Author Topic: Split Up and Revise, or Start Over?  (Read 486 times)  

Offline K'Sennia Visitor

• Deep inside the AGU
  • I've got an idea!
    • View Profile
    • The Indie Authors Accountability Group: Open to All Genres!
Split Up and Revise, or Start Over?
« on: January 13, 2015, 08:55:16 PM »

So right now I've got these two books on kindle (the ones in my sig) they're both pretty short, though one of them might just be a novelette. I really don't know what genre they are because I am still learning genre and didn't consider it when I wrote them.

I'm trying to make them be a series, but they don't really connect that well together, other than a few things I shoehorned in to try and make them fit. I unpublished them when I thought I couldn't do kindle anymore, and then just recently republished. They have never sold very well, due to hundreds of problems.

But I want to get serious about this business now and so I see two choices, I can split the two stories up, and write two separate series for each, researching the genre they each fit best in, then revising the heck out of them, and making them longer, better, and more marketable.

Or I could scrap this pen name, say, "lesson learned," and start over fresh doing everything right the first time.

What would be the advice of those of you who are already successful and doing it right?
« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 09:46:59 PM by Queen_of_Shorts »

Offline Edward Giordano

• Indianapolis, IN
    • View Profile
    • ACX Profile
Re: Split Up and Revise, or Start Over?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2015, 09:01:10 PM »
Could you bundle them? Also, your covers need work. Consider hiring a professional, you don't want to give one ounce of anything less than professional to a potential reader. In terms of connecting them or splitting the series into two, that is really up to you. You know where your heart is interested, so go do that.
Looking for a Narrator? Consider me.
Open to all projects!

Offline K'Sennia Visitor

• Deep inside the AGU
  • I've got an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2015, 10:05:49 PM »

Oh, I agree the covers are awful. I made them with cover creator because I didn't have the funds at the time to hire anyone. But once I figure out all the other stuff I'll make sure to have really great genre specific pro looking covers!

I don't think bundling would work because the two stories are so different and don't even include the same characters.

Offline Edward Giordano

• Indianapolis, IN
    • View Profile
    • ACX Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2015, 10:25:12 PM »
If you don't think the stories are close enough to bundle them, then are they really apart of the same series? Things you need to ask yourself.
Looking for a Narrator? Consider me.
Open to all projects!

Offline K'Sennia Visitor

• Deep inside the AGU
  • I've got an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2015, 10:37:13 PM »

You got it! :) That's why my subject line says, Split Up and Revise, or Start Over. I know I need to split them up because they're really not part of the same series. I was trying to make them be, but it isn't working.  :)

My dilemma is whether I should bother splitting them, and turning them into two separate series, or if I should scrap them and start over with something brand new.

Online Amanda M. Lee

• Listen to me, you will.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2015, 10:44:55 PM »
I'm never a fan of trying to shoehorn existing work into a box. If you want a series, envision a series.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2015, 01:56:02 AM by YodaRead »

Amanda M. Lee

Offline K'Sennia Visitor

• Deep inside the AGU
  • I've got an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2015, 01:12:08 AM »

Thanks Yoda! Think I found a solution. :)

Buy Scrivener for Windows or Mac