Author Topic: One Year Bible 2015  (Read 17052 times)  

Offline Brownskins

• Dallas, Texas
    • View Profile
One Year Bible 2015
« on: January 12, 2015, 11:55:31 AM »
I never realized there was this section in KBoards.  Well, I am doing the one-year Bible this year, alongside other devotional materials.  I am using the NLT version, and I am on January 12 (today), reading on Rebekah's interference with Esau and Jacob's lives, and Jesus' teaching on new wine on old wineskins.

Anyone else doing it this year?

My thought for the day:  Free will makes us prone to making mistakes, but God will still find a way to lead us back to Him.
Train rides + Kindle reads = Win!
2017-to-date: 4
2017 Target: 60

A few of my thoughts and reviews are posted here:  https://simplyctrocks.blogspot.com/

Offline Brownskins

• Dallas, Texas
    • View Profile
Re: One Year Bible 2015
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2015, 08:34:32 AM »
Thought for the day (based on Jacob's search for a wife):  Even though God can work around our mess-ups, there will always be consequence for when we prematurely take things into our own hands.

A few of my thoughts and reviews are posted here:  https://simplyctrocks.blogspot.com/

Offline Brownskins

• Dallas, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2015, 08:37:20 AM »
This is the One Year Bible I am using for 2015:

Offline Brownskins

• Dallas, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2015, 10:09:09 AM »
Today, my reading was on still on Jacob and his life with Laban and his wives.  So Laban cheats on the segregation of the flocks but Jacob has also one up his sleeve, and ends up with the upper hand.  Interesting enough, my reading on Matthew 10 also talks about being shrewd as snakes and harmless as doves.  I also thought of the shrewd manager who restructured the loans of his masters debtors to his advantage, and was lifted up for being so.

Instead of a thought for the day, my assignment for the day is to research more on how to be shrewd but remain righteous.

Anyone else reading through the Bible in 2015?

Offline Brownskins

• Dallas, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2015, 09:45:43 AM »
Today's reading was primarily on Jacob and his family leaving Laban to go back to Canaan.

Someone going through the One Year plan as well shared to me an interesting perspective on today's reading, that Jacob's 20-year convoluted life with Laban and his wives were all on account of his decision to stick it out in a dysfunctional family set-up, and that his venturing out is a sign of disentangling himself from this unhealthy association. Jacobs decision to leave Laban finally allowed him to be free once again to serve God and live to enjoy the fruits that come with doing so, which is peace and joy.  His point was that we need to take control of our lives and free ourselves from associations with people that pull us down.  He pointed out that Jacob allowed Laban to ruin 20 years of his life.

Here's another point of view:  I believe the 20 years was a time for Jacob to sit on the consequences of what he and his mom did to manipulate and acquire Isaac's blessings.  For one, he learned what it's like to be the victim of deceit.  He learned to be shrewd in dealing with people of devious agendas. He also finally acknowledged and confronted his guilt towards what he did to Esau, as demonstrated by the roller-coaster of emotions he went through as he contemplated his impending reunion with the brother he tricked.  I think in a way God allowed the 20 years to take place to allow some life lessons to sink into Jacob, which they did. On being finally free, my question is, did his suffering or the complexity of his life end with his decision to leave Laban and start anew?  No, and we see it with Rachel's deception re: stealing the gods.  And we will see it later with his favoritism towards Joseph, and the entire ugly rivalry amongst his 12 sons.  Sin will always have consequences, but God will still be able to accomplish his end goals.  We just need to allow ourselves to change and repent daily, and we become more and more like Christ.

Offline Brownskins

• Dallas, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2015, 10:13:35 AM »
In today's OT reading, Jacob reached out to Esau through gifts and respect without expecting anything in return.  He spaced out these gifts, hoping to overwhelm Esau (the brother he betrayed) with love.  And upon meeting him, he bowed to the ground 7x before him, to show respect.  It was encouraging to see that - love and respect with the goal of reconciliation, without expecting anything in return. 

Funny thing, is, despite saying he will meet up with Esau in Seir, he never showed up.  He went another direction.  Some relationships are just not meant to be comfortable.

Another insight I got was that each succeeding generation, though imperfect, will have redeeming qualities.  While Jacob got scared by the possible retaliation of the people in Shechem, his sons fought for the honor of their sister.  It really wasnt right to intermarry with these people as well.  Jacobs sons succumbed to jealousy later on toward Joseph, but at least they cut the trail of cowardice (which started with Abraham lying about Sarah out of fear).

For the NT reading, it had to do with cities unresponsive to the gospel.  I think it confirms the OT insight I had that no matter how difficult a reach out effort is, if we just act out of compassion, and decide to love and respect those we are reaching out to, then we would have done our part.  The rest is up to God, and up to these persons.  What God desires is our faith and obedience, and this isnt hinged on how people respond to the Gospel since that is their choice, and also, it depends on whether God softened or hardened their hearts, and if today is the right time for them.

Thoughts anyone?

Offline Brownskins

• Dallas, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2015, 07:06:01 AM »
Following up on the discussion of how to be shrewd while remaining righteous, the reading today (Ps. 15) provides more insight on the righteousness aspect:

Lead blameless lives and do what is right, speaking the truth from sincere hearts (I read this as follow the laws of the land and do not lie)
Refuse to gossip or speak evil of friends, or harm neighbors (I read this as speak positively and constructively of everyone you work with)
Keep your promises even when it hurts (Maintain integrity)
Lend money without charging interest and do not be bribed to lie about the innocent (This looks very clear to me)

Okay, so hopefully in the next readings, I can also glean more insight on the shrewdness aspect.

Have a good weekend!

Offline Brownskins

• Dallas, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2015, 09:59:40 AM »
      I don't know if I should continue this.  I was kind of hoping for some interaction with others as we go through the Bible this year.  Anyway, I hope that by posting these thoughts, I am able to help some of you there who are in this spiritual book club.

Todays reading was on Joseph, and Jesus take on speaking in parables.

Just a few thoughts:

• While Joseph had to go through his own refining process re: his pride (as immaturely displayed in the careless way he wore his coat, told on his brothers, and shared his controversial dreams), I would say Jacob also continued his refining process - Jacob didn't fully learn to take a stand against biased parenting from his own experience with his mom and Esau, he had to learn the other part of it, this time as a parent.
      • On Josephs story timeline:  God is with us through everything we go through, even in our "jails"!  If you think about it, Joseph may be in a physical jail, but a lot of us are in our own jails of sin.  I like how Joseph's confidence in God grew alongside his growth in the area of humility.  We see this clearly when he acknowledged to Pharoah, "It is beyond my power to do this, but God can tell you what it means and set you at ease." Can you imagine if he learned to communicate this way to his brothers and father earlier on? Some things we do have to learn while in our "jails".

Offline Brownskins

• Dallas, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2015, 06:04:44 PM »
What stuck out to me in today's reading was the "save 20% (or 1/5) during your good years to prepare for your tough years... :)  This is with reference to the 7 good years and 7 lean years during Joseph's time administering under Pharoah.

Offline Brownskins

• Dallas, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2015, 11:13:45 AM »
Heres another one of the references to shrewd from todays reading, Psalm 18:26

To the pure you show yourself pure, but to the crooked you show yourself shrewd.

Seems consistent with the be all things to all men to save as many as possible so to the crooked we need to be very wise and shrewd, in order to also save ourselves.

Offline Brownskins

• Dallas, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2015, 11:36:06 AM »
Also, isn't it interesting that instead of rushing to his brothers when he saw them and when they bowed down to him, Joseph exercised a lot of self-restraint?  He did not approach them with an "I told you so" mentality, or "Look at how God delivered me in spite of what you have done to me" attitude.

What a different Joseph from the carefree, unbridled young Joseph who alienated his brothers with his overconfidence and ever awesome mentality (Guess what my dream was... guess what Dad gave me... Hey I'm gonna tell on you!... etc)

Joseph allowed his brothers to go through their guilt and eventually, repentance.  Then he came forth and forgave them, then brought back all the glory to God for everything that has happened. 

Offline Brownskins

• Dallas, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2015, 07:58:18 AM »
So many good things that came out of Joseph's entire "rejected-slave-imprisoned-governor" story:
  • His brothers developed a genuine fear and respect for God
  • His brothers learned to care for each other, and grew to be willing to die for each other
  • His brothers learned to speak truthfully
  • Joseph learned humility and self-control
  • Joseph's dependence and reliance on God became so apparent, that he faded in the background
  • Joseph's confidence that God is in control of everything that happens in life grew
  • Jacob's entire family got reunited - only made possible through God
  • Jacob himself became sober - and learned to care for all his sons, and not just Joseph

Offline Brownskins

• Dallas, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2015, 10:31:33 AM »
Okay, time for discussion, former active members of this Book Club:

What are your thoughts on these 3 questions:
1) Despite everything he has learned about the errors of favoritism, why did Jacob still choose to bless Ephraim as if he were the first born of Joseph?
2) Why did Jacob choose to bless Judah despite his sin with Tamar, and not Joseph, as the one whose generation will eventually lead to Jesus?
3) Where does Jacob get his insights for big decisions like this - I can't recall any specific guidance or directions from God?

Offline Brownskins

• Dallas, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2015, 01:56:40 PM »
Okay, time for discussion, former active members of this Book Club:

What are your thoughts on these 3 questions:
1) Despite everything he has learned about the errors of favoritism, why did Jacob still choose to bless Ephraim as if he were the first born of Joseph?
2) Why did Jacob choose to bless Judah despite his sin with Tamar, and not Joseph, as the one whose generation will eventually lead to Jesus?
3) Where does Jacob get his insights for big decisions like this - I can't recall any specific guidance or directions from God?

I've asked at least 2 ministers and other respected members in my congregation and so far the answers I've gotten boil down to this:

Jacob never really did explicitly learn the errors of favoritism.  His decision to bless Ephraim and Judah is his own, and is believed to be directed by God, not obviously stated in the Scriptures but inferred from his conversations with God.

Just food for thought to y'all - other insights welcome.

In yesterday and today's reading, my main take away is that Moses was chosen by God for his purposes.  Again, he wasn't born in ideal circumstances, and his own experiences growing up were not perfect, but he was chosen by God to lead his people out of the slavery they were under in Egypt.  In like manner, we are also chosen by God not based on our own worth or wealth of experiences, but simply because he willed it so.

Offline Brownskins

• Dallas, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2015, 07:57:09 AM »
Today's reading included the ongoing negotiation between God and Moses, where eventually God got upset and told Moses to go and let Aaron be his mouthpiece.

Well, in Exodus 4:24, it says that " On the way to Egypt, at a place where Moses and his family had stopped for the night, the Lord confronted him and was about to kill him."  And this it goes on to talk about how Zipporah intervened and such kill did not happen.

This is the first time that this verse stuck out to me, after having read this passage multiple times.  Can you imagine the frustration that God must have had on Moses that it went to the extreme of Him wanting to kill Moses?

Offline Brownskins

• Dallas, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2015, 08:22:03 AM »
I always leave the topic on divorce to ministers.  But related to this, in today's readings, I've bookmarked this passage:

Matthew 19:8-9 "Jesus replied, "Moses permitted divorce only as a concession to your hard hearts, but it was not what God had originally intended.  And I tell you this, whoever divorces his wife and marries someone else commits adultery - unless his wife has been unfaithful."  (There is a footnote that some manuscripts add "And anyone who marries a divorced woman commits adultery." with a cross-reference to Matthew 5:32)

I would like to have topical Bible study on this issue so if anyone of you have an exhaustive list of scriptural references that addresses this, please share.  I prefer not to read a book with personal interpretations.  I would like to read the scriptures first before I read commentaries.

Offline Brownskins

• Dallas, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2015, 10:48:42 PM »
Today's reading was on Pharaoh, the plagues that hit Egypt, and his hard and stubborn heart.  What I learned today is that only God can soften or harden a man's heart. So even in reaching out to people, only God can determine the outcome.

Offline Brownskins

• Dallas, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2015, 01:50:29 PM »
Today we take a lesson from the ants:

Though they may have no prince or governor or rule to make them work, they labor hard all summer, gathering food for the winter. 

Diligence, patience, fiscal responsibility and reliability go a long way in life.

Offline Christine Tate

• Virginia Beach, VA
    • View Profile
    • Christine Tate
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2015, 09:36:02 AM »
I always leave the topic on divorce to ministers.  But related to this, in today's readings, I've bookmarked this passage:

Matthew 19:8-9 "Jesus replied, "Moses permitted divorce only as a concession to your hard hearts, but it was not what God had originally intended.  And I tell you this, whoever divorces his wife and marries someone else commits adultery - unless his wife has been unfaithful."  (There is a footnote that some manuscripts add "And anyone who marries a divorced woman commits adultery." with a cross-reference to Matthew 5:32)

I would like to have topical Bible study on this issue so if anyone of you have an exhaustive list of scriptural references that addresses this, please share.  I prefer not to read a book with personal interpretations.  I would like to read the scriptures first before I read commentaries.
I think when this topic comes up, we, as a society, always ask the wrong question.  The issue here isn't divorce.  Scripture clearly states that God hates divorce, but does allow it.  The real issue that should be discussed is re-marriage after divorce.  If you ask the question "Does God allow re-marriage after you have been divorced", you'll get an entirely different conversation. So the issue isn't about divorce, it's about re-marriage.