Author Topic: Developmental Editor for Hire  (Read 3039 times)  

Offline TheIndieEditor

• Raleigh, NC
    • View Profile
    • TheIndieEditor.com
Developmental Editor for Hire
« on: January 12, 2015, 02:04:38 PM »
Hi, everyone! I'm an editor with five years of general experience and three years of full-time freelance experience. I offer developmental editing, copy editing and proofreading. My recent projects have included science fiction, horror, fantasy, romance, erotica, humor and literary fiction, and some nonfiction work including religious and self-help projects. Here are some details about my services:

Developmental editing: Developmental editing focuses on improvements which can be made to your story itself so that it is internally consistent (characters always in character, facts checked, narrative flows well and makes sense, and so on.) Think of this as rough draft editing - you send me your rough story, and I give it back to you with every single possible problem I can find within the story annotated, along with paragraphs of written suggestions and advice for making your story the best that it can be. As this process is entirely story-centric and implies a significant deal of rewriting, proofreading is not included with this service.

Developmental consultation: Developmental consultations are designed for authors who are struggling to finish or even start a manuscript, and who need some real hands-on support. I will work with you over Skype to get your story moving, to provide a structure to get your work on track, and to provide any other support you need as an author to turn your draft into a published novel! I can help you brainstorm new ideas, help you with the technical aspects of your writing, and can help you identify your strengths and unique writing style to move you toward self-confidence, self-efficacy, and publication.

Copy editing: Copy editing includes all proofreading along with advice for improving your clarity, flow and syntax. Basic fact-checking and fixing of simple logical issues (i.e. non sequitors) is also included.

Proofreading: Proofreading is my last and most basic service, which involves spelling, grammar, punctuation and word usage checks. Getting your document checked by a professional proofreader is a must before publication!

To learn more about my services, check out my website at TheIndieEditor.com and follow me on Twitter at @TheIndieEditor.

Thank you, and I look forward to working with you! :)
« Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 03:16:45 PM by TheIndieEditor »
The Indie Editor
Freelance Editor at TheIndieEditor.com
KBoards Promo Thread

Developmental editing, copy editing, and proofreading!

Twitter

Offline TheIndieEditor

• Raleigh, NC
    • View Profile
    • TheIndieEditor.com
Re: Developmental Editor for Hire
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2015, 11:04:45 AM »
Hi everyone, just checking in. I've already met some great people here on KBoards and I'm excited to meet even more! :) If you're looking for an editor, I still have some openings on my schedule in February. PM me for details, or contact me at TheIndieEditor@gmail.com!
The Indie Editor
KBoards Promo Thread

Twitter

Offline TheIndieEditor

• Raleigh, NC
    • View Profile
    • TheIndieEditor.com
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2015, 11:19:12 AM »
Hi everyone, just checking in for this week! I hope everyone is doing well - you can check out my website at TheIndieEditor.com for any of your editing needs. I recently had a rescheduling for later next month, which means that I have some availability at the beginning of March! Email me at TheIndieEditor@gmail.com if you're interested on getting on my schedule! :)
The Indie Editor
KBoards Promo Thread

Twitter

Offline TheIndieEditor

• Raleigh, NC
    • View Profile
    • TheIndieEditor.com
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2015, 03:02:24 PM »
Hey, everyone, just checking in again! I hope everyone has had a great start to March. I just wanted to inform everyone that I have some openings in mid-to-late April, and if you're interested you can check out my website at TheIndieEditor.com! You can also, as always, email me directly at TheIndieEditor@gmail.com. Feel free to get in touch! :)
The Indie Editor
KBoards Promo Thread

Twitter

Offline TheIndieEditor

• Raleigh, NC
    • View Profile
    • TheIndieEditor.com
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2015, 03:36:07 PM »
Hi, everyone! I wanted to check in again, and to let everyone know that I recently had a rescheduling that has left me with a three-day opening in July, the 15th to the 17th, and that I also currently have some openings in August! If you're interested, you can check out my website at TheIndieEditor.com and email me directly at TheIndieEditor@gmail.com. I hope that everyone is enjoying the summeror the winter, if you're in the Southern Hemisphere! :)
The Indie Editor
KBoards Promo Thread

Twitter

Offline TheIndieEditor

• Raleigh, NC
    • View Profile
    • TheIndieEditor.com
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2015, 03:50:13 PM »
Hi again, authors of KBoards! I just wanted to give a quick update, and to mention that I have a couple of openings in my schedule in September! There's typically quite a bit of rescheduling in the hustle and bustle of summer, so if you have a manuscript that needs a proofread, a copy edit or a developmental edit in the upcoming months, feel free to send me an email at TheIndieEditor@gmail.com or to check out my website at TheIndieEditor.com. As always, I hope everyone is doing well! :)
The Indie Editor
KBoards Promo Thread

Twitter

Offline TheIndieEditor

• Raleigh, NC
    • View Profile
    • TheIndieEditor.com
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2015, 07:12:27 PM »
Hi, everyone! I still have one opening in late September and a couple more in October, so if you need a developmental edit, a copy edit, or a proofread for your manuscript, feel free to email me at TheIndieEditor@gmail.com or to look over my website at TheIndieEditor.com for a more detailed explanation of my services. I hope to talk to you soon! :)
The Indie Editor
KBoards Promo Thread

Twitter

Offline TheIndieEditor

• Raleigh, NC
    • View Profile
    • TheIndieEditor.com
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2015, 11:24:35 AM »
Hey, authors! I just recently had a rescheduling that has left my next week open (September 7 to September 11), so if you have anything that you want to get edited on fairly short notice, I have that one open slot. Otherwise, I have a couple of openings in November as well! You can check out my website at TheIndieEditor.com, or you can email me at TheIndieEditor@gmail.com. Thanks, and I hope that everyone's September is going great so far! :)
The Indie Editor
KBoards Promo Thread

Twitter

Offline JTriptych

• View Profile
    • facebook
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2015, 11:30:26 AM »
I'm still finishing up my first manuscript (probably be done in a few weeks)  but I appreciate threads like these because I have a feeling I will need an editor soon enough!  ;D

Offline TheIndieEditor

• Raleigh, NC
    • View Profile
    • TheIndieEditor.com
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2015, 11:17:24 AM »
Congratulations, John! That's great to hear. :D Feel free to send me an email or a private message--I'd love to help!
The Indie Editor
KBoards Promo Thread

Twitter

Offline TheIndieEditor

• Raleigh, NC
    • View Profile
    • TheIndieEditor.com
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2015, 11:16:11 AM »
Hi again, everyone--just letting everyone know that I have some openings in my schedule for editing projects in December! If you need to have your manuscript proofread, copy edited, or developmentally/content edited, check out my website at TheIndieEditor.com or email me directly at TheIndieEditor@gmail.com. I'd love to help!
The Indie Editor
KBoards Promo Thread

Twitter

Offline Marseille, France or Bust

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2015, 01:59:32 PM »
I used Jake and this service for The Abduction of Nelly Don. He did a fabulous developmental edit. Will use again.

Hi again, everyone--just letting everyone know that I have some openings in my schedule for editing projects in December! If you need to have your manuscript proofread, copy edited, or developmentally/content edited, check out my website at TheIndieEditor.com or email me directly at TheIndieEditor@gmail.com. I'd love to help!

Patrice Williams Marks | Website/Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Newsletter | Youtube

Offline TheIndieEditor

• Raleigh, NC
    • View Profile
    • TheIndieEditor.com
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2015, 05:43:36 PM »
Thanks so much, Patrice! :)
The Indie Editor
KBoards Promo Thread

Twitter

Offline TheIndieEditor

• Raleigh, NC
    • View Profile
    • TheIndieEditor.com
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2015, 03:01:03 PM »
Hi again, authors of KBoards! I've had a couple of authors move back their editing dates to later months, which means that I now have an opening the week of November 16 and a couple of slots for December! If you need your manuscript looked over for developmental issues or for a copy edit or proofread, you can send me an inquiry by clicking here or you can email me directly at TheIndieEditor@gmail.com.
The Indie Editor
KBoards Promo Thread

Twitter

Offline TheIndieEditor

• Raleigh, NC
    • View Profile
    • TheIndieEditor.com
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2016, 12:03:56 PM »
Quick update: I have next week (January 11-15) open! After the holidays there were a couple of clients who rescheduled, so if you have a manuscript ready to go and don't want to worry about rush rates, feel free to email me at TheIndieEditor@gmail.com and/or check out my website at TheIndieEditor.com so that we can pen you in for the week! :)
The Indie Editor
KBoards Promo Thread

Twitter

Offline Betsy the Quilter

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
  • Administrator
  • Alexandria, VA
  • Love all, moderate all, to quote my friend Harvey
    • View Profile
    • Betsy True Designs
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2016, 12:25:32 PM »
Hi,

Sorry we missed giving you your official welcome!  Here it is (and it gives you a free bump!)

Welcome to Kboards!

You're welcome to promote your business and website here in the Writers' Caf!

Now that you have an official thread, you'll want to add your listing to our Yellow Pages Listing, found here:
http://www.kboards.com/yp/

The listing is free to KB members and is completely self-service; you can add and edit your listing from the page.  More information on our Yellow Pages listing can be found here.

In your thread here, we ask that the same basic rules be followed as we have for authors in the Book Bazaar:  you may have this one thread about your service and must post to it rather than start a new thread each time.  New threads about the service wil be removed.  Please bookmark this thread so that you can find it again to post to.  And, you may not make back-to-back posts to the thread within seven days.  If someone responds (such as this post), you may reply but otherwise must wait seven days, thanks!

Note that members may provide civil and honest feedback about your service to this thread, and you may respond in a civil manner.  Disputes between you and clients should be handled off site.

Betsy
KBoards Moderator

Note that this welcome does not constitute an endorsement or vetting of a service by KBoards.  Members should do due diligence when considering using a service, for example, by asking KB members for feedback and doing an Internet search such as "service provider name" complaints. 
Goodreads Goal -- 75 books

Joined 10/27/2008  | Miss you, Harvey, Jeff & Dona!
Harvey Chute (1962-2015), KB Founder

Proud Owner: Oasis/Voyage/Touch/Basic/K1/Fire HDX
Betsy True Designs Facebook | My Store

Offline TheIndieEditor

• Raleigh, NC
    • View Profile
    • TheIndieEditor.com
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2017, 03:16:24 PM »
Hi again, authors of KBoards! It's been a while, but I wanted to make a belated post for New Year's with a few updates :)

Most importantly, I'm now offering developmental consultations! As I've updated in my original post, developmental consultations are designed for authors who are struggling to finish or even start a manuscript, and who need some real hands-on support. I will work with you over Skype to get your story moving, to provide a structure to get your work on track, and to provide any other support you need as an author to turn your draft into a published novel! I can help you brainstorm new ideas, help you with the technical aspects of your writing, and can help you identify your strengths and unique writing style to move you toward self-confidence, self-efficacy, and publication. These consultations are scheduled independent of my normal edits, as well, which means that I can schedule you for the very near future if you need some quick help!

Additionally, after a few multi-week projects were moved out to later in the year, I now have one editing slot open in April and a couple in May. If you'd like to have your manuscript edited, you can email me directly at TheIndieEditor@gmail.com. As always, you can also check out my website at TheIndieEditor.com for descriptions of my services, testimonials, and a little more information about me. I hope to hear from you soon!
The Indie Editor
KBoards Promo Thread

Twitter

Offline TheIndieEditor

• Raleigh, NC
    • View Profile
    • TheIndieEditor.com
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2017, 02:44:16 PM »
Hi, everyone! I have some openings in late June and early July, so if you need editing done for your manuscript, feel free to email me at TheIndieEditor@gmail.com. You can also look over my website at TheIndieEditor.com for a more detailed explanation of my services, along with testimonials and a little information about me. Additionally, if you feel you need some one-on-one help, I'd be very happy to assist you with a developmental consultation over a Skype call. I hope to talk to you soon!
The Indie Editor
KBoards Promo Thread

Twitter