics

Here's another new book cover!
« Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 11:01:22 AM by Betsy the Quilter »
$500 Custom Cover Illustration
www.jeffbrowngraphics.com
jeff@jeffbrowngraphics.com

Offline Deke

• View Profile
Great covers, but show of hands: Who sells enough to justify $450 for cover art?

Dale Kutzera | Website

Offline keithdraws

• View Profile
    • Keith Draws Cover Art.
Great covers, but show of hands: Who sells enough to justify $450 for cover art?

A Good cover can have a serious positive effect on sales: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/05/30/book-cover-design-indies_n_3354504.html
Just like a good editor can help generate a good review and reader loyalty.

$450 is not really a lot of money for high quality illustration like this and probably barley puts the artist into minimum wage territory.

"According to Mark Coker, R.L. Mathewson, a romance writer, went from selling five or six copies a day of her novel, Playing for Keeps, to over 1,000 a day simply by updating her cover image." From the article.

I understand that for indies that level of investment can seem daunting but then so does the time a writer invests in the writing in the first place -in the end can you really afford not to have a good quality cover?
« Last Edit: May 17, 2015, 09:38:25 AM by keithdraws »

Follow me on Twitter

Offline TromboneAl

• Name IRL: Al Macy
    • View Profile
I'd recommend that here, and on your web site, you have samples of covers with the text. The title and other text is an important part of any cover.

Al Macy | Web Site | Facebook | Twitter

Offline Jason Riou

• Manitoba, Canada
    • View Profile
Wow. You shot up to the top of my list for covers. Every one of these just feels epic
War and Peace with magic. A world where monsters rule the frontier and armies of line infantry and cannons settle squabbles in the civilized world. Heroic adventurers are pawns used by powerful nobles in their constant struggle for dominance.
The Sword that Forged a Man series.
JM Riou | Flintlock Fantasy Author

Offline geronl

• View Profile
    • Floyd Looney's Sci-Fi

[/quote

That is cool. I guess if its high-detail at that scale it will be high-quality when it is smaller.

Floyd Looney

Online Annie B

• View Profile
    • My website

Raising hand. Personally, I think cover art and editing are the two places authors should never skimp. Your cover is your first impression to readers.

Offline AJ_Powers

• View Profile
    • AJ Powers - Author
Some fantastic pieces there! Great work.

Offline geronl

• View Profile
    • Floyd Looney's Sci-Fi
I am trying to learn the basics of Blender 3d, enough to throw up a space background, put planet a skin on a sphere and add some sort of space vessel... At least I could make some kind of generic stuff. Maybe. or maybe not. It looks pretty complicated to tell the truth.

Floyd Looney

Offline keithdraws

• View Profile
    • Keith Draws Cover Art.
I am trying to learn the basics of Blender 3d, enough to throw up a space background, put planet a skin on a sphere and add some sort of space vessel... At least I could make some kind of generic stuff. Maybe. or maybe not. It looks pretty complicated to tell the truth.
Check out Turbosquid, you can purchase models of  pretty much anything you'd ever need usually for very reasonable prices and even free sometimes. Then you just arrange, light and render them (sounds easy doesn't it, not so much really but there are a lot of good tutorials on line if you can spare the time).
:D

Follow me on Twitter

Offline geronl

• View Profile
    • Floyd Looney's Sci-Fi
I am doing everything the way all the tutorials say and I can't even get the background to load. jeez

Floyd Looney

Offline geronl

• View Profile
    • Floyd Looney's Sci-Fi
Check out Turbosquid,

I'll give it a look

Floyd Looney

Offline Deke

• View Profile
"I am trying to learn the basics of Blender 3d, enough to throw up a space background, put planet a skin on a sphere and add some sort of space vessel... At least I could make some kind of generic stuff. Maybe. or maybe not. It looks pretty complicated to tell the truth."

Check out Daz Studio.  The program itself is free and models for basic things are affordable. 

Dale Kutzera | Website

Online Annie B

• View Profile
    • My website
Maybe we should not have a discussion about how to make your own covers in the middle of a professional artist's thread? Maybe? :)

Offline Silly Writer

• View Profile
Funny story that relates to a cover Jeff did. My tween-age boy wanted a particular book that Jeff has recently completed a cover for. I bought the print copy (Fantasy), a month ago. Haven't seen the book since.

Friday he comes home from school and pulls out a green plastic box and runs off... I asked what was in the box? It was the book. He didn't want to ruin the cover by putting it into his bookbag, but he wanted to share the book with all his friends in middle school. He'd cleaned out a pencil box, dumping the contents and wiping it down, before putting the treasured book inside.

He's 12. Never treated a book like this.

Can't buy this kind of advertising... Good job, Jeff!

Btw, he loves the story too. It's Conservation of Magic, by Indie Michael W. Layne. Good stuff, according to my tweenie.

Offline geronl

• View Profile
    • Floyd Looney's Sci-Fi
Maybe we should not have a discussion about how to make your own covers in the middle of a professional artist's thread? Maybe? :)

oooohhhh.... great point... That is a bit embarrassing now that you mention it.

We need a face palm emoticon

Floyd Looney